CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
doubledribble
PageUSC
KaneisAble
Gamecocks1137
Jmansour333
GarnetSwarm1990
b381l
thumpin big
kingofnerf
TheUSCMike
Busta out indefinite (1866)
SOS says his next st (1576)
Our Road Upset Wins (1462)
CBSSports SEC predic (737)
No easy road for our (617)
Roll call for Auburn (535)
Our Defense? (500)
University of Buffal (471)
Michael Sams done in (360)
Party like it's 1903 (256)
SC vs Auburn -- Playmaker
2015 Commitment - Davon D
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
MMA: Holeve (Down Syndrom
Why is everyone anticipat
Holiday desserts
To ANYONE complaining abo
Our Defense?
CBSSports SEC prediction
SOS says his next stop is

Old 01-10-2013, 05:43 AM   #1
Spurminator
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 550
Spurminator is sharpening his clawsSpurminator is sharpening his clawsSpurminator is sharpening his clawsSpurminator is sharpening his claws
Default Questions..I have questions:

1) Since Connor is out of spring drills, what QB do you think will start vs. Dylan at the spring game?
2) With Michigan using the idea to crash the end down the line and looping the LB around the end, is that going to compromise the zone read scheme?
3)With Spurrier saying ALL positions are competitions, can Connor catch up to Dylan without the spring work?
4)After ML is through with the NFL, wouldn't he be a helluva RB Coach and Recruiting Coordinator?
5)If it is true that clemson and Georgia spend more money on recruiting than we do, what can we do to change that?
and lastly...
6)With the hard work and effort that the coaches and players have put in to give us TWO 11-win seasons in a row, is it really beyond reach that 50,000 Gamecock fans cant put a couple hours aside and come to the spring game?
Spurminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #2
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material
Default Re: Questions..I have questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurminator View Post
1) Since Connor is out of spring drills, what QB do you think will start vs. Dylan at the spring game?
2) With Michigan using the idea to crash the end down the line and looping the LB around the end, is that going to compromise the zone read scheme?
3)With Spurrier saying ALL positions are competitions, can Connor catch up to Dylan without the spring work?
4)After ML is through with the NFL, wouldn't he be a helluva RB Coach and Recruiting Coordinator?
5)If it is true that clemson and Georgia spend more money on recruiting than we do, what can we do to change that?
and lastly...
6)With the hard work and effort that the coaches and players have put in to give us TWO 11-win seasons in a row, is it really beyond reach that 50,000 Gamecock fans cant put a couple hours aside and come to the spring game?
1. Nosovitch. Mitch will probably back up both squads.
2. No, for every action there is an opposite reaction which can be found as a benefit. Better OL blocking is needed, regardless.
3. Yes, he already knows the offense inside out and upside down.
4. Only if he has such interest and he might coach at any level school to get started. He may never coach in college. Much would depend on how long his pro career might be and where it is. A very short career might not make him an ideal candidate to get into college coaching until he has more experience at a lower level, while a relatively long career might open an opportunity, like Duce, to coach in the NFL. My guess is that he will develop other interests outside football once his playing days are over.
5. We don't need a bigger budget. If SOS wanted one, he would have gotten it easily long ago.
6. They could, but it is doubtful. 50,000 is lots of people for a meaningless scrimmage. Win a MNC and then anything is possible.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
jared
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 14402
jared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his comb

Not sure we'd ever get 50,000 for the spring game. That's a whole lotta people.
jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

2. the counter you saw us use on some of the big runs connor had was leaving the dt unblocked instead and reading him. the other counters i guess would be option to that side of the field or playaction and try and take advantage of the backer aggressively trying to take away the qb running lane to the outside.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
LakeMonticelloCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
LakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudly

In order to get 50,000 to come you are going to have to have some events go on prior to the game. A concert, kids games, and lots of other things in the Old Farmer's Market area.

There's no reason we can't, but they've got to market the thing a little better.
LakeMonticelloCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
ra742002
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
ra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
2. the counter you saw us use on some of the big runs connor had was leaving the dt unblocked instead and reading him. the other counters i guess would be option to that side of the field or playaction and try and take advantage of the backer aggressively trying to take away the qb running lane to the outside.
yeah that's a different play. it's actually the sweep out of the gun/outside zone. The backs path is wider and his aiming point is outside the tackle. Cam newton made a living off of that, and so does Oregon. Another way to handle it, is to pull and wrap the H-back/Full back to the LB that is looping and block him in the alley for a big gain. We did that against Nebraska some with Dimarco.

ra742002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
JohnnyB21
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1050
JohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra742002 View Post
yeah that's a different play. it's actually the sweep out of the gun/outside zone. The backs path is wider and his aiming point is outside the tackle. Cam newton made a living off of that, and so does Oregon. Another way to handle it, is to pull and wrap the H-back/Full back to the LB that is looping and block him in the alley for a big gain. We did that against Nebraska some with Dimarco.
When did we play Nebraska with DiMarco?

34-17 29-7 34-13 27-17 31-17

Coming for #6 next season!!!

154-71 in past 5 seasons against Clemson.
JohnnyB21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post
1. Nosovitch. Mitch will probably back up both squads.
2. No, for every action there is an opposite reaction which can be found as a benefit. Better OL blocking is needed, regardless.
3. Yes, he already knows the offense inside out and upside down.
4. Only if he has such interest and he might coach at any level school to get started. He may never coach in college. Much would depend on how long his pro career might be and where it is. A very short career might not make him an ideal candidate to get into college coaching until he has more experience at a lower level, while a relatively long career might open an opportunity, like Duce, to coach in the NFL. My guess is that he will develop other interests outside football once his playing days are over.
5. We don't need a bigger budget. If SOS wanted one, he would have gotten it easily long ago.
6. They could, but it is doubtful. 50,000 is lots of people for a meaningless scrimmage. Win a MNC and then anything is possible.

Very well said Brat...i agree with each of these...but for #1...remember we still have Clifford and Austin Hails that may get a few reps too

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Brat's response is pretty much spot on.

I'll add to the conversation that our recruiting budget is higher than reported. There are a lot of ways to run the numbers and we report ours a little differently.

...but yes, if SOS wanted more money for recruiting, he'd get it.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
1982Gamecock
Recruit

Male

1982Gamecock is sharpening his claws1982Gamecock is sharpening his claws1982Gamecock is sharpening his claws1982Gamecock is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB21 View Post
When did we play Nebraska with DiMarco?
Last year's bowl game.
1982Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #11
1982Gamecock
Recruit

Male

1982Gamecock is sharpening his claws1982Gamecock is sharpening his claws1982Gamecock is sharpening his claws1982Gamecock is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982Gamecock View Post
Last year's bowl game.
Or was he the prior year class in which case he didn't play vs Neb.?
1982Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #12
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
Brat's response is pretty much spot on.

I'll add to the conversation that our recruiting budget is higher than reported. There are a lot of ways to run the numbers and we report ours a little differently.

...but yes, if SOS wanted more money for recruiting, he'd get it.
Tenn doesn't have much choice. There isn't enough talent in state so their recruiting budget is larger based on the traveling they do. Clemson wastes money going all over the country so they can say they are in on top recruits. Just think how much money they blew this year just to look like idiots for offering a guys whole posse scholarships then having him say "nevermind".

Spurrier has always felt that he could get players to win from the region so the travel expenses are significantly less and so far it looks like he has been spot on.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #13
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Coach Spurrier plans to play Connor Mitch the entire 2nd half of the Spring Game. It'll probably be Nosovitch and Thompson in the 1st half and then a mixture of Nosovitch and walkon QBs with Mitch getting all the snaps for whatever team he is on. One thing is for sure though and that is Nosovitch is going to get a turn of burn this Spring.

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Elliott and Mangus are smart enough to make some adjustments going forward if teams continue to do that to us.

Quote:
The coaches have said a player can not lose their starting job due to injury. It is not Connor, a senior, that is playing catch up. Its Thompson and the rest of the QB crew trying to catch up to Connor.

Quote:
I doubt we see Marcus Lattimore coaching. I'm not sure if he has the personality for it. I think he would be great at doing a career away from sports.

Quote:
Both schools have bigger budgets but Coach Spurrier is adament that our staff stay in the designated recruiting zones. SC/NC/GA/FL and parts of AL/VA/MD/NJ/PA/TN/KY/TX where the staff has connections.

and lastly...

Quote:
It'll take a better marketing and planning job by our school. They'll need to turn this game into a full blown festival.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #14
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
and lastly...
1* More than likely Nosovitch being that he has a year in the system
under his belt. With Clifford gone, and Strickland graduating, he and
Connor Mitch will be the only QBs on the roster behind Thompson unless
we have a Walk On who I don't know about. ... Connor Mitch has gotten
a lot of attention from our coaches, but I doubt that he will step in from
day one and know the offense well enough in a few weeks to step up
to the number two spot.

2* IMO, we only used the ZR about 60-65% of the time as a base offense
and that was because it was the system that Marcus and Connor Shaw
were comfortable in and what Shawn Elliott has worked with most of his
coaching career. With Marcus gone now, I think it is a good time to re-tool
our offene and go to more of a multi set / Spread / I formation offense
and start phasing out the ZR as the majority of our offense. That's my
opinion so I'm not sure what Spurrier's plans for our offense is going
forward. With Connor Mitch coming in, I'd bet the farm he's going to go
more away from the ZR.

3* Unless a major issue comes up with Connor's recovery that prevents
him from working out this summer and/or practicing this fall....Connor
Shaw will be the Starting QB for the Gamecocks in Game One of 2013

4* If everything I've heard about Marcus is true he has personal plans
for his furture that would steer him away from coaching football once his
Pro Career is through.. If True, He has more important goals in his life
that are more admireable.

5* Why change it when it's been that way for years and we are showing
better results the past 3-4 years than Clemson, Georgia and a few other
teams that out spend us in Recruiting ? ... as long as we are in the mix
for an SEC Title every season like we are right now there is no need to
worry about it. I like what we've done, where we are now and the look
of the future.

6* NO it's not beyond reach, but I doubt you'll see those kinds of numbers
here unless this team actually wins an SEC title or two, and makes a
trip to the NC playoffs. We are still working on building our winning tradition.
Those teams that are bringing in 45-50K fans to the spring game (or more)
are those teams that constantly have good shots at being in the National
title hunt. We're not quite there yet.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #15
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
and lastly...

Spurrier can get all the recruiting money he wants. He just doesn't need it they way he and his staff recruits. And that won't change.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:28 AM   #16
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Holtz spent more on recruiting, and Spurrier had to have some kinda budget with that first class he brought in, but I don't think you will see any increases until the University pays off the facility upgrades.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:45 AM   #17
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripitandripit2007 View Post

Very well said Brat...i agree with each of these...but for #1...remember we still have Clifford and Austin Hails that may get a few reps too
Clifford is gone
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:03 AM   #18
Gamecock Rob
Household Name

Male

Gamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot material

Regarding the spring game, it would be ideal if there we could work with the conference for a big baseball series, then, as others have mentioned, have a concert in town. The issue with bringing many people to the game is many people live out of town and spend the spring doing things around where they live to bank weekends that they know they will be away during the fall. Needs to be a reason to turn Columbia into a weekend destination in the offseason to draw a huge crowd.
Gamecock Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:21 AM   #19
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

I wanna try and make it this year. Want to see Nosovitch and what he brings even though it's just the Garnet and Black game.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #20
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktguen View Post
Clifford is gone
Oh crap...that's right...i forgot he was redshirted

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote