CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
smoovecock
b381l
kick_ball
Lalli25
thekob
etowngangsta
The Yancey
l^l^lBGCock
Lonnie
GOOD NEWS ABOUT SPUR (3325)
Rebutting Dabo's Ran (2573)
Good Omen for Saturd (1883)
Starting Lineup Anno (1812)
Cant believe no one (1673)
Suspicious sign-in a (734)
We Have to Pass (720)
Poster on another si (653)
Spurrier weekly pres (591)
SOS needs to put thi (503)
Defense and offense ranki
2015 Commitment - Marquav
Odell Becham Catch
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
Cant believe no one has s
Why has there been 40 yea
USC/clemson spread
This would be awesome....
Ninety Six 21 Abbeville
GOOD NEWS ABOUT SPURRIER

Old 01-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
CockyHoskins
Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School

Male

Homecoming King/Queen: Award given to the poster we most want to meet at the next game - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to meet at the next game Best Non-Football Thread: Award given for starting the best non-football thread - Given for: starting the best non-football thread of 2005 (introductions are in order) 
CockyCash: 100500
CockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot material
Send a message via Skype™ to CockyHoskins
Default Syvelle Newton to join staff?

I'm assuming he means as a GA, but Newton just tweeted that he has met with SOS and is ready to join our staff come spring. Anybody got more details beyond his tweet?
CockyHoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
davisd9
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 375
davisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudly
Default Re: Syvelle Newton to join staff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockyhoskins View Post
I'm assuming he means as a GA, but Newton just tweeted that he has met with SOS and is ready to join our staff come spring. Anybody got more details beyond his tweet?

Great player and glad he was a Gamecock, but hide the laptops.
davisd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
WE_ARE
Mr. BIG COCK

Male

CockyCash: 200
WE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudly

That's awesome news.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

He was a great player, but I'm not sure I like this move.

Wasn't he one of those in the laptop issue? Wasn't he the one that was on Beale St after the Liberty Bowl screaming about how Spurrier ruined his career for moving him to DB? No offense, but he's one of those guys that I throw in the "Old Carolina" pile. We've turned a corner to get those type of players out of our program. I don't like bringing them (even if just one) back to be a coach.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
CockyHoskins

Male

Homecoming King/Queen: Award given to the poster we most want to meet at the next game - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to meet at the next game Best Non-Football Thread: Award given for starting the best non-football thread - Given for: starting the best non-football thread of 2005 (introductions are in order) 
CockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot material

Cack, I couldn't have said it better myself! However, I guess I will defer to SOS on the matter.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
12+4=6
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 850
12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit12+4=6 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to 12+4=6

I'm sure Spurrier has considered all of the above, and if he still feels that this is a good move I don't think we should worry about it.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
CockyHoskins

Male

Agreed!
Old 01-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Will he coach WR's...please....

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #9
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Eh, I don't know him personally, but I do know he got moved around so much in his career that he never got the opportunity he should have in the NFL. If he had started at WR he would have gone on to become one of the best to ever have played here (IMO). However, our QB situation was so messed up he had to keep coming back to it.

In terms of the laptop issue, I don't think he stole one of the laptops. What he did do was take a life-sized cutout of himself that he claimed was told he could take, so if that's the case no big deal.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Mick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
He was a great player, but I'm not sure I like this move.

Wasn't he one of those in the laptop issue? Wasn't he the one that was on Beale St after the Liberty Bowl screaming about how Spurrier ruined his career for moving him to DB? No offense, but he's one of those guys that I throw in the "Old Carolina" pile. We've turned a corner to get those type of players out of our program. I don't like bringing them (even if just one) back to be a coach.
Those type of players? Yea..those type of players that would do anything they possibly could to help the team win...I can't stand those type of players
Mick Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #11
2four2Gamecock
Stop slow blinking at me

Male

CockyCash: 7700
2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly

Six University of South Carolina football players are charged in connection with the theft of computer and video equipment and framed photographs from Williams-Brice Stadium two months ago.
Five of the players have been released on their own recognizance after a Thursday night bond hearing.
The sixth player, tight end Brian Brownlee, was arrested Friday. A judge granted Brownlee a personal recognizance bond and permission to travel to Atlanta to train for the NFL. Brownlee graduated in December.
The arrest warrant states that Brownlee was videotaped on November 22nd taking two laptop editors, valued at $4000 each, and two computer projectors, valued at $850 and $1675, and that Brownlee confessed to taking them. The combined items being more than $10,500, which resulted in a charge of grand larceny over $5000.
The players charged:
2four2Gamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #12
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Chicken View Post
Those type of players? Yea..those type of players that would do anything they possibly could to help the team win...I can't stand those type of players

There's a difference between players that do what they're told and those that do everything they can to help the team.

Syvelle played where he was told to play, but he did NOT do everything he could to help the team win. He did NOT want to play DB and made it a point to prove that on the field. I couldn't tell you how many times he ran straight at a player and the guy made one step to the left or right and went to the house. It happened, I believe, twice against Clemson that year.

Yes, he moved to whatever position the coaching staffed asked him to move to, but he did NOT do everything he could to make this team better.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #13
MBGCock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1110145
MBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot material

As a student assistant.
MBGCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #14
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

Mick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot material

Quote:
There's a difference between players that do what they're told and those that do everything they can to help the team.

Syvelle played where he was told to play, but he did NOT do everything he could to help the team win. He did NOT want to play DB and made it a point to prove that on the field. I couldn't tell you how many times he ran straight at a player and the guy made one step to the left or right and went to the house. It happened, I believe, twice against Clemson that year.

Yes, he moved to whatever position the coaching staffed asked him to move to, but he did NOT do everything he could to make this team better.
lol...he missed 2 tackles at clemson...playing a position he had not played in years...and he wasn't trying..gotcha
Old 01-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #15
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Chicken View Post
lol...he missed 2 tackles at clemson...playing a position he had not played in years...and he wasn't trying..gotcha

If he's one of your favorite players then keep your garnet goggles on ... that's fine. Still doesn't change that he was all about him and not the team (again, by what HE said in Memphis)

And I used one game ... that was NOT the only time he missed any tackles ... I believe he was accountable for at least one of the huge TD plays Houston hit on us just before the half in the Liberty Bowl too ... but then again ... I guess missread after missread after bad angle after diving for a shoe strings means he gave it his all.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #16
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Spurrier has always been complimentary of Newton. For awhile he was saying that no one ran the offense better than he did. I don't buy any of this dissension stuff unless someone can produce some evidence. Everything I've seen says he did his best to help the team and the staff appreciated his efforts.
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #17
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

I thought he was a star in the AFL now-a-days pulling down the big bucks (like 30k?)
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #18
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Spurrier has always been complimentary of Newton. For awhile he was saying that no one ran the offense better than he did. I don't buy any of this dissension stuff unless someone can produce some evidence. Everything I've seen says he did his best to help the team and the staff appreciated his efforts.
This would seem the more sensible position to take on the matter. I don't have any idea about what Syvelle Newton may or may not have been yelling on Beale St after the Liberty Bowl.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #19
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

Quote:
If he's one of your favorite players then keep your garnet goggles on ... that's fine. Still doesn't change that he was all about him and not the team (again, by what HE said in Memphis)

And I used one game ... that was NOT the only time he missed any tackles ... I believe he was accountable for at least one of the huge TD plays Houston hit on us just before the half in the Liberty Bowl too ... but then again ... I guess missread after missread after bad angle after diving for a shoe strings means he gave it his all.

Who said anything about being one of my favorite players? What I saw from Syvelle Newton was a player that played wherever the coaches asked him to play...and they asked him to play several different positions..and at times seemed to be one of the only players out there who was actually trying. The problem with your issue with him is he was not a defensive back in college, but he was trying to play one to help the team. His technique was poor but his athletic ability made up for that some. But he was better than other options we had at the time. But...yea i'm sure he was trying to tank so USC would lose...
Old 01-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #20
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

He was the one who had the big sack on a blitz against Clemson that led to the missed fg by dean in that same game.