CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
StormOfTalons
GarnetBlack&Blue
Acockolypse Now
NinjaSven
WeStill0wnUSC
2000grad
JerseyBird
Regalcock
Spurrier_Superior_On
gromweat
Nick Chubb (6385)
Spurrier Presser (1934)
All of our defensive (1790)
Spurrier: Davis Will (1614)
Uniform thread (1534)
Cack's Toast of the (1528)
Rankings (1438)
3-4 "D" Ke (1193)
Will Devin ever suit (976)
Update: Brison Willi (507)
Update: Brison Williams i
2016 - Rozelle Nix
Best Store bought Spaghet
Men's soccer vs. Clemson
2015 Commitment - Shameik
No Fun League Strikes Aga
Not a talent issue
Over reacting?
Kenny Hill arrested
Gamecock football Long Te

Old 01-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

CockyCash: 977700
Next Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot material
Default Question about Attrition

Why do the majority of players and coaches leave the University of South Carolina at the first available opportunity?

It seems that people will jump ship for at least a lateral position or a shot at UDFA.

Is this the same at other major football programs?

What do you think?

I am not saying the sky is falling or that we have not retained ANYONE when it comes to our program but when I hear about these moves and transfers I wonder if this is normal and if this is in any way a statement about our program.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1706674488
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material
Default Re: Question about Attrition

I can understand many of them leaving, lots of times there are "other factors" involved in the decision...this one has me puzzled, unless we didn't attempt to keep him for whatever reason

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
TheMule
Br Ba

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
TheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to TheMule

Sometimes I wonder if we're not paying our coaches with Confederate money.

gt
Here's to you, Feisty and Spurd&Fthrd.
TheMule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Lawing was here for 16 years....

Back up from the ledge.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

Next Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
Lawing was here for 16 years....

Back up from the ledge.

Whatever man.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Year View Post
Why do the majority of players and coaches leave the University of South Carolina at the first available opportunity?

It seems that people will jump ship for at least a lateral position or a shot at UDFA.
75 undergraduate players declared for the draft this year. 2 of those went to SC and one we COMPLETELY understand because he had two major knee injuries. Have you seen UGA, LSU, or Floridas early declarations????

And yet you think we have a problem with players going to the draft early. Do me a favor, look up the players that are leaving early from LSU and tell me that you wouldn't be saying the exact same thing if you were a fan of LSU?
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
75 undergraduate players declared for the draft this year. 2 of those went to SC and one we COMPLETELY understand because he had two major knee injuries. Have you seen UGA, LSU, or Floridas early declarations????

And yet you think we have a problem with players going to the draft early. Do me a favor, look up the players that are leaving early from LSU and tell me that you wouldn't be saying the exact same thing if you were a fan of LSU?

You and Nureye are taking a very narrow view of the questions. I am talking years and draft positions. Unlike those other teams you mentioned , over the last say 5 years, how many draft eligible players have decided to go pro rather than stay for their junior and senior seasons?
Old 01-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 925
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

The University has done a great job of bringing in quality coaches.
I have no doubt that USC will find just as good of a replacement if not better.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #9
AikenRooster2112
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
AikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his comb

Dude, you can't blame a player for leaving early, if he can make some money, even for a few years, in the NFL. It is better, even at NFL minimum wage, than a starting salary at a regular job, even with a degree. He can come back later and get the degree. He wouldn't even.be in school, if it weren't for the scholarship. Besides, the University is raking in millions, and all he is getting is a lousy scholarship. Plus, if you got players leaving early, you got good players. LSU, Florida, Georgia, Alabama. etc. We need more players leaving early, especially linemen, because then, we will probably have won some SEC championships.

The players only come to college as a stepping stone to the NFL.
AikenRooster2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #10
AikenRooster2112
4-Star

Male

AikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his comb

As far as coaches go, I guess they want to be winners, too, so they go to winning programs.
AikenRooster2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:34 PM   #11
mater
Class of '02

Male

CockyCash: 100380
mater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot material

Yet no one is screaming they are upset knowing that Clowney is done after this year...

"When a suitcase just won't do."
mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:49 PM   #12
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 320
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Any given play can be a players last play...you cannot blame them for leaving early. Be thankful that we have players that can be drafted after their third year.

How many of Brad Scott's players ever left early???

Concerning coaches...Lawing has been here since the BS days...his leaving really has nothing to do with football and everything to do with off the field issues that he believes a change in venue will help him with.

The first case is part of the price of success...the second is just a case where moving on may be a little better for the person. The sky really isn't falling.
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #13
GTjacketcock
Hell of an Engineer

Male

GTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPit

I don't know about coaches, because I'm sure there are lots of factors that play a part in their decisions.

As far as players, I think it's a coach thing. Spurrier encourages all of his junior players to put in their papers to get an NFL Draft evaluation whereas Dabo professes his love to players and tells them what they want to hear to make them stay. It seems that Spurrier has the players' best interests in mind while Dabo tries to convince them to stay and help make himself look good.

My sign from Gameday at the Horseshoe
GTjacketcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #14
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Guess they don't want to wait till next year.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #15
eatlighting
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

eatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot material

We will continue to have these head scratching moments until:

A) We finally win some big ones. 11-2 seasons don't hurt, but in the grand scheme of things, we need some serious hardware to make believers.

B) We get a head coach who blows A LOT of smoke up the respective butts of players and coaches alike. You will never hear HBC talking about our program "standing in the doorway to greatness" unless he's talking about another program's success. He doesn't do things that way, and he's not going to start. I'm not saying I want him to do that, but when you're a player looking to go to the next level or a coach looking to win a big one, it takes a lot of faith to keep coming back for what may be another non-championship season. Even though some of those same smoke-blowers aren't doing anything special either, they just sell the idea. Spurrier will never do that.

C) We end up with both somehow.

Even then, though, a lot of the great programs out there still have this happen. People are constantly head hunting the elite schools. You don't hear about it or see major negative effects though because those elite schools can just reload at will with players and coaches.

We won't be that way until we accomplish letter A above a couple of times.
eatlighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #16
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by mater View Post
Yet no one is screaming they are upset knowing that Clowney is done after this year...
good point, clowney is treated by some around here with kid gloves..the no practice until games next year was and is a ridiulous view point.

but, ace leaves and the world is coming to a halt. i am not going out on a limb by saying losing clowneys impact on the game is double that of aces impact. weird.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #17
ssladler
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 934
ssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his comb

Dude.. you have no idea how many of our coaches have not "left at the first opportunity". You really only hear about accepted opportunities, not all the opportunities that were turned down. Whammy said it today: Lawing's pretty much had an open invite to move to Bama, and he has repeatedly turned it down.
ssladler is online now   Reply With Quote