CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
sanford
Regalcock
MWard
ReadR00ster
GarnetSwarm1990
Cockypantherfan
WeStillOwnUSC
PvtWarlick
Cocked & Locked
Cockholio
Sidney Rice Retiring (730)
watching the Alabama (627)
Da'Quan Bowers had a (512)
A good friend of min (421)
Dan Patrick Show - P (374)
ESPN Insider (325)
Phil Steele's Colleg (254)
Pictures of older Co (236)
A Clowney Spotting? (140)
Places to eat in Con (136)
Gamecock Showcase Attende
Georgia Defensive returni
Texags
watching the Alabama vs T
Holy Hell, Indeed, SEC Ne
Places to eat in Conway?
2015 - Johnny Frasier
2015 - Christian Pellage
Ace suspended 4 games
Top 10 Reasons Why Texas

Old 01-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
uscgmck
Coming back home, one day

Male

CockyCash: 100500
uscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot material
Default Report: Conference alliance brewing?

Looks like the Big 12 has something up its sleeve.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoot...-others-012513
uscgmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
jared
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 14402
jared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his comb
Default Re: Report: Conference alliance brewing?

Why would they do this? It just doesn't make much sense.
jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

I think they may trying to protect themselves against other conferences that may expand and create better financial deals for themselves. It's almost downside insurance protection. If the Big 12 now thinks the SEC and Big 10 will cherry pick the ACC, then they aren't going to be able to compete with those conferences financially without trying to create these types of alliances. Although, I could be totally wrong. I would like to see the 3 conferences they are talking to. I think they are the PAC 12 and Big East in addition to the ACC.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
gotrice?
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 5600
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
I think they may trying to protect themselves against other conferences that may expand and create better financial deals for themselves. It's almost downside insurance protection. If the Big 12 now thinks the SEC and Big 10 will cherry pick the ACC, then they aren't going to be able to compete with those conferences financially without trying to create these types of alliances. Although, I could be totally wrong. I would like to see the 3 conferences they are talking to. I think they are the PAC 12 and Big East in addition to the ACC.
Disagree. Most think the Big 12 will eventually cherry pick both FSU and Clemson so they will be getting some of the spoils of the ACC folding.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

Wow this is sad, the other conferences suck so bad they are trying to rally together against the SEC? Ha
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #6
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

Really good thinking in that they can add AQ conference schools to their schedule's, and if it's ACC teams, mostly cream puffs.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
SpecOps Cock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
SpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot material

Pathetic!!!
SpecOps Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Not at all. This could be shot across the bow where 4 to 5 conferences break away from the NCAA and begin to do their own thing.

It's not that far-fetched.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:02 AM   #9
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

CockyCash: 401
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Maybe they're going to do some combination of bowl alliance, and 'challenge' where each team plays a member of the other conference.
GoldenSpur7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:20 AM   #10
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
Disagree. Most think the Big 12 will eventually cherry pick both FSU and Clemson so they will be getting some of the spoils of the ACC folding.
I'm not saying they won't do that, but I think this is some financial protection. If you think Clemson carries any financial clout, sorry to disappoint you......Fla St does however.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:22 AM   #11
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodacitynate View Post
Maybe they're going to do some combination of bowl alliance, and 'challenge' where each team plays a member of the other conference.
I think this is very likely especially after the SEC and Big 12 just signed to play in a bowl starting in 2014.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:58 AM   #12
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

I feel like 3 conferences will benefit from the financials and TV draw of one conference in this scenario. That one conference will only be diluting it's own financials to benefit the other three. I also don't really see where negotiating for 50 teams is going to somehow help their TV contracts. Part of the point of conference expansion is to bring new markets into your negotiations. At some point there will be a lot of overlap in the TV markets. Plus, buying in bulk tends to mean you pay less per individual item, so I feel like this would benefit ESPN more than anyone else.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:24 AM   #13
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Other than a few ACC teams, there are very few real financial winners from which to pick because the larger markets are already taken. This is why there is somewhat of a rush between the SEC and Big 10 to each get 2 of the top ACC schools. The SEC and Big 10 are the 2 conferences that have much larger payouts per school which is why the top ACC schools will be lured to either of those 2 top conferences.

Having said that, I just don't see this "alliance" really making that much difference.