CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
U-Dub Gamecock
ConwayGamecock
thumpin big
Gamecocks1137
FanofCarolina1
JerseyBird
carolinacocky
CockyInTexas
kingoftheroost
TheUniversityofSC
2014 Charleston Clas (4553)
Should UNC get death (1059)
Mullen Pulls QB's Sc (865)
Could Pharoh Run the (786)
BJ Mckie (653)
Huge recruiting week (562)
ESPN's Mike Golic ke (507)
Getting Back on Trac (506)
Big George Statue (482)
Challenge to or revi (326)
2014 Charleston Classic *
Scholarship Lounge Buffet
Womens Soccer NCAA Tourna
Frank Martin
Belk Bowl?
Could Pharoh Run the O Li
2015 - Joe Blue
Predict nonconference win
Mullen Pulls QB's Scholar
TV??

Old 01-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 1453877758
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material
Default English switch hitting

Just got done listening to Coach Holbrooks presser, and one thing that stood out to me, was that Chad really seems bothered by the number of SO's we had on offense last year, particularly Tanner English! Apparently one of Holbrooks fixes for this is to turn Tanner into a switch hitter.

The one thing that jumps out at me, is how will the opposition stop Tanner from bunting from the left side of the plate! With his speed, that will be a hard out!

Having said that, this seems a tall task, wonder if Tanner has ever tried this???
Old 01-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material
Default Re: English switch hitting

what stood out to me was a life lesson comment. he said that he tells the team to not let the failures of the past hinder you from accomplishments in the future.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 960
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Not too often you see people learning how to switch hit at this stage. Hopefully it makes him better
Old 01-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

All I know is with Tanner English's speed he can score from first one a single.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
Dam Racals
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 400
Dam Racals is sharpening his clawsDam Racals is sharpening his clawsDam Racals is sharpening his clawsDam Racals is sharpening his clawsDam Racals is sharpening his claws

I think he will struggle at first,give him a few games and he should be ok.
Dam Racals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
scfastpitch
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
scfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPit

I'm excited about it . One of the greatest base stealers of all time took up switch-hitting when he was 25 years old . Maury Wills had floundered around in the minor leagues for 8 years when his manager at AAA Spokane, Bobby Bragan, suggested to Maury that he try switch-hitting .
scfastpitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1039000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

It's not like Tanner is gonna be jackin it out of the park anyway, might as well try some small ball with a twist. By the way, anybody else stunned that LB is taking over at first ? I mean the dude was a vacuum cleaner at 3rd, could we not field another 1st baseman without hurting our lineup ?
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:57 PM   #8
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulwoodwarlord View Post
It's not like Tanner is gonna be jackin it out of the park anyway, might as well try some small ball with a twist. By the way, anybody else stunned that LB is taking over at first ? I mean the dude was a vacuum cleaner at 3rd, could we not field another 1st baseman without hurting our lineup ?
how is he hurting our lineup? do you not think that holbrook has someone else he feels can do the job?

i am not remotely close to questioning moves liike that. i am different and assume we will have a stud at third.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:04 PM   #9
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 1453877758
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulwoodwarlord View Post
By the way, anybody else stunned that LB is taking over at first ? I mean the dude was a vacuum cleaner at 3rd, could we not field another 1st baseman without hurting our lineup ?
Good point....... was always thinking that Kyle Martin was being groomed to take Walkers place...... but CH is trying to get the best 9 on the field I guess......

So who are the candidates for playing 3rd?
Old 01-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #10
walk.daddy
sings for money

Male

CockyCash: 533
walk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot material

I might get bashed for saying this but I don't think it would be that bad of an idea to try Griener at 3rd and let Dante Rosenberg catch. Dante stepped up big in the CWS and I could see this working.

Grayson is obviously a very good catcher and have no problem with him playing that position but you have to think with his size that his knees could suffer throughout the duration of a full season. At least at 3rd he would be able to show off that arm of his rather than trying him at 1st.
walk.daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:20 PM   #11
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucan'tlickourcocks View Post
Good point....... was always thinking that Kyle Martin was being groomed to take Walkers place...... but CH is trying to get the best 9 on the field I guess......

So who are the candidates for playing 3rd?
Chase Vergason?

This is my theory on English switch hitting. He couldn't hit anything that broke away from him last year. Was made to look bad on sliders that weren't close. So switch hitting, the ball will break towards you. That's what I heard a pro switch hitter say one time. They always go opposite from the pitcher because they hate the ball breaking away from them. Just my $.02

^^^ Dante never caught in Omaha. Was very good behind the plate in the regional and super regional but gave us nothing with the bat. Offense will be struggling enough this year without a sub .200 hitter.
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #12
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

The reason LB is going to first is because Schrock is taking Vergason's place at 2nd so they have to shift Vergason somewhere else and 3rd is a better fit for Vergason than 1st.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #13
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

I think they are doing this because he could possibly average 2.5 bunts a game and have a .300 Bunting average for the season
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #14
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
The reason LB is going to first is because Schrock is taking Vergason's place at 2nd so they have to shift Vergason somewhere else and 3rd is a better fit for Vergason than 1st.
I kind of thought they would go with Kyle Martin at 1st, then Schrock at 2nd and keep LB at 3rd.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the line up play around with both of those options we listed and see what works best.
ktguen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #15
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1039000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Well, one thing is for certain. It won't take long to see how Chase handles it. I see the logic in it, but last year was full of rockets down the third base line that LB blew me away with in handling. I hope his fielding prowess shows out at 1st and Chase picks up where he left off !
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:50 PM   #16
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktguen View Post
I kind of thought they would go with Kyle Martin at 1st, then Schrock at 2nd and keep LB at 3rd.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the line up play around with both of those options we listed and see what works best.
Apparently Martin had his chance in Fall and just didn't get it done. Apparently not hitting.
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #17
scfastpitch
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
scfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPit

Vergason was one of our best players the last month of the season last year and they would like to keep him in the lineup . Chase also played third base his first year in junior college so he has experience at that spot .
scfastpitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #18
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktguen View Post

Yeah I've always like Martin and wish he got more chances last year. Martin was hot at the plate for the first half of the year while Vergason was hot during playoff time.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #19
Qatarcock
Redneck Abroad

Male

CockyCash: 1000500
Qatarcock is USC mascot materialQatarcock is USC mascot materialQatarcock is USC mascot materialQatarcock is USC mascot materialQatarcock is USC mascot materialQatarcock is USC mascot materialQatarcock is USC mascot materialQatarcock is USC mascot materialQatarcock is USC mascot materialQatarcock is USC mascot materialQatarcock is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Qatarcock

English has adjusted nicely but may still have bad abs. Chad said he has hit a few out from that side of the plate...which pissed him off because he wants him to hit it on the ground!
Old 01-27-2013, 11:10 PM   #20
walk.daddy
sings for money

Male

CockyCash: 533
walk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglegolf018 View Post
Chase Vergason?

^^^ Dante never caught in Omaha. Was very good behind the plate in the regional and super regional but gave us nothing with the bat. Offense will be struggling enough this year without a sub .200 hitter.
I'm pretty sure he caught the first game against Arkansas. Maybe I'm thinking more about the Regionals and Supers but I'm almost positive he saw some action in Oma...... Nebraska.
walk.daddy is offline   Reply With Quote