CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
smoovecock
Regalcock
JerseyBird
b381l
johnnyb
markymark550
CoverTwo
**USC vs. UNC-Ashevi (2369)
Constant Updates on (2306)
Brad Lawing (1783)
Alshon - Bose (1199)
Garcia vs Clemson To (1112)
Ced Cooper (#18) sta (1091)
How cool would it be (985)
Carolina/Clemson gam (796)
Palmetto Bowl (703)
Chattanooga upends N (574)
Coaching Carousel 2014/15
**USC vs. UNC-Asheville G
Constant Updates on Watso
Carolina/Clemson game dre
How cool would it be to..
Chattanooga upends No. 4
Bowl projections
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
Palmetto Bowl
Andrew Clifford Scooter A

Old 01-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
jared
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 14402
jared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his comb
Default SEC Tournament

Does every team get into the tournament? I can't remember how it works for basketball. And if it was every team in, is it still that way with Mizzou and A&M now in the SEC? Help on this?
jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
Cocklover
Take Chances

Female

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Non Football Poster 
CockyCash: 1103858
Cocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocklover
Default Re: SEC Tournament

Yes, they all get in the Tourney and yes Mizzou and A&M would be there because they are part of the SEC...
Old 01-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
scfastpitch
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
scfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPit

Here you go . Almost impossible for the bottom seeds to win . They would have to win 5 days in a row .

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/SEC...pionships.aspx
scfastpitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2462144
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Not to mention, the winner of the Tourney locks a spot in the big dance no matter the record.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
Cocklover
Take Chances

Female

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Non Football Poster 
Cocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot material

Georgia won it one year when they were toward the bottom of the league
Old 01-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
jared
Starter

Male

jared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocklover View Post
Yes, they all get in the Tourney and yes Mizzou and A&M would be there because they are part of the SEC...
No I wasn't asking if they would get into the tournament. I meant that if everyone got in before this year, would they change it to only be like top 8 or 10 since there are 14 schools now. Because baseball does top 8 I believe.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
FLCock89
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 2800
FLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfastpitch View Post
Here you go . Almost impossible for the bottom seeds to win . They would have to win 5 days in a row .
Yeah, we really need to avoid the bottom 4 seeds. Right now we are in a 7-way tie for 7th at 2-4, so it's going to be interesting to see how the bottom half of the seeding shakes out.
FLCock89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
jared
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofCarolina1 View Post
Not to mention, the winner of the Tourney locks a spot in the big dance no matter the record.
Yes but that would be very hard to do, especially if we are one of the lowest seeds. 5 wins in 5 days is nearly impossible. I think Georgia only had to win 4 that year that year they ran the table.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #9
Cocklover
Take Chances

Female

I guess I assumed everyone would get in even though it's up to 14 now.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:09 AM   #10
RoyalAir
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 400
RoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudly

UGA did it that year that the tornado interrupted the tournament, so they had to move the games from downtown (either the Dome or Philips, I don't remember which), and over to Georgia Tech. Because of the delay and the move, a lot of the opposing teams' fans didn't watch the tourney (and UGA basketball doesn't have fans), so it was kinda like an exhibition. I remember watching some of those games, and Alexander Memorial Coliseum was like a local YMCA or something. Georgia took advantage of it, but those were extremely special circumstances that year.
RoyalAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #11
Cocklover
Take Chances

Female

According to this from the SEC website, all 14 will be in the tourney.

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/SEC...pionships.aspx
Old 01-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

A fifth or sixth seed could be achievable if we keep improving during the season.

I think Kent, Florida, Ole Miss and Mizzou will be the top four seeds.
Travelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2462144
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared View Post
Yes but that would be very hard to do, especially if we are one of the lowest seeds. 5 wins in 5 days is nearly impossible. I think Georgia only had to win 4 that year that year they ran the table.
Yes, I think Miss. St. did it one year also.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:34 AM   #14
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Uconn did it in the Big East then went on to win the NCAA tourney that year.
I know it's completely different but that's pretty cool when you think about it.
11 consecutive "elimination" games

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #15
RoyalAir
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 400
RoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudly

Didn't we almost do the same thing in '05-'06 when we met UF in the SEC tourney and barely lost? I think that was the elimination game, wasn't it? I remember we had beaten that *loaded* UF team twice in the regular season, and then came up just short in the SEC tourney. But I'm almost positive that was the championship game.
RoyalAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #16
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalAir View Post
Didn't we almost do the same thing in '05-'06 when we met UF in the SEC tourney and barely lost? I think that was the elimination game, wasn't it? I remember we had beaten that *loaded* UF team twice in the regular season, and then came up just short in the SEC tourney. But I'm almost positive that was the championship game.
Yep, 49-47 UF. Championship Game.

We were also runner-ups to KY in 1998, but got throttled 86-56.
Travelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #17
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalAir View Post
UGA did it that year that the tornado interrupted the tournament, so they had to move the games from downtown (either the Dome or Philips, I don't remember which), and over to Georgia Tech. Because of the delay and the move, a lot of the opposing teams' fans didn't watch the tourney (and UGA basketball doesn't have fans), so it was kinda like an exhibition. I remember watching some of those games, and Alexander Memorial Coliseum was like a local YMCA or something. Georgia took advantage of it, but those were extremely special circumstances that year.
What jawja did that year was very difficult, they moved the jawja/ky game from Friday night to Sat morning making the winner have to play 3 games in 30 hours to win the tourney. That game went into overtime and they had played in an overtime game in the 1st rd to get there.
The GAMECOCKS tried to send Coach Odom out a winner that year but lost to a last second shot from Tenn after knocking off LSU, this is the last time we won a tourney game and 1 0f 11 wins this decade.
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote