CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
StormOfTalons
Master Bedroom
Acockolypse Now
Rooster'srule
sanford
Order 66
Spur's Addiction
El Cid Ranger
b381l
Backup QB competitio (2964)
2014 Preseason USA T (1422)
Anyone heard anythin (1382)
Ranking the SEC Fema (903)
Future Non-Conferenc (813)
Spurrier on the cove (528)
Kewl video (386)
Ranking the SEC scho (378)
Tupelo Honey Cafe (364)
Musburger/Palmer to (348)
Anyone heard anything abo
Future Non-Conference Sch
Re-Airing South Carolina
An Aggies View of the Mat
Backup QB competition
E$PN College Football Bro
Tupelo Honey Cafe
Musburger/Palmer to comme
Malcolm Mitchell (knee)
2014 Signee - Joe Blue

Old 01-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
me4USC
Blue Chip

Female

CockyCash: 500
me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material
Default Building a safer football helmet

http://newsroom.blogs.cnn.com/2013/0...otball-helmet/

Former Harvard quarterback who is now a doctor talks about a football helmet he designed that could lessen head injuries. Looks strange to me, but if fewer guys get their brains scrambled, that's a good thing. Right?

The NFL and some of the players are putting 100 million into a 10 year study about this.

me4USC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material
Default Re: Building a safer football helmet

If the NFL doesn't solve the concussion issue it will decline IMO. This needs to be addressed.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
me4USC
Blue Chip

Female

me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

I wish I could have shown the helmet, but it's a CNN video, not Youtube, and I couldn't get it to post. It looks good to me, but I'm not as particular as some of the guys.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

I don't know why the NCAA shouldn't be involved in this either. This is not an NFL problem.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
ra742002
Game MVP

Male

ra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPit

i have seen these at coaching clinics, I really like them, and the technology isn't too far fetched. They are REALLY expensive for high school athletic depts to invest in something like this, which could be the issue.

ra742002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:37 PM   #6
me4USC
Blue Chip

Female

Surely college programs like ours could check them out, though. Would Under Armour have to get involved? I don't know whether or not the helmets are designed by Under Armour like the uniforms are.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:55 PM   #7
uscsabres
4-Star

Male

uscsabres is developing his combuscsabres is developing his combuscsabres is developing his combuscsabres is developing his combuscsabres is developing his combuscsabres is developing his combuscsabres is developing his combuscsabres is developing his combuscsabres is developing his combuscsabres is developing his comb

Man, that lady in the video needs some work. Couldn't stop talking with her hands and didn't know how to pronounce Lindros. I actually flinched when I heard it.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:59 PM   #8
ElectricCock
Fear The Thumb, Clemson

Male

CockyCash: 200516
ElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot material

under armour has nothing to do with our helmets, we use a quite a few different brands
Old 01-30-2013, 12:09 AM   #9
me4USC
Blue Chip

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricCock View Post
under armour has nothing to do with our helmets, we use a quite a few different brands
That's good to know. Thanks.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:41 AM   #10
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

I couldn't see the video but the picture looked like the xenith helmet with the shock absorbers. If that is what they mean, this has been out for a while and has done ok but is t any better than a lot of other helmets.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:51 AM   #11
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Whatever you have to do to get people to think it's safer. You think people would have realized decades ago that this game screws up your brain. I didn't really need scientific tests to tell me that. I thought it was pretty dang obvious.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:59 AM   #12
uscsaxplaya
WACCO FOR FLACCO!!!

Male

uscsaxplaya has developed his gaff and talonsuscsaxplaya has developed his gaff and talonsuscsaxplaya has developed his gaff and talonsuscsaxplaya has developed his gaff and talonsuscsaxplaya has developed his gaff and talonsuscsaxplaya has developed his gaff and talonsuscsaxplaya has developed his gaff and talonsuscsaxplaya has developed his gaff and talonsuscsaxplaya has developed his gaff and talonsuscsaxplaya has developed his gaff and talonsuscsaxplaya has developed his gaff and talons

I believe I read somewhere, Bill Simpson, who has been involved with NASCAR and other forms of motorsport developing safer racing equipment such as helmets, has or is looking to get into developing a safer football helmet.

Go Cocks!
uscsaxplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
me4USC
Blue Chip

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscsaxplaya View Post
I believe I read somewhere, Bill Simpson, who has been involved with NASCAR and other forms of motorsport developing safer racing equipment such as helmets, has or is looking to get into developing a safer football helmet.
Is that the Carolina Crown DCI in your picture?

Old 01-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #14
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
I don't know why the NCAA shouldn't be involved in this either. This is not an NFL problem.
Its a FOOTBALL problem that is not specific to any one level.

So, yes...it is an NCAA problem, an NFL problem, a high school problem, etc.
FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #15
PyroPepper
Star Maker

Male

PyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot material

PyroPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #16
me4USC
Blue Chip

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheBarber View Post
Its a FOOTBALL problem that is not specific to any one level.

So, yes...it is an NCAA problem, an NFL problem, a high school problem, etc.
I agree.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #17
USCremedy
This your bush?

Male

CockyCash: 2300
USCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
I couldn't see the video but the picture looked like the xenith helmet with the shock absorbers. If that is what they mean, this has been out for a while and has done ok but is t any better than a lot of other helmets.
yeah thats what it is. The creator was being interviewed and said they have sold about 175,000 of them since 2009.

USCremedy is offline   Reply With Quote