CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
b381l
Badazcock
Gamecockswag
Gamecocks1137
ReadR00ster
Regalcock
cocksmith1or11
conwaycock2
kingofnerf
Simple "yes&quo (874)
ESPN Game Day Commen (819)
The Comeback & T (690)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (507)
Phil Steele just pre (476)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (469)
Bashing Players, coa (465)
TeMarcus Blanton (429)
Garcia: Change the R (326)
Wallpaper & Back (203)
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
2015 Commitment - Lorenzo
2016 - Avery McCall
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Phil Steele just predicte
Garcia: Change the Rules
Rank the QBs under Spurri
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
ESPN Game Day Comments Re
Simple "yes" or

Old 02-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material
Default Carolina - doing the most with the least!

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/i...-top-prospects

Quote:
The school doing the most with the least has been South Carolina. The Gamecocks have signed 13 ESPN 150 prospects since 2009, which is seventh in the league. But the Gamecocks have the third-best record over the last four years (38-15) behind only Alabama and LSU. They’re also one of two teams in the league (along with Alabama) to have won 11 or more games each of the last two seasons.

As the Head Ball Coach himself would say, somebody’s coaching ‘em up in Columbia.

One other interesting nugget is South Carolina is the only team to have played in the SEC championship game over the past four years that hasn't signed at least 20 ESPN 150 prospects during that span.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material
Default Re: Carolina - doing the most with the least!

Are we doing more with less or are they just not doing too great with THEIR evaluations?

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
CrzyCock21
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
CrzyCock21 has earned his spursCrzyCock21 has earned his spursCrzyCock21 has earned his spursCrzyCock21 has earned his spursCrzyCock21 has earned his spursCrzyCock21 has earned his spurs

I don't think its less.. better coaching and players believing in the system. its not the amount of talent you have but what you do with what you have
CrzyCock21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9708333
SR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudly

I think ESPN just has slack rankings.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

It's always in style to mock ESPN and their rankings and find flaws with them since they have changed from bringing us sporting news to trying to make (up) sporting news, however. . . .

I think it's a testament to our coaching staff at USC that has been assembled under Spurrier. The S&C, and position coaches have worked together to fine tune the talent that we have to play in a system they can understand. Maybe I'm just a glass half full - but here's to our coaches!

Last edited by bryarx; 02-05-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 200
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

see our coaches do suck at recruiting, espn realizes it. I kid I kid. Gotta love beating UGA, Clem and UF while constantly finishing behind them in the recruiting rankings
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
unccgamecock
Recruit

Male

unccgamecock has developed his gaff and talonsunccgamecock has developed his gaff and talonsunccgamecock has developed his gaff and talonsunccgamecock has developed his gaff and talonsunccgamecock has developed his gaff and talonsunccgamecock has developed his gaff and talonsunccgamecock has developed his gaff and talonsunccgamecock has developed his gaff and talonsunccgamecock has developed his gaff and talonsunccgamecock has developed his gaff and talonsunccgamecock has developed his gaff and talons

that's what we doooo!!!! WIN ANYWAY

high character men playing for the man beside them. I believe last year was the best "team" we've ever had. They all loved each other and the fans, stayed out of trouble, and played hard all year. so proud
unccgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #8
cockybusiness2
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 461300
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by unccgamecock View Post
that's what we doooo!!!! WIN ANYWAY

high character men playing for the man beside them. I believe last year was the best "team" we've ever had. They all loved each other and the fans, stayed out of trouble, and played hard all year. so proud
But this years will be better
cockybusiness2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:06 AM   #9
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

That says tons about the South Carolina Coaching staff. You can bring in as much top rated talent as you want to, but you still have to coach them on how to play the game at a higher level.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:34 AM   #10
GamecockSuperFan
Run 75% of the time

Male

CockyCash: 400
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

When Spurrier says he's got maybe the best group of coaches he's ever had, I have to agree. There's a different mindset on the sideline than years past. From Coaches to players to managers to the waterboys. There's no team divide between offense and defense, guys seem to get along and really play for each other and not just themselves. It's a good time to be a gamecock.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #11
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

But, but, it's all about the stars!!!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #12
superfly
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 900
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material

The bottom line is every player coming in, is a high school player. They have to be molded into college players. That goes for a 5 star on down. That is the problem with daybo and company is they remain 3, 4,or 5 star high school players playing the college game. No player development and now the recruits are seeing it.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #13
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

The players we've been getting are underrated. Our development has been good, but we still have problems with developing certain positions.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #14
usctiburon03
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 24000
usctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudly

For the life of me, I still don't understand this argument. Yes, nobody doubts that our coaches do a great job with the players. But what if they were able to close on some of these higher rated prospects? They could coach them up too, meaning they have the chance to be better. It's not like the staff is passing on these players, they just don't land them. Look at our two best players from the past few years....both were 5 star talent. If we could land a top ranked class with our coaches, I think we would be unstoppable.
usctiburon03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #15
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usctiburon03 View Post
For the life of me, I still don't understand this argument. Yes, nobody doubts that our coaches do a great job with the players. But what if they were able to close on some of these higher rated prospects? They could coach them up too, meaning they have the chance to be better. It's not like the staff is passing on these players, they just don't land them. Look at our two best players from the past few years....both were 5 star talent. If we could land a top ranked class with our coaches, I think we would be unstoppable.
You are making it seem like there is that much difference between these high profile guys that we miss on and the ones we actually do get. I just don't believe that be the case most of the time. We take some chances on some guys some times, but if we offer them, they are likely really really good players, regardless their stars or offer list. I just disagree that the key to success is just recruiting the best players and getting the best coach to them. I think it's more like recruiting the RIGHT players and getting the best coach to coach them.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #16
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by usctiburon03 View Post

Yea - I think that's the best take-away from the article.

I think the bottom line is - we get the best talent we can, and we make them better. Yes, if we got better talent, the ceiling would be higher, and odds are we would be even better.

I think this article would be great for recruits to read - Carolina improves your existing talent better than at least the teams we've been beating lately. I would think we could use it as a selling point.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:57 AM   #17
gocockswyn
Starter

Female

gocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudly

That is very accurate analogy. I feel they have some great coaches and the leaders on the team must show/demand a high work ethic to acheive their record as of late. Good work team and coaches.
gocockswyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:08 AM   #18
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

LOL, it's still pretty impressive, but USC is actually 4th in wins the past 4 seasons, behind Bama, LSU, and Florida. Low even points it out, but I guess he was rushing to meet a posting deadline....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote