CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Captain9Dragons
ccured
RGHoskins
GoldenSpur7
robgusc76
NJGCfan
sporkgod50
Spurrier_Superior_On
Luke Skycocker
JAYBEZ
Mangus now coaching (1539)
Can Tennessee get to (1087)
2 Crazy things (661)
ESPN Article on HBC (656)
Chick Redefines the (636)
Spread vs. aTm (598)
Lindy's top 100 for (557)
Worse Hire Brad Scot (550)
The Bama series (456)
Connor Shaw: Atlanta (454)
Connor Shaw: Atlanta, Cle
ESPN Article on HBC on on
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
2015 - Kaleb Kim
Bama starting pitcher sus
The Bama series
Spread vs. aTm
Clowney's NFL Draft Promo
Can Tennessee get to a Bo
Lindy's top 100 for 2010

Old 02-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
KC85
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
KC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudly
Default The Black Telephone

Quote:
The Black Telephone

When I was a young boy, my father had one of the first telephones in our neighborhood.. I remember the polished, old case fastened to the wall. The shiny receiver hung on the side of the box. I was too little to reach the telephone, but used to listen with fascination when my mother talked to it.

Then I discovered that somewhere inside the wonderful device lived an amazing person. Her name was "Information Please" and there was nothing she did not know. Information Please could supply anyone's
number and the correct time.

My personal experience with the genie-in-a-bottle came one day while my mother was visiting a neighbor. Amusing myself at the tool bench in the basement, I whacked my finger with a ammer, the pain was terrible, but there seemed no point in crying cause there was no one home to give sympathy.

I walked around the house sucking my throbbing finger, finally arriving at the stairway. The telephone! Quickly, I ran for the footstool in the parlor and dragged it to the landing. Climbing up, I unhooked the receiver in the parlor and held it to my ear.

"Information, please" I said into the mouthpiece just above my head.

A click or two and a small clear voice spoke into my ear.

"Information."

"I hurt my finger..." I wailed into the phone, the tears came readily enough now that I had an audience.

"Isn't your mother home?" came the question.

"Nobody's home but me," I blubbered.

"Are you bleeding?" the voice asked.

No,"I replied. "I hit my finger with the hammer and it hurts."

"Can you open the icebox?" she asked.

I said I could.

"Then chip off a little bit of ice and hold it to your finger," said the voice..

After that, I called "Information Please" for everything.. I asked her for help with my geography, and she told me where Philadelphia was. She helped me with my math.

She told me my pet chipmunk that I had caught in the park just the day before, would eat fruit and nuts.

Then, there was the time Petey, our pet canary, died. I called,

Information

Please," and told her the sad story. She listened, and then said things grown-ups say to soothe a child. But I was not consoled. I asked her, "Why is it that birds should sing so beautifully and

bring joy to all families, only to end up as a heap of feathers on the bottom of a cage?"

She must have sensed my deep concern, for she said quietly, " Wayne , always remember that there are other worlds to sing in."

Somehow I felt better.

Another day I was on the telephone, "Information

Please."

Information," said in the now familiar voice. "How do I spell fix?"I asked.

All this took place in a small town in the Pacific Northwest . When I was nine years old, we moved across the country to Boston . I missed

my friend very much.

"Information Please" belonged in that old

wooden box back home and I Somehow never thought of trying the shiny new phone that sat on the table in the hall. As I grew into

my teens, the memories of those childhood conversations never really left me..

Often, in moments of doubt and perplexity I would recall the serene sense of

security I had then. I appreciated now how patient, understanding, and kind she was to have spent her time on a little boy.

A few years later, on my way west to college, my plane put down in Seattle . I had about a half-hour or so between planes. I spent 15

minutes or so on the phone with my sister, who lived there now. Then without thinking what I was doing, I dialed my hometown

operator and said, "Information Please."

Miraculously, I heard the small, clear voice I knew so well.

Information."

I hadn't planned this, but I heard myself saying,

"Could you please tell me how to spell fix?"

There was a long pause. Then came the soft spoken answer, "I guess your finger must have healed by now."

I laughed, "So it's really you," I said. "I wonder if you have any idea how much you meant to

me during that time?"

I wonder," she said, "if you know how much your call meant to me.

I never had any children and I used to look forward to your calls."

I told her how often I had thought of her over the years and I asked if I could call her again when I came back to visit my sister.

"Please do", she said. "Just ask for Sally."

Three months later I was back in Seattle . A different voice answered,

"Information."

I asked for Sally.

"Are you a friend?" she said.

"Yes, a very old friend," I answered.

"I'm sorry to have to tell you this,"She

said. "Sally had been working part time the last

few years because she was sick. She died

five weeks ago."

Before I could hang up, she said, "

Wait a minute, did you

say your name was Wayne ?" "

Yes." I answered.

Well, Sally left a message for you.

She wrote it down in case you called.

Let me read it to you."

The note said,

"Tell him there are other worlds to sing in.

He'll know what I mean."

I thanked her and hung up. I knew what Sally

meant.

Never underestimate the impression you may make on others..

Whose life have you touched today?

Why not pass this on? I just did....

Lifting you on eagle's wings.

May you

find the joy and peace you long for.

Life is a journey... NOT a guided tour.

I loved this story and just had to pass it on.

I hope you enjoyed it too.
KC85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
HardRockCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 9998250
HardRockCock is USC mascot materialHardRockCock is USC mascot materialHardRockCock is USC mascot materialHardRockCock is USC mascot materialHardRockCock is USC mascot materialHardRockCock is USC mascot materialHardRockCock is USC mascot materialHardRockCock is USC mascot materialHardRockCock is USC mascot materialHardRockCock is USC mascot materialHardRockCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: The Black Telephone

Thanks for sharing that
HardRockCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 397
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

That was great to read. Thank you for posting!
Old 02-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
COCKYWOOD
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

Great story ! Thanks for sharing .
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
KC85
Banned

Male

KC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudlyKC85 is crowing loudly

No problem.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #6
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

when I first started reading it I was waiting on the gag or punchline. I'm glad there wasn't one. Terrific story. Now I have a big lump in my throat. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #7
CocksfanNC
Gamecock Mama

Female

CockyCash: 100500
CocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot material

I have something in my eye.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #8
doc
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 380
doc has feathers coming indoc has feathers coming indoc has feathers coming in

I thought it was kind of girly, so I copied it and sent it to my wife.
doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 97950
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

Thanks for sharing...I am going to use it in my Sunday school lesson today as it applies
ShutTheSuccop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #10
KC85
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post
Thanks for sharing...I am going to use it in my Sunday school lesson today as it applies
That's awesome.