CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Gamecocks1137
U-Dub Gamecock
johnnyb
GamecockMomSC
Cockhornleghorn
2000grad
ZenUSC
Captain9Dragons
JaxcockFL
We Have to Pass (1913)
Rivalry Thoughts and (1403)
Spurrier weekly pres (1329)
This would be awesom (883)
How is Shaq Davidson (717)
McConaughey cast as (438)
Perspective on our g (427)
Defense and offense (314)
Black Friday Hard Co (260)
SEC referees? (255)
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
SEC referees?
We Have to Pass
Currently 2nd in attendan
Coaching Carousel 2014/15
RG3 - Struggles Not Getti
Why has there been 40 yea
2015 - Darius Slayton
College Football PSA (urg
2015 Commitment - Dexter

Old 02-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
SCBLACKDOG
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
SCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his comb
Default Shon Carson?

So is Shon Carson only going to play baseball now? I know he chose along with the coaches to burn his redshirt this year at the Outback Bowl because he has no plans to stay at USC forever but I have not heard much about him playing football next year. Has he indicated what his plans are? Just curious...
SCBLACKDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76
Default Re: Shon Carson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBLACKDOG View Post
So is Shon Carson only going to play baseball now? I know he chose along with the coaches to burn his redshirt this year at the Outback Bowl because he has no plans to stay at USC forever but I have not heard much about him playing football next year. Has he indicated what his plans are? Just curious...
He came in wanting to play two sports, but couldnt last year because of his ACL. He got drafted out of high school for baseball.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

CockyCash: 450
STEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot material

He and ahmad christian made the team
Old 02-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Would be sort of surprised if he doesn't get drafted again when he is eligible and leaves. IMO, I think baseball is where his heart is at.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
lilhornet
Great to be a Gamecock

Male

CockyCash: 25074528
lilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPit

^ I think he realizes his the money is better for a baseball player and he could impact the team for three years and get drafted.
lilhornet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #6
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

I think he'll start in baseball and fall where he may on the depth chart at RB, but continue to play both until he gets 1) an offer for baseball 2) is projected well enough into the draft.

More than likely we are looking at scenario 1.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
SCBLACKDOG
Recruit

Male

SCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his comb

Sounds like you all kind of feel like I do in regards to the fact that most likely we will not see him on the football field. I really wanted to see him play football at Carolina but I am still thankful that at least we have him at baseball.
SCBLACKDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

He might see time on the football field - a lot can happen in an off season - just ask Shon himself!

Where will he be when compared to Mike Davis and Brandon Wilds? I don't know. I think Davis/Wilds are similar built runners, tough runners. I think Carson has the speed to break it to the house. So I look at it like this:

If we had RB1 (bruiser) RB2 (speedster):

RB1 depth:
Mike Davis
Brandon Wilds
etc.

RB2 depth:
Shon Carson
etc.

To say it more clearly: I think we should combo Davis/Carson to have a mix up style, rather than Davis/Wilds at least, from what I've seen at this point, which is very little of any of them. I saw Wilds two years ago when Lattimore went down the first time, and we saw a little of Davis this year in his back up roll to Miles.

This shouldn't be seen as a knock at all against Brandon Wilds. And this doesn't feel like a post in a baseball forum, I just wanted to emphasize where I saw Carson fitting in with football.

I think he'll start in the OF at baseball as long as he cares to.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Interestingly, I talked to someone whose son went to High School with Shon the other day. Apparently they were good friends, and she also believes if he makes the team he will probably remain baseball as his primary. He was in the final round of cuts last year, I think.

I believe he also loves baseball and wants to excel at it. Could have a very long career in it too.
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1185
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryarx View Post
He might see time on the football field - a lot can happen in an off season - just ask Shon himself!

Where will he be when compared to Mike Davis and Brandon Wilds? I don't know. I think Davis/Wilds are similar built runners, tough runners. I think Carson has the speed to break it to the house. So I look at it like this:

RB1 depth:
Mike Davis
Brandon Wilds
etc.

RB2 depth:
Shon Carson
etc.

To say it more clearly: I think we should combo Davis/Carson to have a mix up style, rather than Davis/Wilds at least, from what I've seen at this point, which is very little of any of them. I saw Wilds two years ago when Lattimore went down the first time, and we saw a little of Davis this year in his back up roll to Miles.

This shouldn't be seen as a knock at all against Brandon Wilds. And this doesn't feel like a post in a baseball forum, I just wanted to emphasize where I saw Carson fitting in with football.

Tough part about it is playing both sports will likely hinder his development in both areas. If he sticks with one, he could be really special.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #11
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:

RB1 depth:
Mike Davis
Brandon Wilds
etc.

RB2 depth:
Shon Carson
etc.

I think if he makes the baseball team (and this is just my feelings on it) he may choose not to play football anymore. The scholarship situation being what it is, that may not be so bad. If he does choose to play football I believe he will do very well.

But either way, I think we are as good as we have ever been with Wilds, Davis, Salley, Carson and Williams.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #12
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

Well, he made the baseball team and is a starting OF from what I've heard, which I guess won't be official for a couple days, I believe I heard that from a Chad Holbrook interview he was saying something to the effect of "you can be a back up in fielder or start every game in the outfield."

I would guess he would continue to play football though. He won't have to make that decision until after the summer right? Whether or not he's on scholarship for fall '13 - Spring '14 for football or baseball right?
Old 02-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #13
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Well, he made the baseball team and is a starting OF from what I've heard, which I guess won't be official for a couple days, I believe I heard that from a Chad Holbrook interview he was saying something to the effect of "you can be a back up in fielder or start every game in the outfield."

I would guess he would continue to play football though. He won't have to make that decision until after the summer right? Whether or not he's on scholarship for fall '13 - Spring '14 for football or baseball right?
I'm not sure of the deadline. As long as he plays football he takes up a football scholarship, right?
Old 02-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #14
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Whether or not he's on scholarship for fall '13 - Spring '14 for football or baseball right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
I'm not sure of the deadline. As long as he plays football he takes up a football scholarship, right?
The numbers always work out....

Lonnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #15
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Quote:
Yes, if you play football and are on scholly, it counts to football #s. Example - Bruce's scholly was switched from basketball to football the moment he suited up for SOS.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #16
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Yes, if you play football and any other sport, if you are on scholarship, it has to be a football scholarship. That stems from I believe it was Bear Bryant at Bama putting people on track scholarships and using them for football. I don't remember what coach/school though, but the rule was a direct result of some school exploiting in that way.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #17
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:

RB1 depth:
Mike Davis
Brandon Wilds
etc.

RB2 depth:
Shon Carson
etc.

If you put Davis and Carson in the backfield at the same time, you have effectively eliminated a blocker on the outside, and I'm not sure if either Davis or Carson can block very well.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #18
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2462144
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Glad to hear he and Ahmad Christian made the team. It will be neat watching them two this spring and summer.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #19
walk.daddy
sings for money

Male

CockyCash: 533
walk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofCarolina1 View Post
Glad to hear he and Ahmad Christian made the team. It will be neat watching them two this spring and summer.
One of the reasons Shon was in the running for early playing time is because he was a good blocker.
walk.daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #20
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

hes probably not even thinking about it one way or the other right now. 100% focused on baseball and after the season he'll have a decision to make. with the bad luck hes had his first two years on the football field and his love of baseball i'd imagine if the baseball season goes well for him that he'd stick to baseball only.

i dont really think wilds or davis would need carson to compliment them as runners, neither are breakaway backs, but theyre not really carbon copies. at the same time i dont think carson would necessarily need a compliment either because i think he's big enough to handle a 75% or more workload if it was dictated. it would be a shame if we never got to see what he could do.

i dont think he meant two backs sets, he meant having either wilds/davis as your no.1 back and carson as the no.2 back since he has the speed and breakaway ability that they dont have.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote