CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Cockypantherfan
roosterdude21
F4rpoole
Spur's Addiction
2000grad
Thenardier
Spurticus
qcgamecock
GH
eaglegolf018
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (1513)
The #AskEmmert Q& (473)
Chico McClatcher- 20 (347)
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!! (197)
Peach Bowl name retu (187)
Construction of Worl (152)
Save Electricity By (136)
Stadium Ratings-Site (108)
HELP calculating acr (101)
How Experienced In P (55)
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
Stadium Ratings-Site rate
2015 - Davon Durant
Victor Hampton Arrested
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM
Amazon Fire TV
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #1
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!

Old 12-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
Ph/JDCock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
Ph/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudly
Default Best match-up competition-wise for bowl game?

Unless something changes, it appears that we likely will get Wisconsin in the Capital One Bowl or Baylor in the Cotton (with a more remote chance of Oklahoma or Texas).

I think we are more than capable of beating either Wisconsin or Baylor, but which team do you believe we match up better with? I have read a lot of material about concerns for Baylor's high-powered offense, but I think I would probably be more concerned about Wisconsin's run game, as it would match their offensive strength (power running) vs. a weakness of ours (run D up the middle).

I have only seen highlights of Wisconsin and know their schedule isn't the strongest in the world, but they have two guys who have rushed for more than 1,300 yards, one of whom averages over 8 ypc and the other over 6. Their third leading rusher has more than 500 yards and averages over 7 ypc. The match-ups in this game concern me because of our size at LB and how we played against Todd Gurley. Although Arkansas only scored 7, they averaged 9+ yards a carry against us.

On the other hand, Baylor runs a more finesse offense that seems similar in nature to Clemson's and Missouri's, and we handled their pressure relatively well.

Thoughts on these two potential match-ups?
Ph/JDCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material
Default Re: Best match-up competition-wise for bowl game?

I concur.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
35-21
Tons-A-Fun

Male

CockyCash: 200
35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly

Our nickel D gives us a much better chance against Baylor.
35-21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
JAYBEZ
1st Team All-SEC

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 1st place Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff 
CockyCash: 127561006
JAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot material

I like our chances against Wisconsin. They are one sided on the run game. If we are able to get them behind schedule, its an easy w.

Not to mention, they aren't in any hurry on offense.

It would be a freaking track meet with Baylor.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
cocky-K
Recruit

Female

cocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his combcocky-K is developing his comb

I want Baylor. The up tempo offenses have really not been a problem for our D.
cocky-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Michigan State. As good as their defense is, our offense just has too many ways to attack them and I think they would have a tough time scoring on us. It should be a pretty close though.
ReadR00ster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

I've watched most of Baylor's games and saw them live at TCU last week - any physicality is a problem for them, i.e. we'd handle them well. Wisconsin makes me think of the Iowa match-up a few years ago, a little tougher to handle.

Gaichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
InGarciaWeTrust
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 100500
InGarciaWeTrust rules the CockPitInGarciaWeTrust rules the CockPitInGarciaWeTrust rules the CockPitInGarciaWeTrust rules the CockPitInGarciaWeTrust rules the CockPitInGarciaWeTrust rules the CockPitInGarciaWeTrust rules the CockPitInGarciaWeTrust rules the CockPitInGarciaWeTrust rules the CockPitInGarciaWeTrust rules the CockPitInGarciaWeTrust rules the CockPit

So no chance of the Outback Bowl?
InGarciaWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
scgrad2004
Walk On

Male

scgrad2004 has feathers coming inscgrad2004 has feathers coming inscgrad2004 has feathers coming in

Looking at it from purely the game to watch and the extras (image, recruiting, national draw, etc) I would say I would like the match up with Baylor in the Cotton Bowl. I'm not sure how we would fare, but I think as far as national exposure moving into next year and for recruiting in Texas could go a long way. Regardless, mapping out a plan to go to either Dallas or Orlando (or elsewhere)!
scgrad2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 35685
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by InGarciaWeTrust View Post
Slight chance... Depends on if the Cotton Bowl wants us
Old 12-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by InGarciaWeTrust View Post
I doubt it.

I think we would ask to get traded with aTm to the Peach Bowl if we slipped to the Outback.

(And I hope it happens)

And the best match-up for us is Duke...all the other teams are good.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #12
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 35685
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

I went to Wild Wings(for the SOS show) last night, and SOS said it would be Cap-1, Cotton or Outback.... So I assume the Outback will not pass on us if we are available...
Old 12-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #13
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock View Post
I went to Wild Wings(for the SOS show) last night, and SOS said it would be Cap-1, Cotton or Outback.... So I assume the Outback will not pass on us if we are available...
SOS also said he took advice from a fan about play calling.

There isn't much appetite for us to go back to Tampa...on either side. And I sure as hell don't want to play Iowa.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #14
Garnet Gamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

I'll take any of them.

As long as Connor is our quarterback, I really don't care who it is.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #15
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaichon View Post
I've watched most of Baylor's games and saw them live at TCU last week - any physicality is a problem for them, i.e. we'd handle them well. Wisconsin makes me think of the Iowa match-up a few years ago, a little tougher to handle.
We were also absolutely awful when we played Iowa. Probably the low point in Spurrier era.
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #16
Carolina-Beez
Blue Chip

Male

Carolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgrad2004 View Post
Looking at it from purely the game to watch and the extras (image, recruiting, national draw, etc) I would say I would like the match up with Baylor in the Cotton Bowl. I'm not sure how we would fare, but I think as far as national exposure moving into next year and for recruiting in Texas could go a long way. Regardless, mapping out a plan to go to either Dallas or Orlando (or elsewhere)!
"No, we will not recruit Texas...not going to go in and compete against Texas and Oklahoma and all them guys." -- Steve Spurrier
Old 12-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #17
Ph/JDCock
Recruit

Male

Ph/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYBEZ View Post
I like our chances against Wisconsin. They are one sided on the run game. If we are able to get them behind schedule, its an easy w.
Wisconsin's QB threw for several hundred yards more than Shaw did, although he took almost every snap for them for 12 games (we threw for about 400 more yards if you take Shaw's and Thompson's numbers together). The Badgers also have a 1,000-yard receiver but didn't spread it around like we did (they have three guys w/200+ yards receiving, and we have six).

It might be an overstatement to say they are a one-trick pony on offense... they average >204 ypg through the air and 283 on the ground, albeit (according to strength of schedule) against inferior competition.
Ph/JDCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #18
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

I firmly believe we belong in the SECCG if not for annual WTF game, and we'd win it. That would have put us on the title hunt and if you don't think we can hang with FSU or OSU you're stoned out if your fricking mind or scared. Shaw is one of the most underrated quarterbacks in the country. We smacked around Clemson when there were people actually thinking they'd be competitive. I guess people thought last week we were playing the 1984 Niners.

I have a hard time believing that there's any team ranked number three in any alternative conference that could give us a good run. Call me a fanboy but we will slaughter any Big 10 team, and Baylor would spend their defense by halftime against us.
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #19
wincocks84
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 450
wincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervous

Honestly I think the cotton passes on us. We will probably end up in cap one vs big ten...again. Do they actually allow trades? If so I would welcome the Chic fila.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #20
uscandy
4-Star

Male

uscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina-Beez View Post
"No, we will not recruit Texas...not going to go in and compete against Texas and Oklahoma and all them guys." -- Steve Spurrier
Typical Spurrier recruiting attitude. By all means let's not try and get the best players. Ole Miss says hi.
uscandy is offline   Reply With Quote