CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
eaglegolf018
Coulwoodwarlord
ReadR00ster
SAETerrier
HelleraisingCock
roosterdude21
JerseyBird
Cockhornleghorn
GamecockStud
bigdog2003
Larenz Bryant update (1592)
Joeckel Transfering (909)
Victor Hampton Arres (675)
UK's Whitlow to tran (652)
2016 - Greg Little (612)
response from charte (460)
What type of snake i (441)
Wu Tang affiliated r (383)
13 Vintage Internet (233)
Attendance next seas (172)
2015 - Clelin Ferrell
2015 Warm/Warmer/Favorite
2015 Commitment - Shameik
A'ja Wilson
2016 - Greg Little
Playstation 4
Softball takes 2 of 3 at
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM
Attendance next season
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso

Old 12-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material
Default Happy? Maybe. Satisfied? Hell no.

I'm the first person to know what a crank I can be, and I admit I love to hate on mainstream things, and 99% of it is bull and silliness.

But this isn't.

Elevating expectations to new levels is part of the culture change sold to us by Spurrier from day one. We were told not to be satisfied with the "way things are", and I agreed with him then, and I'd echo his attitude right now.

I'm willing to take the criticism and called names and be told to GTFO and be singled out if need be, because I know I'm not the only one who is dissatisfied with things because I expected more than an "11 win season, Cap 1 Bowl, Clemson win" season. Call me what you want, but I expected more, and so should everyone else, and I'm not going to sit around and pretend like "we get to go Christmas shopping in shorts and flip-flops" (seriously) is enough of a reason to think this season was swell. Get frigging real.

Be happy? I can grumble if I want. But I am not satisfied.

Why should we be telling other fans that we should shut up and be satisfied with the way things went down this year? So we are right back to where we were in 2012 - I guess that stinks - but telling others to be satisfied with it is another thing entirely.

Given the trend, are we going to be bragging in a few years that "NO CAROLINA TEAM HAS EVER HAD 12-IN-A-ROW 10 WIN SEASONS!!!1!" That is mediocrity man. Quit telling people that having back-to-back-to-back anything is a success. Solid winning programs move forward because people refuse to be satisfied. Like Spurrier sold us when he showed up.

We have reached a plateau, and regardless of how much better it is than 20 years ago, people are satisfied with that plateau because "it is what it is". Huh?? Is that why Ray Tanner is our AD? To fulfilled a goal we fulfilled years ago? I doubt that was what went on in the meetings to promote that guy. I sincerely doubt Tanner told them the Crap One Bowl was the goal in 2013. But from some of the stuff on here you'd think it was the greatest thing because "It sure as hell is better than 1-11!!!!!" That's not thinking like we should.

I'm sick of consolation-prize, everybody-gets-a-medal thinking. Beating Clemson was fun, but what the hell good is it when we end up saying "wait til next year" AGAIN with the talent we have? Are we going to be satisfied with the C1 Bowl and beating Clemson again next year, and the year after that, and the year after that? Really? Mediocrity right there. Shift gears. Expect more.

The place we are at was a good place a few years ago and we cannot and should not be satisfied being where we are, and anything less is mediocrity and stagnation. I am sorry if people don't like that, but top organizations do not express satisfaction with reaching goals they have already reached and continue to reach. We may have reached a new level of excellence, but it is entirely reasonable and GOOD to continue to want to push forward instead of expressing strained and phony excitement about the state of affairs.

Look at any top program and tell me they are satisfied with "making a bowl game". Let alone the same bowl they were at.

Does anyone remember how many times LSU went to the Sugar Bowl? No. But you for damn sure remember when they picked it up - WAY up - and were in the title game.

"There's alot worse things that could be happening" is blindness. Are we a team on the rise? Is that the type of attitude that we want? "I'm not tired of going to the C1 Bowl"...... really?? I can't believe I read that.

If you're not tired of the C1 Bowl, then when will you get tired of it? When will you wake up and say "shit man, we're better than that"? And wonder why teams we could whip are skating past us? And better yet - not try and convince others they should be satisfied with the status quo?

What did Spurrier tell us about the "status quo" when he got here? Do you think that only applied to THAT status quo, and not "status quo thinking"?

The guy has won a championship and we're sitting around going "GTFO if you think we're stagnating"?? F that.

I can try and be happy about anything (no guarantees). But being satisfied is something else entirely, and I for one am not satisfied with the 2013 season, and no one else should be either. Call it "culture change".
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Happy? Maybe. Satisfied? Hell no.

This guy gets it. Absolutely spot on.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Haha. Bless his heart.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
Rh Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudly

Yea we should want to be better but should we get upset when we still had a good season? What changes are you going to make to the coaching staff since obviously we have a problem with the team? Wanting to do better and whining cause it didn't go as expected isn't what winners do. Winners go about there business and try to get better, not pout about it.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
4Runner
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 225
4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous

Too long and no pictures. Bottom line is we can do better.
4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rh Gamecock View Post
Yea we should want to be better but should we get upset when we still had a good season? What changes are you going to make to the coaching staff since obviously we have a problem with the team? Wanting to do better and whining cause it didn't go as expected isn't what winners do. Winners go about there business and try to get better, not pout about it.
We had a good season, but let me ask you something...

How is this the 2013 season any different from the 2011 and 2012 season?
Old 12-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #7
Rh Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

Rh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
This guy gets it. Absolutely spot on.
We get it you like this guy you told us in the other thread too.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
MDCox
Two Deep

Male

Bowl Contest Winner: Winner of the Bowl Contest - Given for: Winning the Board Bowl Contest 
CockyCash: 1740616
MDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudly

They were one pass breakup away (TN game) from playing Auburn for the chance to play FL State for the title. Who would be satisfied. I mean really??? Who?

If you type in all caps I am not reading your post. Simple as that.
MDCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #9
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114893542
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Starting next year it's about making the playoff. Otherwise everyone is in the same boat right?

As to answer the question of what was different about this year compare to the last two...we did it with the youngest team in college football this year. Mistakes were expected as was overreaction from our fanbase.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
Transmaniacon
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
Transmaniacon is crowing loudlyTransmaniacon is crowing loudlyTransmaniacon is crowing loudlyTransmaniacon is crowing loudlyTransmaniacon is crowing loudlyTransmaniacon is crowing loudlyTransmaniacon is crowing loudlyTransmaniacon is crowing loudlyTransmaniacon is crowing loudlyTransmaniacon is crowing loudlyTransmaniacon is crowing loudly

It's just sports, people.
Transmaniacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #11
Rh Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

Quote:

Team wise, our team this year overachieved. If you mean by wins then yea they are all similar but would you say we had a good season last year or 2011? If the answer is yes then whats the problem with this season. What fan doesn't want us to go to the national championship or SEC championship? It didnt happen so being positive about the situation doesn't mean we don't want the team to do better.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #12
Tony
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 400
Tony is sharpening his clawsTony is sharpening his clawsTony is sharpening his clawsTony is sharpening his claws

Army training , sir!
Old 12-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #13
FilchCock
4-Star

Male

FilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPit

Seriously?! Moral of this season: football is hard. Winning football is hard. No matter how good the team or how easy the schedule, it's hard to win football games, and even harder to win a bunch of them.

I grew up a Georgia fan, saw a bunch, I mean a load of winning seasons during the early and mid-2000s before going to USC. Guess what?! Georgia only went to the SEC championship game ONCE, and they were the big, bad, GEORGIA!

The fact is we thought this was "OUR YEAR". At Georgia every year was OUR YEAR and it hardly ever was .

In the SEC, you have to have a bunch of "OUR YEARS" before you get the year you want.

A couple bounces of the ball, that's the only difference between success and failure, and we didn't get em this year.

But guess what, if we continue to compete, eventually we will, and that's all I can ask.
FilchCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #14
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

I'm with you. I support my school as alumni and I would prefer they win in Orlando again this year, but I honestly don't care much about the bowl game this season.

The Capital-1 and Outback Bowls just scream bronze medal.

It's annoying that we're always good, but not good enough. Every year is "our year" and we always come up short.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #15
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Decent season. Blew it against UT. They was a really horrible loss.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #16
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1627
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
We get it you like this guy you told us in the other thread too.
#mancrush
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #17
scfanz
Starter

Male

scfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPit

Obviously you folks weren't around when Carolina was losing 21 in a row, when there was no support from the University administration or when the football coach was hired based on how low a salary he would take.

If 10-2 in the SEC with the youngest team in America is mediocre to you then you'll never be satisfied.
scfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #18
5150harley
Sandlapper Pools

Male

5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material

Gamecocks are no longer a home coming team. Everyone we play is trying to knock us off. Look at how UNC, UCF played us.

Gamecocks just have to be ready for the Tennessee's or who ever we should beat and learn how to win on the road.

Am I satisfied ? He'll no!
Old 12-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #19
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

Quote:
Team wise, our team this year overachieved. If you mean by wins then yea they are all similar but would you say we had a good season last year or 2011? If the answer is yes then whats the problem with this season. What fan doesn't want us to go to the national championship or SEC championship? It didnt happen so being positive about the situation doesn't mean we don't want the team to do better.
The problem is that is it's been the same thing each of the last three years. We've plateaued from 2011-2013. Ten wins, beat Clemson, hope for someone to help us out so that we can win the division sometime in the last two weeks of the season. That's all it's been. Time for something new.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #20
bcolinc
4-Star

Male

bcolinc has earned his spursbcolinc has earned his spursbcolinc has earned his spursbcolinc has earned his spursbcolinc has earned his spursbcolinc has earned his spurs

Quote:

This year we did what we did in those two seasons with "the youngest team in America"

I'm fat and happy