CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CoverTwo
Singaporecock
ReadR00ster
sporkgod50
usc1
2000grad
ktguen
3MTA3
markp_vip
jrussjr
Group wants Clemson, (982)
Larenz Bryant update (876)
Hillsborough (540)
2015 - Chris Clark (473)
2016 - Greg Little (470)
Joeckel Transfering (466)
UK's Whitlow to tran (455)
Bamberg High School (311)
USC Tartan Unvieled (257)
Its April 15th and i (256)
Jameis Winston's Accuser
A'ja Wilson
purchasing football ticke
Need Bama-USC Tickets (Ba
Kelcy and Vic questioned
Larenz Bryant update?
SC Supreme Court Rules ag
MLS Atlanta
UK's Whitlow to transfer
Joeckel Transfering from

Old 12-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
Garnet Gamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material
Default Running Game -- Why Can't We Go Wide?

For the most part, I love our running game, but we seem to completely avoid any concept of a true sweep and only occasionally are using the jet sweep which is so fashionable.

We rarely pull off a reverse successfully, even when we can use Damiere. True sweeps? It seems our convoy of blockers takes too long to get there.

Against Clemson, we had to use Connor and Pharoh to go wide, yet Mike Davis and Shon Carson are plenty fast, and last time I checked, Damiere is in the top five speed burners in the nation.

So...

When another team jams us, why don't we utilize more options to take it wide and spread the defense out?

Seriously, my concern is that contrary to popular belief, we don't block along the edges as well as some other teams. I also am not confident in our downfield blocking.

I just felt that for more than two quarters against Clemson we were banging our head against a wall, running Mike into the backs of our linemen.

I'll hang up and listen...

Last edited by Garnet Gamecock; 12-09-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Garnet Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
LawyerLarry
Recruit

Male

LawyerLarry has feathers coming inLawyerLarry has feathers coming in
Default Re: Running Game -- Why Can't We Go Wide?

I just want to piggy back a question of mine. Why don't we do hurry-up offense? Furthermore, why do we do the exact opposite of hurry-up and wait until the very last second to snap the ball?
LawyerLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
cockfight21
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
cockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot material

Because is doesn't really ever work. SEC defenses are way too fast.

Kenny Powers
cockfight21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
unccgamecock
Walk On

Male

unccgamecock is sharpening his clawsunccgamecock is sharpening his clawsunccgamecock is sharpening his clawsunccgamecock is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockfight21 View Post
Tell that to mizzou and auburn
unccgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

im not saying it should be the staple of our running game, but id like to see us do the shotgun sweep with the two pulling lineman a la what we do with cooper in the wildcat as a change up.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
Garnet Gamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by unccgamecock View Post
Darn. You beat me to it!
Old 12-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
sporkgod50
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 97410000
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawyerLarry View Post
I just want to piggy back a question of mine. Why don't we do hurry-up offense? Furthermore, why do we do the exact opposite of hurry-up and wait until the very last second to snap the ball?
I think my cardiologist is behind it. maybe he wants a second vacation home.

sporkgod50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #8
Garnet Gamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

1) We have speed at running back but we may not have enough speed along the offensive line.

2) I also feel that our players frequently don't "finish out plays", meaning that they don't sustain blocks or seek out someone to block as the running backs head past the line, especially on any plays out wide, including sideline passes.

3) Connor's runs have been straight lines for the most part in order to keep him healthy. Really would have loved for Connor to have stayed healthy enough that he would feel comfortable juking and taking it to the house.

4) We are so zone-read happy that we are used to running everything off the tailback's belly. Connor has great hands and could make tremendous pitches to a streaking Davis going wide... but we have to seal the end.

5) Some of our receivers (won't name names) don't block worth a hoot.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #9
rubber
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
rubber has hatched from the shell

I want the Auburn running game for Christmas.
rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #10
Garnet Gamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
You mean, "tell that to Mizzou and Auburn as their players go streaking by you."
Old 12-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #11
Garnet Gamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber View Post
Tre Mason is a beast, but Clemson (of all people) has found something special in McDowell.

Thank God Chad Morris' ego wouldn't let him commit to the ground game against us!

And Dabo? Well, bless his heart, he just decided to let Chad run the show (like he always does).

McDowell was gashing us and their line was creating massive lanes, but Chad and Dabo were afraid Dropkins would get his feelings hurt if they didn't throw all the time.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #12
Garnet Gamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawyerLarry View Post
South Carolina runs the "slow it down" offense.

Don't know why, but at least it works.

I'll take that... when I consider how few penalties we create now compared to a few years ago. Four or five seasons ago, if the Gamecocks had a great play, you would count "One Mississippi, Two Mississippi" to see if a flag was already in the air. In those days, we were pretty skilled at shooting ourselves in the foot.

Dabo has taken that approach and woven it into his playbook!

Last edited by Garnet Gamecock; 12-09-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Garnet Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #13
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
No, he is actually right for the most part.

The "sweep" had basically died as a primary play in a run offense...it is just mixed in occasionally now to mix it up rather than a focus. Defenses are just a lot faster these days.

An off tackle at most with inside runs and misdirection...aka playing assignments and gaps is where the meat of your run game will succeed.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #14
poppabeary3
Blue Chip

Male

poppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber View Post
+1...and dont tell me its because their OL is so good. Sure, they're good, but they're young and inexperienced. The difference is the play calling and coaching. We're so damn stubborn with the zone read and don't get creative other than the Wildcat (which I wouldnt consider creative anymore). Why don't we work in more option or pitches? Why don't we mix in a power I set every no and then? Why don't we use the pistol more often? A power I out of the shotgun with 2 backs and 2 TEs would give us an unbelieveable amount of options. Instead, we run a mostly vanilla offense.

EDIT...I'm happy with the season but I think we're not reaching our potential and I'm worried our team and most of all, the coaches, will become complacent with our offensive production. And to be fair, I just ****ing hate the zone read as a primary offensive scheme.
poppabeary3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #15
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Because our running game scheme is bad.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #16
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Where has the toss sweep gone in College Football???
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #17
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
Because our running game scheme is bad.
Definitely need something to offset everyone crashing the zone plays and jamming the LOS. That slot guy coming accross the backside gives the LBs something to think about and there are a number of teams dropping back into a pass after faking a zone type hand off....play action out of the zone plays.

Still wish we had an Alshon/Sidney type WR that we could throw deep to without it being a risky play.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #18
Carolina-Beez
Blue Chip

Male

Carolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet Gamecock View Post
For the most part, I love our running game, but we seem to completely avoid any concept of a true sweep and only occasionally are using the jet sweep which is so fashionable.

We rarely pull off a reverse successfully, even when we can use Damiere. True sweeps? It seems our convoy of blockers takes to long to get there.

Against Clemson, we had to use Connor and Pharoh to go wide, yet Mike Davis and Shon Carson are plenty fast, and last time I checked, Damiere is in the top five speed burners in the nation.

So...

When another team jams us, why don't we utilize more options to take it wide and spread the defense out?

I'll hang up and listen...

Seriously, my concern is that contrary to popular belief, we don't block along the edges as well as some other teams. I also am not confident in our downfield blocking.

I just felt that for more than two quarters against Clemson we were banging our head against a wall, running Mike into the backs of our linemen.
First, kudos for starting a great thread. You ask a really good question.

To get wide, a offense must force an opposing team to defend the middle. Believe it or not, Tre Mason does, on occasion, run into the back of his O linemen. But who has time to notice it? Auburn is back running the ball seconds later, usually up the middle again. Defensive must stop that dive play. And stop it again...and again...and again...and then....BAM!...Auburn hits 'em with a sweep!

We need more rushing attempts. Specifically, we need more rushing attempts up the gut to force teams to defend the middle. And to Spurrier's credit, he did exactly that against Clemson. The best game he called all season. We had 50 rushing attempts, many of them into the heart of the Clemson D, which opened up the outside for Shaw and Cooper.

I'm optimistic that Coach is evolving. He's not stubbornly attempting to run an antiquated "Fun 'n Gun" offense. I'm looking forward to the bowl game to see, with a month to prepare, the continued inventiveness in his playcalling, in particular what he does with the talents of Pharoh Cooper.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #19
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 675600
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockfight21 View Post
And going up the middle works so well for us.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #20
eggroll
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 50000
eggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talons

The speed option was run a few times a game earlier in the season. I think it worked once. I do remember getting stuffed on the goal line trying it as well. I believe that was the UGa game.
eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote