CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
3MTA3
JerseyBird
GarnetSwarm1990
rosstheboss
Ericvol2096
usc90grad
ertman420
MWard
spareparts
Cunningham wants to (1335)
ESPN article on Clow (1029)
Clemson Georgia Game (812)
Mangus now coaching (552)
Can Tennessee get to (400)
Chick Redefines the (268)
Spread vs. aTm (227)
Truly Inspiring (210)
Dodge NY Auto Show N (197)
The Bama series (196)
2 Crazy things
Can Tennessee get to a Bo
Mangus now coaching TEs
The Bama series
2015 - Davon Durant
2015 - Taj Griffin
Lindy's top 100 for 2010
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
Playstation 4
ESPN article on Clowney -

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
usc_yogi
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudly
Default 2013 Shrine Bowl Thread

I got a chance to attend the Shrine Bowl practice on Tuesday morning and check out some of our recruits and get some first hand impressions.

OL Malik Young looked pretty good. He hasn't received much attention but did well in the live action against DEs. He was physical enough to handle the big guys and moved his feet enough to deal with the smaller faster DEs. Like most OL, he will need to redshirt to get up to speed physically with other SEC lineman.

OL Donell Stanley-Honestly, I was not overly impressed with him. He has been playing tackle, but I don't see him being able to do that at USC. He still wants to get out of position and lean too much and wasn't doing a good job of moving his feet to stop the edge rushers. He has a lot of upside and long arms and is pretty strong, but he will need some time to develop into a good SEC lineman.

WR Tyshaun Samuel-I really like this kid. He fits the mold of Ellington, Jones, and Byrd. He runs good routes and has great hands. He will be a great possession receiver to go along with Roland's deep thrat.

DL-Dexter Wideman- I know he is not a USC commit yet, but he is without a doubt the best DL on this team. Good size and he wants to be a leader. There are questions about if he will have the grades to qualify, but if USC can flip him and get him in the system it will be a plus.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material
Default Re: Tuesday Shrine Bowl Practice

I agree with your assessment on both our linemen.
I watched Young play earlier this year against Hanna...guy has a nasty streak in him and is pretty athletic....but you are right, will need a RS to transform his body a tad and improve his pass-blocking.

Stanley I think will take time simply because he played Class A football, and was probably the biggest and strongest on the field nearly every week. Now he will go against guys just as big, just as strong as him, and will need time to sharpen fundamentals, get into better shape and learn the playbook.

it is great right now we have the depth to RS our linemen...a few years ago we might have counted on them to be on the two-deep right away.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Old 12-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
athenscock2
Blue Chip

Male

athenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talons

Thanks for your post. Good to get first hand info from a gamecock and not filtered through the media.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
usc_yogi
Blue Chip

Male

usc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudly

No problem. I was really interested in seeing the two QBs in person-Park and Rudolph. Both of these kids are impressive. Park will fit good in the GA system with what they do. He wasn't great by any means Tuesday morning, but got better as the day went on. He does have a little mobility, so it will be interesting to see if UGA uses it at all.

I was more impressed by Rudolph. He will be a good fit for the Ok State system as well. The knock on him is that he is a system QB. He throws a pretty a tight ball and has good arm strength. He will do well in a pass first offense.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc_yogi View Post
I got a chance to attend the Shrine Bowl practice on Tuesday morning and check out some of our recruits and get some first hand impressions.

OL Malik Young looked pretty good. He hasn't received much attention but did well in the live action against DEs. He was physical enough to handle the big guys and moved his feet enough to deal with the smaller faster DEs. Like most OL, he will need to redshirt to get up to speed physically with other SEC lineman.

OL Donell Stanley-Honestly, I was not overly impressed with him. He has been playing tackle, but I don't see him being able to do that at USC. He still wants to get out of position and lean too much and wasn't doing a good job of moving his feet to stop the edge rushers. He has a lot of upside and long arms and is pretty strong, but he will need some time to develop into a good SEC lineman.

WR Tyshaun Samuel-I really like this kid. He fits the mold of Ellington, Jones, and Byrd. He runs good routes and has great hands. He will be a great possession receiver to go along with Roland's deep thrat.

DL-Dexter Wideman- I know he is not a USC commit yet, but he is without a doubt the best DL on this team. Good size and he wants to be a leader. There are questions about if he will have the grades to qualify, but if USC can flip him and get him in the system it will be a plus.
Samuel is actually faster than Roland. Kid is going to be a star.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
InletCock1989
5th Year Senior

Male

InletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
I agree with your assessment on both our linemen.
I watched Young play earlier this year against Hanna...guy has a nasty streak in him and is pretty athletic....but you are right, will need a RS to transform his body a tad and improve his pass-blocking.

Stanley I think will take time simply because he played Class A football, and was probably the biggest and strongest on the field nearly every week. Now he will go against guys just as big, just as strong as him, and will need time to sharpen fundamentals, get into better shape and learn the playbook.

it is great right now we have the depth to RS our linemen...a few years ago we might have counted on them to be on the two-deep right away.

Hey Clifton Geathers, Jerrell played 1-A ball until they moved up to 2-A. Stanley just dominated those little guys lol; but yes I get what your saying.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
Harry Tuttle
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1200
Harry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervous

DL-Dexter Wideman...great a leader that can't make the grades. Sounds allot like G.W.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
SClawman
Game MVP

Male

SClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by InletCock1989 View Post
Hey Clifton Geathers, Jerrell played 1-A ball until they moved up to 2-A. Stanley just dominated those little guys lol; but yes I get what your saying.
Alshon played 1-A ball too.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
Tailfeathers
Starter

Tailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBASEBALL1 View Post
Samuel is actually faster than Roland.
What does that mean? Hundreds were/are faster than Jerry Rice.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

he's just pointing it out. he didn't make any claims at all.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
carolinacoast
Household Name

Male

carolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPit

Quote:

I heard he was impressive from both recruiting analysts and coaches.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #12
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBASEBALL1 View Post
Samuel is actually faster than Roland. Kid is going to be a star.
I asked Tony Morrell on TBS today how Deebo compared to Shaq Davidson as to speed, quickness and hands.....he said "Deebo is as good or better in every respect"....wow....just wow. In fairness to Shaq, he has been playing a lot of QB and will need to learn the WR position.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #13
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
DL-Dexter Wideman...great a leader that can't make the grades. Sounds allot like G.W.
If he doesn't qualify, I hope he goes to Fork Union....he have had a lot of good players go there and then come to Carolina. I think their coaches will protect him also.

One other thing I read about Dexter at the Shrine......he will get in your face and talk some trash. I got no problem with that. It ain't bragging if you can back it up.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #14
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailfeathers View Post
What does that mean? Hundreds were/are faster than Jerry Rice.
There were 3 things that made Jerry Rice great....Joe Montana, John Taylor and Dwight Clark.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #15
zambam
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 24050000
zambam is crowing loudlyzambam is crowing loudlyzambam is crowing loudlyzambam is crowing loudlyzambam is crowing loudlyzambam is crowing loudlyzambam is crowing loudlyzambam is crowing loudlyzambam is crowing loudlyzambam is crowing loudlyzambam is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
There were 3 things that made Jerry Rice great....Joe Montana, John Taylor and Dwight Clark.

You're not serious are you?
Old 12-19-2013, 12:33 AM   #16
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambam View Post
You're not serious are you?
No....but those other receivers made it a lot easier for Rice to get open.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:39 AM   #17
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Stanley projects as a guard at the college level but could play tackle after a few years if coaching and time in the S&C program.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:40 AM   #18
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
Having a brain freeze here-who is GW?
Old 12-19-2013, 01:42 AM   #19
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
no idea but that post doesn't belong here. Can't stand posts that call kids out for any reason that isn't legal-related.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #20
rrsandersjr
4-Star

Male

rrsandersjr has earned his spursrrsandersjr has earned his spursrrsandersjr has earned his spursrrsandersjr has earned his spursrrsandersjr has earned his spursrrsandersjr has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
George Washington?
Closed Thread