CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
3MTA3
JerseyBird
GarnetSwarm1990
ertman420
rosstheboss
Ericvol2096
spareparts
usc90grad
MWard
ESPN article on Clow (1065)
Clemson Georgia Game (834)
Mangus now coaching (716)
Can Tennessee get to (523)
Chick Redefines the (314)
Spread vs. aTm (263)
The Bama series (254)
Truly Inspiring (226)
Dodge NY Auto Show N (218)
2 Crazy things (196)
2015 - Taj Griffin
Worse Hire Brad Scott or
2 Crazy things
The Bama series
2016 - Issac Nauta
2015 - Davon Durant
Lindy's top 100 for 2010
Can Tennessee get to a Bo
Mangus now coaching TEs
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM

Old 12-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 31828
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material
Default Re-Recruiting Players

The old saying goes, "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

I believe sometimes, the best thing schools can do, as far as recruiting and personnel changes go, is re-recruit players they already have on their teams.

Yes, you want to bring in the best talent available and players that fit your program or players who will thrive in a system you can run.

A lot of time is spent getting these players into your teams' training, strength, conditioning and practice regimen. Players take time to adjust to the higher level of competition and the speed of the game at the higher level.

So once those players become redshirt sophomores, juniors, and redshirt juniors, seniors and redshirt seniors, they are the personnel getting most of the starts and being trusted in leadership positions and in certain game situations. They have experience and prior coaching to pull from.

Not every team can go out there and recruit top-5 ranked classes and it is hard to forecast some of the positions that will need to suddenly have an influx of players (due to injuries, suspensions, transfers, poor play, etc). When this type of stuff happens, it usually takes place after the season has started but well into the late part of the next years' recruiting cycle - a time of the year that is hard to suddenly go out a grab a few gret players to fill that vulnerable position and build depth.

So sometimes the best recruiting coaches and coordinators can do is to re-recruit players and get them to stay in school for another year.

Of course this can be seen as selfish and it totally is. That is part of the point too. To go into this mode of thinking requires the thinker to put the needs of the school above the risks the individual player is asked to take on.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
GH
Moonocababa

Male

GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material
Default Re: Re-Recruiting Players

Players like Jadeveon Clowney, who are projected in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounds of the NFL draft should leave early (IMHO) and I would certainly tell them to go ahead and give it a good long look.

At the same time, I would be building depth at that position and getting the guys behind that star some much needed PT and practice (as is practical...sometimes the games are too close to swap people out too much)

Now if the player is borderline 3rd round or lower, I am giving them the hard sell to come back for another year.

I would hopefully be honest and say that I want them back more because of what they mean to the team and less because I think they could improve their stock. I would prefer it be mutually beneficial but at the same time I want a team full of outstanding athletes
Old 12-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

yea if there's one thing this staff does suck at, it's convincing anyone to stay
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybreeyan View Post
yea if there's one thing this staff does suck at, it's convincing anyone to stay
Examples please.

I'm just trying to think about who you would have had stay honestly.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material
Default Re-Recruiting Players

Don't fall for it cockybreeyan.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
greatwhitecock
Recruit

Male

greatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post
Examples please.

Captain Munnerlyn.
greatwhitecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
rioninusc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhitecock View Post
Captain Munnerlyn.
Ace Sanders, Vic Hampton are some others. Vic is thinking of coming back, if his grade isn't high enough though.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
USC843
Recruit

Male

USC843 has feathers coming inUSC843 has feathers coming in

Quote:
I've said this before, and i'll say it again. Its a recruiting tool. You don't want the reputation of begging players to stay (see: Dabo). Nick Saban is one of the greatest recruiters of all time and he always says something along the lines of, "If you give me three years, i'll give you the NFL."

You have to remember that these recruits, above all else, want to get to the NFL. They are just trying to pick the best "ride" to get them there.
USC843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #9
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC843 View Post
I've said this before, and i'll say it again. Its a recruiting tool. You don't want the reputation of begging players to stay (see: Dabo). Nick Saban is one of the greatest recruiters of all time and he always says something along the lines of, "If you give me three years, i'll give you the NFL."

You have to remember that these recruits, above all else, want to get to the NFL. They are just trying to pick the best "ride" to get them there.
Exactly. Which is why it's hard to sit here behind a keyboard and get mad at coaches for letting players leave early. Some players (especially highly rated recruits) come here knowing that they are going to play in the NFL one day. It's hard to sit there and get mad at anyone for a kid chasing their dream.

You're talking money here. It's easy to sit here and say "hey you stay here and you have the chance to get drafted even higher, and you could use to time", but when you've got a clear chance at getting drafted THAT year is the negative risk, really worth it? Sure, selfish fans/coaches think it is. Sometimes the player agrees it is. But a player is going to do what he (keyword there: what HE thinks) thinks is best for him.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #10
GH
Moonocababa

Male

Quote:

I am not saying anyone sucks at convincing players to stay.

My whole point is that sometimes the best recruiting job you can do is recruiting a player to stay another year.

I also say that the player would be asked to take all the risk in coming back versus taking an early exit.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:36 AM   #11
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
I am not saying anyone sucks at convincing players to stay.

My whole point is that sometimes the best recruiting job you can do is recruiting a player to stay another year.

I also say that the player would be asked to take all the risk in coming back versus taking an early exit.
After three years, everyone knows the deal.....coaches and players. Some understand that college is the end of the line, but others struggle to face that reality. As much as coaches try, some just don't want to hear it. Why else do so many leave early and end up either not getting drafted or go in the last couple of rounds. I think most coaches will talk to players honestly about their pro potential. But in the end, it's on the players.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:41 AM   #12
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 97950
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

Quote:
Examples please.

ECook comes to my mind immediately
ShutTheSuccop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:14 AM   #13
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post
ECook comes to my mind immediately
Cap, Cook, and Geathers all could've used their senior year. I'll agree to that. But it's worked out okay for Cap. As for Cook and Geathers...well, not so much. And I don't mean to be negative towards Geathers, but I'm not so sure that we needed him in 2010.

Our defensive line that year was Matthews-Robertson-Ladi-Taylor, with Melvin as our main rotation guy...
Old 12-25-2013, 01:34 AM   #14
Latt7more
Ball so hard...

Male

Latt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPit

Quote:
Cap, Cook, and Geathers all could've used their senior year. I'll agree to that. But it's worked out okay for Cap. As for Cook and Geathers...well, not so much. And I don't mean to be negative towards Geathers, but I'm not so sure that we needed him in 2010.

Our defensive line that year was Matthews-Robertson-Ladi-Taylor, with Melvin as our main rotation guy...
Yea Captain is doing just fine. For those that hoped Ace would've came back just know he would've been suspended for atleast 2 games.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:36 AM   #15
Latt7more
Ball so hard...

Male

Latt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPit

If there's one guy I think should have stayed, it would have to be ECook.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:23 AM   #16
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Gamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latt7more View Post
If there's one guy I think should have stayed, it would have to be ECook.
Tori Gurley
Gamecocks321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #17
vern6
Walk On

Male

vern6 has hatched from the shell

they should not be allowed to enter nfl until they graduate,senior.
vern6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #18
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks321 View Post
Tori Gurley
I agree w/ this as far as his level of play, but Gurley was older already and the window is so small for these guys.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #19
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latt7more View Post
Yea Captain is doing just fine. For those that hoped Ace would've came back just know he would've been suspended for atleast 2 games.
Also: Ace is a starter. He just bought his mom a house for Christmas. Could he have improved his stock? Perhaps. Would he have helped the team? Absolutely, though it's not as though we had a terrible season. (Though we desperately could have used him on ST especially).

Also don't underestimate the impact of seeing Marcus getting hurt on these guys. I appreciate that the OP was honest about why you would want them back, but it's Dabo-esque to tell players what to do w/ their careers and lives.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #20
rioninusc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post
Also: Ace is a starter. He just bought his mom a house for Christmas. Could he have improved his stock? Perhaps. Would he have helped the team? Absolutely, though it's not as though we had a terrible season. (Though we desperately could have used him on ST especially).

Also don't underestimate the impact of seeing Marcus getting hurt on these guys. I appreciate that the OP was honest about why you would want them back, but it's Dabo-esque to tell players what to do w/ their careers and lives.
This, we are fans, and we aren't in these guys shoes. So I will never say someone should come back even if they get drafted in the 3rd and on, even a free agent.

What I think should happen is the players that declare, and don't even make it. They should still be able to come back and play a final year for their team team.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote