CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Cockypantherfan
roosterdude21
F4rpoole
Spur's Addiction
2000grad
Roosterdog
sporkgod50
i29gman
COCKDIESEL
Regalcock
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (1513)
The #AskEmmert Q& (473)
Chico McClatcher- 20 (347)
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!! (197)
Peach Bowl name retu (187)
Construction of Worl (152)
Save Electricity By (136)
Stadium Ratings-Site (108)
HELP calculating acr (101)
How Experienced In P (55)
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
Stadium Ratings-Site rate
2015 - Davon Durant
Victor Hampton Arrested
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM
Amazon Fire TV
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #1
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!

Old 01-03-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
RedneckCPA
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 200
RedneckCPA has developed his gaff and talonsRedneckCPA has developed his gaff and talonsRedneckCPA has developed his gaff and talonsRedneckCPA has developed his gaff and talonsRedneckCPA has developed his gaff and talonsRedneckCPA has developed his gaff and talonsRedneckCPA has developed his gaff and talonsRedneckCPA has developed his gaff and talonsRedneckCPA has developed his gaff and talonsRedneckCPA has developed his gaff and talonsRedneckCPA has developed his gaff and talons
Default Bob Stoops comments

There is a similar thread on fan jealousy. But I saw the below comments from Bob Stoops and wondered what people think.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...-criticism-sec

"When I made the comment, the bottom half of the SEC was like zero-and-36 against the top half of the SEC. You realize that? A year ago…nobody talks about that. My point was, don't say SEC like they're all doing that (beating everyone). One or two or three top teams…sure, you give them the credit. Alabama…I've got the utmost respect for them. Are you kidding me? How could you not? But in the end, don't talk about the entire conference that way. It's just not true.

"Hey, I've got total respect for Alabama, but you can't deny what we did last night. Obviously, we can play with anybody, whether it's the SEC or anyone else. And to say we can't ... well, Alabama's been rolling the SEC for the last three years and we didn't seem to be overwhelmed last night. I'm done with that talk."

Stoops also invoked Missouri and Texas A&M, which have enjoyed success since moving from the Big 12 to the SEC. The Aggies won 11 games last year and knocked off Alabama on the road. This year, Missouri went 11-2 and won the SEC East Division.

"What about Texas A&M and Missouri?" Stoops said. "They've been in the Big 12 for 100 years. ... They don't seem to be overwhelmed in that league. And they haven't been ruling the Big 12 the entire that they were here, right?"

__________________________________________________ _
1. I definitely agree that OK thoroughly outplayed and outcoached Alabama last night. Great game.
2. But who else did OK play this year? In one game, OK beat a(the) top SEC school. But where is their LSU, Auburn, Florida and Georgia. They got blown out by Baylor who just lost convincingly to UCF. They did beat OKSU.
3. That is like Klempson always (before 5 years ago) trying to prove the superiority of the ACC over the SEC because they would beat Carolina. It is a non sequiter. Everyone can get up for one game.
4. The points about aTm and Missouri are hard to argue with. But both programs are playing at abnormally good levels. I don't think aTm ever had Johnny Football when they played in the Big 12. I don't see either being perennial SEC powerhouses like Alabama and probably Auburn are.
5. Top to bottom, by average, by median, by about any measure, the SEC blows any other conference out of the water.
6. On a side note, I think Oklahoma would be a good addition to the SEC. Then we could all officially write Texas off for good.
RedneckCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

CockyCash: 392030
MeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot material
Default Re: Bob Stoops comments

I say let Stoops go ahead & go to the NFL, then we will see what conference he drafts from the most.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:36 PM   #3
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

That guy has a serious beef with the SEC.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
JohnnyB21
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 520
JohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeesterFriendly View Post
I say let Stoops go ahead & go to the NFL, then we will see what conference he drafts from the most.
Probably zero from the sec just to be a d*ck

34-17 29-7 34-13 27-17 31-17

Coming for #6 next season!!!

154-71 in past 5 seasons against Clemson.
JohnnyB21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:48 PM   #5
thekob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Aren't him and Spurrier friends or something? If so, can you imagine the ribbing the OBC must give him? Can't blame him really, especially since everyone knows what he said was plain wrong. If he wants to put his $ where his mouth is, he should schedule SEC opponents more often...heck, how about three mid-tier SEC opponents for an OOC one year? I doubt they escape without at least one L.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
LBC
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 500
LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material

I think he's right and proved what he has been saying last night.

There are a lot of teams from several different conferences that could compete in the SEC and there are a ton of teams far better than the bottom half of the SEC all over the place.

Oklahoma being one of them.
LBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:05 PM   #7
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

He won A GAME against a very unmotivated Alabama team. OK. The impressive thing is when you can beat Bama then beat LSU the next week and then beat Auburn the week after that. It was one game Bob. One game. You deserve a clap.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:14 PM   #8
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
Aren't him and Spurrier friends or something? If so, can you imagine the ribbing the OBC must give him? Can't blame him really, especially since everyone knows what he said was plain wrong. If he wants to put his $ where his mouth is, he should schedule SEC opponents more often...heck, how about three mid-tier SEC opponents for an OOC one year? I doubt they escape without at least one L.
Yes. Stoopsie was his DC at Florida.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #9
Gamerooster
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 26386
Gamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot material

Bottom half of SEC:

Arkansas
Kentucky
Tennessee
Ole Miss
Florida
Miss St
A&M and Vandy tied at 4-4

Bottom half of Big 12
Kansas
Iowa St
TCU
West Virginia
Texas Tech

(based on current league standings)
Old 01-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #10
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC View Post
I think he's right and proved what he has been saying last night.

There are a lot of teams from several different conferences that could compete in the SEC and there are a ton of teams far better than the bottom half of the SEC all over the place.

Oklahoma being one of them.
This is a very fair and objective statement

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:17 PM   #11
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBASEBALL1 View Post
He won A GAME against a very unmotivated Alabama team. OK. The impressive thing is when you can beat Bama then beat LSU the next week and then beat Auburn the week after that. It was one game Bob. One game. You deserve a clap.
He took care of business. If Bama was unmotivated, then that is on Saban. You win when you need to.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:18 PM   #12
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

toiletnet seems to think that he was slamming USC with those comments. You'd have to really read a lot into that to try and pull that out of your arse

Old 01-03-2014, 05:20 PM   #13
Legalman72
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 19477065
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

IMO, it's no biggie. WHo cares what people say about the SEC? The conference will ebb and flow but it will be the best overall conference 9 years out of 10.

Let them talk.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:24 PM   #14
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
He took care of business. If Bama was unmotivated, then that is on Saban. You win when you need to.
OK. Utah beat Bama in a Bowl game just a few years back. So what does that mean? Not sh!t other than they won a Bowl Game. Should we give Okie a trophy from Cockytalk?
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #15
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

The whole "unmotivated" thing just sounds like a silly excuse to me. I think Oklahoma came in with a lot of motivation but I also think Bama was motivated to get the taste of the Auburn loss out of their mouths. Oklahoma just outplayed and outcoached Bama. Some of you have too much conference loyalty.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:01 PM   #16
scfanz
Starter

Male

scfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPit

Stoops is a very good coach he traditionally has a very tough and solid football team, but the man has some serious issues with the SEC. The current 'SEC love' obviously is causing him some serious butt hurt.
scfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:05 PM   #17
boonyg
Recruit

Male

boonyg has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
The whole "unmotivated" thing just sounds like a silly excuse to me. I think Oklahoma came in with a lot of motivation but I also think Bama was motivated to get the taste of the Auburn loss out of their mouths. Oklahoma just outplayed and outcoached Bama. Some of you have too much conference loyalty.
i think the deal is that alabama is a victim of their own success at this point. anything less than playing for the title is a letdown for them and honestly i am not sure they would have even been totally up for that this year had they made it. they have won a lot and that can breed complacency. look at most "dynasty" type franchises across any sport and the players and coaches all say the same thing which is that the challenge is to stay focused and motivated after you win for so long. not giving this as an excuse but i do believe oklahoma wanted that game way more than bama. they feel they had something to prove and they went and did it. bama needs to have something to work for again and they will have it next year. they aren't the champs anymore.
boonyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #18
RLTWGamecock
Walk On

Male

RLTWGamecock has hatched from the shell

I met Bob Stoops over Thanksgiving weekend in New Mexico. Really nice guy. Very respectful of Spurrier and the Gamecocks. Actually what started the conversation was him seeing my visor and saying "Go Cocks" before our Clemson game...

I think what he is tired of, along with other non-SEC folks, is the SEC hype, and I don't blame them to a degree. Have we dominated the NCAA for the past decade, yea, but if you don't beat out of conference teams it is too easy to yell overrated. So be it. Just go out and win like Scar did.
RLTWGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:16 PM   #19
SC Tag
Casual Basketball Viewer

Male

SC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talons

IMO Bowl games mean next to nothing in terms of how good you are as a team. Obviously the National Championship is important, but after that it's just a bunch of lesser known programs clamoring for recognition.

I mean what is really to be gained from a team like Florida, Georgia, Alabama or LSU winning or losing even a BCS game? Exposure? yeah right those teams are already the best of the best.

The only person who loses from a game like this is the head coach, because he could have added a couple million to his paycheck. Point being if Alabama would have opened the season at Oklahoma they would have crushed them.

Also Bob Stoops can suck it.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #20
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBASEBALL1 View Post
OK. Utah beat Bama in a Bowl game just a few years back. So what does that mean? Not sh!t other than they won a Bowl Game. Should we give Okie a trophy from Cockytalk?
What's your point?