CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
GamecockSuperFan
robgusc76
cocks are us
El Cid Ranger
taylorssc
jellafever
johnnyb
GarnetSwarm1990
Cockhornleghorn
BLACK OUT!!!!!!! (1839)
Jimbo Fisher Blames (922)
Herbstreit on " (777)
Ole Miss Fan's Milk- (762)
SEC QB's in the Red (742)
Little know stat (We (690)
2013 Georgia vs. 201 (628)
Gamecockology Helms (600)
Happy Birthday Marcu (434)
Gif Sharing Time!!!! (357)
Gamecockology Helms
Anyone have a recipe I ca
Where do you like to sit
COCKYTALK GOLF OUTING
We're going to the NCAA T
Sports no longer fun?
Little know stat (Week 10
Ole Miss Fan's Milk-Smash
How do you want Auburn to
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --

Old 01-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
jonick
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
jonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudly
Default New Offense?

With the assumption of DT as QB and this question may have already been answered somewhere...
Do we change what Shaw brought to the offense or do we go to a pro-style with 2 in the backfield..this kind of thing..if ya'll follow...
jonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Re: New Offense?

Just YouTube the games that Dylan has either started or had series in.

The offense doesn't change much. Less read plays, more intermediate and vertical passing.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:10 PM   #3
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Just YouTube the games that Dylan has either started or had series in.

The offense doesn't change much. Less read plays, more intermediate and vertical passing.
This. If we were to move to a more traditional 2 back power type Offense we would be going backwards in today's college football.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #4
jonick
4-Star

Male

jonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudly

Concerned about how we utilize the run game..does DT's strong points add or take away from it...or does his weaknesses rely on it more..thus the extra blocker in the backfield..ie. fullback role...
jonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:30 PM   #5
thekob
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

It'll be interesting to see how P Cooper is involved...more or less wild cat?
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:37 PM   #6
Carolina-Beez
Two Deep

Male

Carolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
This. If we were to move to a more traditional 2 back power type Offense we would be going backwards in today's college football.
Just read the final AP top 25. Who runs anything close to a traditional 2 back power offense? Bama, Stanford, LSU. A few others. Not many.

Is our offensive line, even with 4 returning starters, at the level of those lines?

I have my doubts.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:53 PM   #7
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Yep.
Same offense, less zone read.
More passing, which should open the box for Davis and Co. to get some running room.

I say, watch the Clemson game where he started...that will probably be the type play-callling we see with DT at QB.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #8
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina-Beez View Post
Just read the final AP top 25. Who runs anything close to a traditional 2 back power offense? Bama, Stanford, LSU. A few others. Not many.

Is our offensive line, even with 4 returning starters, at the level of those lines?

I have my doubts.
I'll say it now...NO.
Bama, Stanford, LSU and Wisconsin are lines that MOVE THE LINE and dominate.

OUr line is good, but it isn't on the level of those programs (and not many are).
Two-time National Champs

Old 01-07-2014, 03:55 PM   #9
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina-Beez View Post

I have my doubts.
Exactly! It is the past. And the only reason Bama and LSU can get away with it is because the quality of recruits and especially the dominant OLs they have had.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:55 PM   #10
wincocks84
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 450
wincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervous

I think we start to see a more Spurrier type offense with wildcat and some read mixed in.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:55 PM   #11
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonick View Post
Concerned about how we utilize the run game..does DT's strong points add or take away from it...or does his weaknesses rely on it more..thus the extra blocker in the backfield..ie. fullback role...
In a way, I think he can add to it by taking away (yes, confusing I know).

I do think that as the season went on teams starting stacking the box, allowing less room for Davis (and he was hurt).
With Dylan, we may pass it more, but I think it will open up the box and have just 7 guys instead of 8 or 9 in the box, allowing more room for Davis and Co. to run.

So they will have less carries, but I think they will get more yards per carry.
Two-time National Champs

Old 01-07-2014, 03:56 PM   #12
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincocks84 View Post
I think we start to see a more Spurrier type offense with wildcat and some read mixed in.
With Pharoh here I expect to Wildcat to still be in place...maybe 8-10 plays a game just to give the opposing D something else to look at and have to prepare for.

Plus, with is throwing ability, that addes another dimension to that scheme.
Two-time National Champs

Old 01-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #13
uscGRAD04
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 833
uscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot material

Only 8 months away boys!! Turn up

Edit: Sorry, just being silly. I was kinda worried about losing the running threat of Connor Shaw until someone mentioned sprinkling in wildcat with Ph Cooper. Gonna be exciting.

Last edited by uscGRAD04; 01-07-2014 at 04:12 PM.
uscGRAD04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #14
Carolina-Beez
Two Deep

Male

Carolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
In a way, I think he can add to it by taking away (yes, confusing I know).

I do think that as the season went on teams starting stacking the box, allowing less room for Davis (and he was hurt).
With Dylan, we may pass it more, but I think it will open up the box and have just 7 guys instead of 8 or 9 in the box, allowing more room for Davis and Co. to run.

So they will have less carries, but I think they will get more yards per carry.
By the same token, D coordinators were terrified of playing man-to-man and having defenders turn their backs to Connor. That won't be the case next season. Expect more man-to-man and more blitzing by opponents. Roland and Byrd can expect cornerbacks to get physical with them next season. It would be nice if Shamir could get it together. We need a big, physical wr to emerge.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:42 PM   #15
gamecockguy
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1300
gamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talons

Nosovitch starts so the offense remains the same
gamecockguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #16
jayceecock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 573
jayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPit

Dylan has some big shoes to fill. Shaw had a great year, 700 rushing and 2400 passing. Dylan won't rush for 700, but he is more than capable of throwing the ball.

Really excited about what we have coming back on offense. OL is intact, a stable of tested RBs, and a good core of wideouts.

I don't think we are maximizing our offense if we continue to run the inside zone read. I believe we need to run the edge, spread the defenses and employ a vertical game.

The key is our TEs. We have the best TEs in the SEC. I don't think we fully utilized them. Only 2 TDs last year. 30 catches, 400 yds between Jerrell and Rory.

We need to incorporate a shift motion game with our TEs. This will give them the best opportunity to execute run block or pass route.

TE shift motion advantages:

Puts the TE in favorable match ups

More effective to dominate the edge (jet sweep, toss sweep)

Puts pressure on LBs creating vertical pass look instead of staying home for run game.

Puts TE in better position for crossing routes, mesh, digs, flat and out routes.

Utilizing the TE in the passing game will greatly compliment the running game.

Imagine KC Crosby in this offense.
jayceecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:50 PM   #17
superfly
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 900
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockguy View Post
Nosovitch starts so the offense remains the same
I agree with your assessment although you will get an argument from others. I say Nosovith starts and Mitch will be the backup.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:21 PM   #18
Garnet girl
1st Team All-SEC

Female

CockyCash: 500500
Garnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot material

I think we see all three QBs. Whoever Spurrier chooses is OK by me. Steve literally turned Connor into a QB who could run and pass. His improvement was due to being very coachable.
Garnet girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #19
cockybreeyan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
With Pharoh here I expect to Wildcat to still be in place...maybe 8-10 plays a game just to give the opposing D something else to look at and have to prepare for.

Plus, with is throwing ability, that addes another dimension to that scheme.
I would love to see Pharaoh get 8 plays out of the wildcat every game
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:16 PM   #20
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
It'll be interesting to see how P Cooper is involved...more or less wild cat?
He's going to be our Bruce Ellington 2.0.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote