CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Acockolypse Now
Spurticus
MEL
auslander
The Yancey
sanford
MWard
ccured
WeStillOwnUSC
Texags (1635)
Stephen Garcia AMA o (1629)
ESPN Car wash Spurri (1283)
Ace suspended 4 game (1267)
Holy Hell, Indeed, S (1023)
COMCAST TO CARRY SEC (997)
Dawg DL man arrested (974)
Top 10 Reasons Why T (933)
Comporium (736)
2014-2015 Men's Non (338)
Ace suspended 4 games
Top 10 Reasons Why Texas
Texags
Stephen Garcia AMA on Red
Name a Gamecock
Good Article for those co
Dawg DL man arrested for
ESPN Car wash Spurrier
Holy Hell, Indeed, SEC Ne
Green and Lammons

Old 01-23-2014, 03:17 AM   #1
Gamecock_Aholic
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot material
Default Vince Young files for bankruptcy

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...les-bankruptcy
Gamecock_Aholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #2
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Vince Young files for bankruptcy

Part of me feel bad but the other part of me is tired of this stuff. How long until these athletes stop doing this? The culture in pro sports needs to change and people need to learn how to save money. Agents should start getting contracts written in a way that sets money aside into a savings so it can be used as futures payments and not removed until 20 years after the fact. I know the athletes would hate it but something needs to be done for these guys.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
Sir Cuss
Blue Chip

Female

CockyCash: 500
Sir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot material

An agent's job is to get them the money, not save it for them.

What do you think would happen if an agent told a 23 year-old athlete who never had money that he was going to give the athlete $1 million of his $5 million earned that year and "put away the rest." The athlete would think he was getting screwed.

Sir Cuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:36 AM   #4
cockinraleigh
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 98700
cockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
Part of me feel bad but the other part of me is tired of this stuff. How long until these athletes stop doing this? The culture in pro sports needs to change and people need to learn how to save money. Agents should start getting contracts written in a way that sets money aside into a savings so it can be used as futures payments and not removed until 20 years after the fact. I know the athletes would hate it but something needs to be done for these guys.
He's an adult. It's not the agents fault.
cockinraleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:58 AM   #5
WayzUp
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1200
WayzUp rules the CockPitWayzUp rules the CockPitWayzUp rules the CockPitWayzUp rules the CockPitWayzUp rules the CockPitWayzUp rules the CockPitWayzUp rules the CockPitWayzUp rules the CockPitWayzUp rules the CockPitWayzUp rules the CockPitWayzUp rules the CockPit
Send a message via Yahoo to WayzUp

Another example of you can't fix stupid.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #6
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 675600
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

He scored a 6 on his Wonderlic. Should have been a warning.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:00 AM   #7
Sir Cuss
Blue Chip

Female

Sir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot material

I'll trade you these TEN one dollar bills for that ONE twenty dollar bill you have.

Sir Cuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:50 AM   #8
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockinraleigh View Post
He's an adult. It's not the agents fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Cuss View Post
An agent's job is to get them the money, not save it for them.

What do you think would happen if an agent told a 23 year-old athlete who never had money that he was going to give the athlete $1 million of his $5 million earned that year and "put away the rest." The athlete would think he was getting screwed.
I get the system and the agents job but I'm just saying, about the only way to reduce this problem is the way contracts are structured. May he it would take the pro sport leagues changing the style but just pointing out we will continue to hear these stories more and more, which is sad.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:07 AM   #9
Gamecock_Aholic
Banned

Male

Gamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot material

Quote:
It's very hard to feel sorry for him. Making that much money, it shouldn't be an issue to save enough to live on.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #10
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock_Aholic View Post
It's very hard to feel sorry for him. Making that much money, it shouldn't be an issue to save enough to live on.
It is a huge culture problem. Athletes want to live like the movie stars and singers they see, but what they don't realize is that those people are going to make money until they are dead off their work, whereas sports is a 3-15 year window to make money. This is also why I say that paying athletes in college won't make a difference, because they will just waste it and always want more. There needs to be a change somewhere to help reduce this stuff. The leagues do clinics but it seems that the statistics have only risen since this started.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #11
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 155567
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

Quote:
For example: Allen Iverson has like a 30 million dollar trust fund from Reebok that he can access when he is 55
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #12
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post
For example: Allen Iverson has like a 30 million dollar trust fund from Reebok that he can access when he is 55
Exactly. If you want, structure it so he can have the interest off of the 30 million each year, but keep a large portion stored away.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:13 PM   #13
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 675600
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Read a little more about Vince and the dude was an idiot with his money. Pissed it away left and right like he would always have an endless supply. So it's hard to feel sorry for him.

Bet Charlie Strong gives him a position on his coaching staff.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:14 PM   #14
Rooster'srule
4-Star

Male

Rooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his comb

Quote:
I get the system and the agents job but I'm just saying, about the only way to reduce this problem is the way contracts are structured. May he it would take the pro sport leagues changing the style but just pointing out we will continue to hear these stories more and more, which is sad.
There is a flaw in your thinking. These stories will continue no matter what you do. It not sad it is just life.
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:16 PM   #15
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Terrible. Just plain dumb you get that much $ and lose it all. No sympathy whatsoever from me.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:17 PM   #16
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Pretty sure the NFL now puts on a required financial seminar for all the new rookies coming in.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #17
Gamecock_Aholic
Banned

Male

his mental bills probably didn't help either.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #18
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

0 sympathy. The Players Union has a full seminar for these guys on how to manage their money.

He didn't.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:06 PM   #19
Gamecocks1137
Bowl MVP

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

I saw this yesterday, honestly I don't care. If I could get paid millions of dollars to play the game I love, I could save money. Instead I have to work for a living making substantially less than what he earned and I still have money, because I save it.

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:39 PM   #20
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

This isn't just a sports problem. It's wasteful spending and it happens all over the world. Do you know what causes it? Being stupid AF. So, unless the entire world starts genetically modifying all human beings to not be stupid AF, there are always going to be people who can't manage money. Young can get himself a job as a fry cook at McDonalds, where the rest of the stupid AF people work, so the other stupid AF people have low quality, cheap, unhealthy food to eat to make sure that they live just long enough to produce 20 other stupid AF children before they die at a young age from being stupid AF.

Atleast he stimulated the economy and probably paid a few strippers' way through school. Kudos, Vince.