CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
eaglegolf018
Coulwoodwarlord
ReadR00ster
HelleraisingCock
MWard
SAETerrier
Acockolypse Now
CoverTwo
ertman420
sc455
Larenz Bryant update (2002)
Victor Hampton Arres (1202)
Joeckel Transfering (1178)
2016 - Greg Little (816)
UK's Whitlow to tran (736)
What type of snake i (667)
response from charte (606)
Wu Tang affiliated r (517)
Attendance next seas (301)
how has more ESPN an (223)
2015 Warm/Warmer/Favorite
Joeckel Transfering from
how has more ESPN anounce
Gamecock Legacy recruits/
Victor Hampton Arrested
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
A'ja Wilson
Larenz Bryant update?
2016 - Greg Little
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM

Old 02-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #1
nicstockman
Allway’s wright

Male

CockyCash: 30812298
nicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot material
Default Jimmy Fallon hosting the tonight show.

Personally, I like/liked Jay as a person. He may not have always had the funniest jokes but he just seems like a guy that worked hard and didn't get caught up in the Hollywood crap too much.

That being said, Fallon is going to knock this show out of the park. I really think he'll bring it back to more a 'Carson' type of show, which I'm pumped about. Can't wait to watch Fallon take over as the host.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:22 AM   #2
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

CockyCash: 500
davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Jimmy Fallon hosting the tonight show.

I didn't like how the whole Conan thing went down, but I always enjoyed Leno's show.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:31 AM   #3
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

Can't wait. I've loved Fallon since SNL. I also like Conan and hate the way all that went down. Leno is not funny to me at all. I hope people realize that Fallon is going to be different and don't just criticize him because he's not Leno. I think it's going to be great, he makes me laugh all the time and I can't wait to see him at a earlier time slot so I can actually stay up for it, haha

I'm excited to see how Seth Meyers does in Fallon's slot too.
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:51 AM   #4
LBC
2nd Team All-American

Male

LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material

Fallon's current show is head and shoulders above all of the rest. Fallon is a superstar and possibly one of the most likeable personalities of all time. He is going to kill it. I also love that they are bringing it back to NYC instead of the nothingness that is Burbank, CA.

I also have to say I found/find Jay Leno nearly unwatchable. I haven't heard him tell a reasonably funny joke in a decade or more and found his style of interviewing almost...embarrassing...at times. I guess he is a nice enough guy but his status and appeal remains a mystery to me.

And none of that has anything to do with what happened to Conan and how he handled that entire fiasco.
LBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #5
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

I agree with a lot of what was said above.

Jimmy is one of the most likable folks in showbiz. His show is very funny and I think he'll do a good job as long as NBC doesn't mess with his comedy POV and structure of the show to appease an earlier audience which is more accustomed to jay's hackie schtick.

In addition to nice guy Fallon getting the 11:30 spot, Seth Meyer will be moving into the 12:30 spot. Seth has done a great job on the Weekend Update for SNL and I hope that his success continues on late night.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:49 PM   #6
nicstockman
Allway’s wright

Male

nicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC View Post
Fallon's current show is head and shoulders above all of the rest. Fallon is a superstar and possibly one of the most likeable personalities of all time. He is going to kill it. I also love that they are bringing it back to NYC instead of the nothingness that is Burbank, CA.

I also have to say I found/find Jay Leno nearly unwatchable. I haven't heard him tell a reasonably funny joke in a decade or more and found his style of interviewing almost...embarrassing...at times. I guess he is a nice enough guy but his status and appeal remains a mystery to me.

And none of that has anything to do with what happened to Conan and how he handled that entire fiasco.

Don't they all have writers that help come up with these jokes? I agree that his monologue's haven't been overwhelmingly funny, but I don't think the blame for that all falls on Jay himself. Jay's stand-up as also seen some up's and downs but he's definitely had some funny stuff several years ago.

You have keep in mind too that comedy has changed VASTLY since Jay first started on The Tonight Show.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:56 PM   #7
Gamecocks1137
Game MVP

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

I am glad to see Jimmy Fallon given the opportunity that he deserves. He is one funny guy, and is really changing the way late night shows are done, and for the better. Not completely going there, but he reminds me a tad bit of Johnny Carson. Just personality wise. No where near the stature, but who knows, one day. I am glad to see Seth Meyers getting his shot too. Watched his last SNL Weekend Update, and Cecily Strong just about burst into tears. He is going to do very well.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:06 PM   #8
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicstockman View Post
Don't they all have writers that help come up with these jokes? I agree that his monologue's haven't been overwhelmingly funny, but I don't think the blame for that all falls on Jay himself. Jay's stand-up as also seen some up's and downs but he's definitely had some funny stuff several years ago.

You have keep in mind too that comedy has changed VASTLY since Jay first started on The Tonight Show.
Yes, they do all have writers and they are partially to blame too. But Jimmy and Conan come from SNL (Conan was a writer there) and have studied improv and I think it shows. They are able to think more quickly on their feet and get more laughs with off the cuff stuff. Then combined with written jokes puts them way above Leno in my mind. And I expect more of the same from Seth coming from SNL as well.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #9
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

I hope Jimmy keeps his fun, laid back style show and NBC doesn't try to change too much like they did with Conan. I think NBC knows they have a winner here and not to mess with it. I love the games with guests and social media integration the show uses. It might take a while for the older crowd to get used to that in that earlier time slot, but I think it's going to work perfectly.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:14 PM   #10
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktguen View Post
I hope Jimmy keeps his fun, laid back style show and NBC doesn't try to change too much like they did with Conan. I think NBC knows they have a winner here and not to mess with it. I love the games with guests and social media integration the show uses. It might take a while for the older crowd to get used to that in that earlier time slot, but I think it's going to work perfectly.
I think that having Lorne Michaels as the producer will keep NBC off their ass and give Jimmy the freedom he needs to do his thing.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:16 PM   #11
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114893542
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

I think jimmy kimmel is funnier than Fallon but to each his own.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:16 PM   #12
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
I think that having Lorne Michaels as the producer will keep NBC off their ass and give Jimmy the freedom he needs to do his thing.
I agree. Lorne will be producing Fallon, Meyers, SNL and 30 Rock. Busy dude.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:12 PM   #13
usc52
Workaholic

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc52 has developed his gaff and talonsusc52 has developed his gaff and talonsusc52 has developed his gaff and talonsusc52 has developed his gaff and talonsusc52 has developed his gaff and talonsusc52 has developed his gaff and talonsusc52 has developed his gaff and talonsusc52 has developed his gaff and talonsusc52 has developed his gaff and talonsusc52 has developed his gaff and talonsusc52 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via AIM to usc52

Love the thank you notes each Friday!
usc52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:12 PM   #14
nicstockman
Allway’s wright

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
I am glad to see Jimmy Fallon given the opportunity that he deserves. He is one funny guy, and is really changing the way late night shows are done, and for the better. Not completely going there, but he reminds me a tad bit of Johnny Carson. Just personality wise. No where near the stature, but who knows, one day. I am glad to see Seth Meyers getting his shot too. Watched his last SNL Weekend Update, and Cecily Strong just about burst into tears. He is going to do very well.

I agree completely. As I mentioned earlier, I think Fallon will bring more of 'Carson' like feel to the show. Making it more 'sketch' comedy if you will.

You may remember that Leno was once like that as well:

Old 02-06-2014, 04:57 PM   #15
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

Letterman nailed it

Old 02-06-2014, 05:44 PM   #16
Gamecocks1137
Game MVP

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

My favorite SNL skit with Jimmy Fallon, of course then there is Will Ferrell's genius.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #17
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

I remember when Fallon started his late night show and was terrible the first month or so. For understandable reasons. He's pretty good now. I like Leno too but Conan might be my favorite.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:42 PM   #18
raptorcox
Insert Witty Custom Title

Male

raptorcox is learning to peck
Send a message via Yahoo to raptorcox

Hope he is cool with the possibility of being courted by Lifetime if Leno tries screwing yet another hopeful

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

raptorcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:49 PM   #19
Gamecocks1137
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorcox View Post
Hope he is cool with the possibility of being courted by Lifetime if Leno tries screwing yet another hopeful

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
Conan was screwed, but Fallon is basically untouchable at this point by Leno in anyway. Michaels runs the show now. Not going to happen.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:45 PM   #20
eatlighting
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

eatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot material

Not a big Leno fan, but I'm not a huge late night tv fan either.

The funniest aspect of this whole thing is that it is another case of Internet culture clashing with staples of the late 20th century.

If you fire up the old Googler, you'll find page after page of people bemoaning "the train wreck" that is a Leno monologue and how he screwed Conan and hundreds of other things that make you say, "Man, how did that guy survive all these years?"

Well, the reality is that Leno has led the ratings for 17 seasons... 17 seasons.

How can a guy be that "lame" and "out of touch" and be on top? Surely, there are millions of people who just hate themselves so much that they'd submit to his torturous musings about politics and celebs.

Well, actually, no. That's not the case. The man still remains popular with key demographics for that time slot, and he's also got the familiar face quality. Shows like that rely less on shocking plot twists and interesting new characters and more on tradition, repetition, and familiarity.

So, the long and short of it is that perception does not necessarily equate to reality, and Internet culture, which strongly embraces Fallon, will not necessarily be as loyal in terms of viewership as the older folks who have supported Jay. People who are ingrained in Internet culture do not adhere to routine and repetition in the same way as older generations.

"Why tune in when I can just catch the funny stuff on YouTube? If anything noteworthy happens, my friends will post it on twitter."

Your parents and grandparents are probably not like that, but they are the ones who have been loyal to Jay in terms of watching the show. It will be interesting to see if Jimmy embraces those people or turns them away in search of new, younger viewers.

If he tells gramps to get lost, he may lose a lot of loyal viewership. If he takes grandpa in, his younger supporters may be turned off. He really has a tall order ahead of him.

I think it will be interesting to see what will happen with this switch. It may just take some time to catch on, but who knows?

I hope Fallon does well.
eatlighting is offline   Reply With Quote