CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
robgusc76
B-G
Big Spur
SMOTFS86
kingofnerf
rabid cock
doubledribble
Sandstorm29
The Yancey
**USC vs. Coker GAME (3113)
2014 Subway Classic: (1464)
aTm demolishes Kyle (681)
Cocky at the Duck Co (654)
Ali Hospitalized Wit (554)
Really, REALLY glad (458)
Deer Hunting 2014 (343)
movers, furniture do (279)
Happy Winter Solstic (247)
Streaming nfl games (235)
**USC vs. Coker GAME Thre
official UFC thread. (new
Connor to be backup?
Props to Eric Hyman. Than
Ali Hospitalized With Pne
2014 Subway Classic:**USC
QB Next Season?
Question for those who ha
Really, REALLY glad he's
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBALL PL

Old 02-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #1
Jim Lahey
I'm on the white liqour

Male

CockyCash: 1000700
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material
Default Discussion: Enrolling early

Was just curious. I've noticed a lot of teams have about 4-6 guys committed for 2014, already enrolled. Clemson has a handful and Tenn also had quite a few. I know we had Lamin enroll early, but is that something our coaches dont push for? Or was this just a year where we didn't have guys who could enroll early? Would have loved to have had a couple db's enroll in Jan.

Lim Jahey! Pleased to meet you, bud!
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Enrollling early

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
Was just curious. I've noticed a lot of teams have about 4-6 guys committed for 2014, already enrolled. Clemson has a handful and Tenn also had quite a few. I know we had Lamin enroll early, but is that something our coaches dont push for? Or was this just a year where we didn't have guys who could enroll early? Would have loved to have had a couple db's enroll in Jan.
We had 14 which is just insane.

It is something that is starting to become very popular the past 2 years. I bet you see your coaches start pushing for it as much as possible.
Ericvol2096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #3
Jim Lahey
I'm on the white liqour

Male

Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material
Default Re: Enrollling early

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericvol2096 View Post
We had 14 which is just insane.

It is something that is starting to become very popular the past 2 years. I bet you see your coaches start pushing for it as much as possible.

Yeah that is crazy and I hope you're right.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #4
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material
Default Re: Enrolling early

We've done it before (did it with Garcia).
I think our coaches encourage JUCO and prep school guys to do it, but I think they want our HS seniors to experience their entire SR year.

I think Connor Mitch also enrolled early.

I also think it is typically QBs that do that...no reason for a HS SR Olinemen to enroll early since the will probably RS anyway...same with defensive guys.
Mostly for guys that are a lock to play day 1, and I don't think this class has any day 1 locks...a lot of guys that will compete for playing time, but I think most of this class is going to RS.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:30 PM   #5
Gamecockfanatic4
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4567500
Gamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gamecockfanatic4

just depends on which recruits are academically able to graduate early some high schools don't allow it to start with.

Gamecockfanatic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:46 PM   #6
b381l
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000052205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

of course one of the reasons for EE is so they can go through spring practice especially for JUCO.....the other reason is that it allows a school to count them back to the previous year and therefore take a larger class the next next, which is what UT has done.....but those players still count against the hard cap of 85, and having an unusually large class one year creates problems down the road because that will force them to reduce their classes in the future. So if they're wrong on a bunch of this year's class, it going to kill them down the road.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #7
Jim Lahey
I'm on the white liqour

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
We've done it before (did it with Garcia).
I think our coaches encourage JUCO and prep school guys to do it, but I think they want our HS seniors to experience their entire SR year.

I think Connor Mitch also enrolled early.

I also think it is typically QBs that do that...no reason for a HS SR Olinemen to enroll early since the will probably RS anyway...same with defensive guys.
Mostly for guys that are a lock to play day 1, and I don't think this class has any day 1 locks...a lot of guys that will compete for playing time, but I think most of this class is going to RS.

I see what you're saying, but I think it's always a positive thing to get guys in as early as possible. That way they are already practicing with the team, learning the system and working out with the strength coaches. I just saw Bama had 8 guys enroll early. Seems like a big advantage to get these guys in asap.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:22 AM   #8
IrishCoach
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
IrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
I see what you're saying, but I think it's always a positive thing to get guys in as early as possible. That way they are already practicing with the team, learning the system and working out with the strength coaches. I just saw Bama had 8 guys enroll early. Seems like a big advantage to get these guys in asap.
It is an advantage, but not every recruit can graduate early. I think we do this as often as we can with recruits we want. We are not just going to take a recruit because early enrollment is an option. From my understanding the counting back of early enrollees to the previous class cannot exceed the 25 LOI limit. Is this not correct? Seems like some teams are going beyond that...

~Dan Gable
IrishCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:02 PM   #9
rioninusc
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000000556
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCoach View Post
It is an advantage, but not every recruit can graduate early. I think we do this as often as we can with recruits we want. We are not just going to take a recruit because early enrollment is an option. From my understanding the counting back of early enrollees to the previous class cannot exceed the 25 LOI limit. Is this not correct? Seems like some teams are going beyond that...
I think it's an option to countback. So if USC's whole 2015 class is EE and USC recruited 21 this year -1 EE, than 5 of those signee's for 2015 can be counted back to the 2014 class. So USC could take 30 recruits next year, but as others have said if you do things like this, and you don't have that many seniors or Juniors getting drafted. There will be some years you will have to take a small class, so you don't exceed the 85 player scholarship limits. UT will probably face that problem in a couple of years. Watch for Ut's 2016 class to be small if players don't transfer, or have their scholarship taken away.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
I fully agree with you.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #11
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
It's just not the usual situation. Most recruits need to finish their last semester of highschool before they can qualify for college. Most recruits want to enjoy the rest of their senior year. JUCO guys usually EE which makes me worried about Thomas not being able to qualify by the end of the year. Also, didn't really have any pressing need this year for countbacks since we couldn't really since a huge class this time.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:45 PM   #12
Jim Lahey
I'm on the white liqour

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
It's just not the usual situation. Most recruits need to finish their last semester of highschool before they can qualify for college. Most recruits want to enjoy the rest of their senior year. JUCO guys usually EE which makes me worried about Thomas not being able to qualify by the end of the year. Also, didn't really have any pressing need this year for countbacks since we couldn't really since a huge class this time.

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath for Thomas. But really hope he will make it in.