CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
catdaddy66
Thenardier
G&B
b381l
spareparts
sporkgod50
ReadR00ster
GoldenSpur7
Cockypantherfan
usc1
SEC Network "Ta (1586)
Sunday college footb (511)
Ole Miss Projected R (510)
Early Pre-Season wom (498)
So who was the dude (488)
Kentucky Inmate Star (462)
Acock reviews the SE (457)
Get the SEC Network (433)
Tennessee hires Donn (426)
2001 vs Sandstorm (324)
2015 - Nyheim Hines
2001 vs Sandstorm
Ole Miss Projected RT Sta
Kelcy and Vic questioned
Softball tops Georgia Sou
Does anyone have a link t
**USC vs. Davidson GAME T
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
SEC Network "Take It
Name a Gamecock

Old 02-17-2014, 01:01 PM   #1
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 675600
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad
Default Snake Handling Preacher Dies After Getting Bit, Refusing Treatment

I'm pretty sure God would be okay with you seeking medical treatment....

(Source) A snake-handling TV preacher died on Saturday of a snake bite. Pastor Jamie Coots, the star of “Snake Salvation,” was bitten on the right hand at his Kentucky church, Middlesborough police said. The Pentecostal holy man refused to go to the hospital or accept any medical treatment, police said. Coots, whose show appeared on National Geographic’s television channel, believed snake handling was a commandment from God and a viper’s bite was God’s will. “When I first started church I said if I ever went to a hospital or a doctor over a snake bite I would quit church,” Coots said in one episode.

He had previously survived a bite that cost him most of the middle finger on his right hand. Instead seeking medical attention for the gruesome injury, he let it rot to black, exposing a quarter inch of bone before it broke off.He kept the stub of the finger in a glass jar for his wife. “To me it’s as much of a commandment from God when he said, ‘they shall take up serpents’ as it was when he ‘thou shall not commit adultery,” Coots said on the show of snake handling.

Coots was just as resolute on Saturday, according to police. Cops and medical crews were called about 8:30 p.m. to a church for reports of a snakebite victim, but Coots had already left, police said. They later found Coots at home and tried to talk him into medical treatment, but he wouldn’t accept it. The crews finally left about 9:10 p.m. They returned about an hour later with the Bell County deputy coroner and found Coots dead. Snake handling has been outlawed in most states, and Coots had made it his mission to carry on the tradition.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:03 PM   #2
SwampFox
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 500
SwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot material
Default Re: Snake Handling Preacher Dies After Getting Bit, Refusing Treatment

See what happens to those who put the Lord to the test?

Scotland Forever

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...eum/index.html
SwampFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:04 PM   #3
Sir Cuss
Blue Chip

Female

Sir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot material

Sir Cuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:15 PM   #4
bigdog2003
Future Coaching Legend

Male

CockyCash: 999762
bigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot material

Big discussion in the reptile community about this guy way before this happened. He was big into illegally transporting snakes across state lines, and has been to some of the reptile shows in SC before trying to buy snakes. Most wouldn't sell to him due to what he was doing with them, so he would go out with his son and friends and catch snakes. Then they wouldn't feed the snakes or give them proper amounts of water and care. This caused the snakes stress, then even more stress from handling them, then finally the snakes would die of starvation. I know I shouldn't say it, but I'm not sorry to see him go. He gave snake keepers a bad name, and treated wonderful creatures like toys.

bigdog2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:23 PM   #5
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Guess he didn't have enough faith.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:31 PM   #6
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

Gaichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #7
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog2003 View Post
Big discussion in the reptile community about this guy way before this happened. He was big into illegally transporting snakes across state lines, and has been to some of the reptile shows in SC before trying to buy snakes. Most wouldn't sell to him due to what he was doing with them, so he would go out with his son and friends and catch snakes. Then they wouldn't feed the snakes or give them proper amounts of water and care. This caused the snakes stress, then even more stress from handling them, then finally the snakes would die of starvation. I know I shouldn't say it, but I'm not sorry to see him go. He gave snake keepers a bad name, and treated wonderful creatures like toys.

And he did all this so he could
MAKE MONEY FROM THE NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC CHANNEL

Lesson:

Psalm 119:36
Turn my heart toward your statutes and not toward selfish gain.
Proverbs 15:27
A greedy man brings trouble to his family, but he who hates bribes will live.
Proverbs 18:1
An unfriendly man pursues selfish ends; he defies all sound judgment.
Proverbs 23:6
Do not eat the food of a stingy man, do not crave his delicacies;
Proverbs 28:22
A stingy man is eager to get rich and is unaware that poverty awaits him.
Proverbs 28:25
A greedy man stirs up dissension, but he who trusts in the LORD will prosper.
Proverbs 29:4
By justice a king gives a country stability, but one who is greedy for bribes tears it down.
Isaiah 57:17
I was enraged by his sinful greed; I punished him, and hid my face in anger, yet he kept on in his willful ways.
Jeremiah 6:13
"From the least to the greatest, all are greedy for gain; prophets and priests alike, all practice deceit.
Jeremiah 8:10
Therefore I will give their wives to other men and their fields to new owners. From the least to the greatest, all are greedy for gain; prophets and priests alike, all practice deceit.
Ezekiel 16:27
So I stretched out my hand against you and reduced your territory; I gave you over to the greed of your enemies, the daughters of the Philistines, who were shocked by your lewd conduct.
Ezekiel 33:31
My people come to you, as they usually do, and sit before you to listen to your words, but they do not put them into practice. With their mouths they express devotion, but their hearts are greedy for unjust gain.
Matthew 23:25
"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence.
Mark 7:21-23
21For from within, out of men's hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, 22greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. 23All these evils come from inside and make a man 'unclean.' "
Mark 8:36
What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?
Luke 11:39
Then the Lord said to him, "Now then, you Pharisees clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside you are full of greed and wickedness.
Luke 12:15
Then he said to them, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."
Romans 1:29
They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips,
1 Corinthians 5:10
not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world.
1 Corinthians 5:11
But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.
1 Corinthians 6:10
nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
Ephesians 5:3
But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people.
Ephesians 5:5
For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person-such a man is an idolater-has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.
Colossians 3:5
Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry.
1 Thessalonians 2:5
You know we never used flattery, nor did we put on a mask to cover up greed-God is our witness.
James 3:14-16
14But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. 15Such "wisdom" does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, of the devil. 16For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.
1 Peter 5:2
Be shepherds of God's flock that is under your care, serving as overseers-not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not greedy for money, but eager to serve;
2 Peter 2:3
In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.
2 Peter 2:14
With eyes full of adultery, they never stop sinning; they seduce the unstable; they are experts in greed-an accursed brood!
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:35 PM   #8
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Wierd people do wierd stuff....some in the name of God.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:09 PM   #9
bigdog2003
Future Coaching Legend

Male

bigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
And he did all this so he could
MAKE MONEY FROM THE NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC CHANNEL

Lesson:

Psalm 119:36
Turn my heart toward your statutes and not toward selfish gain.
Proverbs 15:27
A greedy man brings trouble to his family, but he who hates bribes will live.
Proverbs 18:1
An unfriendly man pursues selfish ends; he defies all sound judgment.
Proverbs 23:6
Do not eat the food of a stingy man, do not crave his delicacies;
Proverbs 28:22
A stingy man is eager to get rich and is unaware that poverty awaits him.
Proverbs 28:25
A greedy man stirs up dissension, but he who trusts in the LORD will prosper.
Proverbs 29:4
By justice a king gives a country stability, but one who is greedy for bribes tears it down.
Isaiah 57:17
I was enraged by his sinful greed; I punished him, and hid my face in anger, yet he kept on in his willful ways.
Jeremiah 6:13
"From the least to the greatest, all are greedy for gain; prophets and priests alike, all practice deceit.
Jeremiah 8:10
Therefore I will give their wives to other men and their fields to new owners. From the least to the greatest, all are greedy for gain; prophets and priests alike, all practice deceit.
Ezekiel 16:27
So I stretched out my hand against you and reduced your territory; I gave you over to the greed of your enemies, the daughters of the Philistines, who were shocked by your lewd conduct.
Ezekiel 33:31
My people come to you, as they usually do, and sit before you to listen to your words, but they do not put them into practice. With their mouths they express devotion, but their hearts are greedy for unjust gain.
Matthew 23:25
"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence.
Mark 7:21-23
21For from within, out of men's hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, 22greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. 23All these evils come from inside and make a man 'unclean.' "
Mark 8:36
What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?
Luke 11:39
Then the Lord said to him, "Now then, you Pharisees clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside you are full of greed and wickedness.
Luke 12:15
Then he said to them, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."
Romans 1:29
They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips,
1 Corinthians 5:10
not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world.
1 Corinthians 5:11
But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.
1 Corinthians 6:10
nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
Ephesians 5:3
But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people.
Ephesians 5:5
For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person-such a man is an idolater-has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.
Colossians 3:5
Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry.
1 Thessalonians 2:5
You know we never used flattery, nor did we put on a mask to cover up greed-God is our witness.
James 3:14-16
14But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. 15Such "wisdom" does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, of the devil. 16For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.
1 Peter 5:2
Be shepherds of God's flock that is under your care, serving as overseers-not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not greedy for money, but eager to serve;
2 Peter 2:3
In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.
2 Peter 2:14
With eyes full of adultery, they never stop sinning; they seduce the unstable; they are experts in greed-an accursed brood!
His church had been in his family long before the TV show started. His father was a snake handling preacher. A member of their church was bitten and killed in 1995 by a rattlesnake during a service.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:24 PM   #10
Gamecocks1137
Game MVP

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

This "Pastor" sounds like an idiot. Point was proven by him. Rule number one, do not handle poisonous snakes for the enjoyment of others in the name of God. Rule number two, if bitten, get medical help.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:26 PM   #11
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Those folks are Freakshows
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:32 PM   #12
bigdog2003
Future Coaching Legend

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
This "Pastor" sounds like an idiot. Point was proven by him. Rule number one, do not handle poisonous snakes for the enjoyment of others in the name of God. Rule number two, if bitten, get medical help.
His son got bitten by a Cottonmouth while they were catching snakes, didn't get medical help. His arm was so swollen it looked like it was going to explode. He almost died. Sooner or later a person with any common sense would stop doing it.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:35 PM   #13
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Quote:
His church had been in his family long before the TV show started. His father was a snake handling preacher. A member of their church was bitten and killed in 1995 by a rattlesnake during a service.
Then when the National Geographic network comes calling and offers you some money to do a REALITY TV SHOW, you tell them "this is my religion, this is my faith, and my faith is not for sale to some TV network, don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you", and you go about your business of being a preacher and don't sell your faith to some channel that only wants to make money selling tampon and tire advertisements

He didn't do that, he cashed in
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:36 PM   #14
d20636
Haven't seen your acid...

Male

CockyCash: 1360
d20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot material

Guess he should have milked the snakes a bit more before the show...
Old 02-17-2014, 02:39 PM   #15
bigdog2003
Future Coaching Legend

Male

Quote:
Then when the National Geographic network comes calling and offers you some money to do a REALITY TV SHOW, you tell them "this is my religion, this is my faith, and my faith is not for sale to some TV network, don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you", and you go about your business of being a preacher and don't sell your faith to some channel that only wants to make money selling tampon and tire advertisements

The same thing can be said for any religious person that does TV work.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:51 PM   #16
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 675600
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Quote:
I would say the snakes got their revenge.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #17
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

The Gospel of Mark ends at 16:8.

Putting your faith into what a later author wrote is a really bad idea.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:12 PM   #18
uscgmck
Coming back home, one day

Male

CockyCash: 100500
uscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot material

SPAREPARTS

Agree mostly
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #19
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Typical Classless Coot.

See what I did there?
Old 02-17-2014, 04:40 PM   #20
etowngangsta
Challenge accepted.

Male

CockyCash: 1065800
etowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot material

Quote:

Or you could use it as a way to expand your religious beliefs by having thousands of people watch that normally wouldn't.

I watched a couple episodes and knew in the first 10 seconds these people were crazy.

If I'm in a service and someone breaks out a snake (doesn't matter what kind, even a rubber one) I'm out right then. And I'm not going back.
etowngangsta is offline   Reply With Quote