CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
RGHoskins
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
El Cid Ranger
kingofnerf
markymark550
Captain9Dragons
KaneisAble
uscgamecocks88
Fight, win, kick a-- (1102)
SC vs Auburn -- Play (923)
CFN prediction for a (871)
The Gator Bowl wants (847)
Why I'm hopeful abou (813)
USC will upset Aubur (710)
A simple defensive l (677)
What happened to thi (646)
Ranking Top HC jobs (467)
In-state QB talent (443)
Fight, win, kick a-- addi
Holiday desserts
The Gator Bowl wants us!
USC Picked 12th By SEC Me
Why is everyone anticipat
Cann tipping plays?
BA ranks recruiting class
A simple defensive line &
USC will upset Auburn; Wh
Thoughts on the basketbal

Old 02-23-2014, 08:20 AM   #1
superfly
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 900
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material
Default In Mens basketball

...how much better are we now than before ? I understand that there was a downward spiral under Horn and it was a failed staff. The problem is we are no better as a team than we were then. I will accept that Frank Martin had a better resume and has brought in different players but the records are no better and the crowds are still smaller. This is a sport where one or two good players can make a big difference with a good supporting cast but I just don't see that transpiring. I am not a "doubting Debbie" so to speak but when I look into the crystal ball, I don't see Frank as our road map to success. We passed on Greg Marshall twice for what ever reason and the guy has produced everywhere and we haven't. If we are better off now than we were under Horn (and I am no Horn fan by a long shot ) then please explain how ? I think we made the wrong hire twice and the next time we need to get it right. Don't give me the "Rome wasn't built in a day " crap. We are not building Rome.....
Old 02-23-2014, 08:43 AM   #2
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 200
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material
Default Re: In Mens basketball

I get what you mean. Different coach, same results. No reason to expect a great improvement next season either, some but not great. There are flashes here and there but we have maybe 2 players that are ready to take us to the next level and they can't get it done alone. Still so many needs around this team year after year its the same story.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:29 AM   #3
SanAntonioCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 225747
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

...and I hate the Spurrier/Martin comparisons. It's not the same as football. The SEC is not some kind of basketball super conference.

Never forget the "y" ...and so forth.
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
Tolley
4-Star

Male

Tolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPit

I understand where you're coming from. I was definitely hoping for better results this year too. However, I'm not going to say we made a bad hire just yet. He's got one more year, for me, to turn this program around. Next year, we should win most of these close games we lost this year, I also expect us to pull an upset or two of teams we aren't supposed to beat. We need to finish next year strong, with a noticeable difference from the beginning of the season.
Now, I haven't really followed our basketball recruiting, so I'm not sure if he's got any high talent players coming in. But if he doesn't, and he can't win with the talent he is bringing in then, So Long I'll See Ya.
Tolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:14 AM   #5
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

The hardest thing for us to do is recruit quality players. We are recruiting players who are also getting courted by all the big time programs. Makes it tough to sell the players on coming to USC when we are in a big rut.

The thing that really gets me is it seems our team as a whole really lacks a high level of understanding about fundamentals... What to do to beat a press, weak side defensive help, good rotations on D, boxing out, good ball movement on offense, effective screening, back door cuts, etc. Until our team fully understands those things and can implement them in game I just don't see us getting much better.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:42 AM   #6
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 106687138593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

You have to wait until year #4
Old 02-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #7
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
ipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot material

I am having trouble being optimistic about "building a program" because of the post play. You cannot build a program without solid post play. We currently have horrendous post play. I'm not convinced anyone on the roster is going to be a solid post performer. The Lithuanians are unathletic and low upside. Ringer is a below the rim guy who never sees the court even with our current troubles. Henry may have upside but has no aggressiveness, no offensive game, and is constantly lost.

In our current class we are bringing in a point guard and shooting guard. No post players on the way.

As long as we have terrible post play we will continue to be one of, if not the worst program in the conference.

-- George Burns
ipull4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:00 PM   #8
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

One of the biggest problems in basketball recruiting right now is that there isn't a huge depth of talent in South Carolina. We signed Sindarius Thornwell last year and he is going to be a great player. Horn left the cupboard bare, so it will take until year 4 for Frank to turn it around.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:09 PM   #9
acejrock

Male

CockyCash: 28363636
acejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to acejrock Send a message via Yahoo to acejrock

Please don't try to compare the first years with Frank to the first years with Horn. It's disrespectful to Frank and Odom.
acejrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:32 PM   #10
FLCock89
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 2800
FLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudly

Dawn Staley was 10-18 and 14-15 her first two seasons here. Year three they managed to make the WNIT with an 18-15 record. Now, three seasons later, we are contending for an SEC championship and a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. Trying to determine if Martin is a successful/failed hire in the middle of his second season is way too impatient. Like others have said on here, year 4 is the number.
FLCock89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:37 PM   #11
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114508514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

I have confidence in CFM. An awful second half yesterday and the crying rears it's ugly head again. I am going to give him more time as we did Dawn and that has certainly paid off even when her star player (Bone) cried and quit on us.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:39 PM   #12
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

Some of the same people that wanted us to go after Marshall wanted us to go after Anthony Grant who is now at ALA and may soon get fired. Success at one place does not guarantee success at another.

Martin may not be the answer, but he is better than any coach we have had in 15 years, give him time.

We have to understand where we are as a program. We have, no history is success, lots of coaching turnover, no players in the pros, and a team full of fresh and soph. Who wants to come here? This is going to take several years to fix, not 2
Old 02-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #13
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 17972586
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

The following are the facts of how long it takes to build things:

Basketball program: 3-4 years

Offensive line: 18 years

Lego tower that gets knocked down by the ceiling fan: 42 minutes
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:53 PM   #14
GamecockDad1531
Two Deep

Male

GamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot material

We need to bring in about 3 more top 15 classes before we'll be able to have games that we expect to win. As long as Martin improves the talent, the effort and the level of play each season, I'm willing to give him as long as he needs. I don't expect much till at least year 5, if he stays that long.
GamecockDad1531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:55 PM   #15
FilchCock
4-Star

Male

FilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPit

I know this will be a frustrating response, but give it time.
FilchCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:59 PM   #16
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

Its taken Dawn Staley six seasons to get the ladies program from the dumps to number four in the country.

It takes time.

davidmc467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:39 PM   #17
treyno2722
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 918
treyno2722 is sharpening his clawstreyno2722 is sharpening his clawstreyno2722 is sharpening his clawstreyno2722 is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc467 View Post
Its taken Dawn Staley six seasons to get the ladies program from the dumps to number four in the country.

It takes time.
Maybe Dawn can coach the Men's team also. Not banging on Frank but this team doesn't have much talent.
treyno2722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:50 PM   #18
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyno2722 View Post
Maybe Dawn can coach the Men's team also. Not banging on Frank but this team doesn't have much talent.
And neither did Dawn in her second season.

davidmc467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:09 PM   #19
superfly
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 900
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc467 View Post

It takes time.
I saw improvement with Staley's team each and every year, game by game. They played harder. They were more fundamentally sound and you could see a work in progress. I have not seen the same in Horn or Martins teams. We should be seeing a team that can run set plays and do the things to stay in a game. That is not happening with the men's team on the same level as with Staley's first 2 teams. I am not looking for a No.6 ranking. I look to see if we improve game by game...year by year. I see no evidence of that and the frustration is not helping the team. I see a tight team, afraid to make a mistake, not a bunch of kids playing a game they love. If that's not what you see then that's OK with me, but I see what I see.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #20
al hough
Walk On

Male

al hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his comb

I see it differently, I do see improvement over the year. Also see periods when freshman play like freshman and not like seniors. Some folks expect the impossible, we don't have the one and done types that can change a program right away. We also do not have the talent all around to win most of the close games that we have lost. Coach Martin and staff have to work really hard to get recruits to come to Carolina.
I do not see a team that plays uptight under pressure, but a team with freshman that are mismatched against teams with mostly upperclassmen.
This is really the first year since we have mostly all new players, you MUST have patience until this years freshman are at least juniors before you can expect a big winning season. It is not easy to watch our guys working so hard and not getting the W but things will change. The team right now is way better than they were in November and next year will be better than they are now. That said, they still might not win enough to suit those of you that think it should change over night. I hope we get a big horse type inside for next year and that will help a lot.
al hough is offline   Reply With Quote