CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
Regalcock
CockyLifer
JerseyBird
The Yancey
kingoftheroost
SMOTFS86
Gamecocks1137
B-G
catdaddy66
**USC vs. Coker GAME (2228)
Bruce!!! (1421)
2014 Subway Classic: (1226)
Cocky at the Duck Co (286)
Ali Hospitalized Wit (219)
aTm demolishes Kyle (201)
movers, furniture do (190)
Streaming nfl games (173)
Deer Hunting 2014 (171)
Happy Winter Solstic (125)
2015 Commitment - Quandes
aTm demolishes Kyle Field
So, why is next year goin
**USC vs. Coker GAME Thre
Cocky at the Duck Command
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Former Gamecock rooting f
2014 Subway Classic:**USC
Bruce!!!
***2014 Carolina Panthers

Old 02-27-2014, 11:50 AM   #1
weatheredxtown
Master of Minutia

Male

CockyCash: 1000000300
weatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudly
Default Baseball History

I've seen a lot of posts throughout the baseball boards talking about bandwagon fans and fans who don't know anything about The Sarge and they've only been fans since we won our first Natty, etc. and it sorta just made me feel bad because I've only been a Gamecock baseball fan since about '08 (I'm only 17 now) and I really don't know a lot about our history prior to the 2010 postseason. I'd like to learn a lot more about our past (besides some of the obvious that everyone knows like how many times we've been to That City Which Shall Not Be Named and whatnot). First off, I really wanna know where The Sarge came from, and then anything else y'all can add in.

Thanks, and go Gamecocks!
weatheredxtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:01 PM   #2
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21
Default Re: Baseball History

Sarge Frye Field was named for Weldon B. "Sarge" Frye who was essentially "Groundskeeper Emeritus" at the University of South Carolina. The grass was never greener anywhere on Earth than at The Sarge during the Spring. It was his baby.

http://www.gamecocksonline.com/facil...es-basebl.html

A little bit of history...Gamecocks Baseball has only had 1, yes 1, losing season since 1971, that being the 1996 season, June Raines last at USC. We ended the season 3 games under .500.

I have been attending games since 1979. I have seen a lot of great baseball played, and some not so great baseball played. One of the best nights at The Sarge was April 23, 1997, "The Night The Tigers Were Tamed", final of 38-16.

Being a Batgirl toward the end of June's tenure was a fun time. I was there when we joined the SEC, and played our first home SEC series vs. LSU. Sunday's game was played in sleet. Back then we played a DH on Saturday and one on Sunday.

We hosted the 1993 SEC Eastern Division Baseball Tournament. We went 0-2, losing to UGA and V Hightower's Vandy team. I swannee...that shot he hit was still rising when it hit the Green Monster in CF.

I can remember when the fence around the outfield was just a regular fence you could see through. The weekend that we would host our 3 games of the 6 game Clemsux series, that fence would be lined with folks sitting in their lawnchairs, watching baseball.

I saw HRs hit trains on the tracks behind RF. Saw many a train conductors stop their trains to watch baseball on many a warm Spring afternoon (or night).

The Sarge had the charm of an old neighborhood ballpark. We used to slide down the hill (where the new Roost is now) on cardboard boxes during the game, and run along the OF fence shagging HR balls.

Lots of fun times, and lots of heartbreak.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:09 PM   #3
Barry_gamecock
Average a post a day

Male

CockyCash: 327
Barry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot material

We were often number 1 in the nation for much of the season back around 2000 and surrounding years. Kip Bouknight was a beast pitcher. We started one season like 23-0. I remember us putting up close to 40 runs on Charleston Southern. Back in the early part of the century Tanner relied on the long ball. We hit a ton of home runs. We never could put it together into the postseason. We've become more well rounded probably because of the BBCOR bats. I remember guys use to hit almost 30 home runs in a college season back then. I think Yaaron Peters was one of those guys.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:46 PM   #4
ElectricCock
Fear The Thumb, Clemson

Male

CockyCash: 200516
ElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot material

The Sarge was a rowdy place, too. The 3rd base line hecklers were infamous. There was also a standing room only section up high on the 1st base line that I had to stand in plenty of games that was rowdy.

During big games, fans would go to the adjacent softball stadium and watch. I miss the Sarge
Old 02-27-2014, 01:21 PM   #5
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 26100000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

My favorite memories of The Sarge were being an RA at the Roost. I could mix a drink in my room, walk onto the walkway, and watch the games. There was one year when we didn't have a lot residents over there, and I used my master key to watch the game from one of the top-floor vacant rooms.

When I was first assigned to that dorm, I really did not care much about baseball. Ray Tanner introduced himself to me when i was handing out room assignments to the team members, and I kinda blew him off. By the end of my first semester over there, the team turned me into a full-fledged Gamecock Baseball fan. Thanks go to Landon Powell, David Marchbanks, Kevin Melilo, Garris Gonce, and all of the others on my floor for getting me hooked.
cocky0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:34 PM   #6
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material

Oh yeah...some guy named Mickey once came down here to give some batting lessons back when Coach Richardson (Bobby - former Yankees 2B) asked.

We were truly blessed to have Coach Richardson grace our dugout.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:39 PM   #7
JerseyBird
Fuggedaboudit

Male

CockyCash: 1044445445
JerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
One of the best nights at The Sarge was April 23, 1997, "The Night The Tigers Were Tamed", final of 38-16.
Wow lol

Thanks for the stories all - great thread idea!
Old 02-27-2014, 02:00 PM   #8
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Oh yeah...some guy named Mickey once came down here to give some batting lessons back when Coach Richardson (Bobby - former Yankees 2B) asked.

We were truly blessed to have Coach Richardson grace our dugout.

That Mickey fellow looks like he might have played a game or two in the pros. I wonder if he was any good.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:01 PM   #9
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocky0 View Post
That Mickey fellow looks like he might have played a game or two in the pros. I wonder if he was any good.
Meh...I looked him up. He was ok...nothing to write home about by any means.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:07 PM   #10
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

Quote:
Meh...I looked him up. He was ok...nothing to write home about by any means.

Yeah I guess they couldn't get a real player like Mario Mendoza to come in and teach hitting.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:26 PM   #11
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000000500
OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Back in '67 or '68 - don't remember which. Early May, exam week. Needed to study. Couple of the guys said 'Let's go watch the game. We'll be back in plenty of time to study.'

Seven hours later I watched as the Cocks won in the bottom of the 17th. Best baseball game I ever saw.

Inspired by their example or too tired to study, I took those two exams cold turkey & aced 'em.

weatheredxtown, tks for bringing that long-forgotten memory to the fore.
OldPat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:01 PM   #12
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Sarge Frye Field was named for Weldon B. "Sarge" Frye who was essentially "Groundskeeper Emeritus" at the University of South Carolina. The grass was never greener anywhere on Earth than at The Sarge during the Spring. It was his baby.

A little bit of history...Gamecocks Baseball has only had 1, yes 1, losing season since 1971, that being the 1996 season, June Raines last at USC. We ended the season 3 games under .500.

I have been attending games since 1979. I have seen a lot of great baseball played, and some not so great baseball played. One of the best nights at The Sarge was April 23, 1997, "The Night The Tigers Were Tamed", final of 38-16.

Being a Batgirl toward the end of June's tenure was a fun time. I was there when we joined the SEC, and played our first home SEC series vs. LSU. Sunday's game was played in sleet. Back then we played a DH on Saturday and one on Sunday.

We hosted the 1993 SEC Eastern Division Baseball Tournament. We went 0-2, losing to UGA and V Hightower's Vandy team. I swannee...that shot he hit was still rising when it hit the Green Monster in CF.

I can remember when the fence around the outfield was just a regular fence you could see through. The weekend that we would host our 3 games of the 6 game Clemsux series, that fence would be lined with folks sitting in their lawnchairs, watching baseball.

I saw HRs hit trains on the tracks behind RF. Saw many a train conductors stop their trains to watch baseball on many a warm Spring afternoon (or night).

The Sarge had the charm of an old neighborhood ballpark. We used to slide down the hill (where the new Roost is now) on cardboard boxes during the game, and run along the OF fence shagging HR balls.

1994 was the year I was going to walk onto the Carolina baseball team. I actually sat in Coach Raines' office and talked to him about the possibility. I wasn't a great hitter but I was a really good defensive player with a strong arm. I would have been on that 1996 team. Instead, I ended up getting a co-op at IBM in the Fall 1994 and never went out for the team. If I had, you would have been a batgirl on that team

I remember that 1996 game against Clemson. Back then, I was a tutor for some of the athletes at The Roost - mainly track guys. I finished up that night right as the game was starting. The place was packed. If I remember correctly, Clemson scored 9 runs in the tops of the 1st. We came back in the bottom of the first and scored 10. After that, the rout was on!
Old 02-27-2014, 03:04 PM   #13
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocky0 View Post
My favorite memories of The Sarge were being an RA at the Roost. I could mix a drink in my room, walk onto the walkway, and watch the games. There was one year when we didn't have a lot residents over there, and I used my master key to watch the game from one of the top-floor vacant rooms.

When I was first assigned to that dorm, I really did not care much about baseball. Ray Tanner introduced himself to me when i was handing out room assignments to the team members, and I kinda blew him off. By the end of my first semester over there, the team turned me into a full-fledged Gamecock Baseball fan. Thanks go to Landon Powell, David Marchbanks, Kevin Melilo, Garris Gonce, and all of the others on my floor for getting me hooked.
A few years ago, I met Landon Powell here in Sacramento. He was playing for the AAA team of the A's. I had worn my Gamecock baseball jersey to the game and we started talking. Gave me his number and told me whenever I wanted tickets, let him know.

I never followed up with him about it. Now, he had the recent tragedy with his child. Seems like so many years ago. Really felt bad for him and what his family went through.

Last edited by uscjeremynca; 02-27-2014 at 03:28 PM.
uscjeremynca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:13 PM   #14
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
A few years ago, I met Landon Power here in Sacramento. He was playing for the AAA team of the A's. I had worn my Gamecock baseball jersey to the game and we started talking. Gave me his number and told me whenever I wanted tickets, let him know.

I never followed up with him about it. Now, he had the recent tragedy with his child. Seems like so many years ago. Really felt bad for him and what his family went through.

He was always one of the quiet ones on my floor. Actually they all were pretty laid-back dudes.

Garris Gonce was the trouble-maker, but he wasn't like over the top or anything.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:05 PM   #15
ThisMr X
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
ThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_gamecock View Post
We were often number 1 in the nation for much of the season back around 2000 and surrounding years. Kip Bouknight was a beast pitcher. We started one season like 23-0. I remember us putting up close to 40 runs on Charleston Southern. Back in the early part of the century Tanner relied on the long ball. We hit a ton of home runs. We never could put it together into the postseason. We've become more well rounded probably because of the BBCOR bats. I remember guys use to hit almost 30 home runs in a college season back then. I think Yaaron Peters was one of those guys.
He ended up with 28 that year
Old 02-27-2014, 06:20 PM   #16
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Quote:

Do you remember what the expectations of the "Night the Tigers Were Tamed" expectations and how both teams were doing?
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #17
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1000001185
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

The hecklers at the sarge were more intense than they are now. Loved that place.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:37 PM   #18
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

I remember and its hard, but i feel like we thought the last game was going to be vs UGA, we got down 8 runs, and came back in the last few innings to win. I would have loved for that to have been how we closed out the sarge. I remember going to pretty much all regionals and super regionals since around 97' dad was a gamecock ambassador, so we went. One year we beat UCF twice in a regional to move on to a super regional ( i feel like that was our first super regional win) i also remember being there for a downpour vs ECU, and lastly but sadly remember the U-LA-LA series where the most dominate Gamecock baseball team ever got beat by a bunch of junkballers, ugh that sucked. Honorable mention, Jim Thoman(sp) getting tossed and going on a rant was so funny

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:39 PM   #19
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

I remember also, jeers like "Leave her in, Take her out" "theres still no outs" whooop,woooo" etc where so prevelant. Thise guys on the third base side never skipped a beat. Ten they all complained later the athletic department broke them all up

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:41 PM   #20
Wardkd2012
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 393
Wardkd2012 has hatched from the shell

If you want to learn in depth about the history of Gamecock baseball, I would invest in a copy of "Carolina Baseball: Pressure Makes Diamonds." I got to learn all about the first baseball team ever assembled at Carolina all the way up to the National Championship teams. Its really a great read and I highly recommend it to all the hardcore gamecock baseball fans.
Wardkd2012 is offline   Reply With Quote