CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
catdaddy66
GregoryHouse
JaxcockFL
doubledribble
SMOTFS86
Cockhornleghorn
B-G
Regalcock
JerseyBird
2014 Subway Classic: (2130)
Props to Eric Hyman. (1630)
Former Gamecock root (1464)
Franks boy's are pla (1343)
Garcia and Clemsux T (787)
Has the window close (687)
Bruce!!! (614)
Shrine Bowl on ESPNu (603)
Kentucky is dominati (575)
Question for those w (486)
Decommitment from Texas A
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBALL PL
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
UFC Fight Night 58: Lyota
Has the window closed for
The Vent and Coaching cha
Bruce!!!
Franks boy's are playing
2015 - Eurndraus Bryant
Question for those who ha

Old 02-27-2014, 07:40 PM   #1
CockTail
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material
Default How would you improve our Football Program?

We have had a ton of success the last few years, and I was thinking what could be done to take the next step in our program?

Here are my thoughts:
1. Increase our recruiting budget. We are near the bottom of the league in recruiting budget, yet we are in a state that has a lack of depth in talent. We need to spend more in recruiting to bring in out of state kids. I also think this could mean hiring more people to support the recruiting staff. Road trips!

2. Spend even more money on our facilities. We have made great strides in the last few years in this area, but we still have a long way to go. By most assessments, we are still behind all of the following programs in overall facilities: ALA, AU,LSU,TAM,FLA,GA,TN,MISS,ARK,Mizzou. All of these programs already have full size indoor facilities already in place. I realize ours is coming, but just pointing out how far we are behind.

3. Write more checks. All of these things will take more money, our fans and alumni will need to give more to make this happen. This could come from higher ticket prices, or additional special packages for higher contributors. We can not rely on the SEC share of revenue to fund this since everyone else will get the same share.

Your Turn.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:45 PM   #2
roosterdude21
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1999829275
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material
Default Re: How would you improve our Football Program?

^This^
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:55 PM   #3
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 1000995751
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

1 Go after 5 star recruits, not every year, but when the field is deep and they are in our pipeline, we need to go after them hard. For talent, and for a recruiting standpoint of other seeing us recruiting well, in turn makes the talking heads talk us up more, which means more airtime etc.

2 Since most of the projects have been approved by the board, and the funding is there, we need to go ahead and get these new projects built. The longer we wait, the farther behind we will be and the longer it will take to catch up to the Alabama's and Oregon's.

3 Get rid of certain coaches that seemingly contribute noting on the field or in recruiting, and get someone that does. (Cough Cough Special Teams)

4 WIN THE SEC
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 1357725516
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockTail View Post
We have had a ton of success the last few years, and I was thinking what could be done to take the next step in our program?

Here are my thoughts:
1. Increase our recruiting budget. We are near the bottom of the league in recruiting budget, yet we are in a state that has a lack of depth in talent. We need to spend more in recruiting to bring in out of state kids. I also think this could mean hiring more people to support the recruiting staff. Road trips!

2. Spend even more money on our facilities. We have made great strides in the last few years in this area, but we still have a long way to go. By most assessments, we are still behind all of the following programs in overall facilities: ALA, AU,LSU,TAM,FLA,GA,TN,MISS,ARK,Mizzou. All of these programs already have full size indoor facilities already in place. I realize ours is coming, but just pointing out how far we are behind.

3. Write more checks. All of these things will take more money, our fans and alumni will need to give more to make this happen. This could come from higher ticket prices, or additional special packages for higher contributors. We can not rely on the SEC share of revenue to fund this since everyone else will get the same share.

Your Turn.
Just throwing money at something does not always work! Our Gov borrows 1 million dollars a minute, hows that workin for ya?

I hope we are already grooming SOS's replacement, we need another HR hire to keep what Holtz and Spurrier have accomplished going in the right direction. Write the big check there!
Old 02-27-2014, 09:15 PM   #5
rrsandersjr
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
rrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talons

Get rid of negative fans
rrsandersjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:27 PM   #6
Mechanical Cock
Blue Chip

Male

Mechanical Cock rules the CockPitMechanical Cock rules the CockPitMechanical Cock rules the CockPitMechanical Cock rules the CockPitMechanical Cock rules the CockPitMechanical Cock rules the CockPitMechanical Cock rules the CockPitMechanical Cock rules the CockPitMechanical Cock rules the CockPitMechanical Cock rules the CockPitMechanical Cock rules the CockPit

I like what they are doing. We are playing catch up but i think we are making ground. I love the focus on the area arounf the stadium.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:32 PM   #7
CockinAthens
Behind enemy lines

Male

CockyCash: 382300
CockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot materialCockinAthens is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockTail View Post

Here are my thoughts:

Your Turn.
I agree with what you posted, although UGA does not have a full indoor facility, it's only about 30 yds.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:45 PM   #8
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

I think you're on-point for the most part. Improve the recruiting budget and staff, continue to beef up facilities.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:57 PM   #9
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2462144
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Let the guys who are paid to improve the football program do their job.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:07 PM   #10
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

If SOS wanted a bigger recruiting budget he would already have one. He wants to recruit smarter, not zoom everywhere, throwing offers out to kids we have no shot at getting.

I think the results we are getting are realistically as about as good as we can get, given our circumstances of geographic location and state and population size. The further away you get from home, the harder it is to get kids, unless you have tons of tradition. The only way we can get tradition is keep winning and get a few SEC titles and more. Right now we have a decent chance of beating anyone in the nation and then it is just a matter of a few breaks, good execution, better game plans, etc.

You just have to target certain kids and discern as quickly as possible what is the biggest key you can use to get him interested in your school...close to home, in state kid, out of state kid, not too far away from home, SEC, fine coaches that develop talent, loyal fans, school and academic support staff, great teammates already here, being the first to win the SEC or more here, early playing time, great relationship with coaches, or other things. Any one or more of those things might be what you need to focus upon and then work him and get his trust. Some kids want all flash, some don't and want simple things and substance. We have a pretty much non BS staff, I''ll go with that every time.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:30 PM   #11
CockTail
Starter

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post
If SOS wanted a bigger recruiting budget he would already have one. He wants to recruit smarter, not zoom everywhere, throwing offers out to kids we have no shot at getting.

I think the results we are getting are realistically as about as good as we can get, given our circumstances of geographic location and state and population size. The further away you get from home, the harder it is to get kids, unless you have tons of tradition. The only way we can get tradition is keep winning and get a few SEC titles and more. Right now we have a decent chance of beating anyone in the nation and then it is just a matter of a few breaks, good execution, better game plans, etc.

You just have to target certain kids and discern as quickly as possible what is the biggest key you can use to get him interested in your school...close to home, in state kid, out of state kid, not too far away from home, SEC, fine coaches that develop talent, loyal fans, school and academic support staff, great teammates already here, being the first to win the SEC or more here, early playing time, great relationship with coaches, or other things. Any one or more of those things might be what you need to focus upon and then work him and get his trust. Some kids want all flash, some don't and want simple things and substance. We have a pretty much non BS staff, I''ll go with that every time.
SOS has pushed personally for upgrades to our facilities, specifically the indoor facility. This is partially because we need a place indoors and partially because he knows we need to keep up with our competitors. SOS recognizes what we need to stay competitive, more resources more upgrades, and recruiting upgrades are included in that.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:50 PM   #12
scfanz
Game MVP

Male

scfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot material

I would get the big money boys together and start buying up the land around Williams Brice. Then we could transform the area around Williams Brice from an industrial wasteland into a park complex that is family friendly and a beautiful place to kick butt on Saturdays.
scfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:45 AM   #13
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

A National Championship.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:26 AM   #14
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Special Teams
Old 02-28-2014, 07:38 AM   #15
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Buy a national championship and talk about history

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #16
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

We should see a lot of improvement this season. Now that we've gotten rid of that lazy Clowney, and our run-first QB Shaw; things will be looking up. I think the next step has go to be to find a replacement for Spurrier.

Sure, we've had a couple of successful seasons, but if we want to take that next step we are going to need to find someone younger who likes to recruit. Someone that can relate to the kids. I don't know about you, but I expect us to be getting 6-7 5 star recruits a year if we ever want to take it to the next level.

;)
Old 02-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #17
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
We should see a lot of improvement this season. Now that we've gotten rid of that lazy Clowney, and our run-first QB Shaw; things will be looking up. I think the next step has go to be to find a replacement for Spurrier.

Sure, we've had a couple of successful seasons, but if we want to take that next step we are going to need to find someone younger who likes to recruit. Someone that can relate to the kids. I don't know about you, but I expect us to be getting 6-7 5 star recruits a year if we ever want to take it to the next level.

;)
This guy gets it.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:39 AM   #18
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

Upon further consideration, I have come up with an answer so simple that I am amazed no one thought of it before.

All the great programs have plenty of 5 star recruits. So what do we do to beat them? Get 6 star recruits.

Pretty much think SOS and Ray and the gang are doing all they can and the improvements we have made and are upcoming are part of it. Heck, I never thought I would see what we have now. No, I am not satisfied until we get some serious hardware and titles, but I am appreciative and realistic about how tough it is to get to the top and stay there long enough to become a traditional power.

If we make it before I croak, I will become crazier than I am now, of course, but as far as I am concerned, we are already winners. We are lucky enough to be Gamecock fans. Even through the decades and generations of bad times, it has been worth it and darn few other fan bases can say that truthfully. It separates us from the others for we earned all the good we've received and treasure it all.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:01 AM   #19
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

The quickest way might be to get some money together and buy the Seahawks. I hear they have a good defense.

Actually, it's a lot harder to build and sustain a great program than to dream one up. Think over the years of the programs that were on top for a while and dropped as others took over top spots. Coaches change, rules change (scholarship limits, recruiting rules), alumni put up cash, teams get caught cheating. How good has Notre Dame been the last 10 years. What happened to Purdue? Where did Louisville come from? Can they stay up? Nebraska? Will Penn State come back? There's just no simple or single way to get it and sustain it.

I do like the idea someone posted about buying land and making a beautiful, attractive complex surrounding WB. The redevelopment of the farmers' market sure looks nice and makes a good impression. It might allow for more parking improvements as well.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #20
Garnet Gamecock
Banned

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Increase recruiting budget and start targeting (strategically) some 5-star out-of-state prospects.

As a Texan who lived in South Carolina for a few years, I can tell you that the distance factor can be overcome with many of these kids if you reinforce the positives of the entire state of South Carolina (beaches, mountains within an easy drive, beauty of the state).

G.A. is onto something with all these northern kids that hate the winter months. Show them South Carolina and all those beaches!
Garnet Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote