CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
catdaddy66
JaxcockFL
doubledribble
SMOTFS86
GregoryHouse
Cockhornleghorn
B-G
Regalcock
JerseyBird
2014 Subway Classic: (2065)
Props to Eric Hyman. (1551)
Former Gamecock root (1412)
Franks boy's are pla (1243)
Garcia and Clemsux T (787)
Shrine Bowl on ESPNu (572)
Has the window close (570)
Kentucky is dominati (545)
Bruce!!! (516)
Question for those w (445)
UFC Fight Night 58: Lyota
Has the window closed for
The Vent and Coaching cha
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
Bruce!!!
Franks boy's are playing
2015 - Eurndraus Bryant
Question for those who ha
Props to Eric Hyman. Than
Decommitment from Texas A

Old 03-05-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
CarolinaSpur12
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 100500
CarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his combCarolinaSpur12 is developing his comb
Default Vitamins and Supplements

I'm looking to try and get my health in order and pack on some muscle. I'm not trying to get "roided up", I'm just trying to find some good vitamins and supplements to take that'll fit in with my workouts. I run and bike about 16 miles a week and lift 4 days a week. I take a low cal whey protein and a pre workout but that's about it. What are some supplements and vitamins some of you take to promote gains and overall health?

CarolinaSpur12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:43 AM   #2
BigOrangeCrush
Spring is Coming

Male

CockyCash: 500
BigOrangeCrush has hatched from the shell
Default Re: Vitamins and Supplements

Muscle Pharm has a great Vitamin which contains many fruit and vegetable extracts plus some Probiotics, anti oxidants and Omega fatty acids..it's called Armor V. I have taken Centrum for years then switched to this and feel a lot better...only drawback is a serving is 6 pills...

Also, they have a really good BCAA which is called BCAA 3:1:2

I use Muscle Pharm pre workout, ASSAULT, post workout, RECON and their Protein Powder, COMBAT...I like all their products

I have used all kinds of different supps and brands and this has been the best for me. I know a lot of people like BSN or Gaspari...

I Powerlift, so my needs are a little different than what yours prob are...Muscle Pharm has a wide variety of supps, check out Bodybuilding.com or TigerFitness.com. Those two have the best prices and largest selection usually.

Last edited by BigOrangeCrush; 03-05-2014 at 10:49 AM. Reason: More info
BigOrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:09 AM   #3
Cockypantherfan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

If you are looking to pack on some muscle you probably should tone down your cardio a little bit to enable some gains. What you will have to do is eat a ton and lift heavy to pack on the muscle (added fat is inevitable) and then while continuing to eat right, incorporate some cardio to help lose the extra bit of weight that was gained.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:17 AM   #4
BigOrangeCrush
Spring is Coming

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
If you are looking to pack on some muscle you probably should tone down your cardio a little bit to enable some gains. What you will have to do is eat a ton and lift heavy to pack on the muscle (added fat is inevitable) and then while continuing to eat right, incorporate some cardio to help lose the extra bit of weight that was gained.
Great answer. He didnt really specify what he was going for, so I just threw in the supps angle. It would do us good to know what his goal is, to better help.

I Powerlift bc I don't have the willpower to eat right nor the time really. Also, it is really, really expensive and when you have a wife and 3 kids, it can add up big time...you have to make 2 seperate meals for each meal, yours and theirs.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
Cockypantherfan
Household Name

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaSpur12 View Post
I'm looking to try and get my health in order and pack on some muscle. I'm not trying to get "roided up", I'm just trying to find some good vitamins and supplements to take that'll fit in with my workouts. I run and bike about 16 miles a week and lift 4 days a week. I take a low cal whey protein and a pre workout but that's about it. What are some supplements and vitamins some of you take to promote gains and overall health?
If you have never tried a preworkout before I would give that a shot as well. Probably a bad thing, but I cannot workout without a preworkout now... it's just not the same.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:06 PM   #6
Jim Lahey
I'm on the white liqour

Male

CockyCash: 1000700
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaSpur12 View Post
Drink a protein shake before and after your workout. I'd also recommend adding a multivitamin with your breakfast. The easiest way to add solid muscle is to eat. You'll need to increase your calorie intake. Eating about 4-5 meals a day is ideal. Lean proteins like chicken, fish, meat and complex carbs like sweet potatoes, brown rice or rice cakes are a must after a workout. Drink your protein shake immediately after your workout and make sure you get a big, healthy meal in within an hour of completing your workout. You can take all of the supps you want, but unless you eat more, you'll never pack on muscle.

Lim Jahey! Pleased to meet you, bud!
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #7
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 840000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

I exercise 4-5 times a week....weights and treadmill...and am looking to drop a little weight and tone more for the summer. I just bought the GNC Ripped Vitapaks, which from what I read, are pretty good. I usually don't buy GNC stuff since it's terribly overpriced. But this pack which is usually $60 for a 30 day supply, was on sale for $27. It has a multi, CLA, Thermo Igniter and diuretic.

Other than that, I take a C4 which is an NO3 for pre-workout and Dark Matter, which is protein based for post workout. The DM is awesome stuff!
Old 03-05-2014, 03:54 PM   #8
Jim Lahey
I'm on the white liqour

Male

CockyCash: 1000700
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post
I exercise 4-5 times a week....weights and treadmill...and am looking to drop a little weight and tone more for the summer. I just bought the GNC Ripped Vitapaks, which from what I read, are pretty good. I usually don't buy GNC stuff since it's terribly overpriced. But this pack which is usually $60 for a 30 day supply, was on sale for $27. It has a multi, CLA, Thermo Igniter and diuretic.

Other than that, I take a C4 which is an NO3 for pre-workout and Dark Matter, which is protein based for post workout. The DM is awesome stuff!
I agree, Dark Matter is an awesome post workout supp

Lim Jahey! Pleased to meet you, bud!
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:56 PM   #9
BigOrangeCrush
Spring is Coming

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
I agree, Dark Matter is an awesome post workout supp
Haven't tried that one...I like the RECON but of all the MP supps, that is the one I'm not too happy with
Old 03-05-2014, 03:59 PM   #10
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 840000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOrangeCrush View Post
Haven't tried that one...I like the RECON but of all the MP supps, that is the one I'm not too happy with
I've tried lots of post workout stuff and Dark Matter is the best by far. It's rated really high on the body building sites, which is why I tried it. Check it out.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/mhp/darkmatter.html
Old 03-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #11
BigOrangeCrush
Spring is Coming

Male

Quote:
I've tried lots of post workout stuff and Dark Matter is the best by far. It's rated really high on the body building sites, which is why I tried it. Check it out.

I will, thanks...in the Bodybuilding, Powerlifting and Crossfit world, word of mouth is the best way, besides trying every single supp yourself, to figure out what works and what doesn't
Old 03-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #12
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

CockyCash: 1000000500
Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

Rivalus products. They're a tad more expensive but they're "clean" with no fillers. I own a gym and its the only brand we carry.

Gaichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #13
egnarts
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 700
egnarts rules the CockPitegnarts rules the CockPitegnarts rules the CockPitegnarts rules the CockPitegnarts rules the CockPitegnarts rules the CockPitegnarts rules the CockPitegnarts rules the CockPitegnarts rules the CockPitegnarts rules the CockPitegnarts rules the CockPit

My wife and I have sold Shaklee products since 1977. Shaklee Corporation has a reputation that far exceeds all previous products mentioned in this thread. I do not mean to denigrate any of them, but if you want certain results I believe you need to contact a product with some 40 years of legetimacy.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:38 PM   #14
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

CockyCash: 401
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
If you have never tried a preworkout before I would give that a shot as well. Probably a bad thing, but I cannot workout without a preworkout now... it's just not the same.
I've been looking at some of these, but wanted to avoid one with Caffeine (I drink enough coffee as is). I usually just take some Creatine before lifting, then just eat a little more afterwards (had a deluxe burrito today, scientifically engineered with sour cream). The ones I looked at had caffeine listed as an ingredient, but not the actual amount. How jacked does the stuff get you?
GoldenSpur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:58 AM   #15
Cockypantherfan
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSpur7 View Post
I've been looking at some of these, but wanted to avoid one with Caffeine (I drink enough coffee as is). I usually just take some Creatine before lifting, then just eat a little more afterwards (had a deluxe burrito today, scientifically engineered with sour cream). The ones I looked at had caffeine listed as an ingredient, but not the actual amount. How jacked does the stuff get you?
It really depends on the brand. I used to take some stuff that after 15-20 min if I wasn't lifting weights my skin would be crawling and I would feel super amped up. The kind I'm taking now (pre-surge) is much more subtle and is more of a mental boost. My advice would be read up on reviews and sample to see what fits you. C3 is one of the first ones I took and it worked well.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:14 AM   #16
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Quote:
WAXIMAX-C3G: Dramatically spikes insulin and floods muscle tissue with glycogen
Now that's a head scratcher...why would I want a huge insulin spike? It creates hypoglocemia and tells the body to store fat and then makes me tired and irritable. One serving is 48 grams of carbs and 10 grams of sugar. I should be able to get the same effect by eating a banana or apple.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #17
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Nothing wrong with simply eating more (healthy things), and staying hydrated. The gains you make will be slower, but will stick around longer. Nothing wrong with supplements, but you can get ripped without them. If you do wanna gain significant muscle more quickly, you'll need a bulking phase with much less cardio.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:05 AM   #18
mick66
Starter

Male

mick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPit

Here's a few suggestions based on many years of hard training ranging from lots of marathons and triathlons to years spent focusing on adding lean muscle mass:
1. I really like Ultragen for post-workout recovery. Very high-quality with nothing artificial in terms of colors/flavors.
2. Be careful with the pre-workout stuff. Some have really high levels of caffeine, and lots of add-on ingredients of questionable value.
3. Creatine helps.
4. Consider buying and mixing brown rice and pea proteins instead of whey. You get the complete amino acid profile you want without the fat, cholesterol and (in many) add-on ingredients.
5. Stay away from diuretics, particularly in the warmer months.
6. Buy a good juicer like an Omega and use it. It won't help you add muscle, but you'll be healthier which will likely mean you can train more consistently.
mick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #19
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

CockyCash: 401
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
Nothing wrong with simply eating more (healthy things), and staying hydrated. The gains you make will be slower, but will stick around longer. Nothing wrong with supplements, but you can get ripped without them. If you do wanna gain significant muscle more quickly, you'll need a bulking phase with much less cardio.
And squats/deadlifts wouldn't hurt (so to speak) either. Best way to get more mass is to lift more than you weigh.
GoldenSpur7 is offline   Reply With Quote