CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
StormOfTalons
b381l
GarnetBlack&Blue
2000grad
JerseyBird
gromweat
Acockolypse Now
NinjaSven
WeStill0wnUSC
Ahmad
Nick Chubb (6385)
Spurrier Presser (2193)
Spurrier: Davis Will (1704)
Cack's Toast of the (1703)
Rankings (1512)
3-4 "D" Ke (1347)
Update: Brison Willi (1316)
Will Devin ever suit (1099)
Over reacting? (526)
New to Cockytalk... (411)
Why won't Spurrier implem
No Fun League Strikes Aga
Cack's Toast of the Game:
2015 Commitment - Shameik
All of our defensive play
Uniform thread
Keeping 2015 together!
Baseball Recruiting Threa
Update: Brison Williams i
Spurrier Presser

Old 03-07-2014, 10:13 PM   #1
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

CockyCash: 26000805
RGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to RGHoskins
Default Quitting Smoking.

It f---ing sucks. Today is day 8 and for whatever reason it's the hardest day yet. I keep telling myself that tomorrow can be day 9 or it can be day 1 and so far I'm not willing to let go of over a week without cigarettes, but damnit this sucks. I don't like to lose and if I did give in I'd feel like a failure but f********ck I'm looking forward to not feeling like this anymore. 20 years is hard to let go of in a little over a week.

- Rick H-

Rest in Peace Jaymie, aka Feistyminx and C- Girl.
RGHoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:23 PM   #2
acejrock
Rockington

Male

CockyCash: 28000000
acejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to acejrock Send a message via Yahoo to acejrock
Default Re: Quitting Smoking.

Are you doing it cold turkey or patch or what?
acejrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:23 PM   #3
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Are using the patch or pill?

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:23 PM   #4
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

RGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot material

Nope. Just quitting.

- Rick H-

Old 03-07-2014, 10:26 PM   #5
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Using patch or pill has been shown to be more effective. I quit a thousand times until I used the patch. I wore them fo r6 weeks. Gave me time to deal with the social parts and the constant hand to mouth routine. It will be 21 years this May 25.

Order Of The Spur
Old 03-07-2014, 10:26 PM   #6
acejrock
Rockington

Male

CockyCash: 28000000
acejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to acejrock Send a message via Yahoo to acejrock

If you are on day 8 with no patch or pill you are past the nicotine part.. now you have to break that habit.

Like Yancey said the oral fixation/hand to mouth part sucks.
acejrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:30 PM   #7
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
Using patch or pill has been shown to be more effective. I quit a thousand times until I used the patch. I wore them fo r6 weeks. Gave me time to deal with the social parts and the constant hand to mouth routine. It will be 21 years this May 25.
I know what you mean and I appreciate the insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejrock View Post
If you are on day 8 with no patch or pill you are past the nicotine part.. now you have to break that habit.

Like Yancey said the oral fixation/hand to mouth part sucks.
Yup. That's what I have to beat. I'm holing myself up in my house for a few weeks and riding this out. I just don't know what's so different about tonight. Maybe because it's the first Friday that not smoking isn't a novelty.

- Rick H-

Old 03-07-2014, 11:00 PM   #8
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Hang in there. My wife quit about 3 months ago. Cold Turkey. She pretty much did what you did. Just holed up when she got the craving.

She's doing pretty well now but it was a rough month or two. But whenever she get's stressed she says all she wants to do is smoke.

That is one habit I am glad I never picked up.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:05 PM   #9
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
Hang in there. My wife quit about 3 months ago. Cold Turkey. She pretty much did what you did. Just holed up when she got the craving.

She's doing pretty well now but it was a rough month or two. But whenever she get's stressed she says all she wants to do is smoke.

That is one habit I am glad I never picked up.
I think I get what she was going through. I'm in sales and week 1 is "Wind in the sales" (stupid, I know). I had a very very good week, but that doesn't reduce the stress I guess. I just need to learn to adapt to situations without that crutch. Good luck to your wife, as well.

- Rick H-

Old 03-07-2014, 11:14 PM   #10
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

It f'n sucks, that's all there is to it. Be strong man. A few things to think about.. Are you going to continue allowing big tobacco to control your life, or are you going to take it back? Are you going to allow them to hold you prisoner, or are you going to bitch slap their gatekeeper and march on down the road? Are you going to continue emptying your pockets at $4 a pack, contributing to their riches while they slowly kill you? Hell no! F big tobacco! You're not their slave. It isn't easy, no, but it's worth the pure hell you're experiencing now man. IT WILL PASS. Best wishes.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:16 PM   #11
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4466416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

I quit cold turkey almost 6 years ago. I don't drink near as much anymore either because I stopped going out because for years a beer went in one hand and a cigarette in the other
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:19 PM   #12
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
I quit cold turkey almost 6 years ago. I don't drink near as much anymore either because I stopped going out because for years a beer went in one hand and a cigarette in the other
I quit drinking hard liquor in January, lol. It would be easy to argue that this is too much too soon, but once it's done, it's done.

- Rick H-

Old 03-07-2014, 11:32 PM   #13
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Good luck to you. I smoked back in my late teens and early twenties. I tried quitting a few times because my girlfriend (wife now) absolutely hated it and wanted me to quit. I would go a few days and be ok, then something would happen (go out to the bar, stress from work, etc) that would get me to start back up again. It wasn't until I was truly ready to quit for myself that I was able to quit. I quit cold turkey and the worst time for me was week #2. That week was the worst for my cravings. After that it got easier and easier. It's been almost 8 years that I quit.

Again, good luck to you. I know it's hard, but stay the course.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:40 PM   #14
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark550 View Post
Good luck to you. I smoked back in my late teens and early twenties. I tried quitting a few times because my girlfriend (wife now) absolutely hated it and wanted me to quit. I would go a few days and be ok, then something would happen (go out to the bar, stress from work, etc) that would get me to start back up again. It wasn't until I was truly ready to quit for myself that I was able to quit. I quit cold turkey and the worst time for me was week #2. That week was the worst for my cravings. After that it got easier and easier. It's been almost 8 years that I quit.

Again, good luck to you. I know it's hard, but stay the course.
Thank you! This is the first day of week 2 and I was under the impression the worst was over. I can take it if there's a deadline on it getting harder and I know I'm still going uphill.

- Rick H-

Old 03-07-2014, 11:46 PM   #15
GamecockMomSC
Sweet Carolina Girl

Female

CockyCash: 101194810
GamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot material

You are doing great!
GamecockMomSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:51 PM   #16
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGHoskins View Post
Thank you! This is the first day of week 2 and I was under the impression the worst was over. I can take it if there's a deadline on it getting harder and I know I'm still going uphill.
Maybe the worst is over for you and I hope it is. That was just my experience. I'm sure it's different for everyone.

I will say that in the month after I quit, I think I single-handily kept Wrigley's in business. I was chewing that spearmint gum like it was going out of style.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:53 PM   #17
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark550 View Post
Maybe the worst is over for you and I hope it is. That was just my experience. I'm sure it's different for everyone.

I will say that in the month after I quit, I think I single-handily kept Wrigley's in business. I was chewing that spearmint gum like it was going out of style.
Thanks man. I'm just gonna hop on the elliptical instead.

- Rick H-

Old 03-08-2014, 01:51 AM   #18
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Dude, very proud of you.

Keep it up!
Old 03-08-2014, 02:14 AM   #19
COCKYWOOD
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 800
COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

Buy some cloves and give them a try. Worked for my dad after 30 years of cigs. They last a long time and help with urges. Good Luck!
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:30 AM   #20
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKYWOOD View Post
Buy some cloves and give them a try. Worked for my dad after 30 years of cigs. They last a long time and help with urges. Good Luck!
Recent research has shown that clove cigs cause quite a bit of liver damage.

Order Of The Spur