CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
USC_21
JDJones
b381l
WeStillOwnUSC
kingofnerf
gamecockgal
Cockypantherfan
kick_ball
SanAntonioCock
10 years since " (2079)
Sidney Rice is havin (1578)
Why the hesitance to (1096)
Should UNC get death (480)
2014 Charleston Clas (457)
BJ Mckie (449)
Getting Back on Trac (344)
Hospitality Area? (318)
Cocky cloth towels (277)
Challenge to or revi (246)
2014 Charleston Classic *
2015 Defensive Line
Micheal Shumacher Fightin
2015 Commitment - Dexter
Dragon Age Origins free!
Should UNC get death pena
Family, Faith, and Gameco
How many??
Lineup Changes (Offense)
weekend conference Predic

Old 03-08-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material
Default How screwed is my PC?

I booted up went straight to Chrome, while loading everything froze. I waited, but it didn't clear up. I had to restart, but when I did. my monitor got "NO SIGNAL" I tried the computer with THIS monitor that I am now using with a lesser PC, "no signal." I tried switching from my video card to the VGA on my motherboard, "no signal." I tried the monitor with another computer, it works. Now I am just wonder which is fried? My motherboard? my hard drive? My video card? Or all of the above. The power still comes on and sounds like it usually does. I'am guessing hoping it is not the hard drive. What do you all think?
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #2
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: How screwed is my PC?

If your hard drive was bad you should still get a bios screen when you boot your computer up. Try taking your video card out and all of the ram except one stick and then boot it up with the on board video and see what happens.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #3
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Did you try going into the Bios (I think it's F12 key......when you first get the splash screen upon turning on the PC start tapping the F12 key).

I guess I should first ask what make is your PC? I have a Dell, and typing F12 for me goes into Bios diagnostics where there is a diagnostics screen. Sort of looks like your typical Device Manager directory. There I can run diagnostics - either a standard quick diagnositc, or a custom diagnostic that lets you individually test each component of the PC - video card, network card, monitor, hard drive, bus ports, etc. etc. Does your PC have that?

Edit: crap actually read your OP this time, lol. You won't know what you're looking at if you can't get a monitor signal. SOunds like the video card if you can't get a video signal on any monitor...
ConwayGamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #4
MB_Gamecock
Mudda Fricka

Male

CockyCash: 810886789
MB_Gamecock is USC mascot materialMB_Gamecock is USC mascot materialMB_Gamecock is USC mascot materialMB_Gamecock is USC mascot materialMB_Gamecock is USC mascot materialMB_Gamecock is USC mascot materialMB_Gamecock is USC mascot materialMB_Gamecock is USC mascot materialMB_Gamecock is USC mascot materialMB_Gamecock is USC mascot materialMB_Gamecock is USC mascot material

Does the processor fan come on when you power it up or just the fan in the power supply?

And you have to remove the video card to use the onboard vga. Otherwise, you will get no signal.
MB_Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #5
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Hmm. You don't get a signal from either a stand alone video card or the built in adaptor on the MB?

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:44 PM   #6
TheMule
Br Ba

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
TheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to TheMule

Unplug the power cord and hold the power button for one minute. This is a reset that dissipates static. Power it up. If that doesn't work take out the memory and power it up. If there are no beeps the mobo is likely gone. Even if you get no beeps with the memory out try reseating all cables, power, video, pci devices, etc.

gt
Here's to you, Feisty and Spurd&Fthrd.
TheMule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:46 PM   #7
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

I'm working to see if something was loose.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:47 PM   #8
Cockadoo
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
Cockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPit

If it boots up and the HD light flickers as usual then the CPU and HD are probably fine. The only thing left would be the video card. RAM problems will blue screen you. Did you remove your video card when you tried the onboard video? If not, the comp will still try to send the signal to the vga card because the onboard video is probably disabled in your bios.

A lot of the times with VGA issues you will get a beep when you turn the comp on and there will be no screen. But that doesn't always happen.

Cockadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:39 PM   #9
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Everything is working, thank goodness! It seems it just needed have a soft reset after a power up. smh. And here I was switching out graphics cards and unplugging and plugging things. Feel a little silly. Thanks for all the feedback.