CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
FurmanCock
Cockhornleghorn
Gamecocks1137
Master Bedroom
Copperhead
sanford
ConwayGamecock
b381l
gamecockgal
Venables to TAMU? (4059)
Vegas line moving on (2896)
2014 Junkanoo Jam ** (2678)
Phil Kronblut show (1383)
Arkansas... (1296)
Women's Soccer Elite (1010)
End of the aTm / LSU (910)
Anyone know what thi (824)
Have we been favored (709)
marshall/WKU (314)
Arkansas...
2014 Junkanoo Jam **USC W
Texans getting frustrated
Vegas line moving on game
Tailgating tomorrow for t
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLINA @ C
Venables to TAMU?
Clemson fans
Constant Updates on Watso
Women's Soccer Elite Eigh

View Poll Results: Best Hair Band Tournament
Seed #4: CINDERELLA 14 46.67%
Seed #5: BON JOVI 16 53.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-2014, 06:21 AM   #1
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material
Default BEST HAIR BAND TOURNAMENT ROUND 2: Cinderella (#4) vs Bon Jovi (#5)

Vote for your favorite between these two bands

CINDERELLA

BON JOVI

Old 03-17-2014, 06:38 AM   #2
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material
Default Re: BEST HAIR BAND TOURNAMENT ROUND 2: Cinderella (#4) vs Bon Jovi (#5)

Toughest choice for me so for in the tournament. I had both these bands
on my nominations list, and both were listed in the top 5 by priority. I
loved the music and live shows by both these bands. Cinderella was a band
that was CLEARLY an act you could define as "Hair Band / Hair Metal ...."
But they were the best at it of any of those 80s bands that jumped on
that bandwagon. Loved the energy and sound that they put out there. Not
overly "cartoonish" with their music. They had a bluesy style to most of
their hits, and the music they played on stage often covered some classic
Blues and Rock tunes from other great artists.

Bon Jovi was an anomaly as a band for my taste. I wasn't really that crazy
about the majority of their stuff, but what you heard on the Radio and
MTV (the hits they produced) were good solid songs with a BITE ! IMO,
they matured well. In a couple of years their music became more of what
you'd define as Serious Rock n Roll and in their latter days, what they had
become was not what I'd call "Hair / Glam / Bubblegum Metal" etc....
However, the stuff they recorded and did live early, the stuff that made
them a NAME, was more in line with that style / genre. As their career
winded down (in their prime), and you looked back at what they'd done,
it was clear that they were a FORCE in the 80s regardless of what
niche you wanted to put them in.

Really tough pick here, BUT

My top pick on my priority list of nominations, and my favorite Hair Band
of the 80s was Cinderella. I'm sticking with that priority here. I hate to
vote against Bon Jovi, but I can't vote against Cinderella.

CINDERELLA gets the vote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:47 AM   #3
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 26222586
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

I voted Cinderella since that's who I'd rather listen to. But Bon Jovi's body of work is incredibly impressive. Hit after hit after hit after hit.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:56 AM   #4
JerseyBird
Fuggedaboudit

Male

CockyCash: 1000
JerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot material

Despite being from NJ (or at least living here since age 8), I'm not really a huge BJ (or {gasp!} Bruce) fan, plus like you said I think Cinderella fits the Hair Metal category better. Plus Cinderella was really good, although as I've stated that's not necessarily the top criteria here ;-)

So Cinderella for me
Old 03-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #5
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Cindarella was good.

But I voted for Bon Jovi. They cranked out some hits and have stood the test of time IMO.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:57 AM   #6
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBird View Post
Despite being from NJ (or at least living here since age 8), I'm not really a huge BJ (or {gasp!} Bruce) fan, plus like you said I think Cinderella fits the Hair Metal category better. Plus Cinderella was really good, although as I've stated that's not necessarily the top criteria here ;-)

So Cinderella for me
Never heard anyone say that before...
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:04 AM   #7
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
If that was a joke then

If it wasn't, I can tell you that I've met more than a few people who aren't
big fans of Springsteen either. I didn't really care for him too much, but I
do think the guy was a brilliant song writer. His Live shows to me were
a lot like The Doors. Just way too much of a Dark / BLAH kind of mood around
his performances. He was "OK", but he was no where as good as the critics
and media made him out to be.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #8
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

I know Cinderella's going to lose this one, but they shouldn't. Cinderella was a more talented band in every respect but one: they didn't write radio-friendly hits or smooth out their sound once the hair metal craze waned.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:49 PM   #9
JerseyBird
Fuggedaboudit

Male

JerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
Guessing that has more to do with my using initials instead of the full name - behave!
Old 03-17-2014, 03:47 PM   #10
Transmaniacon
Any Major Dude

Male

CockyCash: 500
Transmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot material

I voted for Jovi, even though it felt a little wrong. I just think they are a better band. Better writing, better musicians, and "Wanted Dead or Alive" still gets to me. And, the drummer is named Tico Torres (or something like that). I awarded 5 points for that alone. Cindarella was pretty good, though.
Transmaniacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:09 PM   #11
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 113804578
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

I voted for Cinderella.

I just don't see Bon Jovi as a hair metal band even though I thought at their best they were stronger than Cinderella.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:25 PM   #12
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBird View Post
Guessing that has more to do with my using initials instead of the full name - behave!

it was about the use of initials...and it was a joke...I couldn't resist

But on the subject, I voted for Cinderella. I think they fit the Hair Metal idea more than Bon Jovi. And I think Cinderella could have lasted if it wasn't for the lead singer's voice.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:48 AM   #13
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

A little piece of trivia for you guys..

"Cinderella got their big break when Jon Bon Jovi saw them perform at the Empire Rock Club in Philadelphia and recommended that his A&R rep Derek Shulman who knew of the band, see them too."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinderella_(band)

Check out the cameo at the end..
Old 03-18-2014, 02:54 PM   #14
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Agree with Spurt. Toughest one for me. Both bands were solid. Bon Jovi has incredible longevity. Cinderella one of my favorite of all time. However, hard to pick against Bon Jovi. Like them or not, they have some good stuff. Going with Cinderella solely because they rank a little higher as a hair band. Hard to vote against Bon Jovi though.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #15
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockholio View Post
A little piece of trivia for you guys..

"Cinderella got their big break when Jon Bon Jovi saw them perform at the Empire Rock Club in Philadelphia and recommended that his A&R rep Derek Shulman who knew of the band, see them too."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinderella_(band)

Check out the cameo at the end..
^
I said to myself Sunday night to make sure to include this in the discussion
thread after posting the matchup, but completely forgot about that until
you mentioned it here. It was Bon Jovi who gave Cinderella their big break
in the industry. Interesting side note for this matchup !

Old 03-19-2014, 12:30 PM   #16
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

BJ has some decent stuff, but Cinderella was an easy choice for me this round.

Gaichon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:50 AM   #17
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

BON JOVI wins a close contest and moves on to the third round.

The next matchup of Round Two will be posted early Monday Morning
around 6:am
Old 03-24-2014, 07:15 PM   #18
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

I like Bon Jovi. However, this seals it for me. I'm not voting in any other threads but one. Cinderella didn't deserve to lose this.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:07 PM   #19
Transmaniacon
Any Major Dude

Male

Transmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot material

^That's a little dramatic, you think? No one "deserves" any particular level of popularity on Cockytalk. It' just a poll. I think better bands than Cindarella didn't even make the tournament, but it's nothing to get worked up about. Plus, everyone knows GnR is gonna win. If Jovi beats GnR, I may change my stance and join your insurgency.
Transmaniacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:24 PM   #20
JerseyBird
Fuggedaboudit

Male

Hair Metal Insurgency would be an excellent name for band that you would think rocks out but actually plays like polka or something