CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
smoovecock
803scdantes
Sandstorm29
b381l
CoverTwo
rioninusc
Lonnie
The Yancey
gamecockphan
cockybreeyan
The Vent and Coachin (4963)
Disturbing comments (2419)
Gerald Turner (2164)
does anybody think w (2002)
2015 schedule is bru (1368)
UF lets Durkin go (1311)
2015 Early Enrollees (1036)
Bobo to Colorado St? (528)
The U ends apparel d (527)
Women's bb result - (364)
The Vent and Coaching cha
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Spurrier Says "It Wa
UF lets Durkin go
2015 schedule is brutal
SOS...a day late & do
2015 Early Enrollees Thre
does anybody think we wil
Gerald Turner
S & F article on Mich

Old 03-21-2014, 06:41 PM   #1
GregoryHouse
FB = Greeb Oval

Male

CockyCash: 30400
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material
Default I agree with Nick Saban Somewhat

http://tracking.si.com/2014/03/21/ni...n-nfl-combine/
Quote:
Alabama coach Nick Saban has an idea on how the NFL could reduce the record number of college underclassmen declaring for the draft — and it involves big changes for the NFL Combine.

Saban told SiriusXM NFL radio host Phil Savage the NFL should allow underclassmen to perform at its annual predraft scouting combine prior to deciding whether to turn pro early. Saban, whose resume includes stops as an NFL assistant coach and a term as head coach of the Dolphins, said the opportunity would provide a reality check for many underclassmen who give up their college eligibility too soon.

A record 98 underclassmen have declared for this year’s NFL draft. Saban believes the league could also reverse that trend by limiting NFL Combine invitations to players evaluated to be third-round picks or higher.
“The way it’s going right now, I don’t think the NFL really wants all these guys coming out for the draft. They know they can develop better in college if they stay and play more, unless they’re going to be high draft picks,” Saban said. “It’s difficult for them to develop players the way they practice now, so if a player’s not a high pick, it’s much more difficult for them to develop as an NFL player. I even made the point that if we’re not going to do something like (an underclassman combine), maybe if a guy doesn’t have at least a top-three-round grade, you don’t even invite him to the combine.”
Saban’s third-round prospect cutoff would reduce the more than 300 players who participated in this year’s combine by about two thirds — a number the four-time national championship coach believes is more realistic for underclassmen with delusions of NFL grandeur.
I don't think they should reduce the amount of players they invite to the NFL combine but I totally agree that the players should be able to participate in a "mini" combine to get an more thorough evaluation comparing straight measurements against their peers. The underclassmen who participate in the mini combine could then have the option of continuing with their eligibility.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:49 PM   #2
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material
Default Re: I agree with Nick Saban Somewhat

Saban is right on this, give them a chance to have enough information at hand so they can make an informed decision. As long as they retain amateur status as defined by the NCAA this is a great idea.
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:07 PM   #3
rioninusc
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Great Idea Saban. I disagree with the third round and up only though. I think it should be who they would normally invite that were underclassmen to this pre-combine. Might even add in a couple of border players that potentially can go higher. Now get them graded, and scored at the pre- combine. If they are potential top 3 round pick then let them go to the normal combine that would be called the Final combine, or Combine. Of course the pre-combine should be underclassmen only.
rioninusc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:50 PM   #4
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

It could save some guys from making decisions based off of nothing more than what some agent's runner has told them.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
roosterdude21
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1999829275
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

Agreed
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:04 AM   #6
CockyCody
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 50
CockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talons

Looks like Nick Satan may have got this one right!
CockyCody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:37 AM   #7
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Saban is Napoleon. That is all.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #8
justalilcocky
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
justalilcocky is developing his combjustalilcocky is developing his combjustalilcocky is developing his combjustalilcocky is developing his combjustalilcocky is developing his combjustalilcocky is developing his combjustalilcocky is developing his combjustalilcocky is developing his comb
Send a message via AIM to justalilcocky

I think the NBA used to do this as well..they have a pre-draft camp in Chicago and underclassmen were allowed to play in it before they had to declare. I think it would be a good idea for the NFL too.
justalilcocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #9
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

They could have NFL teams meet and have a "draft" for the combine. 2 rounds, and the only players you choose are those that have college eligibility remaining but who are eligible for the draft. Teams have the option of not selecting anyone. That means only 64 underclass man will get invites to the combine. This is not a draft to place players on teams, just one for NFL to teams select which players they would like to see at the combine who are underclass an. The NFL would still extend as many invitations as it would like to graduating players.

Also this "draft" would be anonymous. The list of players selected is released in alphabetical order and it doesn't say which teams picked them.

Last edited by sandstorm2001; 03-22-2014 at 03:50 PM.
sandstorm2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:37 PM   #10
35-21
The Thickened Chicken

Male

CockyCash: 200
35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly

Saban may be on to something here.

I have always thought that the system that is in place is kind of inefficient. Why not let the colleges have their pro days (adjust spring practice restrictions) from late February through March, then send out grades and combine invites based on that (holding the combine the first week of May)?
35-21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:14 PM   #11
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

It's a great idea in theory. Practically speaking, how would these players afford their training before the combine at the elite camps as they do now. That's expensive sh$t and would require the $ an agent or endorsement would give.

That's the only negative I see. I personally agree with the sentiment though.

Last edited by catdaddy66; 03-22-2014 at 03:46 PM.
catdaddy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:19 PM   #12
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

The problem is travel costs. I don't think players, who are still technically amateurs, would be allowed to receive room, food, and travel costs for the trip. Saban's idea would work well for Alabama, where there are lots of wealthy boosters who know how to get money to their team's players. I don't think South Carolina's players, who try to comply with the NCAA rules, would be able to take advantage of the early camp idea as easily as 'Bamas.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #13
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35-21 View Post
Saban may be on to something here.

I have always thought that the system that is in place is kind of inefficient. Why not let the colleges have their pro days (adjust spring practice restrictions) from late February through March, then send out grades and combine invites based on that (holding the combine the first week of May)?
Who decides who gets the invites? The league or the teams? Would this require every NFL team to have a scout present for EVERY pro day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy66 View Post
It's a great idea in theory. Practically speaking, how would these players afford their traing before he combine at the elite camps as they do now. That's expensive sh$t and would require the $ an agent or endorsement would give.

That's the only negative I see. I personally agree with the sentiment though.
Could play into recruiting with college programs hiring conditioning coaches that specialize in preparing for this sort of thing so the kids don't have to get the money to go to one of those camps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
The problem is travel costs. I don't think players, who are still technically amateurs, would be allowed to receive room, food, and travel costs for the trip. Saban's idea would work well for Alabama, where there are lots of wealthy boosters who know how to get money to their team's players. I don't think South Carolina's players, who try to comply with the NCAA rules, would be able to take advantage of the early camp idea as easily as 'Bamas.
You don't know any more about what goes on behind the scenes at Bama than you do what goes on behind the scenes at Carolina. I would be surprised if either of us are squeaky clean.

My solution for this would be allowing the schools some kind of travel budget to take their players that get invited to the combine up there for the day or two they are competing, the same way schools are able to take their kids on bowl trips, etc. The kids somehow get to awards ceremonies and the ESPYs and trips to be interviewed on ESPN, etc. I don't really see how this would be any different.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:54 PM   #14
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
They could have NFL teams meet and have a "draft" for the combine. 2 rounds, and the only players you choose are those that have college eligibility remaining but who are eligible for the draft. Teams have the option of not selecting anyone. That means only 64 underclass man will get invites to the combine. This is not a draft to place players on teams, just one for NFL to teams select which players they would like to see at the combine who are underclass an. The NFL would still extend as many invitations as it would like to graduating players.

Also this "draft" would be anonymous. The list of players selected is released in alphabetical order and it doesn't say which teams picked them.
Other people are giving timelines for things, so I just wanted to add that this "draft" would take place following the end of the regular season, before the deadline to declare for the draft. It would give players a really good idea of how they are perceived by the NFL prior to making the decision to stay or go. You can still leave early if you aren't selected for a combine invite, you'll just have to keep in mind that you won't have that opportunity to increase your stock, and you're already in the third round of a draft that doesn't even include upperclassman.