CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
bcolinc
ConwayGamecock
Latti
Gamecocks1137
usc1
kingofnerf
FanofCarolina1
Storm Of Spurs
carcosa
**USC vs. Clemson GA (5661)
looks like we have 2 (2025)
Decommitment from Te (940)
Beat Miami (823)
Duck Bowl Depth Char (661)
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBA (644)
Cleveland Browns Hea (627)
Garcia and Clemsux T (613)
Need a dog kennel (249)
NCAAB: CLEMSON @ SOU (179)
Previewing Clemson
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
The Vent and Coaching cha
How Long Will The Rebuild
So, why is next year goin
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBALL PL
2015 - Mark Fields
Duck Bowl Depth Chart
Four USC Basketball Games
looks like we have 2 OL r

Old 03-27-2014, 11:10 PM   #1
Thenardier
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material
Default Sir Big Spur Question

Was watching highlights of the beating SC gave Clemson and noticed Sir Big Spur's moniker "Most involved mascot in Sports", or something along those lines, I was wondering how he got it.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:34 PM   #2
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material
Default Re: Sir Big Spur Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
Was watching highlights of the beating SC gave Clemson and noticed Sir Big Spur's moniker "Most involved mascot in Sports", or something along those lines, I was wondering how he got it.
I think it is a shot at Uga, mike, and the eagle, but mostly the ice loving, doghouse seeking Uga.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:04 AM   #3
ccured
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4058916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Because he is home football game and baseball game? Don't believe your eagle flies at baseball games. I have never heard that before
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #4
pastorsheehan
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
pastorsheehan is learning to peckpastorsheehan is learning to peck

Question: I have a game roosters. The ones I have raised have bright red "cones" on top of their heads. Anyone know why Sir Big Spur has no red cone on top? Just asking.
pastorsheehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #5
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorsheehan View Post
Question: I have a game roosters. The ones I have raised have bright red "cones" on top of their heads. Anyone know why Sir Big Spur has no red cone on top? Just asking.
Those are "combs", and under the beak is a "waddle". Different breeds of chickens have different styles of combs and waddles. The warmer climate has chickens with larger combs and cold weather birds have more compact and lower profile combs so the risk of frost bite is reduced. A chauntacleer is a breed popular in colder climates because of the smaller surface area reduces the risk of frost bite. I can't name them all but I believe there are at least 8-10 styles of combs...
Old 03-28-2014, 01:04 PM   #6
CockyATO
Flipping Recruits

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
CockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talons

I believe its because hes not a university sanctioned mascot, but we have adopted him as "official". They call him the most involved mascot in sports because he isnt the official mascot, but he does still do a lot of the community events that Cocky does.

Can't cite anything here, just my understanding from "working" with Cocky while in school.

Another N00k production
CockyATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
pastorsheehan
Walk On

Male

pastorsheehan is learning to peckpastorsheehan is learning to peck

Thank You for the info! Excellent info. Sorry about the cone versus the comb error...appreciate the clarification. GO GAMECOCKS!! GO COCKY!
pastorsheehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:21 PM   #8
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

Because he is just that cool.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:32 PM   #9
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

It's because he's pretty much at EVERY event he can attend - football, basketball, baseball, softball, track, tennis, soccer, etc. Let's be honest...I don't see LSU taking Mike on the road. I don't see Auburn taking their Eagle on the road. UGa, yeah he goes for football but that's about it.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:35 PM   #10
Eutaw Kid
4-Star

Male

Eutaw Kid is developing his combEutaw Kid is developing his combEutaw Kid is developing his combEutaw Kid is developing his combEutaw Kid is developing his combEutaw Kid is developing his combEutaw Kid is developing his combEutaw Kid is developing his combEutaw Kid is developing his comb

I had the pleasure of meeting and talking with Sir Big Spur's handler at a baseball game recently. He spends a lot of his personal time taking our mascot to all those games and deserves a huge "THANKS"!! By the way, he told me Big Spur's travel buggy is getting a complete makeover this year by the USC engineering department, more modernized!
Eutaw Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:55 PM   #11
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 106687138593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
It's because he's pretty much at EVERY event he can attend - football, basketball, baseball, softball, track, tennis, soccer, etc. Let's be honest...I don't see LSU taking Mike on the road. I don't see Auburn taking their Eagle on the road. UGa, yeah he goes for football but that's about it.
Sir Big Spur doesn't go to basketball, tennis, track or really anything except football and baseball. I have gone to almost every sporting event for the past 4 years and I have yet to see him outside of football or baseball
Old 03-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #12
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 106687138593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eutaw Kid View Post
I had the pleasure of meeting and talking with Sir Big Spur's handler at a baseball game recently. He spends a lot of his personal time taking our mascot to all those games and deserves a huge "THANKS"!! By the way, he told me Big Spur's travel buggy is getting a complete makeover this year by the USC engineering department, more modernized!
I am in the class that is making it for him. It is going to be tank style and might even have an led screen on the sides. I'm on a different project but I've seen them building the thing all year
Old 03-28-2014, 03:42 PM   #13
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 997672
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy66 View Post
Those are "combs", and under the beak is a "waddle". Different breeds of chickens have different styles of combs and waddles. The warmer climate has chickens with larger combs and cold weather birds have more compact and lower profile combs so the risk of frost bite is reduced. A chauntacleer is a breed popular in colder climates because of the smaller surface area reduces the risk of frost bite. I can't name them all but I believe there are at least 8-10 styles of combs...
Don't they also trim them off like that for fighting purposes? At least that's what I was told by a guy who claims to have fighting roosters.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:49 PM   #14
Thenardier
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
He did fly at the Olympics though.

Edit: Auburn's War Eagle used to much more freely used, unti he attacked an UF football player back in the 70s.

Last edited by Thenardier; 03-28-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #15
Cocked & Locked
4-Star

Male

Cocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudly

Quote:

Edit: Auburn's War Eagle used to much more freely used, unti he attacked an UF football player back in the 70s.
And who on Cockytalk cares about your Eagle? Sir Big Spur would kick some eagle ass if you ever brought that mangy bird to Williams Brice!!!

Cocked & Locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:29 PM   #16
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
Don't they also trim them off like that for fighting purposes? At least that's what I was told by a guy who claims to have fighting roosters.
I'm not sure about preparation for cockfighting but it would make sense. Injuries to the comb can be fatal.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:58 PM   #17
SanAntonioCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 202732
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

Quote:

I wonder if they know about this on the Auburn message boards.

Never forget the "y" ...and so forth.
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:47 PM   #18
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

CockyCash: 399
AikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AikenRooster

Our mascot is probably the most involved mascot in all sports, if you include tailgating. Bevo and The Hog come in 2nd and 3rd, with The Hokie 4th, eaten only in November. Tigers,eagles, dogs, and Seamen not as involved, although Cats might be at Chinese food tailgates? !?!
Old 03-28-2014, 11:00 PM   #19
SanAntonioCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 202732
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

"The difference between involved and committed is like the difference btwren ham and eggs. The chicken is involved and the pig is committed." ~ Martina Navitarola

Never forget the "y" ...and so forth.
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:36 PM   #20
fridayserv
4-Star

Male

fridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervous

Sir Big Spur owner remove the comb by choice. Sports illustrated ran a article on College Sports best live mascots. Read it here
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.5.html
On April 14 Sir Big Spur will be in Myrtle Beach for the Monday after the Masters Golf Tournament, Then in April has 5 stops with Carolina Fanfest. Sir Big Spur was just given a proclamation by the State of South Carolina for all the charity and sports events attended each year.
fridayserv is offline   Reply With Quote