CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
bcolinc
ConwayGamecock
Latti
Gamecocks1137
usc1
kingofnerf
FanofCarolina1
Storm Of Spurs
carcosa
**USC vs. Clemson GA (5888)
Decommitment from Te (993)
Beat Miami (861)
Duck Bowl Depth Char (751)
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBA (682)
Cleveland Browns Hea (657)
Garcia and Clemsux T (642)
Need a dog kennel (268)
Four USC Basketball (232)
NCAAB: CLEMSON @ SOU (207)
The Vent and Coaching cha
looks like we have 2 OL r
Duck Bowl Depth Chart
Previewing Clemson
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
How Long Will The Rebuild
So, why is next year goin
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBALL PL
2015 - Mark Fields
Four USC Basketball Games

Old 03-28-2014, 07:21 PM   #1
GregoryHouse
FB = Greeb Oval

Male

CockyCash: 30400
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material
Default 4-year-old dies after mauling by family's 130 lb. dog

http://www.wistv.com/story/25077600/...ampaign=buffer

Quote:
HOUMA, LA (WAFB) -
Authorities said a child is dead and her mother is in the hospital after their dog attacked them Tuesday.

A four-year-old girl died Tuesday night after she was attacked by a dog named Niko, according to the Houma Police Department.

The attack happened around 7 p.m. at a residence in the Highland Apartment Complex. The girl has been identified as Mia DeRouen.

Police say the 2-year-old, 130-pound dog attacked DeRouen inside an apartment. When her mother, 27-year-old Megan Touchet fought the dog off her child, the dog attacked her, too.

Touchet was able to get away from the animal and barricade herself in a bedroom where she screamed for help. She was able to hand over the little girl through a window to medical personnel. Touchet suffered moderate injuries and was released from the hospital.

Mia received facial and head injuries in the attack and was taken to Terrebonne General Medical Center, where she died. She would have celebrated her fifth birthday next week.

Officers on scene say the dog was running loose inside the apartment and acting in a vicious manner. Officers fired at least 10 shots at the animal, killing it.

Animal control officers removed a second dog, a female, from the residence. A police spokesperson said there are no indications that Niko was being abused or used for fighting. The female is currently being held at the Terrebonne Parish Animal Shelter and officers suspect she may be in heat.

Officers counselors will be available for the officers who responded to the scene, describing it as "horrific."

sad news
Old 03-28-2014, 07:27 PM   #2
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

CockyCash: 26000805
RGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to RGHoskins
Default Re: 4-year-old dies after mauling by family's 130 lb. dog

When are people going to learn to keep these dogs away from children?

- Rick H-

Rest in Peace Jaymie, aka Feistyminx and C- Girl.
RGHoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:50 PM   #3
CockLurker
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 7920
CockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGHoskins View Post
when are people going to learn to not put their kids in a car
when are people going to learn to not let their kids on a plane
when are people going to learn to only let their kids have liquid food
when are people going to learn to never let your kid outside

?
CockLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:02 PM   #4
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

RGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockLurker View Post
when are people going to learn to not put their kids in a car
when are people going to learn to not let their kids on a plane
when are people going to learn to only let their kids have liquid food
when are people going to learn to never let your kid outside

?
I'm unaware of any recent incidents where a car or a plane ate a child's face off until he or she died.

- Rick H-

Old 03-28-2014, 08:15 PM   #5
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGHoskins View Post
Very sad story. As a pitbull owner I agree that many pit owners do not realize the amount of responsibility and supervision necessary when you have dogs and kids. I don't think I would have pits if I had children, but I know lots of people who do and have never had any incidents. My dogs have never shown any aggression towards people, but I don't take it for granted that nothing could ever happen. From what I have heard the female dog was in heat and that is what set the male off.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:18 PM   #6
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp_vip View Post
Very sad story. As a pitbull owner I agree that many pit owners do not realize the amount of responsibility and supervision necessary when you have dogs and kids. I don't think I would have pits if I had children, but I know lots of people who do and have never had any incidents. My dogs have never shown any aggression towards people, but I don't take it for granted that nothing could ever happen. From what I have heard the female dog was in heat and that is what set the male off.
Exactly. I'm not at all saying the dogs are "mean" but they are very powerful and if they do snap, well, you get what happened here. Based on the article, there's no indication that this dog has ever shown any aggression either but a 4 year old certainly is dead.

- Rick H-

Old 03-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #7
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 1000995751
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Keep your dogs in check, remember we domesticated them, not the other way around.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:58 PM   #8
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 840000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Sorry but I would never have a viscous bred of dog around my kids. If you own a pit bull or similar dog and you have children, you are rolling the dice. Common sense goes a long way. My heart breaks for this poor child.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:05 PM   #9
TheMule
Br Ba

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
TheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to TheMule

My philosophy on dogs is to never have a dog that I can't physically overcome and kill it with my bare hands.

gt
Here's to you, Feisty and Spurd&Fthrd.
TheMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:13 PM   #10
GregoryHouse
FB = Greeb Oval

Male

CockyCash: 30400
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMule View Post
My philosophy on dogs is to never have a dog that I can't physically overcome and kill it with my bare hands.

You stole that quote from Mike Vick
Old 03-28-2014, 10:28 PM   #11
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Very sad. Always hate to hear things like this where a child cannot defend himself/herself.

Wasn't clear in the article, but it almost seemed that the child was left with the dog unsupervised. I don't know how a parent could leave their small child alone with a 130 pound dog.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:38 PM   #12
ccured
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4058916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
So wrong yet so funny
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:07 PM   #13
Master Bedroom
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

The worst part about these stories is it could have been avoided. It's similar to the way I feel about leaving a loaded weapon unattended around a child. You shouldn't have to be told not to leave any large animal around a child unattended. Also, 130 lbs is not normal for a pit bull terrier
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:10 PM   #14
Master Bedroom
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
Actually I think his quote was "I have yet to meet a dog that I can't physically overcome and kill with my bare hands"
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:55 AM   #15
GarnetSwarm1990
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudly

First of all. No true pitbull should EVER be 130 lbs. Shot 12 times to get it to go down......Hmmm that is by far not normal. That dog from the picture is an American Bully pitbull. They were crossed with bulldogs to get that thick stocky frame and to be more aggressive. Those are not true pitbulls. True pits weight anywhere between 35-70 lbs give or take a few for the biggest male dogs. Those Bully Pitbulls can weigh up to 150 lbs. They are too damn big and nobody can control an aggressive unpredictable dog that big.

By nature, pitbulls are not aggressive toward their owners. I know this for a fact, if you disagree feel free to do some research. When they were first being bread way back when, the owners would kill the dogs that would show aggression toward humans to get that out of the blood line. Properly bread and raised pits are some of the sweetest dogs on the planet.

That American Bully breed needs to be bread out. They are very unpredictable and dangerous because that is how the breeders wanted them to be. They can flip on a dime and are very, very strong. If you ever buy a pit pull people please do some research on the breeder and the dog, know which breed of pit you are getting.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:25 AM   #16
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

This happens in the UK at least a few times a year. Extremely sad and very avoidable. I wouldn't even blame it on the breed, but the dog itself. You must know your own dog, what it's capable of, especially if you have kids. My ex-wife got a dog when my son was 8. She got a female Staffie from the rescue center. As soon as I met this dog, I had absolutely no worries at all. The dog couldn't be any more good natured. However, that's not the case when dogs attack kids. In nearly all circumstances these dogs have a history of violence. Many dogs are simply intimidated by children. Look at Jack Russell's. A lot of their owners have to get rid of them as soon as they have children. Most of the owners are all to aware of what their dogs are capable of. It's sad that the innocent kids have to suffer, much like an irresponsible gun owner who leaves loaded guns laying around the house with kids milling about everyday. Same damn thing.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:16 AM   #17
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bedroom View Post
The worst part about these stories is it could have been avoided. It's similar to the way I feel about leaving a loaded weapon unattended around a child. You shouldn't have to be told not to leave any large animal around a child unattended. Also, 130 lbs is not normal for a pit bull terrier
Ha-ha. I was actually thinking if she had had a loaded weapon she could have saved her kid.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:16 AM   #18
ccured
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4058916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Like others have said that is not a normal pit bull. Pit bull is a catch all for four breeds or mix there of: American pitbull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier, and a bull terrier. None of those dogs come even top 80 pounds. That dog just doesn't look right. Bad breeding at its finest. Also just throwing this out as a public service announcement hypothyroidism can cause aggressive dogs. It is usually thought of in dogs at least 4 years old but it is on the rise in dogs that are only 1 and 1/2 to 2. It also on the rise because of bad breeding. If your dog behavior suddenly changes either way get it checked. Sad story here for sure. sorry for that family
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:59 AM   #19
GamecockInHell
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1007834
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

My ten year old 70 lb. (OK, she's fat and overweight) pit would tear the face off anyone that tried to hurt my 3 year old grandson. Or anyone that tried to come unwanted into our house. Other than that, she's just a 70 lb. lap dog.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:05 AM   #20
roosterdude21
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1999829275
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

Terrible

Even if the female dog was half the size of male, that's 200 lbs of animal living in an apartment, breeding. Why?! Good lord, clearly a child shouldn't be raised in a situation like that. It's Louisiana, plenty of land, go use your government stipend for a house with a yard

Last edited by roosterdude21; 03-29-2014 at 05:49 PM.
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote