CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
PageUSC
markp_vip
Gamecocks1137
ChickenButt
Ahmad
Cockypantherfan
eightohhthree
jrussjr
COCKYTALKIN
cocky-K
Legitimate, Unbiased (1571)
Antonio Allen vs Als (1552)
Cack's Toast of the (1404)
why we're in this po (1317)
Brawl at 49ers/Cardi (1278)
I guess we don't get (1119)
Pharoh Cooper is a s (1001)
open discussion of t (800)
Look who's at the bo (741)
Predict the Season ( (614)
Predict the Season (After
Waldrop & Williams
Making the Trip to Kentuc
Pharoh Cooper is a stud
Kendrick salley
Legitimate, Unbiased Opin
Acock's Wrap Up: Vandy
open discussion of this t
Dylan Thompson picked as
2015 Commitment - Dexter

Old 03-30-2014, 08:49 AM   #1
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

CockyCash: 399
AikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AikenRooster
Default Explain the SEC Network to me, please.

OK, the SEC Network will be a separate channel, like the B1G Network, right? How are they getting intra-conference games, when ESPN signed a 15 year deal with the SEC to carry all the intra-conference games, except the ones that CBS got?
But, lo and behold, the week 1 double-header(aTm @ USC is the first game) is on the SEC Network, and I've been getting e-mails from the SEC Network telling me that DirecTV doesn't have it, which is my provider.
Exactly who does have this? And is there a chance that DirecTV will end up not carrying it? Can they risk losing half of the Southeastern subscribers. I know I would pay the fee and go back to Dish Network, if I had to.

thanks.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:11 AM   #2
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material
Default Re: Explain the SEC Network to me, please.

ESPN is partners with the SEC and is running the SECN. So, ESPN can put a SEC game on it just like ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, etc. CBS gets first pick, but no longer has the exclusive right to their time window. Third tier games that were owned by the schools are now owned by ESPN to be broadcast.

as far as the rest, I don't know.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:34 AM   #3
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

What I'm confused about is are we people going to have to pay extra to get the channel or will it be with most cable and satellite providers?
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:52 AM   #4
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
What I'm confused about is are we people going to have to pay extra to get the channel or will it be with most cable and satellite providers?
I heard it will cost extra, but I really don't know. The only provider that has it now is DISH and there still isn't even a lot of information about that.
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:07 AM   #5
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Dish and AT&T

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:07 AM   #6
JAYBEZ
1st Team All-SEC

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 1st place Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff 
CockyCash: 117561006
JAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot material

Directv will get it and you will have to pay extra for it.

Just let them play their contract negotiations game for the few months while we all save up to afford it.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:28 AM   #7
lakemurraycock
Blue Chip

CockyCash: 357
lakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudly

The SEC is trying to get it to not cost extra on your cable bill as a premium channel while maximizing the amount of money they get for it. They will get more ad revenue with it being available in more homes. I expect the negotiations to come down to the wire on some of the outlets.
lakemurraycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:34 AM   #8
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxcockFL View Post
ESPN is partners with the SEC and is running the SECN. So, ESPN can put a SEC game on it just like ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, etc. CBS gets first pick, but no longer has the exclusive right to their time window. Third tier games that were owned by the schools are now owned by ESPN to be broadcast.

as far as the rest, I don't know.
What would be considered "third tier games"? Would that be along the lines of like SC-ECU or SC-CCU?

Also- will the syndicated SEC TV channel still run?
Old 03-30-2014, 12:50 PM   #9
толстый Cock
Recruit

Male

толстый Cock has earned his spursтолстый Cock has earned his spursтолстый Cock has earned his spursтолстый Cock has earned his spursтолстый Cock has earned his spursтолстый Cock has earned his spursтолстый Cock has earned his spurs

The Big 10 network is free with my package on Directv so hopefully the SEC network will be too.
толстый Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:27 PM   #10
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 View Post
What would be considered "third tier games"? Would that be along the lines of like SC-ECU or SC-CCU?

I think there is not such thing as third tier games anymore, but those were the bottom of the barrel ones that some schools used for PPV only, like UF-Furman.

http://mrsec.com/2013/04/the-sec-has...r-new-network/
Old 03-30-2014, 05:21 PM   #11
coryusc2008
Heisman

Male

CockyCash: 200
coryusc2008 has earned his spurscoryusc2008 has earned his spurscoryusc2008 has earned his spurscoryusc2008 has earned his spurscoryusc2008 has earned his spurscoryusc2008 has earned his spurs

I have the top 120 package with dish & pay $60/month. I called dish & they said the SEC Network would be on packages top 120+ & higher, they said that top 120+ is $65/month & that includes Big 10 & Pac 12 networks w/ a few more sports channels.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:38 PM   #12
carolina_corpsman
Blue Chip

Male

carolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudly

has anybody heard if they will offer a subscription to live games via the PS3 app or Roku app?
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:45 PM   #13
Cheezy
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1001240
Cheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot material

I hope it's on U-verse.
Cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #14
TazChris
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 400
TazChris has earned his spursTazChris has earned his spursTazChris has earned his spursTazChris has earned his spursTazChris has earned his spursTazChris has earned his spurs

AT&T U-Verse was the first to announce that they would carry the channel and that was done when the channel was announced. Not sure what package would be required to get it. Dish Network has renewed it's contract with Disney/ABC/ESPN and will carry the channel at launch time. (ESPNU and ESPNEWS was added in HD thankfully.) It will be part of the Amercica's Top 120 package.These are the only two national carriers that have announced contracts. From my understanding, those carriers that offer the SEC Network and WatchESPN will also have it streaming.

Chris
"I only came here to beat #1 teams."
-Andy Demetra (via Twitter)
TazChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:02 PM   #15
Cheezy
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1001240
Cheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazChris View Post
AT&T U-Verse was the first to announce that they would carry the channel and that was done when the channel was announced. Not sure what package would be required to get it. Dish Network has renewed it's contract with Disney/ABC/ESPN and will carry the channel at launch time. (ESPNU and ESPNEWS was added in HD thankfully.) It will be part of the Amercica's Top 120 package.These are the only two national carriers that have announced contracts. From my understanding, those carriers that offer the SEC Network and WatchESPN will also have it streaming.

Chris
Cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:56 PM   #16
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:

During football season, one of the SEC games conference wide is tier 3. Those are the games we usually have to buy on ppv to watch on tv. Now, if we have SEC Network, those games will be on it. We also can watch Alabama play Troy if we want.

There will be a ton of baseball and bb games on tier 3. Right now, you can watch the tier three games on the CBS stream. Those will be carried by the SEC network.

I don't know what the syndicated SEC TV channel is as I have never heard of it until your post.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:08 PM   #17
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
During football season, one of the SEC games conference wide is tier 3. Those are the games we usually have to buy on ppv to watch on tv. Now, if we have SEC Network, those games will be on it. We also can watch Alabama play Troy if we want.

There will be a ton of baseball and bb games on tier 3. Right now, you can watch the tier three games on the CBS stream. Those will be carried by the SEC network.

I don't know what the syndicated SEC TV channel is as I have never heard of it until your post.
It used to be called SEC Network. It wasn't its own channel- only showed up when there was a game. Mississippi St. And Arkansas game were on that this past year. Sorry if it's not a good explanation!
Old 03-31-2014, 06:13 AM   #18
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
It used to be called SEC Network. It wasn't its own channel- only showed up when there was a game. Mississippi St. And Arkansas game were on that this past year. Sorry if it's not a good explanation!
What channel? ESPN, Fox Sports South? If so, those are just part of the ESPN SEC contract games I expect.

SEC Network is for the remaining trash game in football, and lots of the other non revenue sports, many more hoops games, and baseball. IMO, ESPN is going to make a ton of money with this Network. The baseball alone is worth the price.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:52 AM   #19
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Unlike the Big10 network and others, the SEC version is pretty much all profit for the SEC. We don't have to invest in the infrastructure and advertising like others did. This really has nothing to do with your getting it, just saying that as far as the money goes it will be a bigger share for us with less liability.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:02 AM   #20
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
I think he's referring to what many of us still call the "JP/Raycom Game of the Week" that is usually on one of your local channels at 12:21 pm Saturday.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote