CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
StormOfTalons
zcoop
Latti
gamecock88
NinjaSven
gromweat
18IsTheMan
CHSgc
MikeTrainNC8
uscgmck
Nick Chubb (6385)
A&M on 3rd down (1724)
Spurrier Presser (1692)
All of our defensive (1572)
Uniform thread (1354)
Rankings (1300)
Cack's Toast of the (1278)
Spurrier: Davis Will (1267)
3-4 "D" Ke (944)
Will Devin ever suit (792)
3-4 "D" Keep it
Yeti roadie-good tailgate
2015 Commitment - Shameik
Over reacting?
East Carolina Prediction
AVGN Movie
Cack's Toast of the Game:
Acock's SEC Wrap Up 2014:
Men's soccer vs. Clemson
Spurrier: Davis Will Be A

Old 03-30-2014, 10:44 PM   #1
SClawman
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
SClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot material
Default Torrent file question

Got a question as I'm halfway tech savvy but not real experienced with torrent files. Is Bitorrent like Limewire used to be where you're sharing files with other users (peer sharing)? I just don't want a bunch of malware on my pc but would like to download some rare music files.

My real question is I found two links seen below and wanted to know if I need to install Bitorrent to convert them to mp3 files or just need a flac converter to decompress them. My ultimate goal is to put them on cd. Seems like I decompressed some files like this years back and completely forgot what I did to get them on cd. Thanks.

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=568357

http://www.torrentbit.net/torrent/14...D%201%20-%204/
Old 03-30-2014, 10:58 PM   #2
aftertwobowls
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1700000
aftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot material
Default Re: Torrent file question

You can download a converter, but I usually just burn them as FLAC files to an Audio disc. They still take the same amount of time if you're burning an 80 minute disc. They're just a bigger file size, but CD-R80s can hold 700 MB.
aftertwobowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #3
SClawman
Game MVP

Male

SClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot material

They're supposed to be flac files but save as a .torrent file to my machine. Do I need to decompress them or convert them? Trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I figure I could download a flac file CD burner for free but I can't get the original file to flac.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:06 PM   #4
aftertwobowls
4-Star

Male

aftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SClawman View Post
They're supposed to be flac files but save as a .torrent file to my machine. Do I need to decompress them or convert them? Trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I figure I could download a flac file CD burner for free but I can't get the original file to flac.
Torrent files are different. There should be a folder or something with the FLAC files in it in your downloads folder or where ever you've got your torrent files going. Just double click it or right click>Open Containing Folder on BitTorrent when it's done downloading, and the files should pop up in the folder they're in. I use Utorrent, but I think they're basically the same. I would use CDBurnerXP or DeepBurner to burn FLAC files.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:11 PM   #5
SClawman
Game MVP

Male

So you're saying I have to install Bitorrent? I havent done that. Makes sense if so because they can't be downloaded without the source I would assume. Guess I was trying to get around that. Does Bitorrent slow down your machine? Thanks for the responses by the way.

I just saw where you said you use Utorrent. Guessing torrent files are universal. Thanks again.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:31 PM   #6
aftertwobowls
4-Star

Male

Yea, if you don't want them slowing down your computer by seeding to other downloaders, you can just pause or stop the file once it's finished downloading. You can also mess around with the bandwidth allocations and cap your download/upload speeds for UTorrent so that it's not draining all of you internet when it's running with its default unlimited(no cap) bandwidth allocation settings. Or you could just move the files you download to another location(where ever you keep the rest of your music for instance) and then delete the torrent and exit UTorrent when done.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:55 PM   #7
usc_thereal
Recruit

Male

usc_thereal has feathers coming inusc_thereal has feathers coming inusc_thereal has feathers coming in

I download torrents all the time, whether it's music, TV, or movies. As long as you have decent AV on your machine you should be fine.

As another poster said, download UTorrent to download your torrents. I don't seed ANYTHING. As soon as it's done downloading, I delete the torrent. Not the data, just the torrent. That way you aren't seeding it. Then just convert those FLACs with a free converter and then burn as normal.
usc_thereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:33 PM   #8
wffjr1
Walk On

Male

wffjr1 has hatched from the shell

Even if you don't seed anything, you still can get caught (unless you pay for a vpn). This article explains it pretty well. I got one email from my internet provider to stop dowloading torrents and I started using https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ it's only a like $30 bucks a year. I haven't gotten any emails since.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:37 PM   #9
aftertwobowls
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by wffjr1 View Post
Even if you don't seed anything, you still can get caught (unless you pay for a vpn). This article explains it pretty well. I got one email from my internet provider to stop dowloading torrents and I started using https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ it's only a like $30 bucks a year. I haven't gotten any emails since.
I use a lot of private torrent trackers. Watch out when downloading HBO series on public trackers. They're the worst about catching people and sending warning letters in the mail.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #10
SClawman
Game MVP

Male

Thanks, guys. Got it to work using bittorrent. The bittorrent file downloaded as wav files and were easy to slap on a cd. For the etree file I had to convert the flac files to wavs using free Flac Frontend software (took 10 seconds to convert them). Then was able to put on cd with ease. Thanks for the tips.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #11
usc_thereal
Recruit

Male

usc_thereal has feathers coming inusc_thereal has feathers coming inusc_thereal has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by wffjr1 View Post
All due respect, I call shenanigans on that. I'm not saying that it's physically impossible to get caught if you don't seed. But it's not common to get caught if you don't seed. Between myself and my brother (who lives with me), we download torrents all the time. Pretty much every show we watch on premium cable we download. And have been doing so for years. The ONLY time we have ever gotten an email about piracy was when we forgot to delete a torrent and it was seeding for about 12 hours. Besides, even if they were to catch someone like me, it's not worth their time to fight me in court. I have no money, no assets, and good luck with a default judgment. However, to each his own. I'll continue to do it my way without paying to mask my IP. After all, that defeats the whole purpose of downloading the stuff anyway if I have to pay for some service.
usc_thereal is offline   Reply With Quote