CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
Carolinafan8908
Braveguy06
chapincock
COCKYTALKIN
uscjeremynca
The Yancey
Legalman72
Rex123
Conflict with Aggies (5592)
New JK Video Imminen (2421)
Spurrier on a&m (2363)
Kyle Carpenter to le (1917)
Old Footage from WB (1295)
Finbaum Jogs on USC (1227)
The Field (871)
One of the great thi (755)
Spurrier winning at (646)
Defensive Backfield (626)
GAME
2014-15 Premier League se
Spurrier winning at footb
Sandstorm towels
Live on SEC Now
The 3-4
Sothern Cal DB injures hi
Spurrier on a&m
Old Footage from WB (then
SDS/Garcia: Entertaining

Old 04-09-2014, 01:15 AM   #1
GamecockNeal
American Gamecock....

Male

CockyCash: 5445
GamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot material
Default How a USC degree is viewed in the job market

Very cool. This is from the New York Times. It was done by an HR group in Paris. They surveyed tons of top companies, worldwide. This is the list they developed of 150 colleges and universities.

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/20....html?ref=asia
Old 04-09-2014, 01:19 AM   #2
JerseyBird
Fuggedaboudit

Male

CockyCash: 2332
JerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot material
Default Re: How a USC degree is viewed in the job market

You're only unhireable if you don't get hired
Old 04-09-2014, 01:45 AM   #3
Kaka
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Kaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot material

No offense but International business is the only program at USC that gets recognitions.

I went to an interview once in one of the big buildings in downtown, the guy that interviewed me was the husband of my moms friend, he was from California. He told me they receive thousands of resumes everyday, usc resumes... he didnt waste his time, too much competition from top Universities.

That being said, for the most part, its all about connections, you can be the most talented guy out of 200 candidates, the dumb dude who knows somebody that knows somebody in the company will get the job, thats reality.

Kaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:18 AM   #4
Sir Cuss
Blue Chip

Female

CockyCash: 500
Sir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaka View Post
No offense but International business is the only program at USC that gets recognitions.

I went to an interview once in one of the big buildings in downtown, the guy that interviewed me was the husband of my moms friend, he was from California. He told me they receive thousands of resumes everyday, usc resumes... he didnt waste his time, too much competition from top Universities.

That being said, for the most part, its all about connections, you can be the most talented guy out of 200 candidates, the dumb dude who knows somebody that knows somebody in the company will get the job, thats reality.
No offense, but you have no room to talk with regards to the concept of being educated. You graduated from a college (not USC) and still don't know how to write a sentence. I'm going to assume you didn't get that job. Sometimes it's the dumb dude who gets the interview because of his connections.

Sir Cuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:39 AM   #5
Woody7687
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Woody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Cuss View Post
No offense, but you have no room to talk with regards to the concept of being educated. You graduated from a college (not USC) and still don't know how to write a sentence. I'm going to assume you didn't get that job. Sometimes it's the dumb dude who gets the interview because of his connections.

BURN!!!!
Old 04-09-2014, 09:41 AM   #6
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
He graduated from USC.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:45 AM   #7
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Easy. Don't you know that it's always someone's fault other than your own if you don't get what you want.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #8
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:

What you just wrote is untrue. USC have quite a few programs that come with high regard. Their supply chain program is held in high regard. And really when it comes to getting a job with a larger company and they are looking for a mid 20s or early 30s employee (or someone with mid level experience), then most likely an advanced degree is highly sought after.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #9
BigRedCock
↓Little Marcus Lattimore↓

Male

CockyCash: 1700
BigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPit

I graduated with a BA in business from USC and was hired into AT&T's leadership development program. Had no connections. Got my foot in the door by talking to the hiring staff at the annual career fair for business students. Two interviews later and I was one of twelve recent graduates from other large universities (UPenn, Oregon, UF, Arizona, Pitt, Cal, etc) to be housed in corporate housing on AT&T campus in Buckhead. Had weekly meeting with various VPs and executives from depts at AT&T HQ in Atlanta.

I say this to encourage everyone to disregard that so-called list. If you want the job, you can get it. Your degree gets you in the conversation, then it's up to you; not the letterhead atop your transcript.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #10
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:

One of the biggest failures of thinking is to take a personal micro situation and apply it to a macro thought. "I went to an interview once" applies here. Certainly, connections to apply in many cases, but many of the jobs I got were not due to connections. (oops..micro to macro again)

I have noticed that international rankings have USC ranked a lot higher than national rankings. That may be due to international business, or may be due to rankings such as USWR can be manipulated by unscrupulous universities whose locations are not known by most of the population at large.

None the less, for whatever reason, internationally , USC is seen very positively.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #11
cockattorney2
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 397
cockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his comb
Send a message via AIM to cockattorney2

Quote:

um, if you're talking one of the big buildings in downtown Columbia, of course they receive thousands of resumes from Carolina grads. Doubt a recruiter in NY or even Atlanta would tell you the same thing. Proximity to the University just might be a bit of a factor in a downtown Columbia business getting tons of Carolina grads applying....
cockattorney2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:54 AM   #12
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

Two things:

I think you have to look at programs individually I think it is hard to judge a school with overall sweeping generalizations

Also you have to look at the individual who obtains the degree… the level of effort and work they put into whatever chosen program they were in; internships etc.

USC has some very good programs and programs that need work and are improving. Any employer who just throws a resume away because the degree is from Carolina (or any school for that matter) just because.. is not very good at look at potential candidates and could be throwing out excellent potential employees.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #13
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Quote:

For an educated guy you make a lot of uneducated statements.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #14
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Neat article.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:57 AM   #15
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:

QFT

our sport and entertainment program is good, hospitality is good, nursing is pretty good. You are uneducated on the standing of our programs,

for willy
GamecockUltimate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:57 AM   #16
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

Having been on both sides, people don't get hired for their education alone. Education, in part, is what may get them to an interview based on a piece of paper (resume).

Yea there are companies out there that claim to be so prestigious that they will say they only hire from Wharton or other acclaimed business schools, but they will interview people who received their education from other schools.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:33 PM   #17
taylorssc
Game MVP

Male

taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material

hard work, dedication, and a true interest/love for what you do creates opportunities to be successful. people, both successful and even more so unsuccessful, want to work with successful people. point being, work ethic creates success, success creates meaningful connections. connections do not create long term success. if you fail to perform, you will be spit out. it is that simple.
taylorssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:44 PM   #18
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate View Post
QFT

our sport and entertainment program is good, hospitality is good, nursing is pretty good. You are uneducated on the standing of our programs,
You say QFT, yet you're disagreeing with him?

I disagree with Kaka that the international business program is the only one that gets recognition. It is also worth noting that the program everyone cites as being so highly ranked by publications is the Masters in International Business, not the undergraduate degree (though that is respected, too, of course). But, given that this polling was done at a firm in France, it does stand to reason that our international business prestige would sway the poll in our favor somewhat more than you'd see in a US-based polling.

Regardless, very cool to see a South Carolina degree being considered more valuable than a Vanderbilt degree! Someone forward this to the people who handle recruiting for the AD.
GarnetInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:45 PM   #19
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedCock View Post
I graduated with a BA in business from USC and was hired into AT&T's leadership development program. Had no connections. Got my foot in the door by talking to the hiring staff at the annual career fair for business students. Two interviews later and I was one of twelve recent graduates from other large universities (UPenn, Oregon, UF, Arizona, Pitt, Cal, etc) to be housed in corporate housing on AT&T campus in Buckhead. Had weekly meeting with various VPs and executives from depts at AT&T HQ in Atlanta.

I say this to encourage everyone to disregard that so-called list. If you want the job, you can get it. Your degree gets you in the conversation, then it's up to you; not the letterhead atop your transcript.
Similar here.
Worked internships through the university, built up the resume' and worked my way up the food chain till I landed my job.

The degree helps, but it really comes down to how bad you want the job, and how much work you are willing to put into getting it.
Also depends on if you are what the employer is looking for.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:47 PM   #20
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetInChicago View Post
You say QFT, yet you're disagreeing with him?

I disagree with Kaka that the international business program is the only one that gets recognition. First of all, the program everyone cites as being so highly ranked by publications is the Masters in International Business, not the undergraduate degree (though that is respected, too, of course). But, given that this polling was done at a firm in France, it does stand to reason that our international business prestige would sway the poll in our favor somewhat more than you'd see in a US-based polling.

Regardless, very cool to see a South Carolina degree being considered more valuable than a Vanderbilt degree! Someone forward this to the people who handle recruiting for the AD.

Yeah i said quit effin talking (unless im wrong on What QFT means)

I said it because he is wrong, then i proceeded to let him know why he is wrong. Yall for the most part are correct it isnt the degree, its more than the degree and resume

for willy
GamecockUltimate is online now   Reply With Quote