CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
b381l
Badazcock
Gamecockswag
Gamecocks1137
ReadR00ster
Regalcock
cocksmith1or11
conwaycock2
kingofnerf
Simple "yes&quo (874)
ESPN Game Day Commen (819)
The Comeback & T (690)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (507)
Phil Steele just pre (476)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (469)
Bashing Players, coa (465)
TeMarcus Blanton (429)
Garcia: Change the R (326)
Wallpaper & Back (203)
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
ESPN Game Day Comments Re
2015 Commitment - Lorenzo
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
2016 - Avery McCall
Phil Steele just predicte
Garcia: Change the Rules
Rank the QBs under Spurri
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
Simple "yes" or

Old 05-12-2014, 09:30 AM   #1
superfly
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 900
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material
Default Was this NFL draft just too deep

With players like Shaw, Quarles, "Tiny" Richardson of Tenn and notable others not being selected, this would explain a few things. It doesn't explain how so many unknown players got drafted ahead of these guys. I was wondering if too much is put into the combine results or if it may be easier to just let most of these kids become free agents and make them perform over a longer period of time to prove themselves. I just don't get it either way.......well, I do and I don't.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:29 AM   #2
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 10260
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material
Default Re: Was this NFL draft just too deep

beloved in college, not protypical NFL caliber athletes.

Shaw had ONE great year and a few okay years. I HOPED he'd be drafted but I'm not really surprised.

Quarles had ONE great year and that was bc Clowney sucked up the whole left side of the OL and part of the backfield.

Wasn't ever impressed by Tiny richardson.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

I thought only Clemson was "too deep"?
ktguen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:24 PM   #4
Woody7687
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Woody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talons

I wish they could all come back to SC and finish their college career. Something has to be done, if I'm in school and apply for a job and don't get it I can come back. Whats the difference?
Old 05-12-2014, 12:38 PM   #5
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 0
jrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody7687 View Post
I wish they could all come back to SC and finish their college career. Something has to be done, if I'm in school and apply for a job and don't get it I can come back. Whats the difference?

I'm sure it has something to do with monetary compensation for their likeness (ESPN shoots that the guys were involved in) and/or hiring of an agent (never has been explained to me wether or not the player actually benefits fom that hiring in a case where they go undrafted).
jrussjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:10 PM   #6
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Personally after the first 5 picks in the draft, I don't think the rest were as good as some of the 4th and 5th round guys taken. This years draft was weird as hell.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:25 PM   #7
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody7687 View Post
They can come back. They just aren't eligible to be an NCAA athlete and be on an athletic scholarship.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #8
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

I know this is a crazy assessment, but It seems like NFL teams drafted some average players in the late rounds so that they could get a good player as an UDFA to save some $$$. Seriously why would a team draft SJSU's QB over Connor. This guy's measurables didn't exactly jump off the chart.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:01 PM   #9
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3896416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofCarolina1 View Post
I know this is a crazy assessment, but It seems like NFL teams drafted some average players in the late rounds so that they could get a good player as an UDFA to save some $$$. Seriously why would a team draft SJSU's QB over Connor. This guy's measurables didn't exactly jump off the chart.
have you ever watched the SJSU guy play? He is taller than Shaw, has longer arms, and a super quick release. He was one of 2 qb with over 4000 yards in both of the last 2 years. He had over 8000 yds, 66 td, at a 160ish qb rating for his two years of D1 football. His intangibles such a courage and leadership are very similar to Shaw.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:02 PM   #10
Gyle41386
Explosivo

Male

CockyCash: 1450
Gyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gyle41386 Send a message via Yahoo to Gyle41386

Quote:
While David Fales didn't have Bortles-esque (or whoever else you'd like to use) measurables, his game film is terrific. I was surprised to see him drafted as late as he was, actually. Here's a scouting report on him: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...45/david-fales
Old 05-12-2014, 08:17 PM   #11
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktguen View Post
I thought only Clemson was "too deep"?
What about Michael Sam's boyfriend?
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:11 AM   #12
cock13
An illusion, Michael

Male

CockyCash: 51250
cock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
What about Michael Sam's boyfriend?
Eh. 3/10
Old 05-14-2014, 12:27 AM   #13
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Quote:
*facepalm
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote