CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
b381l
Badazcock
Gamecockswag
Gamecocks1137
ReadR00ster
Regalcock
cocksmith1or11
conwaycock2
kingofnerf
Simple "yes&quo (874)
ESPN Game Day Commen (819)
The Comeback & T (690)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (507)
Phil Steele just pre (476)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (469)
Bashing Players, coa (465)
TeMarcus Blanton (429)
Garcia: Change the R (326)
Wallpaper & Back (203)
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
2015 Commitment - Lorenzo
2016 - Avery McCall
Phil Steele just predicte
Garcia: Change the Rules
Rank the QBs under Spurri
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
ESPN Game Day Comments Re
Simple "yes" or

Old 07-01-2014, 12:01 AM   #1
rolinb1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1310176
rolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot material
Default Q&A with Steve Spurrier

Q&A with Steve Spurrier: ‘A lot to brag about’
In the next seven months, Steve Spurrier will coach his 10th season at South Carolina, his 30th as a coach and turn 70 years old.

Spurrier sat down with The State for a wide-ranging interview that includes what he has accomplished with the Gamecocks, what he hasn’t yet and what the future might hold for the Head Ball Coach.

http://www.gogamecocks.com/2014/06/2.../99/113/&ihp=1
Old 07-01-2014, 08:37 AM   #2
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Q&A with Steve Spurrier

Nice snag! Points!

There is a lot of wisdom in those comments if people are willing to absorb it. Steve Spurrier gets college football much more than anyone I know of.

His comments on Jadeveon are spot on.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:32 AM   #3
tgobbel
Semper Fi

Male

Location: From Greenville, SC Now I live in, Southern Indiana
CockyCash: 200
tgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudlytgobbel is crowing loudly

Great read!!!! PTS!!!
'Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you're ridin' through the ruts, don't ya complicate your mind, flee from hate, mischief, and jealousy, don't bury your dreams, put your vision to reality. Wake Up and Live.'
--RNM

tgobbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:33 AM   #4
palmettosc
hypnotoad

Male

CockyCash: 1200
palmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Nice snag! Points!

There is a lot of wisdom in those comments if people are willing to absorb it. Steve Spurrier gets college football much more than anyone I know of.

His comments on Jadeveon are spot on.
Love that he's always pumping up paying players. Regardless of your position, it certainly helps recruiting.
palmettosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:59 AM   #5
BeatBamaTwice
Yes we can!!!

Male

CockyCash: 18446744073354788972
BeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot material

Quote:
Spurrier has been almost a miracle worker since taking over at USC. If he manages to lead this team to the top of the SEC this season, it may prove to be his best coaching job yet.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:47 AM   #6
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

CockyCash: 399
AikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AikenRooster

Good article, thanks for posting, and I like a lot of what Spurrier said, but:

I don't like the bit about it being OK that we haven't won the SEC. All the accomplishments of the last 3 years have simply given us hope that we are very close to making it back to Atlanta and, hopefully, winning the SEC Championship.

If we do not win the SEC Championship while Spurrier is here, it will have all been for nothing. He came here to win the SEC Championship.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:43 AM   #7
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenRooster View Post
Good article, thanks for posting, and I like a lot of what Spurrier said, but:

I don't like the bit about it being OK that we haven't won the SEC. All the accomplishments of the last 3 years have simply given us hope that we are very close to making it back to Atlanta and, hopefully, winning the SEC Championship.

If we do not win the SEC Championship while Spurrier is here, it will have all been for nothing. He came here to win the SEC Championship.
Nothing? We had never even had 11 wins before and we just did it 3 times in a row. We are a highly ranked, nationally respected team who is a contender now. Even if we don't win the SEC during his tenure, he has laid some excellent groundwork to build upon with our next hire.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:55 AM   #8
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Q: What are your impressions of this year’s team?
A: We get to watch some of the (summer) workouts now, and I was down there and guys were running around all over the place, nobody was sitting down. I said to (strength coach) Joe Connolly, ‘We’ve got a pretty good bunch of guys don’t we?’ He said, ‘Coach, attitude wise, this is, by far, the best group of guys since I have been here.’ It used to be voluntary in the summers. We had a starter last year who said, ‘Coach, it’s voluntary isn’t it? I just couldn’t make it yesterday.’ You can’t punish them. Now you can run them or do something. He said, ‘There are no ego guys.’ We don’t have any big stars. I think they are going to gel together pretty well, but what that means, nobody knows until we start playing. It is a group of players with wonderful attitudes.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:10 PM   #9
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

I refuse to believe there was not at least one toothsuck in that entire interview.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #10
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
Q: What are your impressions of this year’s team?
A: We get to watch some of the (summer) workouts now, and I was down there and guys were running around all over the place, nobody was sitting down. I said to (strength coach) Joe Connolly, ‘We’ve got a pretty good bunch of guys don’t we?’ He said, ‘Coach, attitude wise, this is, by far, the best group of guys since I have been here.’ It used to be voluntary in the summers. We had a starter last year who said, ‘Coach, it’s voluntary isn’t it? I just couldn’t make it yesterday.’ You can’t punish them. Now you can run them or do something. He said, ‘There are no ego guys.’ We don’t have any big stars. I think they are going to gel together pretty well, but what that means, nobody knows until we start playing. It is a group of players with wonderful attitudes.
Wow.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:18 PM   #11
GregoryHouse
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Quote:

I disagree.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #12
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
I disagree.
I second that, because what Spurrier has done here already trumps anything any coach has done here before.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:38 AM   #13
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

AikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
I second that, because what Spurrier has done here already trumps anything any coach has done here before.
That's true.

BUt.

We specifically hired Spurrier, and Spurrier specifically came here to win the SEC Championship.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:01 AM   #14
uscandy
4-Star

Male

uscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his claws

Quote:
That's true.

BUt.

We specifically hired Spurrier, and Spurrier specifically came here to win the SEC Championship.
Exactly! I too did not like his comment in the article. It struck me as very odd for him to say that. You hope he hasn't lost that fire, which you do worry about when a coach gets older. I mean beating Clemson five years in a row is great, winning bowl games, finishing in the top ten three years in a row, that's all great things our program has done. That being said, the job is far from done. It's time to take it to the next level, and that's winning a championship. I still can't fathom why he said that.
uscandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:58 AM   #15
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Quote:
That's true.

BUt.

We hired Spurrier. He came in and said "our goal every year is to win the SEC championship". He set that goal. He's not changing that goal- he's just stating that you can have a really good season without winning the SEC and that they have other goals too.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:18 AM   #16
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
We hired Spurrier. He came in and said "our goal every year is to win the SEC championship". He set that goal. He's not changing that goal- he's just stating that you can have a really good season without winning the SEC and that they have other goals too.
No, he's saying that it's OK that we haven't won the SEC Championship. It's not OK. Sure, there has been an IMPROVEMENT, and we have been COMPETITIVE, but we've only made it to Atlanta once, and it's specifically because we can't win big games on the road. Hell, the schedule has sort of favored us the last couple of years and we still couldn't get the job done.

I'm I happy with 11 wins the last 3 years and beating clem5on five years in a row? Yes. But, when you beat teams that end up playing in Atlanta(Georgia, Missouri), because they ran the table, it shows you how far we still have to go.

Let me get to the crux of what I'm saying here: We better damn beat Auburn on the road this year.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:50 AM   #17
jfbreb94
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 615
jfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPit

Steve thank you is not enough.
jfbreb94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:16 AM   #18
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
We better damn beat Auburn on the road this year.
And if we don't?
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #19
scfanohio
Blue Chip

Male

scfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talons

I take it as him saying we can have a good year if we don't win the national title. We can have a good year if we don't win the SEC. That's what has happened the last few years. As fans we consider them good years, just not the ultimate.

If we went 13-1, won the SEC and the national title, but lost to Clemson, I'm not sure that's the ultimate either.

There's a lot of ways to measure great seasons.
scfanohio is offline   Reply With Quote