CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
NinjaSven
Rebel4ever
BlakelyH19
roosterdude21
Carolina-Beez
Cockyteg
kevhugh
eatlighting
Latti
Spurrier was Embaras (2149)
ECU is a good team (1648)
Spurrier not happy s (1634)
Is it possible for o (1547)
Why we'll dominate C (1402)
More David Williams (1385)
Lammons out (1093)
Alabama vs Florida. (1084)
ECU is a good team (974)
Our wide receivers w (799)
Are yall Dak Prescott bel
Spurrier was Embarassed
Vandy Highlights
Curse of the Chicken
More David Williams Pleas
Is it possible for our Sp
Spurrier not happy so why
Glad We Won
Why we'll dominate Clemso
Well, as it turns out, we

Old 07-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #1
Gamecocktuck
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 717
Gamecocktuck is sharpening his clawsGamecocktuck is sharpening his clawsGamecocktuck is sharpening his clawsGamecocktuck is sharpening his clawsGamecocktuck is sharpening his claws
Default CB in 2014

I was curious to others opinions regarding our CB rotation for this season. I've seen many comments that we'll need one of the freshman to step in and start......I don't see it myself. Rico McWilliams will likely man one spot with either Jamari Smith or Ali Groves at the other. These three may make up the rotation, but Brison Williams is also an option. May depend on if Groves is fully 100%? One of the freshman may work into the rotation as the season progresses. Other thoughts?
Old 07-06-2014, 05:13 PM   #2
Wiz Khalifa
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Wiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudly
Default Re: CB in 2014

Im worried about it honestly. We don't know if Rico McWilliams will even be productive when he starts. I truly think you will see Brison Williams primarily at one of the CB spots at some point this season and Kadetricks Marcus starting in place of his vacancy move to CB. We just have to weather it and play our best with the guys we have there...and have a productive offense.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:14 PM   #3
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocktuck View Post
I was curious to others opinions regarding our CB rotation for this season. I've seen many comments that we'll need one of the freshman to step in and start......I don't see it myself. Rico McWilliams will likely man one spot with either Jamari Smith or Ali Groves at the other. These three may make up the rotation, but Brison Williams is also an option. May depend on if Groves is fully 100%? One of the freshman may work into the rotation as the season progresses. Other thoughts?
McWilliams and someone. My money IS on one of the true freshmen though.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:21 PM   #4
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 300500
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

I like Smith back there. But with that said, I still say that we see the 2 most game ready freshmen CB's come in and play. I think that Harris will be one of them. I just can't see a guy that has been working out for a few years with NFL coaching not being ready to come in and play some. Plus, he has the right attitude.
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocktuck View Post
I think Whammy wants to have his secondary players capable of playing all positions in the secondary. That includes moving from safety to corner or vice versa. Makes it harder for opponents to scheme our defense.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:16 PM   #6
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Brison Williams will play a ton of corner at least until Groves, J. Smith , or the freshmen are ready to play.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:31 PM   #7
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Brison Williams will play a ton of corner at least until Groves, J. Smith , or the freshmen are ready to play.
with no proven corner on the team and all the new guys coming in, this is going to be an interesting year to see who develops and when, and who gets playing time....and how the coaches change formations and players trying to find the right combination......our running game may be the most help our corners get this year......
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:12 PM   #8
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

It's going to be scary. The fact that Brison Williams may have to play corner extensively doesn't make me any less nervous.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:22 PM   #9
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Someone will take up the slack. They are all fast, and have been playing ball their whole lives. 2 guys will have put in the work necessary.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:35 PM   #10
IrishCoach
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
IrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Yeah, this is what I think too. It may even stick for the season. McWilliams will be the other spot. Elder and Gurley will be our safeties. I am interested in how Smith develops; it seems like he gets an interception every practice when he is with the defense.

~Dan Gable
IrishCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:38 PM   #11
IrishCoach
4-Star

Male

IrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
with no proven corner on the team and all the new guys coming in, this is going to be an interesting year to see who develops and when, and who gets playing time....and how the coaches change formations and players trying to find the right combination......our running game may be the most help our corners get this year......
DEFINITELY!

~Dan Gable
IrishCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:17 PM   #12
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

I think 2 of the FR are going to be in the 2 Deep by the time we play uga. If Lammons and Green would have been on campus by Summer I, I would have been sure of this.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:46 PM   #13
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

I suspect Jamari Smith will start and play well. He is fast, tough, and strong. We know he can ball hawk; he will have to develop the art of covering to where it becomes natural. I'd figure Groves and a freshman to fill out the two deep/dime with Smith and McWilliams. Rhodes is a walk-on with some experience, but I suspect at least 2 of the freshmen will get playing time and play on special teams.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:34 PM   #14
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

What's the word on Rico, has he bounced back from the ACL and started making the coaches take notice again?
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:57 PM   #15
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMorrisonLives View Post
What's the word on Rico, has he bounced back from the ACL and started making the coaches take notice again?
I think he has totally recovered and ready to go......it remains to be seen where he fits in the 2 deep.

Regarding Jamari Smith, he is very athletic but is behind others at this point with coverage skills.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:39 AM   #16
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

I don't think Brison plays corner this year. I think he may end up being the nickel back and Gurley coming in at Safety in that package.

Rico and Jamari will likely start and Groves, Green, and Lammons should provide depth.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:10 AM   #17
Helicopter Cock
To impress a chick

Male

Helicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervous

Brison Williams seems to have embraced the role, too. I like that. I think a rotation of McWilliams, Williams and Smith can be solid while the freshman acclimate.
Helicopter Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #18
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter Cock View Post
Brison Williams seems to have embraced the role, too. I like that. I think a rotation of McWilliams, Williams and Smith can be solid while the freshman acclimate.
My feeling is that you can either play corner or not (obviously this is relative to other positions, you can always improve). It's 95% instincts and physical tools. The one aspect that they could improve on in the short term is run support, specifically fighting off blocks and wrapping up without hurting yourself. It took Captain Munnerlyn a while to get this down.

If these frosh have good hips and decent quicks, it's just a matter of their reaction time and hand technique. I have faith that they are being put through the paces. We have plenty of bodies at the position. If they are all committed, 3 to 4 guys will emerge that can be at least average in the SEC.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:18 AM   #19
Helicopter Cock
To impress a chick

Male

Helicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
My feeling is that you can either play corner or not (obviously this is relative to other positions, you can always improve). It's 95% instincts and physical tools. The one aspect that they could improve on in the short term is run support, specifically fighting off blocks and wrapping up without hurting yourself. It took Captain Munnerlyn a while to get this down.

If these frosh have good hips and decent quicks, it's just a matter of their reaction time and hand technique. I have faith that they are being put through the paces. We have plenty of bodies at the position. If they are all committed, 3 to 4 guys will emerge that can be at least average in the SEC.
I'm not worried about their ability to cover. I'm more worried about their physicality at the point of attack, specifically on screens where they are asked to tackle in space, etc. 1 missed tackle can mean a 1st down or possibly even more.
Helicopter Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:21 AM   #20
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Luckily we have 4 highly rated freshmen coming in and competing against each other this fall. I'd be disappointed if 1 or 2 didn't emerge from the group.