CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
NinjaSven
Rebel4ever
BlakelyH19
roosterdude21
Carolina-Beez
kevhugh
Cockyteg
eatlighting
Lankey62
**USC vs. Vanderbilt (32845)
Gameday in Columbia (1778)
ECU is a good team (1479)
Why we'll dominate C (1245)
Spurrier was Embaras (1169)
Is it possible for o (1125)
Spurrier not happy s (1088)
Alabama vs Florida. (1028)
Lammons out (989)
ECU is a good team (974)
Spurrier was Embarassed
Is anyone really surprise
**USC vs. Vanderbilt GAME
Is it possible for our Sp
More David Williams Pleas
Glad We Won
Best and worst of the gam
2016 - Jamie Skalski
ECU
Spurrier not happy so why

Old 08-24-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
18IsTheMan
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs
Default Is Connor Shaw the most frustrated player in the NFL?

Either Pettine is the worst coach in the NFL or he just hates Connor Shaw. It had to be torture for Shaw to simply sit on the sidelines last night while Hoyer stunk it up for the whole first half. Johnny played better than he did last time out, but still never looked as crisp as Shaw did.

It's clear the Browns have no intention of even giving Shaw the closer look he earned the other night so I hope they do the right thing and let him go so he can catch on with another team.
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material
Default Re: Is Connor Shaw the most frustrated player in the NFL?

they do not want other teams to get much of a look at him.

They will likely cut Shaw and try to claim him on waivers.

Quote:
Practice squad basics

• Each NFL team can have up to eight players on their practice squad.
  • Practice squad players ... practice with the team. They do not play in games.
  • Not all players are eligible to be signed to NFL practice squads (more on that below).
  • Practice squad players are paid per week and can be released at any point during the season.
  • Practice squad players are free to sign with other NFL teams, assuming they are signed to the 53-man active roster. A practice squad player cannot be signed to another practice squad unless he is first released.
  • A practice squad player can not sign with their team's upcoming opponent, unless they do so six days before the upcoming game or 10 days if their team is currently on a bye week.
  • If a practice squad player is signed to the active roster, they will receiver a minimum of three paychecks, even if they are released before spending three weeks with the team.
  • In order to be signed to a practice squad after being released, a player must first clear through waivers.
Rex Grossman is not eligible to go to the practice squad so he is their #3 QB behind Brian Hoyer and Johnny Manziel.

My point is that the Browns will hurt their plans by playing Connor Shaw in the preseason because when they cut him, either this week or next, they will have less than a chance to claim him off waivers if other teams see what he can do.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:38 AM   #3
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

It really is kind of a messed up situation. On the surface of it, it makes ZERO sense. I mean the purpose of a QB competition should be to discover who the best QB is for the team and PLAY that QB. If you cut the best one, how can you expect the best results?

There should be no biases, no built in advantages...but there are. Unfortunately money complicates things and it clouds judgement. That's what it's doing right here in front of our eyes. The Browns never planned on giving Shaw a legitimate chance. Manziel has all the job security in the world.

Of course you can say they have to give Manziel the reigns because they invested so much in him right? But isn't the whole purpose of all this to win games?

And you wonder why the Browns go through a new QB every.single.year.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
rabid cock
Recruit

Male

rabid cock is sharpening his clawsrabid cock is sharpening his clawsrabid cock is sharpening his clawsrabid cock is sharpening his clawsrabid cock is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
It really is kind of a messed up situation. On the surface of it, it makes ZERO sense. I mean the purpose of a QB competition should be to discover who the best QB is for the team and PLAY that QB. If you cut the best one, how can you expect the best results?

There should be no biases, no built in advantages...but there are. Unfortunately money complicates things and it clouds judgement. That's what it's doing right here in front of our eyes. The Browns never planned on giving Shaw a legitimate chance. Manziel has all the job security in the world.

Of course you can say they have to give Manziel the reigns because they invested so much in him right? But isn't the whole purpose of all this to win games?

And you wonder why the Browns go through a new QB every.single.year.
The fact is Connor Shaw was not supposed to be as good as JM but it is obvious (at this point) that he is much better. They would lose face by starting Shaw. Connor looks every bit as good at directing the Cleveland offense as he did the Gamecocks. JM doesn't, and it sticks in their craw.

Frankly, I don't expect to see Shaw on the field again any time soon. Hopefully, they realize they have a steal and don't want anyone else to know.
rabid cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:37 PM   #5
FeloniousCock
Walk On

Male

FeloniousCock has hatched from the shell

i just would love to be a fly on the wall when JM finally gets kicked out of cleveland. The invested way to much in him and Shaw is way better of a production guy then hoyer or JM. Pettine is a idiot as well. Also Rex Grossman needs to just go retire and quit holding up spaces.
FeloniousCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:45 PM   #6
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Give it the 4th game. That is when we see guys who aren't expected to be starters or 2nd string give it their best shot.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:49 PM   #7
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

You guys don't understand...they have to get ready for the reg season and find some kind of way of beating teams that are likely to smash them. Their defense and WRs do not look good.

Whether Connor is as good is irrelevant at this point....neither Connor nor Manziel are ready for NFL defenses...and if they play Manziel, it'll be some kind of package and not their full offense.

I have concerns that Connor may not get picked up....and actually think there's a chance Browns cut Rexy...and keep Connor. Rexy is insurance....Connor may be a future contributor.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:53 PM   #8
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

Practice squads were increased to 10 players this week. I have tried to find out if a player has to be cut before he can go to the practice squad. In other words could CLE simply sign him to PS without him hitting the free agent market? Cut and Sign at the same time. Does every free agent have to clear waivers?
Old 08-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #9
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockTail View Post
Does every free agent have to clear waivers?
Yes. Problem is....practice squad is a place most players go to eventually get cut. He needs to make the 53....if he's good enough. But if they cut him/waivers...he could get picked up...then the Browns won't have him.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:50 PM   #10
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

CockyCash: 350
Aggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudly

Guys, sorry to break it to you, but Conner will not start for the Browns. He had two "good" series and that was it. If he is lucky he gets dropped and some other struggling NFL team picks him up, I know he was solid for your team, but my bet is he never plays an actual legal season NFL snap
Not saying JFF is a world beater and become the next Peyton Manning or even make it himself, but Connor will not make it in the NFL.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #11
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie96 View Post
Guys, sorry to break it to you, but Conner will not start for the Browns. He had two "good" series and that was it. If he is lucky he gets dropped and some other struggling NFL team picks him up, I know he was solid for your team, but my bet is he never plays an actual legal season NFL snap
Not saying JFF is a world beater and become the next Peyton Manning or even make it himself, but Connor will not make it in the NFL.
I'm not debating that Shaw won't start for the Browns. I have a pretty good idea of what they are gonna do with him. But what makes you think Manziel will make it in the NFL? He hasn't proved any more than Connor has up to this point.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:55 PM   #12
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 3568
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

Quote:
I will say this if Shaw played at A&M you would feel the same way about him as we do. If Manziel played some where else you more than likely wouldn't like him.

We want Shaw to have a chance to prove that he either can or can't make it. Just shrugging him off and saying he can't do it without seeing him do it or not is pretty biased. ALL we want is for him to have a shot he certainly deserves that.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #13
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

CockyCash: 350
Aggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGAMECOCK View Post
I will say this if Shaw played at A&M you would feel the same way about him as we do. If Manziel played some where else you more than likely wouldn't like him.

We want Shaw to have a chance to prove that he either can or can't make it. Just shrugging him off and saying he can't do it without seeing him do it or not is pretty biased. ALL we want is for him to have a shot he certainly deserves that.
I have said numerous times on this board that I like Shaw and I think he deserves a chance, but to say he is better than JFF, that is a huge stretch. He got his shot and did very well, hopefully he gets one elsewhere too.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:05 PM   #14
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Guys, sorry to break it to you, but Conner will not start for the Browns.
What kind of comment is that?

Do you think any of us think's Shaw is going to start ahead of the other 2 guys?
Shaw's path to success in the NFL was always about finding some place to develop and maybe one day get a chance to play. This is how it goes for UDFAs.
I don't know if he ever starts anywhere or not....I do know he has to make a roster first and be there when he gets his chance. One day at a time.

In turn....sorry to break it to you....TAMU is not going undefeated in '14 and the Browns are likely to suck...Manziel or not.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:08 PM   #15
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

All I can say is that it's just a matter of time before we see Cleveland go down in a hot blaze of dog $hit yet again with JF or Hoyer at the helm.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:11 PM   #16
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 3568
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

Quote:
I have said numerous times on this board that I like Shaw and I think he deserves a chance, but to say he is better than JFF, that is a huge stretch. He got his shot and did very well, hopefully he gets one elsewhere too.
not saying one is or isn't better than the other but how is that a huge stretch? Oh I guess because you say it is, the below passing stats don't show it as a stretch like you think.
cmp/ att / %/ yds/ ya/ adj.ya/ td / int/ rate
480 733 65.5 6074 8.3 8.8 56 16 155.9 Connor Shaw

595 863 68.9 7820 9.1 9.4 63 22 164.1 Johnny Manziel

Last edited by AtlGAMECOCK; 08-24-2014 at 02:23 PM.
AtlGAMECOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #17
RebelGamecockfan09
Runnin round

Male

CockyCash: 1225
RebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid cock View Post
The fact is Connor Shaw was not supposed to be as good as JM but it is obvious (at this point) that he is much better. They would lose face by starting Shaw. Connor looks every bit as good at directing the Cleveland offense as he did the Gamecocks. JM doesn't, and it sticks in their craw.

Frankly, I don't expect to see Shaw on the field again any time soon. Hopefully, they realize they have a steal and don't want anyone else to know.
I love Shaw as much as anyone but I don't really understand how you can say that Shaw is "much better" than JM. Unless you're a browns coach how could you make that claim.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #18
Bed Sores
Walk On

Male

Bed Sores has feathers coming inBed Sores has feathers coming in

What string was Shaw going up against when he came in for that 1 or 2 series? Lots of guys look solid in preseason play. Heck they were saying that the ex Mizzu DE (gay) wouldn't make the team and this was after his sack on Johnny last night.

You cant come up with a conclusion based on a few series in a preseason game. The QBs have been watched closely through all the practices and drills to include preseason games

My prediction is that Johnny will be the starter going into week 5.

Best of luck to Shaw. He seems like a good guy
Bed Sores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #19
GamecockInPA
1 star but overrated

Male

GamecockInPA is developing his combGamecockInPA is developing his combGamecockInPA is developing his combGamecockInPA is developing his combGamecockInPA is developing his combGamecockInPA is developing his combGamecockInPA is developing his combGamecockInPA is developing his combGamecockInPA is developing his comb

After watching that team play this preseason, the sooner Connor gets out of there and on some other team, the better. The browns will not stop being a dumpster fire for a very long time. I'm hoping that some team with a strong veteran starter might give him a chance to develop as a backup.
GamecockInPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:51 PM   #20
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bed Sores View Post
What string was Shaw going up against when he came in for that 1 or 2 series? Lots of guys look solid in preseason play. Heck they were saying that the ex Mizzu DE (gay) wouldn't make the team and this was after his sack on Johnny last night.

You cant come up with a conclusion based on a few series in a preseason game. The QBs have been watched closely through all the practices and drills to include preseason games

My prediction is that Johnny will be the starter going into week 5.

Best of luck to Shaw. He seems like a good guy
Why do people continue to use this as an argument? Shaw was playing with the 3rd stringers too.