CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
bcolinc
ConwayGamecock
Latti
Gamecocks1137
usc1
The Yancey
kingofnerf
FanofCarolina1
Storm Of Spurs
Decommitment from Te (1081)
Duck Bowl Depth Char (845)
Cleveland Browns Hea (698)
Garcia and Clemsux T (678)
Four USC Basketball (321)
Need a dog kennel (299)
NCAAB: CLEMSON @ SOU (226)
Bowl packages (190)
5 apps to turn your (187)
24 restaurants foodi (131)
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
The Vent and Coaching cha
2014 Subway Classic:**USC
QB Next Season?
Props to Eric Hyman. Than
looks like we have 2 OL r
The U ends apparel deal w
Former Gamecock rooting f
So, why is next year goin
Duck Bowl Depth Chart

Old 08-27-2014, 12:04 PM   #1
IslandCock
Go! Fight! Win! Kick ASS!

Male

CockyCash: 13701490
IslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudly
Default Spurrier winning at football, life

Great article highlighting Spurrier - and the staff's - great work/life balance.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ant-sec-record

Quote:
But when Spurrier came to her that November in 2004 and announced that they were going to South Carolina, she looked at him with a blank stare.

"Steve, you realize we're going to have to play Florida every year, Georgia every year and Tennessee every year, don't you?" she asked.

"Yep, that's why we're going," Spurrier said.

Spurrier has gone a combined 13-3 over the past four seasons against those four teams.
IslandCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:06 PM   #2
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material
Default Re: Spurrier winning at football, life

one of the best articles about HBC ive seen in awhile
Old 08-27-2014, 12:20 PM   #3
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

How does one win at life?
TKE226 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #4
ACPhilson
Really hates Orange Teams

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
ACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot material

That was a really good article, and fun to read.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:49 PM   #5
IslandCock
Go! Fight! Win! Kick ASS!

Male

CockyCash: 13701490
IslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
You don't sweat the small stuff, find healthy outlets from a stressful job, and generally just be yourself.

Ways to lose at life: troll message boards, drive slowly in the left lane, litter, and kick dogs.
IslandCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:00 PM   #6
kabercr2
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 900000
kabercr2 is developing his combkabercr2 is developing his combkabercr2 is developing his combkabercr2 is developing his combkabercr2 is developing his combkabercr2 is developing his combkabercr2 is developing his combkabercr2 is developing his comb

The more time goes on the more I truly belive he will be here to break Bear Bryant's record.
kabercr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #7
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabercr2 View Post
The more time goes on the more I truly belive he will be here to break Bear Bryant's record.
I think if he and Jeri stay in good health, that he will try to make a run at it.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:30 PM   #8
Cock
NoH0mer

Male

CockyCash: 500
Cock is crowing loudlyCock is crowing loudlyCock is crowing loudlyCock is crowing loudlyCock is crowing loudlyCock is crowing loudlyCock is crowing loudlyCock is crowing loudlyCock is crowing loudlyCock is crowing loudlyCock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabercr2 View Post
I hope you're right.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #9
USCNowAndForever
Recruit

Male

USCNowAndForever has earned his spursUSCNowAndForever has earned his spursUSCNowAndForever has earned his spursUSCNowAndForever has earned his spursUSCNowAndForever has earned his spursUSCNowAndForever has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCock View Post
You don't sweat the small stuff, find healthy outlets from a stressful job, and generally just be yourself.

Ways to lose at life: troll message boards, drive slowly in the left lane, litter, and kick dogs.
You say that as if there is something objectively wrong with taking your job seriously, making a strong commitment to helping your team be the best it can be, and sweating the small stuff.

There is nothing objectively wrong with that.

Nick Saban sweats the small stuff. Bill Walsh sweated the small stuff. Belichick sweats the small stuff. Each of them has way more titles than I think Spurrier will ever have.

I rag on Spurrier a lot. Well, I would say most of it is not so much ragging on him as it is ragging on the fans that constantly sunshine pump. With that said, I can't say there is anything objectively wrong with him trying to live a balanced life.

But, it's absurd for you to sit there and criticize coaches who do take their job more seriously than Spurrier takes his job, and it's also absurd for you to imply that there is something objectively wrong with taking your job seriously.

It's fine if you respect Spurrier for living a balanced life. I can't tell you what you ought to value.

Just don't hate on the coaches who work harder than Spurrier does. They have won more national championships than he has at the collegiate level (Saban) and NFL level (Walsh, Belichick). There are probably several reasons why that is the case, but work ethic has definitely played a role.
USCNowAndForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:02 PM   #10
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114054578
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Great article.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:11 PM   #11
TheUSCMike
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 4250
TheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCock View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCNowAndForever View Post
You say that as if there is something objectively wrong with taking your job seriously, making a strong commitment to helping your team be the best it can be, and sweating the small stuff.

Nick Saban sweats the small stuff. Bill Walsh sweated the small stuff. Belichick sweats the small stuff. Each of them has way more titles than I think Spurrier will ever have.

I rag on Spurrier a lot. Well, I would say most of it is not so much ragging on him as it is ragging on the fans that constantly sunshine pump. With that said, I can't say there is anything objectively wrong with him trying to live a balanced life.

But, it's absurd for you to sit there and criticize coaches who do take their job more seriously than Spurrier takes his job, and it's also absurd for you to imply that there is something objectively wrong with taking your job seriously.

It's fine if you respect Spurrier for living a balanced life. I can't tell you what you ought to value.

Just don't hate on the coaches who work harder than Spurrier does. They have won more national championships than he has at the collegiate level (Saban) and NFL level (Walsh, Belichick). There are probably several reasons why that is the case, but work ethic has definitely played a role.
Wow, you got all of that out of one simple statement.

TheUSCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:21 PM   #12
doc
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 0
doc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
Family, friends and maybe health!
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:26 PM   #13
doc
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 0
doc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUSCMike View Post
Wow, you got all of that out of one simple statement.
Exactly what I was thinking.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:57 PM   #14
Cocks N Stuff
4-Star

Male

Cocks N Stuff is making other chickens nervousCocks N Stuff is making other chickens nervousCocks N Stuff is making other chickens nervousCocks N Stuff is making other chickens nervousCocks N Stuff is making other chickens nervousCocks N Stuff is making other chickens nervousCocks N Stuff is making other chickens nervousCocks N Stuff is making other chickens nervous

Quote:

Your meds. Take them.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:07 PM   #15
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 19222586
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Spurrier is a winner at football and life. No argument. It's confirmed.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:13 PM   #16
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 1000995751
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Cool story bro
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:18 PM   #17
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs

Read this article earlier. Excellent. Makes you wish you were buddies with the man.
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:49 PM   #18
roosterdude21
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1999829275
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

ESPN did a small tour of his office on their web page. It was pretty cool
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:00 AM   #19
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 1000995751
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterdude21 View Post
ESPN did a small tour of his office on their web page. It was pretty cool
I like the Stuffed gamecock, where Spurrier says immediately that a Gamecock is not a rooster, that if cornered it will fight to the death. Liked that.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:09 AM   #20
BiscoCocky
Recruit

Male

BiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervousBiscoCocky is making other chickens nervous

It's not about working harder but working longer, saban obesses over every detail and in the end he still makes stupid mistakes like the end of the iron bowl last year. Spurrier wants himself staff and players to enjoy life, not enjoy only winning football games. For every saban there is a Greg Schiano etc guys who want to control every aspect/ detail of football game who can't coach/call plays for squat, when the Barry Switzer model has worked just as well. In the end it's about finding balance.
BiscoCocky is offline   Reply With Quote