CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Coulwoodwarlord
cockybusiness2
GSC2013
SCohioBoy
SwampFox
taylorssc
ZenUSC
jrussjr
gamecock88
LeeSC
Kentucky prediction (1556)
Mizzou's 30sec touch (1341)
Just Booked my Hotel (1164)
So What? (606)
Best position coach (580)
The New Idea That'll (423)
Serial Cat Killer Ca (308)
Waldrop doubtful for (290)
So What? (204)
Optimism? Week 1-4 o (153)
We Have A New KO Guy
Kentucky prediction
4th & 1 Play
Waldrop doubtful for Kent
Best position coach or co
Optimism? Week 1-4 offens
Build a New Stadium
OSU Coach Takes Down Disr
Upstate Football Games Re
400 pasing yards

Old 08-27-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs
Default One of the great things about SOS

He doesn't have a key ring of plays attached to his belt, a bunch of color-coded cards, a clipboard, etc. It's all in his head and he calls plays based purely on his gut and the feel of the game. Fascinating.
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:35 PM   #2
l^l^lBGCock
4-Star

Male

l^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPit
Default Re: One of the great things about SOS

Old school.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:53 PM   #3
The Octopus
Recruit

Male

The Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18IsTheMan View Post
a clipboard, etc.
He holds a Play Sheet. Not sure if that's similar to what you're talking about here or not though.
The Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:25 PM   #4
thekob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Everything I've read indicates that his mind, especially when it comes to football plays in incredible.

I wish that somehow he'd be able to coach USC and be a commentator....that'd be epic.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
ACPhilson
Really hates Orange Teams

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
ACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
Everything I've read indicates that his mind, especially when it comes to football plays in incredible.

I wish that somehow he'd be able to coach USC and be a commentator....that'd be epic.
http://youtu.be/XCVxG7lwwFY

See how that works. It's pretty old, but still cool.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
Cockadoo
Starter

Male

Cockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post

He still talks about specific plays during whatever quarter, what down it was, etc. that happened while he was at Duke. That to me is remarkable. I would never be able to do that, even if it was last year.

Cockadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

Dude is sharp as a tack. He remembers exact situations from exact games from MANY years ago and can quote them like they were yesterday.

Unreal mind.
treys1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:12 PM   #8
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

He grew up and played in an era when the QB called their own plays on the field.

I wish it were still that way. No plays being signaled in from the sidelines or players running in with them from the coaches.

You had to have a QB who was talented enough to execute the plays and sharp enough to call the plays as the game dictated.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #9
Big-Cock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 200
Big-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACPhilson View Post
http://youtu.be/XCVxG7lwwFY

See how that works. It's pretty old, but still cool.
I bet we don't have players that act like that lineman anymore.
Big-Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:42 PM   #10
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 19008950
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Two things Spurrier does that I love to see. The first expression--while it's fun to watch him--is actually quite frustrating. It's when he sees something that the QB doesn't see. And then the QB goes the opposite way with the ball and it's incomplete or a bad play. The HBC gets this sour smile and shakes his head at the QB as if he's saying, "You dumb-ss!"

Then, when we've called a play and the QB looks over at him, and he nods urgently as if to say, "You've got the matchup...hike the d-mn ball!" Then the QB snaps it, fires it right where it's supposed to be and we prance in for 6. The look on Spurrier's face is priceless. He nods, grins tightly and starts walking. You can tell he's thinking, "Yeah, boys...I've still got it, and I taught it to them, too."

Love Steve Spurrier!
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:58 PM   #11
USCNowAndForever
Recruit

Male

USCNowAndForever is sharpening his clawsUSCNowAndForever is sharpening his clawsUSCNowAndForever is sharpening his clawsUSCNowAndForever is sharpening his clawsUSCNowAndForever is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18IsTheMan View Post
He doesn't have a key ring of plays attached to his belt, a bunch of color-coded cards, a clipboard, etc. It's all in his head and he calls plays based purely on his gut and the feel of the game. Fascinating.
Although you didn't explicitly say it here, I get the idea that you are operating under the belief that there is something objectively wrong with a key ring of plays attached to a belt, a bunch of color-coded cards, a clipboard, etc.

There is nothing objectively wrong with that stuff. A lot of good coaches, with offenses better than Spurrier's offense, use that kind of stuff...Now, the fact that they have better offenses than Spurrier is not necessarily proof that the stuff you mentioned contributes to them having better offenses than Spurrier's offense. In fact, it could be that the stuff they use hinders the performance of their offenses, and they would actually do even better than they do now if they adopted Spurrier's method.

It's dumb for you to imply that Spurrier's method is somehow superior.

I would argue it's inferior to other methods, like Paul Johnson's If-Then sheet (Granted, I haven't seen Spurrier's play sheet, so maybe he incorporates the If-Then methodology into his play calling process). It's really simple. Although Paul Johnson uses the If-Then methodology to call plays for his Flexbone offense, it can be adapted to most, if not all offenses.
  • IF-Defense in 8 man front
    • Then- Run over (ends unbalanced).
      • Reason- To gain a 1/2 man advantage.
        • Explanation- 8 man fronts, have to get a little creative when adjusting to end over formations. This can leave them vulnerable to triple option to either side. To go even further into damaging an 8 man front, run twins over, with a slot on the LOS (shown below) to keep both receivers eligible. When running ends over, look for the free safety's declaration, and run opposite.

• Ends Over
Ends over formation, both ends eligible
  • IF- Force players on the line of scrimmage (LOS).
    • Then- Run Tight (Nasty split double slot).
      • Reason- You gain blocking leverage by bringing in the wideouts.
        • Explanation- The wideouts can now effectively crack block your force players, thereby out leveraging the defense and getting to the perimeter.

•  "Nasty" Split 
  • IF- Facing odd stack (5-3 look).
    • Then- Run tackles over unbalanced (Heavy).
      • Reason- Unbalanced looks give odd stack teams trouble.
        • Explanation- Odd stack fronts have some trouble adjusting to unbalanced sets that are unbalanced with a 3 man surface. Similar to the ends over example (8 man front), look for FS declaration and run opposite. Also, if you can outflank the DE/invert, run outside with crack blocking to that side until a DB becomes "nosey" attempting to stop the run. Run veer pass when this DB has become a problem.

• Heavy
  • IF- 2 or 3 technique playside.
    • Then- Run midline.
      • Reason- A gap bubble.
        • Explanation- A gap is open, with B gap defender to read. No need to run triple at a 3 technique when you can run midline. Force the defense to get into 2I's, so you can run triple again (B gap bubble).
  • IF- No 2 or 3 technique playside.
    • Then- Run triple.
      • Reason- B gap bubble (same reason as above).
        • Explanation- Triple is what we are here to do, if the defense gives us a soft B gap, we are going to attack it with the triple.
  • IF- Handoff key turns shoulders ("sitter"/squat technique).
    • Then- Run zone dive.
      • Reason- Cloudy read.
        • Explanation- When a read key is giving your QB fits, block him. Remember "Easy to read = hard to block, hard to read = easy to block. Since a squat technique is hard to read, he's easy to block. You can also run load or toad (tackle load) option at him (basically triple but fullback or tackle blocks handoff key).

• Zone Dive
  • IF- Pitch Key turns shoulders (squat or sitter technique).
    • Then- Run Rocket.
      • Reason- Force player has lost leverage by turning.
        • Explanation- If the pitch key is turning and squatting, he will not be aggressive enough to force the Rocket toss, thereby allowing us to outflank him.

• IF- Secondary rotates with motion.
    • Then- Run counter iso/option.
      • Reason- No backside force player.
        • Explanation. Teams that jump motion, often put themselves in a poor position in that they lose their backside force player. This is a gamble by the DC, make him pay for it, by catching him a man short at the point of attack (POA).
          Counter Iso

• IF- Secondary rotates with motion (2).
    • Then- Run triple pass or waggle (off Rocket action).
      • Reason- No seam player (triple pass); Curl/flat player out leveraged (Waggle).
        • Explanation- Triple pass catches them with the seam player coming at the LOS and waggle catches them with the curl/flat player caught inside off run action.

•  Veer pass (Vertical or Whip Route)
  •  Waggle off Rocket Action  
  • IF- 4I's.
    • Then- Run midline.
      • Reason- Handoff key too far removed from POA.
        • Explanation- Midline at a 4I is dangerous. Even better is midline triple. The 4I is simply too far removed from the action to be effective against the fullback (FB).
  • IF- Double Eagle (TNT) look.
    • Then- Run Rocket.
      • Reason- Numbers advantage on the perimeter.
        • Explanation- Double eagle puts too many people in the box to run between the tackles, so test the flank. If they over load to force they are weak on playaction.

• Rocket vs. Double Eagle
  • IF- Triangle (3 in box outside the B gap).
    • Then- Run zone dive.
      • Reason- Numbers advantage inside.
        • Explanation- Teams that attempt to put players on the edge of the box are weak in the middle, run zone dive to exploit this weakness.

•  Triangle 
  • IF- Force players on the LOS.
    • Then- Run Rocket with switch blocking.
      • Reason- Blocking leverage.
        • Explanation- By cracking the force player you now have leverage on the perimeter.
  • IF- Defense is blitzing.
    • Then- Run Rocket.
      • Reason- Soft flank.
        • Explanation- Defenses that blitz the triple, find themselves with weakened flanks and poor pursuit angles on quick hitting plays such as the rocket (and we don't have to block anything from a 5 technique back, which includes your blitzers).
  • IF- Stunting.
    • Then- Run zone dive.
      • Reason- Cutback run.
        • Explanation- Same reason teams run inside zone, to eliminate the effectiveness of stunts, zone dive does the same thing.
  • IF- Middle of the field closed (MOFC).
    • Then- Run 4 verticals.
      • Reason- Attacks the seams and FS with 2 defenders in his zone.
        • Explanation- Now I know all the haters out there will say 4 verticals are not a problem, but you got to try it vs. 1 high teams at least once a game to show the opponent you DO have the balls to attempt it. Very important for slots to run down the hashes and the receivers to run down the field outside the numbers. Also very good from a trips look to, as most teams will overplay their FS to trips.

•  4 Verticals from trips look 
  • IF- Linebackers overpursue.
    • Then- Run zone dive, counter iso/option.
      • Reason- Numbers advantage away from action.
        • Explanation- Counter iso was our bread and butter, as it makes teams pay for overpursuit, and it doesn't tip off overpursuing defenders by pulling linemen. Make the defense pay for trying to cheat and get guys across the midline!
  • IF- Taking away FB.
    • Then- Run zone dive or speed option.
      • Reason- Keeps the ball in FB's hands.
        • Explanation- The FB is 1 of your best runners, you need to find a way to keep the ball in his hands even if the defense is doing a good job taking him away from you on triple and midline.

•  Speed Option 
  • IF- Stunting A gap.
    • Then- Run triple.
      • Reason- B gap bubble.
        • Explanation- We want to run triple to a soft B gap, so let them stunt to the A.
  • IF- Stunting A and B gaps.
    • Then- Run zone dive.
      • Reason- Zone blocking/cutback run.
        • Explanation- Again, let them stunt, zone blocking was made for this, and it keeps your best runner with the football in his hands.
  • IF- Stunting A, B, and C gaps.
    • Then- Run Rocket.
      • Reason- Soft flank.
        • Explanation- Anytime the middle is mass confusion, run outside. Stunting and blitzing can be controlled by the old adage "Run where they ain't". Rocket does this, and does it by not blocking any "box" player playside, thereby getting more offensive bodies to the perimeter to block and already weakened flank.
  • IF- Odd front with 4I's.
    • Then- Run Loop scheme.
      • Reason- Read 4I, put him on island.
        • Explanation- A lot of odd front teams are going to this look, running loop scheme can still keep the triple option a viable part of your offense, just watch the beating your FB will take due to the proximity of the handoff key. Keep the 4I even more confused by running loop trap and midline at him.

•  Loop Scheme 
  • IF- All inside gaps occupied (Bear look).
    • Then- Run Rocket.
      • Reason- Outnumbered on the perimeter.
        • Explanation- Teams that load the middle, leave the perimeter soft, make them pay by running the quickest hitting outside run in all of football.
Source: http://footballislifeblog.blogspot.c...dology-to.html

There's nothing wrong with going with your gut, but to only call plays from the hip, and "gut instinct", is foolish.

With all that said, I highly doubt Spurrier just calls plays on gut instinct alone; that's probably hyperbole and bull**** that is perpetuated by fans who have no idea how football coaching actually works.

The best way to call plays is to combine a variety of playcalling philosophies and playcalling methods to create a "best of all worlds" playcalling system.

As a side note, I detest the playchart attached to a belt that dangles around the coach's ankles. So tacky. And personally, the edges of the playchart scraping against my legs would drive me crazy.
USCNowAndForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:05 PM   #12
USCNowAndForever
Recruit

Male

USCNowAndForever is sharpening his clawsUSCNowAndForever is sharpening his clawsUSCNowAndForever is sharpening his clawsUSCNowAndForever is sharpening his clawsUSCNowAndForever is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post
He grew up and played in an era when the QB called their own plays on the field.
And yet, ironically, he doesn't let the QBs call their own plays on the field.

Quote:
I wish it were still that way. No plays being signaled in from the sidelines or players running in with them from the coaches.

You had to have a QB who was talented enough to execute the plays and sharp enough to call the plays as the game dictated.
Mike Leach's QBs have done this for years. He often just signals in the formation and lets the QB call the play. You have to set up your offense to facilitate this. You also have to train your QBs to do this, and then trust them to do it.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:06 PM   #13
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Hal Mumme is the only play caller I've ever seen that didn't have a playsheet.

I guess Mike Leach too.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:09 PM   #14
airborne09
Blue Chip

Male

airborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervous

Ok
airborne09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #15
TheUSCMike
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 4250
TheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot material

Not so fast my friend

TheUSCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #16
USCNowAndForever
Recruit

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Hal Mumme is the only play caller I've ever seen that didn't have a playsheet.

I guess Mike Leach too.
Leach has a playsheet...of sorts...

He has a piece of paper with all the plays on it. Whenever a play works, he puts a circle next to it. When a play does not work, he puts a red X next to it. If I am not mistaken, on the same piece of paper, he has a letter representing each skill position in his offense (X, H, F, Y, Z). He uses this to track the passing attempt distribution to make sure they are spreading the ball around to all the skill positions. This could just be hyperbole though.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/04/ma...anted=all&_r=0
Old 08-27-2014, 05:41 PM   #17
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

I'm guessing Mumme had something similar since they come from the same pedigree. I just remember that huge towel he carried on his shoulder while signaling in ball plays.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:56 PM   #18
Cocks N Stuff
Recruit

Male

Cocks N Stuff has hatched from the shell

[quote=USCNowAndForever;4237781]Although you didn't explicitly say it here, I get the idea that you are operating under the belief that there is something objectively wrong with a key ring of plays attached to a belt, a bunch of color-coded cards, a clipboard, etc.

There is nothing objectively wrong with that stuff. A lot of good coaches, with offenses better than Spurrier's offense, use that kind of stuff...Now, the fact that they have better offenses than Spurrier is not necessarily proof that the stuff you mentioned contributes to them having better offenses than Spurrier's offense. In fact, it could be that the stuff they use hinders the performance of their offenses, and they would actually do even better than they do now if they adopted Spurrier's method.

It's dumb for you to imply that Spurrier's method is somehow superior.

I would argue it's inferior to other methods, like Paul Johnson's If-Then sheet (Granted, I haven't seen Spurrier's play sheet, so maybe he incorporates the If-Then methodology into his play calling process). It's really simple. Although Paul Johnson uses the If-Then methodology to call plays for his Flexbone offense, it can be adapted to most, if not all offenses.
  • IF-Defense in 8 man front
    • Then- Run over (ends unbalanced).
      • Reason- To gain a 1/2 man advantage.
        • Explanation- 8 man fronts, have to get a little creative when adjusting to end over formations. This can leave them vulnerable to triple option to either side. To go even further into damaging an 8 man front, run twins over, with a slot on the LOS (shown below) to keep both receivers eligible. When running ends over, look for the free safety's declaration, and run opposite.

• Ends Over
Ends over formation, both ends eligible
  • IF- Force players on the line of scrimmage (LOS).
    • Then- Run Tight (Nasty split double slot).
      • Reason- You gain blocking leverage by bringing in the wideouts.
        • Explanation- The wideouts can now effectively crack block your force players, thereby out leveraging the defense and getting to the perimeter.

• "Nasty" Split
  • IF- Facing odd stack (5-3 look).
    • Then- Run tackles over unbalanced (Heavy).
      • Reason- Unbalanced looks give odd stack teams trouble.
        • Explanation- Odd stack fronts have some trouble adjusting to unbalanced sets that are unbalanced with a 3 man surface. Similar to the ends over example (8 man front), look for FS declaration and run opposite. Also, if you can outflank the DE/invert, run outside with crack blocking to that side until a DB becomes "nosey" attempting to stop the run. Run veer pass when this DB has become a problem.

• Heavy
  • IF- 2 or 3 technique playside.
    • Then- Run midline.
      • Reason- A gap bubble.
        • Explanation- A gap is open, with B gap defender to read. No need to run triple at a 3 technique when you can run midline. Force the defense to get into 2I's, so you can run triple again (B gap bubble).
  • IF- No 2 or 3 technique playside.
    • Then- Run triple.
      • Reason- B gap bubble (same reason as above).
        • Explanation- Triple is what we are here to do, if the defense gives us a soft B gap, we are going to attack it with the triple.
  • IF- Handoff key turns shoulders ("sitter"/squat technique).
    • Then- Run zone dive.
      • Reason- Cloudy read.
        • Explanation- When a read key is giving your QB fits, block him. Remember "Easy to read = hard to block, hard to read = easy to block. Since a squat technique is hard to read, he's easy to block. You can also run load or toad (tackle load) option at him (basically triple but fullback or tackle blocks handoff key).

• Zone Dive
  • IF- Pitch Key turns shoulders (squat or sitter technique).
    • Then- Run Rocket.
      • Reason- Force player has lost leverage by turning.
        • Explanation- If the pitch key is turning and squatting, he will not be aggressive enough to force the Rocket toss, thereby allowing us to outflank him.

• IF- Secondary rotates with motion.
    • Then- Run counter iso/option.
      • Reason- No backside force player.
        • Explanation. Teams that jump motion, often put themselves in a poor position in that they lose their backside force player. This is a gamble by the DC, make him pay for it, by catching him a man short at the point of attack (POA).
          Counter Iso

• IF- Secondary rotates with motion (2).
    • Then- Run triple pass or waggle (off Rocket action).
      • Reason- No seam player (triple pass); Curl/flat player out leveraged (Waggle).
        • Explanation- Triple pass catches them with the seam player coming at the LOS and waggle catches them with the curl/flat player caught inside off run action.

• Veer pass (Vertical or Whip Route)
  • Waggle off Rocket Action
  • IF- 4I's.
    • Then- Run midline.
      • Reason- Handoff key too far removed from POA.
        • Explanation- Midline at a 4I is dangerous. Even better is midline triple. The 4I is simply too far removed from the action to be effective against the fullback (FB).
  • IF- Double Eagle (TNT) look.
    • Then- Run Rocket.
      • Reason- Numbers advantage on the perimeter.
        • Explanation- Double eagle puts too many people in the box to run between the tackles, so test the flank. If they over load to force they are weak on playaction.

[list] Rocket vs. Double Eagle [*][b]IF-[/
Cocks N Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:56 PM   #19
USCNowAndForever
Recruit

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I just remember that huge towel he carried on his shoulder while signaling in ball plays.
Hahaha
Old 08-27-2014, 05:57 PM   #20
Cocks N Stuff
Recruit

Male

Cocks N Stuff has hatched from the shell

Why
Cocks N Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote