CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
ZenUSC
WeStillOwnUSC
Coulwoodwarlord
gamecock88
Yearofthegamecock
TAFC 5 1981
LeeSC
SpurProsecutor
Kentucky prediction (1976)
Just Booked my Hotel (1330)
Best position coach (693)
So What? (663)
The New Idea That'll (651)
Waldrop doubtful for (583)
We Have A New KO Guy (458)
Serial Cat Killer Ca (386)
So What? (245)
Optimism? Week 1-4 o (238)
Waldrop doubtful for Kent
Thoughts on the basketbal
If we loose to Kensucky..
Best position coach or co
What fish do you eat
I'm over the loss, but...
Kentucky prediction
OSU Coach Takes Down Disr
UK promoting a blackout f
Looking for 2 for Kentuck

Old 08-29-2014, 10:16 AM   #1
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs
Default So, Dylan Thompson?

What's the general sentiment?

Frankly, I was highly unimpressed. Defense aside, his passing was simply not sharp. He routinely overthrew receivers. Coming out after halftime when we desperately needed a score to turn the tide, he missed BADLY on 3 straight throws and we punted. Several times when scrambling he ran out of bounds for a loss instead of throwing the ball away. Overall he was 20/40, which is slightly lower than his career completion percentage of 55%.

Honestly, I know we all like to remember the Clemson game he started and looked great in but he really didn't look all that great most of last year.

Much as I am perplexed how the coaches were so clueless about our defense being so poor, I am equally perplexed how SOS could think Thompson was ready to play well.

He didn't.
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:18 AM   #2
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material
Default Re: So, Dylan Thompson?

I like Dylan, but if our D can't vastly improve we should start worrying about the future and getting Mitch some serious playing time so we don't start next year with a green QB.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:19 AM   #3
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

WTF are you talking about? DT set career-highs with 366 yards passing and four touchdowns.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:20 AM   #4
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
WTF are you talking about? DT set career-highs with 366 yards passing and four touchdowns.
To be fair, his career consists of 3 games.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #5
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs

Quote:
Look at the stat sheet, bro. We only ran the ball 22 times. He got that many yards because we HAD to throw. Even so, he only completed 50% of his passes and had a 71.5 QBR. Neither of those are good stats.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #6
thekob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

The offense had it's issues, but the passing game wasn't one of them. He did what he did without a running game. Not having a running game also made us either score or get off the field faster than we should have, giving their team a ton more chances than we should have given 'em.

If we had any semblance of a running game, it would've been a lot closer.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:23 AM   #7
cockthehammer
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
cockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
And half his passes were incomplete. 50% is not good enough, it will kill to many drives. Having said that I expect him to improve.
cockthehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:23 AM   #8
kevhugh
Bowl MVP

Male

kevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurskevhugh has earned his spurs

I believe DT will be fine. I think if he gets a few more starts under his belt he will settle down. Much like the Missouri game, I think the hype and the big game atmosphere led him to get happy feet and make several high throws. It happens.

On the other hand, he is a 5th year senior. If the defense continues to stink up the joint, I wouldn't mind seeing Mitch get some experience this season.
kevhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:23 AM   #9
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

Was I the only one noticing him missing receivers badly? Sure, there were some drops, but sometimes a QB has to help receivers out. I just can't get away from the 3 horrible throws to start the 2nd half. I blinked and we were punting already.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:23 AM   #10
JDStud6
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 475
JDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudly

He's very inconsistent. He overthrew several last night. We just have to accept a 45-55% completion and an INT or two every game. He wasn't the reason we lost, but he certainly wasn't impressive.

Of course our "stellar" OL and running game didn't help him at all.

Let's just hope that aTm is REALLY good this year.

JD
JDStud6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:24 AM   #11
sunbeam
Recruit

Male

sunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talons

Eh, I was hoping to see some improvement from last year.

Watching the game last night I was struck by how often he throws off balance without setting his feet and stepping into it, or at least rolling his shoulders.

Watch the game film again, he has a number of passes where he just tosses it with his arm, no other kind of body movement.

Whatever his relative lack of experience, I kind of think things like that aren't going to be fixed at this point in his career.

I'm definitely not a fan of the kind of offense you guys want when you talk about putting Mitch in. But as of now, it seems to me that what we saw last night was about all Thompson will ever be able to do. Give him this, he is not scared of pressure, and will hang in and make the effort to throw the ball. But he doesn't seem to make accurate enough passes to make the intermediate and short passing game work.

If they aren't going to have him run read option much, they might as well put in Mitch. My guess is he passes at least as well, and he might improve. Not sure we are going to see improvement with Thompson.
sunbeam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:24 AM   #12
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

DT would have had to throw for 700 yards and 8 TDs in order to quiet his dissenters.

He indeed missed some throws high and floated some.

He also zipped some balls in there and kept the team within 24 pts.

I am okay with DT's play last night.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:24 AM   #13
Cockdiesel7
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1318
Cockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudly

What else do you want dylan to do? When he threw it over the middle it was dropped. When he scrambled receivers just stood their and didn't adjust. Cannot blame anything on dylan. People say minus 2 big plays offense did nothing.. Well dylan put the ball on the money and receivers did what they were supposed to do, so those were earned. Its hard to throw the ball when the defense only has to rush 3 and 4 because we were down so much and had to throw
Cockdiesel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #14
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevhugh View Post
I believe DT will be fine. I think if he gets a few more starts under his belt he will settle down. Much like the Missouri game, I think the hype and the big game atmosphere led him to get happy feet and make several high throws. It happens.

On the other hand, he is a 5th year senior. If the defense continues to stink up the joint, I wouldn't mind seeing Mitch get some experience this season.
Needing a few more starts means this season is a wash for us. He's a 5th year senior so there's no point in grooming him. If a few more starts is what he needs, then the season is lost and we might as well go ahead and start working on the future with one of our backups.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #15
usc90grad
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 420000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

He looked nervous most of the game. Too many high passes. Never set his feet before he threw. There's a reason he hasn't started until this year.

Hopefully he settles down, limits his mistakes and Mike Davis becomes the face of the offense and takes the pressure off Dylan.
usc90grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:27 AM   #16
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

...and that is the real reason for the thread. This is a way to say the backup should play.

Last season saw the same sentiments.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #17
JDStud6
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 475
JDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudly

Our best bet is to talk to the backup aTm QB and see if he wants to bring his 5 stars to us next year :)

JD
JDStud6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #18
NAGamecockFan
Philippians 4:13

Male

NAGamecockFan has earned his spursNAGamecockFan has earned his spursNAGamecockFan has earned his spursNAGamecockFan has earned his spursNAGamecockFan has earned his spursNAGamecockFan has earned his spursNAGamecockFan has earned his spurs

I say start Mitch. It's very apparent to me (already) that this isn't the year. Let him play now and get the experience for next year.
NAGamecockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #19
thekob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

He's no Connor Shaw but he's also no Chris Smelley. It's also pretty clear that there's not a close #2. He's our best option, regardless of opinions. His performance was far from the issue.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #20
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
...and that is the real reason for the thread. This is a way to say the backup should play.
If last night is the best he can play, then absolutely. Maybe it's not. Maybe last night was a train wreck on all accounts and our defense really isn't that bad, or OL really isn't the bad and our offense really isn't that bad.