CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
COCKYTALKIN
WeStillOwnUSC
thekob
El Cid Ranger
MountainCock
kingoftheroost
GarnetSwarm1990
taylorssc
USCNowAndForever
gamecock88
Interesting quotes f (2649)
Have you ever been s (1655)
Key for 2015 defense (994)
Skai Moore out for U (908)
Women's Team Ranked (624)
Lebron makes Clevela (526)
Troubles in Tigertow (467)
SEC Coaches Dress Up (356)
Cockaboose Video (294)
TN game weather (187)
TN game weather
FSU vs. Louisville
Uniforms for Tenn
Who is your favorite play
Key for 2015 defense
***2014 Carolina Panthers
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
USC/Tennessee 11/1/2014
Cockaboose Video
Where do you like to sit

Old 08-29-2014, 11:41 AM   #1
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs
Default Confused fan here. Why is SOS ticked about D?

He's been in all the practices and film sessions, right? Was last night the first he was learning of our new defensive scheme? I love the OBC, but don't call out your defensive coaches when you knew all along what was going on. I find it impossible to believe the D we saw last night could have looked good in practice. The only explanation I can think of is that we're so bad on both sides of the ball that we actually looked good as a team in practice.
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 420000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad
Default Re: Confused fan here. Why is SOS ticked about D?

You don't know how good or bad you really are until the live ammo starts.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:43 AM   #3
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post
You don't know how good or bad you really are until the live ammo starts.
There had to be some indication that the D was THAT BAD though. It's not like they were just slightly worse than everyone thought.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:45 AM   #4
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18IsTheMan View Post
He's been in all the practices and film sessions, right? Was last night the first he was learning of our new defensive scheme? I love the OBC, but don't call out your defensive coaches when you knew all along what was going on. I find it impossible to believe the D we saw last night could have looked good in practice. The only explanation I can think of is that we're so bad on both sides of the ball that we actually looked good as a team in practice.
He knows the personel situation, but he doesn't sit in on them during film, and he doesn't micro manage them during individual. A head coach should be comfortable leaving his coaches to prepare their players without watching over every move. Ward and the defensive staff did a horrible job coaching these guys up for this game, however young they maybe. A&M figured the defense out quickly, and if they made adjustments on the USC defense, it was hard to find because Hill kept abusing the left side and middle of the field.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:46 AM   #5
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803scdantes View Post
There had to be some indication that the D was THAT BAD though. It's not like they were just slightly worse than everyone thought.
This.

Yes, if we just weren't quite as good as they thought, that's one thing. But this was, statistically speaking, one of the worst defensive efforts in our history. And they didn't see it coming at all??
Old 08-29-2014, 11:46 AM   #6
sunbeam
4-Star

Male

sunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talons

The same reason he was pissed at John Thompson's stand up defense.

He was shocked, shocked to see us playing a stand up defense, and had to promote Nix to full DC to fix that.
sunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:48 AM   #7
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
He knows the personel situation, but he doesn't sit in on them during film, and he doesn't micro manage them during individual. A head coach should be comfortable leaving his coaches to prepare their players without watching over every move. Ward and the defensive staff did a horrible job coaching these guys up for this game, however young they maybe. A&M figured the defense out quickly, and if they made adjustments on the USC defense, it was hard to find because Hill kept abusing the left side and middle of the field.
I sort of get your point, but still there's the practices. Doesn't the 1st team offense go against the 1st team defense? Did he not see anything there? If our offense made our D look good in practice, then what does that say about our offense?
Old 08-29-2014, 11:48 AM   #8
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit

Quote:
This.

Yes, if we just weren't quite as good as they thought, that's one thing. But this was, statistically speaking, one of the worst defensive efforts in our history. And they didn't see it coming at all??
not one of, THE worst defensive game in SC history. I can handle losing a close game, but to get completely pwned on every play on defense- that's not supposed to be something that blindsides you. I think TAMU only had like 5 negative yard plays all game.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:48 AM   #9
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803scdantes View Post
I honestly think even Spurrier was shocked at how the D played last night.

Just like the A&M coach was probably shocked at how well his QB played.

Remember Vegas had us as 10.5 pt favorites.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:52 AM   #10
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

And I don't give A&M any credit for it. Our D was simply non-existent. It wasn't some great game plan they had. I don't take away from the outcome...they raped us. But they didn't have to work for anything. Seemingly every pass was a big gainer, first down yardage pass.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:53 AM   #11
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

Quote:

But that again begs the question: what was going on in practice? If they looked decent in practice, then that means our offense sucks just as much.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:00 PM   #12
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 16972586
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I sort of get your point, but still there's the practices. Doesn't the 1st team offense go against the 1st team defense? Did he not see anything there? If our offense made our D look good in practice, then what does that say about our offense?
Exactly! I think about the scrimmage where our running game was shut down. Holy crap that demonstrates to me that our offensive line has major issues.

I'm as down on this group as anyone (predicted 5-7 in another thread) but I won't discount passion and the will to win.

If they scrap the 3-4 (for the most part) and can somehow find the best 11 on defense (I didn't see much for any of them to give me hope), and the best offensive line rotation, then I think we can make some strides and maybe have a decent recovery.

Lot of "IFs"!
Legalman72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:00 PM   #13
highstick
Recruit

Male

highstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurs

Quote:

Cause you're no fan...just a Clempson troll! Get out of here!
highstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:04 PM   #14
USC843
Recruit

Male

USC843 has feathers coming inUSC843 has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by highstick View Post
Cause you're no fan...just a Clempson troll! Get out of here!
Shut up. Being critical of your own team is essential. Being a sunshine pumper helps no one.
USC843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:11 PM   #15
ChickenButt
4-Star

Male

ChickenButt has hatched from the shell

Quote:
And I don't give A&M any credit for it. Our D was simply non-existent. It wasn't some great game plan they had. I don't take away from the outcome...they raped us. But they didn't have to work for anything. Seemingly every pass was a big gainer, first down yardage pass.
Give me a break, Kenny Hill was money all night. The box score says he had 16 incompletions, but I don't recall more than a couple of actual bad throws by him on the few occasions we managed to bring pressure. We played bad, but aTm looked like a team on a mission.
ChickenButt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:13 PM   #16
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

Quote:
But that again begs the question: what was going on in practice? If they looked decent in practice, then that means our offense sucks just as much.
Good question. Just guessing, but I assume Spurrier knew we had some weak spots on D, but Ward probably assured him they would be okay. But I doubt SOS thought it was as bad as what we saw last night.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:16 PM   #17
USC843
Recruit

Male

USC843 has feathers coming inUSC843 has feathers coming in

Something needs to be pointed out that I dont think anyone has mentioned yet. That was possibly the best offensive line we will see all year and possibly in the last 2-3 years. They have 3 first rounders starting on that line. We wont see anything like that again.
USC843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:17 PM   #18
Mr. Burns
No Soul

Male

CockyCash: 447110
Mr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot material

Quote:

Vegas didn't know that A&M's offense would be playing against 11 traffic cones.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:20 PM   #19
southerntramp
Game MVP

Male

southerntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudly

Given what I know (I played college football) and what USC has player wise...all I needed to hear was this 3-4 crap they put it months ago.
southerntramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:20 PM   #20
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
Vegas didn't know that A&M's offense would be playing against 11 traffic cones.
Traffic cones? You thought we played that good?