CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Regalcock
thumpin big
ConwayGamecock
JerseyBird
rabid cock
RGHoskins
peterlemon
smoovecock
markymark550
Gamecocks1137
Brad Lawing (1782)
Currently 2nd in att (1063)
Constant Updates on (963)
**USC vs. UNC-Ashevi (954)
Alshon - Bose (928)
Ced Cooper (#18) sta (855)
How cool would it be (763)
Garcia vs Clemson To (612)
Carolina/Clemson gam (503)
Awesome time waster (442)
Where to watch in Arlingt
**USC vs. UNC-Asheville G
Constant Updates on Watso
Props to Volleyball!
Andrew Clifford Scooter A
Garcia vs Clemson Tom
Currently 2nd in attendan
Brad Lawing
THE ONE MARCUS LATTIMORE
Coaching Carousel 2014/15

Old 08-30-2014, 03:57 AM   #1
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit
Default Kevin Sumlin Thoughts.

I just wanted to start by saying I don't know much about Kevin Sumlin but as a fan of a team he will be playing every year for a while I watched his interviews over the past couple weeks. I must say that he reminds me of an old friend I used to work with and that is a good thing. He seems to be a very driven and polite individual. Even in the pre game when he was speaking to Spurrier he was very humble saying we had a nice place knowing we can't compete right now with the money that is being pumped into their program but his comments seemed genuine. Now I am not the most trusting individual so in my paranoia it could be him just knowing that people are watching him and he is playing the game knowing we will see him a lot in the future. But with him I don't think so, with the direction they are heading we could be watching another legend developing right in front of us.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:00 AM   #2
GabbieM
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 850
GabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudly
Default Re: Kevin Sumlin Thoughts.

I was speaking about this earlier. He is definitely one of those coaches that knows how to coach. The NFL might even pick this guy up eventually.

I believe he was player (OLB) ranked very highly in his college days. I also remember hearing something about his old job before becoming a coach and it was totally on the other end of the world from coaching. I just can't recall the job.
GabbieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:04 AM   #3
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabbieM View Post
I was speaking about this earlier. He is definitely one of those coaches that knows how to coach. The NFL might even pick this guy up eventually.

I believe he was player (OLB) ranked very highly in his college days. I also remember hearing something about his old job before becoming a coach and it was totally on the other end of the world from coaching. I just can't recall the job.
For our sake I hope the NFL steals him away lol. He was an insurance salesman couldn't stand being behind a desk though.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:06 AM   #4
GabbieM
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 850
GabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudlyGabbieM is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
For our sake I hope the NFL steals him away lol. He was an insurance salesman couldn't stand being behind a desk though.
Ah yes that was it. That actually might explain how he is spoken and all that stuff. He's used to selling people stuff. :P

In the A&M preview, the facilities were insane. They made a good job of making sure everyone could see just how high tech and nice their investments are making things. That's going to get recruits just from the sheer awesome stuff like that. Sumlin is basically "selling" the A&M facilities & brand on some of these potential recruits.. and to be honest.. if I happened to be a kid coming outta HS.... I'd strongly consider based off that facility tour alone.
GabbieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:15 AM   #5
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

Quote:
Ah yes that was it. That actually might explain how he is spoken and all that stuff. He's used to selling people stuff. :P

In the A&M preview, the facilities were insane. They made a good job of making sure everyone could see just how high tech and nice their investments are making things. That's going to get recruits just from the sheer awesome stuff like that. Sumlin is basically "selling" the A&M facilities & brand on some of these potential recruits.. and to be honest.. if I happened to be a kid coming outta HS.... I'd strongly consider based off that facility tour alone.
No kidding I like flashing lights as much as the next person.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:23 AM   #6
zcoop
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 404
zcoop has feathers coming inzcoop has feathers coming in

The guy can coach football and he's gonna have his teams ready to play. The facilities are nice but that alone doesn't win games. I have to give that credit to the coach.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:03 AM   #7
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

CockyCash: 500
Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

I've always liked Sumlin. Back before he took the job at A&M and we had the "When Spurrier leaves, who should we hire threads" I picked Sumlin as my favorite. This was back when he was at Houston.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:09 AM   #8
rabid cock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 300
rabid cock is developing his combrabid cock is developing his combrabid cock is developing his combrabid cock is developing his combrabid cock is developing his combrabid cock is developing his combrabid cock is developing his combrabid cock is developing his combrabid cock is developing his combrabid cock is developing his comb

Quote:

This makes sense as to the relevance of the impression that sort of thing makes on young people. Perhaps we should try to assimilate some of that high tech stuff here, just to see if it has any sort of effect on recruiting. We need to gig'em any way we can.
rabid cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #9
Blackland
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Blackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his comb

He certainly out-coached SOS. Smart, young and entergetic coach based on what I saw.
Blackland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:04 AM   #10
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

We better hope he goes to the Cowboys. If not the beatings will continue. A&M is building a juggernaut
Old 08-30-2014, 11:13 AM   #11
ABATTBQ11
Recruit

Male

ABATTBQ11 is learning to peckABATTBQ11 is learning to peck
Thumbs up Re: Kevin Sumlin Thoughts.

Quote:

He was a walk on at Purdue and finished as their second best tackler. He went into insurance and then decided he'd be happier coaching. He took a GA position and never looked back.

I'm glad to see some love for Sumlin on here. He's a great coach with a great personality. Admittedly, I wanted someone else when we hired him, but I was dead wrong. He is a perfect fit for us, and I hope he stays for a really, really long time.
ABATTBQ11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:53 AM   #12
Taylorspur
Recruit

Taylorspur has earned his spursTaylorspur has earned his spursTaylorspur has earned his spursTaylorspur has earned his spursTaylorspur has earned his spursTaylorspur has earned his spurs

What is all the hype about one coach? His team was prepared, ours was not. One game. Has he won a national title yet?
Taylorspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:00 PM   #13
Badazcock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Badazcock is developing his combBadazcock is developing his combBadazcock is developing his combBadazcock is developing his combBadazcock is developing his combBadazcock is developing his combBadazcock is developing his combBadazcock is developing his combBadazcock is developing his comb

He didnt take kindly to the HBC's 9000 foot banner hanging there bragging. Not SOS's decision but whomever decided that banner was a good Idea should be fired..Anyone else believe in being jinxed??

Witness: White guy, dark hair, green eyes with a mustache about 5'7.

Detective: My, thats an awfully big mustache.
Badazcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:14 PM   #14
JustABigOldCock
Walk On

Male

JustABigOldCock is sharpening his clawsJustABigOldCock is sharpening his clawsJustABigOldCock is sharpening his clawsJustABigOldCock is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorspur View Post
What is all the hype about one coach? His team was prepared, ours was not. One game. Has he won a national title yet?
You serious bro? He mad SOS and our team look like a squad of girl scouts in all facets of the game. They literally were playing NFL caliber football compared to us. If it were a rec league game they would have called it in the first quarter and handed us participation ribbons and a Hi C.
JustABigOldCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:23 PM   #15
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2462144
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

The man definitely brings class to the Conference, ntm a damn good team.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:26 PM   #16
Wisercock
Walk On

Male

Wisercock has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
We better hope he goes to the Cowboys. If not the beatings will continue. A&M is building a juggernaut
My daughter and I were just talking about this. Schools like aTm and FSU will be good for years to come. They are in the sweet spot of college football.

Location, location, location ...
Old 08-30-2014, 01:27 PM   #17
kabercr2
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 900000
kabercr2 is developing his combkabercr2 is developing his combkabercr2 is developing his combkabercr2 is developing his combkabercr2 is developing his combkabercr2 is developing his combkabercr2 is developing his combkabercr2 is developing his comb

Their offensive coordinator is a guy to keep an eye on, they keep this up Im sure he'll be a hot commodity.
kabercr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #18
NinjaSven
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 515
NinjaSven rules the CockPitNinjaSven rules the CockPitNinjaSven rules the CockPitNinjaSven rules the CockPitNinjaSven rules the CockPitNinjaSven rules the CockPitNinjaSven rules the CockPitNinjaSven rules the CockPitNinjaSven rules the CockPitNinjaSven rules the CockPitNinjaSven rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorspur View Post
His national title chances look brighter than ours at the moment. I don't know much about Sumlin, but he sure out-coached our staff.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:34 PM   #19
TAFC 5 1981
Two Deep

Male

TAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
My daughter and I were just talking about this. Schools like aTm and FSU will be good for years to come. They are in the sweet spot of college football.

Location, location, location ...

FSU has an advantage as there key players have get out of jail free cards.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:55 PM   #20
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

Sumlin is an excellent coach. As far as facilities, it hurts us that we're in one of the poorest states in the country. There is so much oil money and so many corporate headquarters in Texas and, while we do have good SEC TV money, there aren't nearly as many fans of substantial means. It's one reason we've always struggled. Now that we've expanded our student population, hopefully there will be some more billionaires grown from our alumni base. Bob McNair is the only one I know of right now.

Edit: How does the University of Alabama football program have so much money? The state of Alabama is just as poor as South Carolina and no larger, population-wise. We're neck and neck in population.