CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
bcolinc
ConwayGamecock
Latti
Gamecocks1137
usc1
kingofnerf
FanofCarolina1
Storm Of Spurs
carcosa
**USC vs. Clemson GA (5706)
Decommitment from Te (951)
Beat Miami (836)
Duck Bowl Depth Char (672)
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBA (650)
Cleveland Browns Hea (632)
Garcia and Clemsux T (621)
Need a dog kennel (254)
Four USC Basketball (187)
NCAAB: CLEMSON @ SOU (185)
Previewing Clemson
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
The Vent and Coaching cha
How Long Will The Rebuild
So, why is next year goin
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBALL PL
2015 - Mark Fields
Duck Bowl Depth Chart
Four USC Basketball Games
looks like we have 2 OL r

Old 09-01-2014, 09:27 PM   #1
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs
Default A&M on 3rd down

3rd and 3: pass for 12 yards
3rd and 5: pass for 22 yards
3rd and 7: rush for 9 yards
3rd and 3: pass incomplete
3rd and 16: rush for 14 yards
3rd and 2: rush for 5 yards
3rd and 1: pass complete for 8
3rd and G (at 2): rush for 2 yards (td)
3rd and 13: rush for 24 yards
3rd and 8: pass for 6
3rd and 9: pass for 10 yards
3rd and 7: pass for 15 yards
3rd and 7: pass for 31 yards
3rd and 11: pass for 10 yards (converted on 4th)
3rd and 4: rush for 3 yards (converted on 4th, run out clock)

Obviously 3rd down was a huge problem for us. Our D actually had itself in several favorable 3rd down situations throughout the game but gave up big gains for conversions. 3rd and long has been a virtual free first down for our opponents for what seems like a generation now.
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #2
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material
Default Re: A&M on 3rd down

When the defenders are all running 10 yards back before turning to look for the ball that's what's going to happen.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:32 PM   #3
Pw00132
Recruit

Male

Pw00132 is sharpening his clawsPw00132 is sharpening his clawsPw00132 is sharpening his clawsPw00132 is sharpening his claws

Shows how young our secondary is. They better learn how to win real fast
Pw00132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:34 PM   #4
GSC2013
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
GSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudly

Whats that old sayin', "3rd times a HARM"
GSC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:34 PM   #5
clemsux614
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 375
clemsux614 is developing his combclemsux614 is developing his combclemsux614 is developing his combclemsux614 is developing his combclemsux614 is developing his combclemsux614 is developing his combclemsux614 is developing his combclemsux614 is developing his combclemsux614 is developing his combclemsux614 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18IsTheMan View Post
3rd and 3: pass for 12 yards
3rd and 5: pass for 22 yards3rd and 7: rush for 9 yards
3rd and 3: pass incomplete
3rd and 16: rush for 14 yards
3rd and 2: rush for 5 yards
3rd and 1: pass complete for 8
3rd and 13: rush for 24 yards
3rd and 8: pass for 6
3rd and 9: pass for 10 yards
3rd and 7: pass for 15 yards
3rd and 7: pass for 31 yards
3rd and 11: pass for 10 yards (converted on 4th)
3rd and 4: rush for 3 yards (converted on 4th, run out clock)

Obviously 3rd down was a huge problem for us. Our D actually had itself in several favorable 3rd down situations throughout the game but gave up big gains for conversions. 3rd and long has been a virtual free first down for our opponents for what seems like a generation now.
Sounds like 3rd and long Charlie Strong defense. lol but wow that really puts the game in perspective. If we were to stop them on 50% of those that we didn't we could be talking about a completely different game.
clemsux614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:34 PM   #6
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs

The stunner to me is giving up a 24 yard rush play on 3rd and 13. A 24 yard pass in that situation would be maddening but a rush for 24 yards is inexcusable.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:39 PM   #7
rt3891
ISLAND COCK

Male

rt3891 has hatched from the shell

Did anyone ever come up with the yards after contact stat. that TAMU had on us? It had to be up there, and yes, the 3rd down conversions were disappointing for us, hopefully Whammy and OBC get that fixed quickly.
rt3891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:39 PM   #8
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1000001185
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

That is what I noticed as well. A big "if" obviously but if we had contained them on 3rd down it would have been a completely different ballgame. They scored on most of those drives.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:41 PM   #9
bcolinc
Blue Chip

Male

bcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudly

I had a little stat sheet like this built up, so thanks for sharing. I really do believe these guys will see the film and learn a whole lot. Eat some humble pie while they're at it. Like I said before, these young guys can't learn from mistakes if they never make them in the first place. We will be much better this weekend. It's time to put the coaching shoes on and let these guys use their athleticism along with further knowledge of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2014, 09:42 PM   #10
GamecockDad1531
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
GamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot material

Not to mention 99 plays without a turnover
GamecockDad1531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:44 PM   #11
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcolinc View Post
I had a little stat sheet like this built up, so thanks for sharing. I really do believe these guys will see the film and learn a whole lot. Eat some humble pie while they're at it. Like I said before, these young guys can't learn from mistakes if they never make them in the first place. We will be much better this weekend. It's time to put the coaching shoes on and let these guys use their athleticism along with further knowledge of the game.

If this happens and they can turn this loss into a massive learning experience, then it could be a blessing in disguise. Better to have your glaring weaknesses exposed in the first game instead of just getting by and having them exposed late in the season.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:47 PM   #12
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

all I know is when your opponent converts 71 percent of hte time and you convert just 20 percent, you ain't setting yourself up for success.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:48 PM   #13
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:

That is the bright side.
They made the mistakes, now lets see if they learn from them.

I guess the saying goes, the only way to get it right is to get it wrong.

Well, we certainly got it wrong Thursday. So our guys should be pretty knowlegdable Saturday.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:52 PM   #14
Schark
4-Star

Male

Schark is crowing loudlySchark is crowing loudlySchark is crowing loudlySchark is crowing loudlySchark is crowing loudlySchark is crowing loudlySchark is crowing loudlySchark is crowing loudlySchark is crowing loudlySchark is crowing loudlySchark is crowing loudly

As a painful as it was I went back and watched the game again. On quite a few of those 3rd downs we had men in position to make the stop who didn't get the job done due to poor execution, fundamentals, and I would dare to say in many cases enthusiasm.

We had a lot of guys trotting around out there. When a defense is clicking you hear the phrase "flying to the ball" and there are defenders coming out of nowhere to get in on the play.

We had the players there to make the stops and we didn't get it done. If we had stopped some of those thirds we could have had a whole different ballgame.

With poor fundamentals and lack of intensity we got we got and we deserved it.

It's up to the coaches and the players to respond to this. If they accept the wake up call that nobody is going to hand you a win in the SEC just for showing up and they start playing up to their potential, the deficits they showed last Thursday are correctable with hard work and dedication.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:54 PM   #15
bcolinc
Blue Chip

Male

bcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
That is the bright side.

They made the mistakes, now lets see if they learn from them.

I guess the saying goes, the only way to get it right is to get it wrong.

Well, we certainly got it wrong Thursday. So our guys should be pretty knowlegdable Saturday.

I totally agree. Add all of that with a new defensive scheme, against that offense we saw, and it was bound to be a long day. This team has been thru a lot of adversity in the past 5 years. We aren't gonna just fold (unlike so many on here seem to believe). It took me two days to kind of accept that beating we took lol. Now I'm already prepping the smoker for the next set of ribs. I'm looking forward to Saturday. Let's go Gamecocks. I'm glad some fellow cocky-talkers on this board are still keeping it real

Old 09-01-2014, 09:55 PM   #16
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

Quote:
I totally agree. Add all of that with a new defensive scheme, against that offense we saw, and it was bound to be a long day. This team has been thru a lot of adversity in the past 5 years. We aren't gonna just fold (unlike so many on here seem to believe). It took me two days to kind of accept that beating we took lol. Now I'm already prepping the smoker for the next set of ribs. I'm looking forward to Saturday. Let's go Gamecocks. I'm glad some fellow cocky-talkers on this board are still keeping it real

Taking orders?
Old 09-01-2014, 09:57 PM   #17
bcolinc
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
If this happens and they can turn this loss into a massive learning experience, then it could be a blessing in disguise. Better to have your glaring weaknesses exposed in the first game instead of just getting by and having them exposed late in the season.

You got it right 18! This could be a good thing for these fellas. That TN loss last year took my heart out of my chest. This loss just made me want to see them do better. We all know we have the personnel to be great. Hopefully they take this and fuel the tanks for the rest of the year.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:59 PM   #18
bcolinc
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Taking orders?

When I finally make it back to South Carolina next year, absolutely. But to be honest, I've yet to perfect any other meat besides the ribs. I had a pork butt tasting like straight up cardboard and pepper. That was a sad day. So, I gotcha on the ribs lol

Old 09-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #19
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

I re-watched and counted 39 missed tackles - at least 4 that would have stopped drives. Players were in place to tackle upfield or before the sticks and didn't. Some were run-by, some were wrap-up tackles that gave them 5-6 yards after contact, but nobody attacked. The reaction of players was pure contain without much of a hit or attempt to dislodge a ball. A couple of times it looked like the route could be jumped on a short pass near the LOS, but nobody broke on the ball. On their WR screen, at least 2 times, the defender just took-on the blocker instead of trying to stop the receiver. The secondary was absolutely giving too much cushion. Better OL pressure would have helped, but the poor tackling was what stood out.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:06 PM   #20
bcolinc
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
I re-watched and counted 39 missed tackles - at least 4 that would have stopped drives. Players were in place to tackle upfield or before the sticks and didn't. Some were run-by, some were wrap-up tackles that gave them 5-6 yards after contact, but nobody attacked. The reaction of players was pure contain without much of a hit or attempt to dislodge a ball. A couple of times it looked like the route could be jumped on a short pass near the LOS, but nobody broke on the ball. On their WR screen, at least 2 times, the defender just took-on the blocker instead of trying to stop the receiver. The secondary was absolutely giving too much cushion. Better OL pressure would have helped, but the poor tackling was what stood out.

It definitely seemed we were out-sized by their receivers. So I thought by halftime we would be better prepared to tackle. But you're right, we weren't as physical as those winter workout videos led me to believe