CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gotrice?
jdaniel
Canefaninsc
Three and Out
Captain9Dragons
Flameout12
AR1
Senior Rooster
TRBTB
Cockhornleghorn
Kyle Davis Dismissed (1379)
With bye week which (779)
DJ Swag pat down (581)
Ryan Succop destroys (360)
The Fall of the Trib (303)
Ole Miss to Houston (281)
Cavalcade of Whimsy: (229)
PJ DOZIER (204)
10 CFP combos Sporti (164)
Dozier Signs with OK (139)
PJ DOZIER
WBB - Wilson selected SEC
Frank Says Real Practice
DJ Swag pat down
Kyle Davis Dismissed from
The Fall of the Tribe of
Bowl pick post week 7
Cack's Toast of the Game
POSSIBLY The Greatest Coa
2018 - Dax Hollifield

Old 03-20-2017, 01:31 AM   #1
Eug Cock
Old Dixie Youth

Male

CockyCash: 500
Eug Cock is crowing loudlyEug Cock is crowing loudlyEug Cock is crowing loudlyEug Cock is crowing loudlyEug Cock is crowing loudlyEug Cock is crowing loudlyEug Cock is crowing loudlyEug Cock is crowing loudlyEug Cock is crowing loudlyEug Cock is crowing loudlyEug Cock is crowing loudly
Default Hey Old Timers! How does this one rank?

Obviously one of our all time best wins for the program.
What games rank as good or better?
How good should we younger fans be feeling?

"Our history is not all that super before we got here..."
-HBC
Eug Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:37 AM   #2
markymark550
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2000
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Hey Old Timers! How does this one rank?

I'm not an old timer, but considering it had been 44 years since our last tournament win and now we're in the Sweet 16, I'd say we should be feeling pretty damned ecstatic right now!
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:44 AM   #3
rabid cock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 10028
rabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eug Cock View Post
Obviously one of our all time best wins for the program.
What games rank as good or better?
How good should we younger fans be feeling?
It really ranks up there with the 1970 ACC regular season Championship and the 1971 ACC Tournament Championship.

The fact that it's our first Sweet 16 makes it all the better, especially the way in which it was done and against whom.
rabid cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:10 AM   #4
Lil Jerry_Seinfeld
Recruit

Male

Lil Jerry_Seinfeld is sharpening his clawsLil Jerry_Seinfeld is sharpening his clawsLil Jerry_Seinfeld is sharpening his clawsLil Jerry_Seinfeld is sharpening his clawsLil Jerry_Seinfeld is sharpening his claws

I was a student during the Watson, McKie, Davis era. For me, this is the greatest win. They beat Duke and are going to the sweet 16. I can't believe it.

My question for older fans than me. Was Frank dressing like McGuire tonight?
Lil Jerry_Seinfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:39 AM   #5
Cockhornleghorn
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1234645173229
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid cock View Post
It really ranks up there with the 1970 ACC regular season Championship and the 1971 ACC Tournament Championship.

The fact that it's our first Sweet 16 makes it all the better, especially the way in which it was done and against whom.
It's our 4th Sweet Sixteen; where are people getting that it's our first?
Old 03-20-2017, 02:50 AM   #6
G&BGamecock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 520
G&BGamecock rules the CockPitG&BGamecock rules the CockPitG&BGamecock rules the CockPitG&BGamecock rules the CockPitG&BGamecock rules the CockPitG&BGamecock rules the CockPitG&BGamecock rules the CockPitG&BGamecock rules the CockPitG&BGamecock rules the CockPitG&BGamecock rules the CockPitG&BGamecock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
I believe it's the first since the tourney expanded to 64 in the mid-80s. Not that it makes it right, but I think that's what everyone has been referring to tonight.
G&BGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:00 AM   #7
lfowens
4-Star

lfowens is crowing loudlylfowens is crowing loudlylfowens is crowing loudlylfowens is crowing loudlylfowens is crowing loudlylfowens is crowing loudlylfowens is crowing loudlylfowens is crowing loudlylfowens is crowing loudlylfowens is crowing loudlylfowens is crowing loudly

I have been a big time fan for over 50 years.

The 1970 ACC regular season Championship team and the 1971 ACC Tournament Championship teams, I think were the best in our history; especially the 1970 team that did not play in the NCAA (that year I think we had the best or at least 2nd best team in the nation).

However, this 2016-2017 team has made it very sweet , because we have never won 2 NCAA tournament games in a season.....and possibly more on he horizon.

I am really pumped! Go Cocks!
lfowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:07 AM   #8
GamecockInAugusta
Honor, Duty, Apostrophes.

Male

CockyCash: 10019050
GamecockInAugusta is USC mascot materialGamecockInAugusta is USC mascot materialGamecockInAugusta is USC mascot materialGamecockInAugusta is USC mascot materialGamecockInAugusta is USC mascot materialGamecockInAugusta is USC mascot materialGamecockInAugusta is USC mascot materialGamecockInAugusta is USC mascot materialGamecockInAugusta is USC mascot materialGamecockInAugusta is USC mascot materialGamecockInAugusta is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
I'm not sure since I wasn't born until the mid-80's, but I think back then they didn't have the same playoff format. I think there were teams that got byes into the "regional semifinals" and outside teams had to play a game or two to get into the regional semis.

Maybe the conference tournament champs of the biggest conferences got 8 spots, then the rest got seeded at-large bids and fought their way through to what is now the Sweet 16? Something like that.
GamecockInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:44 AM   #9
cocknblue
Looking for Lee Ho Fook's

Male

CockyCash: 200
cocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot materialcocknblue is USC mascot material

55 years old here. I would rank this as one of the best wins ever for the program. I'm hesitant to call it THE best ever, but considering what the win accomplished ( punch the ticket to the Sweet 16, knocking off the presumptive favorite to win it all, and doing so in convincing fashion), it certainly ranks alongside defeating the Tar Heels for the ACC title.

But I'm hoping wins are coming this week that could eclipse both of those.

Still....this is an amazing accomplishment. My ONLY regret is that my Dad didn't live to see this day.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:45 AM   #10
SanAntonioCock
Underestimated

Male

CockyCash: 688659210024
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&BGamecock View Post
I believe it's the first since the tourney expanded to 64 in the mid-80s. Not that it makes it right, but I think that's what everyone has been referring to tonight.
This is correct. It wasn't called "Sweet sixteen" and "Elite Eight" until after the Tournament expanded.

🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:51 AM   #11
CoastCocky
Banned

Female

CoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&BGamecock View Post
Yes. More difficult since it takes another win to get to the Sweet 16 now.
CoastCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:57 AM   #12
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

It has taken almost 50 years to get some degree of revenge against one of the main schools which made us want to leave the ACC and I did not know if I would live long enough to see us get that opportunity and make the most of it.

This is special.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:07 AM   #13
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

The win over Duke last night was EPIC !. Huge win for the program no doubt and it
should go down as one of the major events in the history of not only Gamecock
Basketball, but of Gamecock Sports. But realistically, it was a second round win over
a highly ranked team in the Tournament and pretty simply put, it got us to the round of
16 only. When you look at it in the Big Picture kind of way, it is equal to the Football win
over Bama in 2010 when they were ranked #1 in the nation. It was a Milestone in OUR
sports history, but it wasn't the greatest thing that's happened in the history of Gamecock
sports, or even the Basketball team. Winning the ACC tournament in 1971 was a more
important win for the Basketball team, and Winning the SEC Tournament IMO was at
least equal to the win over Duke last night. Comparing it to the History of Gamecock
Sports (In my lifetime), The ACC Championship in 1969 in Football was a bigger event.
The National Title in 2010 in Baseball was bigger and even bigger still was the
Championship and the Back to Back National Titles were much bigger than what we did
last night.

It sounds bad to say it, but because of our lack of wins on a NATIONAL scale in all sports
compared to some of the more traditionally successful programs, last night's win seemed
like a win in a Championship of some kind. It was the first time in the history of the Men's
Basketball team that we had won more than one game in the NCAA tournament in the few
invitations we've gotten to the Dance.

I celebrated the win as loud and as excited as anyone who wears Garnet and Black and
supports Gamecock Sports, but there have been bigger wins in the History of the Basketball
program. ..... Hopefully, we're not through chipping away at Milestones with this team, and
we CAN reach a level with this team that would make this run a first in the history of the
program, but at this point, I'm as proud of this team as much as I would had last night been
in the Finals. It was a big win for us all.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:20 AM   #14
henmania
Bowl MVP

Male

henmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntonioCock View Post
This is correct. It wasn't called "Sweet sixteen" and "Elite Eight" until after the Tournament expanded.

Still teams count the PRE-64 visits to the Sweet 16 in determining how many Sweet 16s they've been too.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:25 AM   #15
LBC
1st Team All-American

Male

LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material

Considering that what we may have done 45 years ago could not possibly be more irrelevant today you young bucks ought to feel pretty secure in claiming this is one of the most important wins in school history.

Watching UNC fans cheer for SC against Duke was pretty cool to see go down. They were literally doing the GAME! COCKS! chant and waiving Gamecock towels...good stuff!!
LBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:41 AM   #16
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1748
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

If the question involves individual games, I would put this with the 1971 ACC tournament championship win over UNC. Beating Baylor and getting to our first Elite Eight would supplant them both.

The announcers kept saying this was our first Sweet Sixteen, but it was really "the first Sweet Sixteen under the current format" (64 teams). Just winning the ACC put us in the Sweet Sixteen back in the day - there were more than 16 teams in the tournament but the ACC champion got a bye into the Sweet Sixteen. And winning the first game of the tournament put you in the Sweet Sixteen in our first years as an Independent.

So this is the most success that we have ever had in the tournament, which is a little depressing. OTOH, we are still alive!
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:58 AM   #17
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

It is close to the level of beating UNC. Not quite there but close.

I miss Old Cocky Talk

The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:13 AM   #18
kidrobinski
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1320
kidrobinski rules the CockPitkidrobinski rules the CockPitkidrobinski rules the CockPitkidrobinski rules the CockPitkidrobinski rules the CockPitkidrobinski rules the CockPitkidrobinski rules the CockPitkidrobinski rules the CockPitkidrobinski rules the CockPitkidrobinski rules the CockPitkidrobinski rules the CockPit

No where near the sustained notoriety and drama of the late 60s/early 70s, but considering getting snubbed last year, what this program has been through this year, and who we beat, I put this sweet 16 equal with anything since that time.

My friends, long shot no doubt, but these guys have visual on the national championship. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

The 1969 "Total Excitement" ACC football championship?? We backed into that more or less; no great shakes. This is easily bigger.

Edit: ok now I see the topic was the game itself.

Yeah, this one is a couple notches below beating the tarholes.
kidrobinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:42 AM   #19
St. Louis Gamecock
4-Star

Male

St. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPit

I’m 61 and still the win over UNC in the ACC Tourney finals in 1971 ranks probably my best memory ever. Lots of great wins back in the ACC days. But last night’s win over Duke was right up there and has me feeling giddy all over.

To beat what I think is the premier program in America and to do it with 65 points in the second half and a tenacious defense Duke probably hasn’t seen all year is remarkably satisfying.

I probably should be working, but am too busy e-mailing all my buds back home!!!

Just a wonderful weekend for Carolina sports.
St. Louis Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:56 AM   #20
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidrobinski View Post
No where near the sustained notoriety and drama of the late 60s/early 70s, but considering getting snubbed last year, what this program has been through this year, and who we beat, I put this sweet 16 equal with anything since that time.

My friends, long shot no doubt, but these guys have visual on the national championship. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

The 1969 "Total Excitement" ACC football championship?? We backed into that more or less; no great shakes. This is easily bigger.

Edit: ok now I see the topic was the game itself.

Yeah, this one is a couple notches below beating the tarholes.
Making that statement should define for you how lacking this school is on a national
level in it's Athletics history. To say a Championship team takes a back seat to a
team with a tournament win pretty much slaps the face of a team that brought home
a trophy for a season's effort.
As for the "Backed into it" statement. In the history of college athletics (any sport)
there's probably 70-80% of teams that won conference titles that "Backed into Them"
by someones opinion, but it doesn't diminish the fact that the team won the games
they needed to in order to bring home the hardware.

As I said earlier (in other threads) I was excited about beating Duke last night, and
as for wins for the basketball team, this game ranks up there pretty high with
memorable wins for the program, but step back and look at the big picture...... it
was a Tournament win, Not A Championship. There were bigger wins. Then to
say how does it compare to wins in all sports.......... There were several wins bigger
than the one we had over Duke last night. I will not dishonor a team that won
a championship for this school in any sport by saying the win over Duke last night
trumps a title of any kind.