CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
carolina_corpsman
Blitzkrieg
RGHoskins
gotrice?
Master Bedroom
Three and Out
TastyLicks
cockybusiness2
Ace Dilcock
SanAntonioCock
2018 - Ronnie Jamiso (1257)
Ohio Replaces Lethal (404)
Splatoon 2 (216)
CFN Era Top 20 Coach (203)
2017 Team USA U19 Wo (158)
2019 - Ahdarrious Ge (120)
Beach Volleyball nab (102)
Nice addition for be (60)
Discussion: 2019 Rec (50)
Nice addition for beach v
2018 - KJ Henry
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
2018 - Tyquan Johnson
2018 - Channing Tindall
2018 - Josh Vann
Beach Volleyball nabs a T
2019 - Ahdarrious Gee
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
Hugh Freeze about to be f

Old 07-16-2017, 03:33 PM   #1
spareparts
Hole in 1

Male

CockyCash: 1000618
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material
Default Your favorite albums of the 80s by year

Two summers ago we did this for the 1970's.

Now it's the 1980's.

I didn't use any soundtracks or compilation albums.

What's yours? Here's mine.

1980: The Clash, Sandinista. It's a perfect album for the new decade because it literally is all over the place and all of it righteous. While there's many odd songs, there are many incredible ones.

Runner up: Black Sabbath, Heaven & Hell. One of the heaviest albums of all time.

1981: This is extremely difficult because 1981 is one of the greatest calendar years for music albums ever. Just look at these freaking albums that came out:
Echo & The Bunnymen - Heaven Up Here (classic)
Gun Club - Fire of Love (total classic)
Gang of Four - Solid Gold
Black Flag - Damaged (incredible)
Teardrop Explodes - Wlider
U2 - October (underrated)
Mission of Burma - Signals Calls & Marches (incredible)
Police - Ghost In the Machine (their best)
X - Wild Gift (incredible)

But my favorite is: Psychedelic Furs, Talk Talk Talk. It is the richest SOUND. There is nothing like this record and its sensory overload barrage of pop melodies cramming ever song to the brim.

Runner up: Cramps, Psychedelic Jungle. You simply cannot listen to this and NOT want to learn how to play the guitar.

1982: X, Under the Big Black Sun. Probably one of the best American bands ever and their very best record.

Runner up: The Jam, The Gift. Great record to usher in the "MTV 80's" sound.

1983: REM - Murmur. Despite the fact that they started sucking by the end of the 80's this is one hellaciously creepy album. No one ever made bass-drums-guitar-vocals sound like this.

Runner up: Husker Du - Metal Circus. Filled the void left by Black Flag's mysterious disappearance throughout 1983.

1984: Black Flag, My War. Speak of the devil. Just a completely insane album with no precedent. Corrosive guitar and manic lyrics. 100% pure adrenaline.

Runner up: Minor Threat EP. Between these two I honestly had no idea MTV was going on. I buried my face in this stuff as a kid.

1985: Jesus & Mary Chain, Psychocandy. What didn't matter until about 1989 and really blossomed in the 90's started right here. This was the first attempt to make some sort of pop music from sheer noise.

Runner up: REM, Fables of the Reconstruction. I could listen to this all day long at that time. The beginning of "American indie rock".

1986: XTC, Skylarking. Genius pop songs over and over and over, and production by Todd Rundgren.

Runner up: Cro Mags, The Age of Quarrel. loud... fast... ugly

1987: John Cougar Mellencamp, The Lonesome Jubilee. I talked about this album in another thread. It is its own sound - there isn't much of a comparison to anything. I like that.

Runner up: Replacements, Pleased to Meet Me. Another great American punk album.

1988: Public Enemy, It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back. Because I was a white suburban punk rock kid with severe anxiety about the late 80's, and therefore I was their target listening audience because I thought going around quoting lyrics about Joanne Chesimard and Louis Farrakhan made me a scary threat to the establishment, man.

Runner up: Jane's Addiction, Nothing's Shocking.

1989: Stone Roses. Although the album drags a bit, the first 5 songs or so are complete and total classics. That's fair enough.

Runner up: Galaxie 500, On Fire. This is the closest American late-80s indie rock got to being absolutely perfect.
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:38 PM   #2
Spurticus
I DON'T FEEL TARDY

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material
Default Re: Your favorite albums of the 80s by year

1980:

1981:

1982:

1983:

1984:

1985:

1986:

1987:

1988:

1989:
Old 07-16-2017, 08:45 PM   #3
spareparts
Hole in 1

Male

spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Hard to believe Appetite for Destruction was that early

No "Permanent Vacation", Spurt?
Old 07-16-2017, 09:02 PM   #4
Spurticus
I DON'T FEEL TARDY

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
Hard to believe Appetite for Destruction was that early

No "Permanent Vacation", Spurt?
Permanent Vacation came out in 1987 as well. As much as I love Aerosmith,
especially at that point in their career, There's no arguing that Appetite for
Destruction was the better album. Permanent Vacation was huge for the band
in their "Comeback", and it was the best thing they produced since Rocks (1976),
but it wasn't their best of the comeback transition. I thought PUMP was the best
thing they did in that 3-4 year stretch of getting back together, writing good stuff
again, and going back on Tour sober enough to put on Kick Ass Shows.
Permanent Vac. was my #2 that year.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:32 AM   #5
StratoCockster
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
StratoCockster is making other chickens nervousStratoCockster is making other chickens nervousStratoCockster is making other chickens nervousStratoCockster is making other chickens nervousStratoCockster is making other chickens nervousStratoCockster is making other chickens nervousStratoCockster is making other chickens nervous

80: david bowie – scary monsters
81: van halen – fair warning
82: prince – 1999
83: cyndi lauper – she’s so unusual
84: u2 - the unforgettable fire
85: ratt – invasion of your privacy
86: peter gabriel – so
87: gnr – afd
88: living colour - vivid
89: neil young - freedom
StratoCockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:48 PM   #6
taylorssc
Raisinballin'

Male

CockyCash: 1000337
taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material

Let's be honest, any album that came out prior to Jock Jams Vol. I just wasn't worth listening to.
taylorssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:43 PM   #7
spareparts
Hole in 1

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorssc View Post
Let's be honest, any album that came out prior to Jock Jams Vol. I just wasn't worth listening to.
Did you get the special edition Blu Ray collectors edition of "Space Jam"? Lots of rare footage. Comes in a big binder.

I think they have it at Best Buy.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:44 PM   #8
uscjeremynca
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 590
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

I am shocked by this - Appetite for Destruction and Hysteria were released the same year (1987). Appetite was actually released first - 2 weeks before Hysteria.

Mutt Lange, who produced Hysteria, was actually considered for Appetite as well.
uscjeremynca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:49 PM   #9
spareparts
Hole in 1

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorssc View Post
You will also be disappointed to find out that Chumbawamba "Tubthumping" came out in the 90s.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:58 PM   #10
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 244553729341
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
I am shocked by this - Appetite for Destruction and Hysteria were released the same year (1987). Appetite was actually released first - 2 weeks before Hysteria.

Mutt Lange, who produced Hysteria, was actually considered for Appetite as well.
This guy is talented! He also produced AC/DC and Shania Twain (whom he married for a few years).
Old 07-17-2017, 03:25 PM   #11
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 71500600
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

1980-AC/DC Back in black
1987- NWA Straight outta Compton

Not much else I can add...some great choices in your lists

I love early REM before they turned pop
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:36 PM   #12
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 0
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

1988 Nothing's Shocking

Old 07-17-2017, 04:17 PM   #13
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 1000000
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

I had a weird taste in music. I loved Molly Hatchet along with other southern rock bands. But I also loved funk music, ie Parliment, George Clinton, Rick James just to name a few. But my go to was always Hatchet. I still have every disc avaible of theirs and put them in my CD player often. Getting ready to build my library to the computer so I will have all my jams foreva...
Old 07-17-2017, 05:47 PM   #14
Transmaniacon
Any Major Dude

Male

CockyCash: 530
Transmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot material

Some years were loaded, so it was tough to pick a fave for 1980 or 1989. The 80s are underrated musically. The golden age of underground music, really. Forgive all the runners up. These lists are full Sophie's Choice dilemmas.

1980: XTC – Black Sea (Runners up: Squeeze – Argy Bargy, Iron Maiden – S/T, Bowie)
1981: King Crimson – Discipline (Runners up: Penguin Cafι Orchestra – Penguin Cafι Orchestra, Oingo Boingo – Only a Lad, Grace Jones – Nightclubbing)
1982: Sparks – Angst in my Pants (Runners up: Duran Duran – Rio, Philip Glass – Glassworks; Judas Priest – Screaming for Vengeance; MJ – Thriller; REM – Chronic Town)
1983: Tie between Bad Brains - Rock for Light and ESG – Come Away with ESG (Runners up: Violent Femmes, Eurythmics, Cocteau Twins, Aztec Camera)
1984: Metallica – Ride the Lightning (Runner up: Steve Vai – Flexible, Hanoi Rocks – Two Steps from the Move, Purple Rain, Meat Puppets)
1985: The Cult – Love (Runners up: Cure – The Head on the Door, Dire Straits – Brothers in Arms, The Fall – This Nation’s Saving Grace)
1986: Housemartins – London 0 Hull 4 (Runners up: Paul Simon – Graceland, Megadeth – Peace Sells, REM – Life’s Rich Pageant, Nanci Griffith – Last of the True Believers . . . I just wanted Megadeth and Nanci Griffith to be in the same sentence.)
1987: Game Theory – Lolita Nation (Runners up: Sonic Youth – Sister, INXS – Kick; Dukes of the Stratosphere; GNR)
1988: Jane’s Addiction – Nothing’s Shocking (Runners up: Pixies – Surfer Rosa, Mudhoney, Metallica, NWA, Soundgarden, Manowar!)
1989 Fugazi – 13 Songs (Great year, so lots of runners up: Pixies, Faith No More, Voivod, Stone Roses, The Ordinaires, Lou Reed, Beastie Boys, NIN, Operation Ivy, B52s, King’s X, Jungle Brothers, and I’ll even throw in Phish, when they were more interesting. Lollapalooza was around the corner.)
Transmaniacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:37 PM   #15
spareparts
Hole in 1

Male

Great list. Forgot about Cocteau Twins. Sonic Youths 90s albums were my faves. I didn't pick a Smiths record.

I liked Surfer Rosa too. I also considered Throwing Muses 1st.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:06 PM   #16
acejrock

Male

CockyCash: 500000
acejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to acejrock Send a message via Yahoo to acejrock

Spare you forgot The Wall came out in '82. nevermind that was the movie not the album.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:06 PM   #17
GoldenSpur7
obscurum per obscurius

Male

CockyCash: 200
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

This is weird, in terms of 'favorite', as my tastes have mellowed, and what I listed to a lot then would differ from now. There's kind of a mix of both below.

1980 Zenyatta Mondata, The Police (runner up Closer Joy Division)
1981 Fair Warning, Van Halen
1982 Walk Among Us, Misfits
1983 Speaking in Tongues, Talking Heads
1984 Let It Be, The Replacements (Ocean Rain Echo, 1984 by Halen up there)
1985 New Day Rising, Husker Du
1986 REM – Life’s Rich Pageant
1987 You're living all over me, Dinosaur Jr.
1988 Surfer Rosa, The Pixies
1989 (tie) Doolittle Pixies, New Order Technique

Big ups for previous mention of Black Sea, great album.
Got no time to slow
GoldenSpur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:15 PM   #18
spareparts
Hole in 1

Male

20 eeeeeyyyes in mah head
Old 07-17-2017, 08:16 PM   #19
Spurticus
I DON'T FEEL TARDY

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
I had a weird taste in music. I loved Molly Hatchet along with other southern rock bands. But I also loved funk music, ie Parliment, George Clinton, Rick James just to name a few. But my go to was always Hatchet. I still have every disc avaible of theirs and put them in my CD player often. Getting ready to build my library to the computer so I will have all my jams foreva...
Loved Southern Rock as well, but never "warmed up" to Molly Hatchet when they released
their first album. I always thought they tried too hard to imitate Lynyrd Skynyrd. If you
listen to their stuff, almost every song they recorded both Dave Hlubek and Danny Joe
Brown did their best to sound like Ronnie Van Zant and even used those little added
phrases between verses and lines the way Ronnie did.

They did have two songs though that I absolutely loved to listen to. Dreams I'll Never See,
their first hit and a Allman Brothers cover, and when I wanted to just listen to something
Loud and Kick Ass, I'd put Bounty Hunter on and turn the volume up to Max and enjoy.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:41 PM   #20
rabid cock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 10248
rabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot material

I'll do this in bits. My favorite album of 1984 is:

rabid cock is offline   Reply With Quote