CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gotrice?
cockinraleigh
CockNJersey
RGHoskins
gsgp
Captain9Dragons
USCharleston2
JerseyBird
Blitzkrieg
Ahmad
What do you need to (1142)
Qb's under pressure (724)
Garnet helmets and j (706)
Nebraska Fired Shawn (412)
Jake Bentley analysi (404)
Arkansas Kick Time (336)
Week 4 College Footb (201)
***Ace Of Spades - M (143)
***Wildfire - Equest (141)
Fall Softball 2017 (120)
Qb's under pressure SEC
2018 WBB - HoopGurlz (ESP
Why SC and Kurt Roper Sho
Crowd Against La Tech
2018 Commitment - RJ Rode
Jake Bentley analysis
***Can You Dig It? - Voll
Week 4 College Football F
Nebraska Fired Shawn Eich
2017 High School Football

View Poll Results: Who would you have seen on May 22, 1977?
Led Zeppelin 10 30.30%
Fleetwood Mac 3 9.09%
Grateful Dead 4 12.12%
Pink Floyd 7 21.21%
Lynyrd Skynyrd (on 5/23/77) 9 27.27%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2017, 07:53 PM   #1
spareparts
Hole in 1

Male

CockyCash: 1000618
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material
Default May 22, 1977

Four unbelievable concert performances from four historic rock tours took place on this exact day over 40 years ago.

May 22, 1977.

It is astounding that these bands were all touring simultaneously throughout the country. Just an awesome year for rock tours. And you could argue that each band was at an absolute peak.

For the sake of this poll, I'm going to throw in a FIFTH concert because it took place the following night, and it's likely that at least one of the four spilled over into the next day anyway so let's have fun with it.

Question:

IF TRAVEL WAS NOT AN ISSUE - which concert would you have preferred to attend that night?

Here are the choices:

1. Led Zeppelin, Tarrant County Convention Center, Fort Worth, TX, 5/22/77

This was of course Zeppelin's last US tour. It was historic for some negative reasons - many concerts were cancelled because of rioting and Page was in the middle of a serious heroin addiction. But night after night they were devastating. The bootleg album "Destroyer" is from this tour and it might be as good as any of their albums in my opinion.

Set list:
The Song Remains The Same
Sick Again
Nobody's Fault But Mine
In My Time of Dying
Since I've Been Loving You
No Quarter
Ten Years Gone
Battle of Evermore
Going to California
Black Country Woman
Bron-Y-Aur
White Summer/Black Mountain Side
Kashmir
Moby Dick
Jimmy Page solo
Achilles Last Stand
Stairway to Heaven

Encore: Whole Lotta Love
Rock and Roll
It'll Be Me (Jerry Lee Lewis cover)

Photo from the concert:

2. Fleetwood Mac, Nashville Municipal Auditorium, TN, 5/22/77

They were touring for their blockbuster album Rumours which had only been released 3 months prior. Incredible band at their peak.

Here are some scenes from backstage at that tour and a really good version of "You Make Loving Fun"

Setlist:
Say You Love Me
Monday Morning
Oh Well
Rhiannon
Oh Daddy
Never Going Back Again
Landslide
Over My Head
Gold Dust Woman
You Make Loving Fun
I'm So Afraid
Dreams
Go Your Own Way
World Turning
Blue Letter

Encore:
The Chain
Second Hand News
Songbird

3. Grateful Dead, Hollywood Sportatorium, FL, 5/22/77

I know there's not many Deadheads on Cockytalk but this was one of their very best tours - everything was hitting on all cylinders and for a band that toured so much it would have been a special night to see. This entire concert was in fact released as a live CD as part of the Dick Latvala Picks - it SHREDS. You are strongly encouraged to listen to this jam:

Setlist:
Music Never Stopped
Sugaree
El Paso
Peggy-O
New Minglewood Blues
Friend of the Devil
Lazy Lightnin'>
Supplication
Ramble on Rose
Dancin' in the Streets

Help on the Way>
Slipknot>
Franklin's Tower>
Samson and Delilah>
Brown Eyed Women
Good Lovin'
Sunrise
Estimated Prophet>
Eyes of the World>
Wharf Rat>
Terrapin Station>
Morning Dew

Encore: Sugar Magnolia

4. Pink Floyd, Cincinnati Riverfront Coliseum, 5/22/77

This was the notorious Animals tour where Roger Waters lost his shit on a fan which subsequently turned into "The Wall". Each night they played most of the Animals album and some other goodies from Wish You Were Here & Dark Side of the Moon.

Set list:

Sheep
Pigs on the Wing 1
Dogs
Pigs on the Wing 2
Pigs (Three Different Ones)
Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts I-V)
Welcome to the Machine
Have a Cigar
Wish You Were Here
Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts VI-IX)

Encore:
Money

Okay so to keep the poll interesting, I'm adding:

5. Lynyrd Skynyrd, Mobile, AL, Municipal Auditorium, 5/23/77

It's hard to conceive but yes Spurticus was lucky enough to see these guys on this tour. Damn!

I found this review of the concert:

Quote:
This one I will remember forever. This would be my 4th and final time to attend a pre crash concert. Some acoustic solo guy opened up followed by Dicky Betts and the Great Southern then LS. The acoustic guy was ok but not really what the crowd needed in what was to follow. We were standing front row center......but of course you had to get there early before the gig to rush to the stage once they let patrons in. Dicky came out and set the tone. Artie had climbed up the lighting stand that stretched across the stage in the rear from side to side. He sat about 20 feet up in the air while Dicky played. Betts was on fire with Dangerous Dan Tyler on 2nd guitar and Dans brother on drums. LS came out and this was the first and only time I saw Gaines with the band. Immediately I realized Gaines was on fire from the first moment I saw him play lead. He PUMPED Allen so much that a new FIRED up Collins was observed. It was very obvious that the Gaines addition was going to take this band to new place quickly.......... Allen always liked to wear those 3/4 sleeved t shirts etc.....with an image or words on the front.......Allen was all over the stage that night and it was DUE to Gaines being on stage with him. This was the first time I really noticed how short RVZ was. But we were standing first row dead center of stage.........and the thing about getting here to stand is.....if You have to go pee you loose your spot.....lol.....true......I remember street survivors had not been related yet as an album and RVZ introduced That Smell stating the album was going to be released soon......some guy standing next to me had one of those leather pouches that held alcohol and he had mixed up some concoction in it and we all got a taste of it and then RVZ looked down at him/us and said something like what you boys drinking and the guy motioned for RVZ to get a taste....you had to squeeze this apparatus to get the alcohol flowing out of it.......RVZ then said on mike " If its spike I will beat our ass in parking lot after the show".....of curse he was playing to the crowd as they all,laughed.....RVZ then squatted down and got a taste.......soon after someone threw a lit joint on stage and RVZ picked it up and placed it in GR's mouth....this was a great show and then 5 months later the show came to an end.......
Funny - Ronnie Van Zant picking up a lit joint someone threw at him & putting it into Gary Rossington's mouth. (Throwing lit joints onstage as well as firecrackers was a 1970's concert tradition)

Photos from this show:

Set list:
Workin' For MCA
I Ain't The One
Saturday Night Special
Whiskey Rock-A-Roller
That Smell
Travelin' Man
Ain't No Good Life
Gimme Three Steps
Call Me The Breeze
T For Texas
Sweet Home Alabama
Free Bird

It's also worth mentioning that there were 2 Kiss tours that year, a major Springsteen tour, a Parliament Funkadelic tour, a Queen tour for "News Of the World", and God knows how many incredible smaller bands that hadn't "made it big" yet playing that night.

So who would you choose to see?
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:18 PM   #2
Spurticus
I DON'T FEEL TARDY

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material
Default Re: May 22, 1977

L.O.V.E.D All these bands. All these would have been top shelf concert experiences for me
but this was an easy choice. I voted LED ZEPPELIN.

of these bands, my least favorite was The Grateful Dead and after that, Pink Floyd. I'd
still love to have seen them at some point, but of the others, on the list I was more into
their music than that of PF and GD. ... The only band I didn't see of those three and
Sorely regret it was Led Zeppelin. I would give anything to be able to go back in time
to around the mid / late 70s and saw these guys when they were in their prime.

I was fortunate enough to see Fleetwood Mac twice. The first was Pre Buckingham / Nicks
and the other was just after they released Rumors.
I count it as probably my #1 Rock Concert in my life and count my blessings daily that
I was fortunate enough to see THE Lynyrd Skynyrd's final performance before Ronnie,
Steve and Cassy were killed in a plane crash, but I've always regretted not having gone
to a Led Zeppelin Live performance.

No brainer vote for me
Old 09-13-2017, 08:30 PM   #3
markymark550
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2000
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Led Zeppelin

Of all the bands that existed before I was born, they're one of the top for my personal taste. Makes this a pretty simple choice.

Skynyrd is on there, but they don't beat Led Zeppelin.

Last edited by markymark550; 09-14-2017 at 08:13 AM..
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:34 PM   #4
spareparts
Hole in 1

Male

spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Arrrgh. I didn't know you saw Fleetwood Mac then too. That would have been great
Old 09-13-2017, 08:44 PM   #5
spareparts
Hole in 1

Male

Mine was a process of elimination. Interestingly enough each of these tours was pretty legendary in their own right. The Floyd tour was notorious, the Zeppelin tour was notorious, the Dead's spring 77 tour was known to be outstanding. I would have loved to see any of them but I wasn't old enough to go to concerts yet.

As amazing as each show would have been, I would give absolutely anything to go back and see the Grateful Dead in 1977. They were on fire every night. Their songs were amazing at that time and every show had that special something. This is when the phenomenon of "going to a Grateful Dead concert" came about. Even their diehard fans all agree this was not only the best year they were touring, but the spring tour in particular was just incredible. Plus that particular arena is kind of small for a rock concert at that time. Would have been amazing.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:23 PM   #6
ccured
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 62383
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Zeppelin hands down
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:08 PM   #7
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

CockyCash: 2400200
hank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot material

Dead
Old 09-13-2017, 11:05 PM   #8
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Going with Zep here. Great full dead and Pink Floyd would be on the list but I've seen those.

Fleetwood Mac I never got got into. Skinner would be cool, but compared to zep - no contest.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:42 AM   #9
darthtripous
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 505
darthtripous is crowing loudlydarthtripous is crowing loudlydarthtripous is crowing loudlydarthtripous is crowing loudlydarthtripous is crowing loudlydarthtripous is crowing loudlydarthtripous is crowing loudlydarthtripous is crowing loudlydarthtripous is crowing loudlydarthtripous is crowing loudlydarthtripous is crowing loudly

I would have to use process of elimination.

First off, I have total respect for all these bands and their talent. I'm not bashing I just have have things I like and don't.

The Dead and Pink Floyd are out. I can't stand hippie music or anything close to that. Being at one of those shows would be a huge anxiety attack.

Never could get into Fleetwood Mack. Yeah, I get it, super talent in writing amazing vocals,but did you ever see the South Park where the boys take the goat back to Afghanistan? Then the goat starts to bleat and everyone thinks the goat is Stevie Nicks? Well that's all I hear when I listen to them on the radio.

I love southern rock. I've seen Lynard Skynard (well what's left of them) a few times. If I were able to go back in time I'd want to see them tearing up a small honky tonk. Ya know the place where some drunk dude breaks a beer bottle over my head and I get an awesome scar as a badge of honor. Big stages are cool, but I love small venues.

I've always wanted to see Led Zepplin. I'd even be okay with seeing them with a lot of other people.

But I have a write-in. The first music that really made me go wow I finally get it is punk. In 1977, and probably on this day in May, I would want to see The Ramones. Again, I'd want to have someone crack me over the head with a beer bottle as my badge of honor. You know dirty dive bar. Close enough for Joey to sweat on you.
darthtripous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:28 AM   #10
spareparts
Hole in 1

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthtripous View Post

But I have a write-in. The first music that really made me go wow I finally get it is punk. In 1977, and probably on this day in May, I would want to see The Ramones. Again, I'd want to have someone crack me over the head with a beer bottle as my badge of honor. You know dirty dive bar. Close enough for Joey to sweat on you.
Thought about adding a punk band like the Clash or Ramones but the Clash were touring small clubs in the UK in 77 (would have been awesome) and the Ramones were also in the UK. I did happen to see them in 1984 and it was freaking nuts.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:43 AM   #11
Legalman72
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 41000000000
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Zep has always been a towering monument in my love of music but I'd have to go see Skynyrd.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:26 AM   #12
St. Louis Gamecock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
St. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPitSt. Louis Gamecock rules the CockPit

No doubt Zepp or Fleetwood.

Hate, hate, hate Skynyrd!
St. Louis Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:55 AM   #13
LBC
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 500
LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material

I've seen The Dead several times, Pink Floyd twice and Fleetwood Mac once...that I wasn't really into but that was more about me at the time than them.

That being said...I'm not really digging the Zeppelin setlist as much as some of the others. I really would have loved to see LS...but...among this grouping they just don't make the cut. I really like that Dead setlist...a lot...but Pink Floyd Animals is my favorite Pink Floyd era...especially with the Wish You Were Here and Darkside thrown in.

So of these I go with Pink Floyd.

Another one I would add to this list...also 1977...as part of a US Tour...Queen with opening act...THIN LIZZY...Gary Moore was covering for Brian Robertson on guitar after he got into a bar fight and cut his hand.

Feb 2, 1977...Madison Square Garden NYC:

Queen Set List:

We Will Rock You (Slow/Fast)
Brighton Rock
Somebody to Love
It's Late
Death on Two Legs
Killer Queen
Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy
I'm in Love With My Car
Get Down, Make Love
The Millionaire Waltz
You're My Best Friend
Spread Your Wings
Liar
Love of My Life
'39
My Melancholy Blues
White Man
The Prophet's Song
Guitar Solo
The Prophet's Song (Reprise)
Keep Yourself Alive
Stone Cold Crazy
Bohemian Rhapsody
Now I'm Here
Tie Your Mother Down

Thin Lizzy set list:

Jailbreak
Massacre
Emerald
Still in Love With You
Johnny the Fox Meets Jimmy the Weed
The Boys Are Back in Town
Cowboy Song
Warriors
Sha La La
Baby Drives Me Crazy

Also on a strictly personal level I would have loved to catch the 1977 UFO / Light Out US Tour that ended up being the concerts/shows that made up the absolutely classic double live album 'Strangers in The Night'...a 22 year old Michael Schenker in his prime...I know this is just a me deal but young me would have been jacked for this.
LBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:03 AM   #14
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC View Post
That being said...I'm not really digging the Zeppelin setlist as much as some of the others.
Yea...would love to see some more of the classics....Dazed and Confused, Heartbreaker, but that's a monster set list. Looks like 2 hrs plus.

Saw Queen around '74...they killed it. All those guys could sing.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:52 AM   #15
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 499
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
Zep has always been a towering monument in my love of music but I'd have to go see Skynyrd.
Considering what happened in October of that year, that's the answer for me as well.

Led Zeppelin stayed around several years after 1977.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:57 AM   #16
spareparts
Hole in 1

Male

Geez that Queen 77 set list is SICK
Old 09-14-2017, 11:04 AM   #17
spareparts
Hole in 1

Male

Ticket stub from the Zeppelin 1977 Ft. Worth Texas show: