CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Flameout12
CockyLifer
CapitolCock
carolina_corpsman
thekob
Canefaninsc
TastyLicks
Master Bedroom
Lonnie
JDStud6
The drops aren't on (1665)
Is there a good answ (794)
Gamecocks Wide Recei (585)
Why are we so bad 1s (352)
After a 100 calls go (300)
Handing out rep like (119)
Need Two For Tenness (9)
Serious Question to our f
The drops aren't on the r
Gamecocks Wide Receivers
Texas A&M Vent Thread
Bentley or Scarnecchia ?
Jake Bentley or Bust
Battling Apathy
Is there a good answer as
WBB: Leticia Amihere #2 i
Handing out rep like cand

Old 10-08-2018, 04:20 PM   #41
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Ground game issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDStud6 View Post
in your opinion, who is our best RB? Rico? The guy that keeps fumbling or dropping passes, the guy that continually misses holes, the guy that never runs through tackles? If that's your definition of an SEC caliber RB, then I don't know what to tell you.

I honestly don't know who our best RB is. Coming into the season everyone on here was raving about our "stable" and I thought they were crazy. We have 4 backs that are all pretty good, but they all need a lot of help from the line with big holes to do much.

JD
Iíve always thought TyíSon was our best RB. Iíve been frustrated by the fact that he doesnít get more touches, but I also donít have all the behind-the-scenes information on why. Some people say he doesnít practice hard or heís injured or something. I have no clue and Iím not going to speculate. But TyíSon is our best back in my opinion. Star ratings be damned. When that kid touches the ball, he is fun to watch. He really can do all the things you need a RB to do.
CapitolCock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:30 PM   #42
Senior Rooster
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 72900000
Senior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
sandstorm2001[/B];5263494]From the stands it didn't feel like were getting a lot of 3rd and 5s. It felt more like 3rd and 7+ most of the time. If you're comfortable throwing on 3rd and long into a pass defense you might as well pass on 1st and 10 when they are stacking the box to stop the run. Even if it's only occasionally to keep them honest.

Again, sitting in the end zone it's hard to get perspective on down and distance sometimes, it just felt like we were getting hardly any yards on 1st and 2nd down and then having to pass on 3rd and long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
CapitolCock[/B];5263513]It really wasnít. In certain situations late in the game, obviously it may have felt that way. But I thought BMac did a great job of getting our offense into situations on 3rd down where Mizzouís defense had to be honest. Obviously, we didnít always convert, but we converted enough.

Capitol you are a GREAT poster! But:
there were 13 third and long downs of 4 to 13 yards each. Sandstorm was correct.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:32 PM   #43
BringBackGarcia
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000
BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitolCock View Post
This is why I hate statistics. People look to them and then draw conclusions based on a few numbers. But in football, statistics don’t tell the whole story. They don’t account for gameplan. They don’t account for adjustments. They don’t account for anything. All they do is give people something to talk about.

Case in point - Georgia Tech is the “best rushing team in the country.”

So how about the eyeball test. And forget about Mizzou if that's causing problems with gameplanning.

Jake Bentley is in the game and it's a middle tier SEC team--are you saying you feel like we can run the football as well as most other SEC teams? When we run the ball, on average, in the past season and this one, you think we look like a middle tier team?
BringBackGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:39 PM   #44
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Rooster View Post
Capitol you are a GREAT poster! But:
there were 13 third and long downs of 4 to 13 yards each. Sandstorm was correct.
I take it you checked, so out of curiosity, how many of those were 4/5/6 yards? Obviously, getting into a situation where we’re in 3rd and 13 isn’t ideal regardless of who’s playing QB.

EDIT: To be clear, I never said we were running on 1st and 2nd down in order to get us into 3rd and short situations. I think we did it to get into more manageable 3rd downs where we didn’t need to have longer developing routes/plays to move the chains.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:41 PM   #45
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackGarcia View Post
So how about the eyeball test. And forget about Mizzou if that's causing problems with gameplanning.

Jake Bentley is in the game and it's a middle tier SEC team--are you saying you feel like we can run the football as well as most other SEC teams? When we run the ball, on average, in the past season and this one, you think we look like a middle tier team?
Other than UGA or Bama, yeah, I think we run the ball really well. I think itís hard for us to really figure out where we stand considering the teams weíve lost to are really good. Had we played Marshall, weíd be 4-2 right now and the narrative of the season is totally different. So Iím trying to keep that in mind too.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:52 PM   #46
NAGamec0ckFan
Proverbs 14:12

Male

CockyCash: 200
NAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockyboy View Post
anybody that says we don't have sec backs on the roster is an idiot.
Really? Who is our best RB? What other SEC team would they start for?
NAGamec0ckFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:02 PM   #47
ccured
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 25200
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
I take it you checked, so out of curiosity, how many of those were 4/5/6 yards? Obviously, getting into a situation where weíre in 3rd and 13 isnít ideal regardless of whoís playing QB.

EDIT: To be clear, I never said we were running on 1st and 2nd down in order to get us into 3rd and short situations. I think we did it to get into more manageable 3rd downs where we didnít need to have longer developing routes/plays to move the chains.
Q1
3: 14,2,10

Q2
3: 4, 10(5 offsides), 4

Q3
5: 2,6(12 false start), 6,5,5

Q4
8: 11,12,4,10,8,18,4,11
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:16 PM   #48
BringBackGarcia
Blue Chip

Male

BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

Quote:
Other than UGA or Bama, yeah, I think we run the ball really well. I think itís hard for us to really figure out where we stand considering the teams weíve lost to are really good. Had we played Marshall, weíd be 4-2 right now and the narrative of the season is totally different. So Iím trying to keep that in mind too.

We'll alright then. Aside for the number 1 and 2 teams in the country, we run the ball well?

Cool. Then you would fall into the there's no problem at all category I guess.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:32 PM   #49
kingoftheroost
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100014000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Because the only way the could get yards on the ground was to manipulate the numbers in the box to catch them off guard. Perhaps the reason they didn't try it again was because McClendon knew it was a gimmick to light a spark and would get blown up the next time.

So no, I don't see those yards the same way as I wouldn't count a gimmick pass play netting 50 yards out of a 150 yard passing game as evidence that we can throw a football.
That type of argument is silly to me. That's no different than saying touchdowns don't really count if they are scored in unconventional ways.

Defensive coaches also use the same type of logic when a player (often a running back) has a good stat day against them. "Yeah, he had 175 yards, but 50 of that was on one run."

It also reminds me how often people - including analysts - call unconventional plays "trick" plays. Isn't the idea of LOTS of plays to deceive the defense as to where the ball is or where it's going? In other words, most plays are, in fact, "trick" plays.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:47 PM   #50
pitchcock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 29698000
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

As much as people griped about Roper, if you go back and look there were running lanes that would open...our RB's would just make the wrong cut and miss the hole.

That's all about vision and instincts. It's a God given talent, you can't coach it. Any of our top 4 RBs can run in the open if they get loose, but the issue they have is breaking clear. Lattimore had a knack for making guys miss, even if it was just a little. Change your body angle, avoid the big hit, find creases. Marcus didn't have blazing speed, but he was elusive, ran low behind his pads and had great vision/anticipation.

Mike Davis and Brandon Wilds were similar, not as good as Latt, but similar.

Another thing our RB's (in fact, pretty much all of our WR's/skill guys) lack is explosiveness. None of them (with the exception of Deebo) are really a threat to take it to the house every time they touch the ball.

It makes a DC's job easier knowing as long as you keep the guy in front of you he won't burn you.

Coaches can only do so much. It all boils down to recruiting, and signing the right guys. UGA has a stable of RB's. Pull one out, put in another...don't miss a beat. They can all burn you. Clemson is that way with WR's, and they're building that with RB's. Give those guys a cushion and they're off to the races.

Put any of UGA's RB's or Etienne in our backfield I think you'd see a different picture.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:50 PM   #51
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
We'll alright then. Aside for the number 1 and 2 teams in the country, we run the ball well?

Cool. Then you would fall into the there's no problem at all category I guess.
Yeah, I thought I made that part clear. We didnít run the ball well against UGA because theyíre UGA. I thought we ran ok against UK. Not incredible, but pretty well against a good DL. Mizzou was kind of an anomaly because they committed to stopping the run and forced Scarnecchia to beat them. So Iím willing to look past the Mizzou game based on the circumstances.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:52 PM   #52
dreammachine
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 20500
dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

A lot of good points made here both pro and con against USC. I would like to think that Mizzo had a lot to do with us not doing a better job running the ball, along with the terrible weather conditions later in the game. I just don't see our O-Line dominating as they should. Kentucky and Georgia both dominated our O-Line with pretty much a 4 man front and still was able to get to our QB.

As far as our RB's are concerned, I would love to see one of them get up after getting his butt handed to him on a good clean hit and run back to the huddle and ask "for the damn ball again" and break off a 20 yard run!!! It seems after each one of them get their butt handed to them on a good hit, you see the hand go up and ask to come out of the game. George Rodgers never did that and he would run harder and harder as the game went on. Just would love to see the O-Line and the RB's show a lot more heart and be a lot tougher in each game.
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:54 PM   #53
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
Q1
3: 14,2,10

Q2
3: 4, 10(5 offsides), 4

Q3
5: 2,6(12 false start), 6,5,5

Q4
8: 11,12,4,10,8,18,4,11
Ok so aside from the 4th quarter it seemed to work pretty well. And I would imagine a few of those in the 4th were probably in situations where we had to throw the ball.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:40 PM   #54
ccured
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 25200
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Ok so aside from the 4th quarter it seemed to work pretty well. And I would imagine a few of those in the 4th were probably in situations where we had to throw the ball.
Yup
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:59 PM   #55
Absfract
World Traveler

Male

CockyCash: 3000
Absfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
As much as people griped about Roper, if you go back and look there were running lanes that would open...our RB's would just make the wrong cut and miss the hole.

That's all about vision and instincts. It's a God given talent, you can't coach it. Any of our top 4 RBs can run in the open if they get loose, but the issue they have is breaking clear. Lattimore had a knack for making guys miss, even if it was just a little. Change your body angle, avoid the big hit, find creases. Marcus didn't have blazing speed, but he was elusive, ran low behind his pads and had great vision/anticipation.

Another thing our RB's (in fact, pretty much all of our WR's/skill guys) lack is explosiveness. None of them (with the exception of Deebo) are really a threat to take it to the house every time they touch the ball.

It makes a DC's job easier knowing as long as you keep the guy in front of you he won't burn you.

Coaches can only do so much. It all boils down to recruiting, and signing the right guys. UGA has a stable of RB's. Pull one out, put in another...don't miss a beat. They can all burn you. Clemson is that way with WR's, and they're building that with RB's. Give those guys a cushion and they're off to the races.

Put any of UGA's RB's or Etienne in our backfield I think you'd see a different picture.
I'll add to that in that from my perspective/opinion... I believe we do have a decent RB with vision/instinct/speed... which is Turner. It just so happens that he's too small for the conference. The times he's run in the middle haven't been as fruitful if they are expecting run or we are in the red zone.
Absfract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:06 AM   #56
Legalman72
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 19852516353
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k15 View Post
We are all well aware AJ is fast. Heís my favorite back due to his toughness. That said, heís had precious few of these, like all our backs. Our run game has largely sucked for years and many would argue our RBs arenít SEC caliber.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:48 AM   #57
AtlGAMECOCK
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 964742
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

I think it's a few things. Blocking isn't where it needs to be. The defense doesn't really respect our passing game so it's a loaded box. We run against a loaded box instead of passing and giving what the d gives us we force the run. We don't let a HB get into rhythm. It seems like when one starts to get a rhythm going we pull him out. We need to go with the hot hand.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:33 AM   #58
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 8000
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

I am beginning to think our backs just aren't up to snuff. We had a hard time blocking Mizzou but they missed some holes and don't break tackles. If you look at KY, I mean the OL gashed them a few times and the backs couldn't capitalize.

Apparently they are all injured again.

Then again, getting stuffed on 3rd or 4th and short is pretty much on the OL.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:19 AM   #59
BringBackGarcia
Blue Chip

Male

Interesting enough, listening to 1075 this morning with Orth on and he made the statement that we need to run like with did with Mizzou. I think basically he was saying commit to the run to help open up the passes on the RPOs and let Scar run more of those.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:25 AM   #60
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Marcus didn't have blazing speed, but he was elusive, ran low behind his pads and had great vision/anticipation.
Absolutely! Marcus had uncanny field vision and could see the running lanes before he got there. He also knew how to drive the pile like no one I've ever seen.
Quote:
Add in Cory Boyd who was a good open field runner with his quick cuts and a beast to tackle.
If MD-28, Brandon, or Cory were on the team right now, our running game would be different.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote