CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
CapitolCock
Flameout12
carolina_corpsman
thekob
TastyLicks
sporkgod50
Flips
Canefaninsc
JDStud6
The drops aren't on (1822)
Is there a good answ (855)
Gamecocks Wide Recei (651)
Why are we so bad 1s (394)
After a 100 calls go (329)
Handing out rep like (170)
Convince me these ar (110)
Need Two For Tenness (9)
SEC QB FACTS ...... (0)
Jake Bentley or Bust
Gamecocks Wide Receivers
2019 WBB - Rickea Jackson
2019 Commitment - Ryan Hi
Bentley or Scarnecchia ?
The drops aren't on the r
WBB: Leticia Amihere #2 i
SEC QB FACTS ......
Convince me these are all
The critique of the offen

Old 10-08-2018, 06:21 PM   #21
ccured
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 25200
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material
Default Re: Phantom flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
I think there it's too easily argued that they simply overthrew and it sailed over someone's head.
When you throw the ball in the stands behind the endzone? Most stadiums there is at least 15 yards behind the end line and the stands
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:22 PM   #22
kingoftheroost
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100014000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bedroom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
Doesn't there have to be intent? It is intentional grounding, not accidental grounding.
Yea this is what had me thinking as well
Quote:
I. Quarterback who is not outside the tackle box, and is attempting to save yardage, intentionally throws a desperation forward pass that falls incomplete where there is no eligible receiver. Ruling: Intentional Grounding. Penalty: Loss of down at the spot of the foul. The clock starts at the snap.
That's opening up a whole new can of worms if we try to guess what the intent of people is. It's not the actual intent, but the result of the play that matters.

I mean players get ejected all the time for targeting when all they were intending to do was tackle the other guy.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:22 PM   #23
ccured
Heisman Candidate

Male

ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
There is a receiver in the area. It's a judgement call.
So you think a ball thrown into the stands of the endzoen is catchable?
Old 10-08-2018, 06:27 PM   #24
kingoftheroost
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100014000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
It doesn't have to be catchable as long as the receiver is in the area. Think about how QBs sometimes ground the ball right at an intended receiver's feet during screen plays. Actually, I think Scarnecchia did that once on Saturday. There was no flag simply because the receiver was right there even though the QB was DEFINITELY just trying to avoid taking a loss.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:34 PM   #25
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 200
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfinggamecock View Post
Did anyone else see the flag thrown on the first punt that was blocked and recovered by Missouri?

Flag was thrown by an official on the home sideline and you could clearly see it arch through the tv shot (both real time and in the replay). No mention whatsoever by any official or announcer after thrown. There appeared to be a defender lined up in the neutral zone on that punt formation.

Anybody?
the announcers mentioned it was an illegal formation call
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:38 PM   #26
ccured
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
It doesn't have to be catchable as long as the receiver is in the area. Think about how QBs sometimes ground the ball right at an intended receiver's feet during screen plays. Actually, I think Scarnecchia did that once on Saturday. There was no flag simply because the receiver was right there even though the QB was DEFINITELY just trying to avoid taking a loss.
Gotcha
Old 10-08-2018, 07:51 PM   #27
2000grad
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 1233026
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
It's about intent. And it's a judgement call. Someone is flushing the QB or if they pocket and he is throwing in the run and tosses the ball toward the receiver. It can go over his head... Was that grounding? Like I said, is a judgement call.
2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:45 PM   #28
ccured
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
It's about intent. And it's a judgement call. Someone is flushing the QB or if they pocket and he is throwing in the run and tosses the ball toward the receiver. It can go over his head... Was that grounding? Like I said, is a judgement call.
Gotcha and I understand what you are saying.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:54 AM   #29
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 101600600
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

the ball that scar threw was way out of bounds...never could have been caught in bounds...I honestly think that it was not thrown so far that the flag would have been picked up as it appeared to be a throw away
ShutTheSuccop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:12 AM   #30
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

CockyCash: 5399
AikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AikenRooster

Quote:
There is a receiver in the area. It's a judgement call.
Yeah, like the majority of calls in American Football. If there is one thing I hate about American Football it is the constant stoppage of play due to flags, particularly when it doesn't affect the play.
I think this very thing happened in the VT/ND game the other night. Ineligible receiver called on the other side of the field, where it had absolutely no bearing on the play.
The refs need to simply run the game and make sure there are no dirty hits. Call the obvious stuff, but, other than that, let them play.
It's getting sickening for fans calling for flags every play by the other team.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:34 AM   #31
SC Gamecock
IT IS WHAT IT IS

Male

CockyCash: 200
SC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bedroom View Post
Yea they were. And what about the grounding call? Am I crazy or has there ever been a grounding call when the qb and wr got mixed up on the route?
Saying there was a route mix up is a common excuse to refs when grounding is called. Only the offense knows if it was a mix up or not, as the refs are going off what they see on the field. Just an unfortunate call there, they’ve been reversed in our favor before. More times than not it’s smarter to roll out the pocket when you throw the ball away, but it was one of those plays it happened that way.

Regardless, officiating this year has been at an all time worst in college and the pros and I’m not sure what’s causing it.
SC Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:38 AM   #32
the camp branch kid
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 5500
the camp branch kid is USC mascot materialthe camp branch kid is USC mascot materialthe camp branch kid is USC mascot materialthe camp branch kid is USC mascot materialthe camp branch kid is USC mascot materialthe camp branch kid is USC mascot materialthe camp branch kid is USC mascot materialthe camp branch kid is USC mascot materialthe camp branch kid is USC mascot materialthe camp branch kid is USC mascot materialthe camp branch kid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenRooster View Post
Yeah, like the majority of calls in American Football. If there is one thing I hate about American Football it is the constant stoppage of play due to flags, particularly when it doesn't affect the play.
I think this very thing happened in the VT/ND game the other night. Ineligible receiver called on the other side of the field, where it had absolutely no bearing on the play.
The refs need to simply run the game and make sure there are no dirty hits. Call the obvious stuff, but, other than that, let them play.
I cannot take a person seriously that needs to qualify football with the term American on a college football message board. Do you really think someone might mistake your commentary to be about futbol or Australian Rules Football or are you narcissisticaly signaling your worldliness? smh
with a Gamecock story to tell.
the camp branch kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:59 AM   #33
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

CockyCash: 5399
AikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AikenRooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by the camp branch kid View Post
I cannot take a person seriously that needs to qualify football with the term American on a college football message board. Do you really think someone might mistake your commentary to be about futbol or Australian Rules Football or are you narcissisticaly signaling your worldliness? smh
On this board, you have to be very specific, I've learned. Actually, you can't be specific enough, as I've also learned. Of course, if you're too specific, trolls will detract from the conversation, and point that out, since they've got nothing better to do.

And, it's narcissistically, with two "l"s, and fútbol, with the accent mark on the first syllable, jerk.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:05 AM   #34
carolina_corpsman
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 10500
carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
On this board, you have to be very specific, I've learned. Actually, you can't be specific enough, as I've also learned. Of course, if you're too specific, trolls will detract from the conversation, and point that out, since they've got nothing better to do.

And, it's narcissistically, with two "l"s, and fútbol, with the accent mark on the first syllable, jerk.

I agree with your general sentiment. I can't understand why you would call ticky-tack calls that are on the other side of the play and have no impact on the actual outcome.

There are far too many games that are influenced by the officials.
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:02 PM   #35
the camp branch kid
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 5500
the camp branch kid is USC mascot materialthe camp branch kid is USC mascot materialthe camp branch kid is USC mascot materialthe camp branch kid is USC mascot materialthe camp branch kid is USC mascot materialthe camp branch kid is USC mascot materialthe camp branch kid is USC mascot materialthe camp branch kid is USC mascot materialthe camp branch kid is USC mascot materialthe camp branch kid is USC mascot materialthe camp branch kid is USC mascot material

Quote:

I would like to apologize. I rarely, if ever, needlessly troll. I am usually optimistic in my posts. Not sure why I was so put off by your post, and after further examination, I should not have been.

While in no way is this meant to diminish my apology or mitigate my sin, the exclusion of the second "l" was clearly inexcusable on my part, but highlighting the exclusion of an accent was a bridge too far my friend.
with a Gamecock story to tell.
the camp branch kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:12 PM   #36
TheGameCockFanOfY
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 263
TheGameCockFanOfY is crowing loudlyTheGameCockFanOfY is crowing loudlyTheGameCockFanOfY is crowing loudlyTheGameCockFanOfY is crowing loudlyTheGameCockFanOfY is crowing loudlyTheGameCockFanOfY is crowing loudlyTheGameCockFanOfY is crowing loudlyTheGameCockFanOfY is crowing loudlyTheGameCockFanOfY is crowing loudlyTheGameCockFanOfY is crowing loudlyTheGameCockFanOfY is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
That's opening up a whole new can of worms if we try to guess what the intent of people is. It's not the actual intent, but the result of the play that matters.

I mean players get ejected all the time for targeting when all they were intending to do was tackle the other guy.
The part of intent that matters is the part about it being done in order to avoid a loss of yards. The officials can't use their judgment to determine whether a receiver should have been there (wrong route), but they can, should, and usually do use their judgment to determine whether a sack was imminent. If it was not, then no call should be made. I've definitely seen this called very poorly.

Unfortunately, I missed the play in question and only heard the radio guys complaining about it. Anyone got a link?
TheGameCockFanOfY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:24 PM   #37
Master Bedroom
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 10500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGameCockFanOfY View Post
The part of intent that matters is the part about it being done in order to avoid a loss of yards. The officials can't use their judgment to determine whether a receiver should have been there (wrong route), but they can, should, and usually do use their judgment to determine whether a sack was imminent. If it was not, then no call should be made. I've definitely seen this called very poorly.

Unfortunately, I missed the play in question and only heard the radio guys complaining about it. Anyone got a link?
This is the big part for me. He was not throwing it to avoid a sack. It was an option route which the QB usually throws before the WR makes his break, and it looked clear as day to be a miscommunication. At the time when they called it it was absolutely a huge call
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:57 PM   #38
2000grad
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 1233026
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
It's ineligible downfield and it does matter. They could block a DB trying to make a play or cause more confusion by being more than the allotted amount of yardage past the of scrimmage.
2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:29 PM   #39
TheGameCockFanOfY
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 263
TheGameCockFanOfY is crowing loudlyTheGameCockFanOfY is crowing loudlyTheGameCockFanOfY is crowing loudlyTheGameCockFanOfY is crowing loudlyTheGameCockFanOfY is crowing loudlyTheGameCockFanOfY is crowing loudlyTheGameCockFanOfY is crowing loudlyTheGameCockFanOfY is crowing loudlyTheGameCockFanOfY is crowing loudlyTheGameCockFanOfY is crowing loudlyTheGameCockFanOfY is crowing loudly

Quote:
It's ineligible downfield and it does matter. They could block a DB trying to make a play or cause more confusion by being more than the allotted amount of yardage past the of scrimmage.
To be fair, tightening up that rule this year does seem to be leading to more calls for cases that probably should be inconsequential.
TheGameCockFanOfY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:06 AM   #40
cocky0

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 10100000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

Quote:
On this board, you have to be very specific, I've learned. Actually, you can't be specific enough, as I've also learned.

I think this is true of the internet in general.