CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
TaySC
sosfan812
TRBTB
rt3891
Three and Out
Senior Rooster
SanAntonioCock
USCBaseball
Lant
Blitzkrieg
A Flooded South Caro (238)
Just in time for Chr (181)
2019 Commitment - Cameron
2019 Commitment - Zacch P
NCAAF: MIDDLE TENN vs APP
Chris Payne and Leon Mack
Vote for Hilinski
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
2018 College Football Bow
2019 - Tyron Hopper - Flo
2019 - Chris Steele
2019 Commitment - Jahkeem

Old 10-10-2018, 01:27 PM   #21
SC Gamecock
IT IS WHAT IT IS

Male

CockyCash: 200
SC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Jake Bentley or Bust

All depends how the back up plays but typically an injured player is able to get his job back, because he didn’t do anything to actually LOSE it except get injured. A lot of different variables go into a decision. How bad was the injury? How old is the player vs how young is the replacement? How is the backup performing vs how was the starter performing at the time of his injury, etc.

There are your Tom Brady, dak Prescott, etc. but you can name more that KEPT their jobs than you can who lost their jobs due to injury.
SC Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:28 PM   #22
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
We all need to be clear here.

Jake Bentley lost the starting job by his play in big games. Then he got injured on one of the last drives of one of his shit show performances and he got bailed out.

HOW THE HELL OUR COACHING STAFF DOESN'T SEE THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!!

So they are saying a hobbled Bentley shit show is better than the poise and collected play we saw in a win last week? Hopefully I am wrong but I feel like tamu will embarrass us on our own field mainly because of jake.

All of you say those losses are not ALL ON JAKE. Do not know a damn thing about football your QB manages the entire game and how it goes. He has 3-4 turnovers by throwing balls into window cracks of blanketed receivers and missing and throwing the ball to damn hard to corral half of the time your defense CAN NOT win you the game against ranked teams when they are always on the field and on their backs don't care if you have bamas depth it is not happening. You have to be able to score more than 10-17 against ranked teams and I know there has been fumbles on other guys on offense but the ass whooping we've had the past couple of years are all on jake.
Hey Mods,

How do I subtract rep from a user?

Thanks!
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:38 PM   #23
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 7994501
CockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitolCock View Post
Hey Mods,

How do I subtract rep from a user?

Thanks!
You can start by typing in what you disagree with and we will see how blind you have been.
CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:06 PM   #24
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot material

Silence.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:16 PM   #25
Wisercock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Gamecock View Post
All depends how the back up plays but typically an injured player is able to get his job back, because he didnít do anything to actually LOSE it except get injured. A lot of different variables go into a decision. How bad was the injury? How old is the player vs how young is the replacement? How is the backup performing vs how was the starter performing at the time of his injury, etc.

There are your Tom Brady, dak Prescott, etc. but you can name more that KEPT their jobs than you can who lost their jobs due to injury.
There's no room for rationality here.

I say give Bentley the start for the reasons you stated, and if he is stinking it up, or his knee is obviously bothering him, then replace him with Scar. Whether they bring in Scar early or late, or at all, should depend on Jake's play. Yes, there is a chance that could put us in a hole, but the decision could be made in the first quarter. Or, the other option would be to give Bentley the first series and if we don't move the ball then give Scar the second possession. Then they could assess and pick the one who is playing the best to finish the half. But I would start Bentley. I just don't see how you could not.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:19 PM   #26
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
You can start by typing in what you disagree with and we will see how blind you have been.
Everything. All of it. I don't even know where to begin.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:53 PM   #27
Blackland
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 4200
Blackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot material

Nothing like a bit more pressure on a guy who does not handle pressure well.
Blackland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:04 PM   #28
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

Quote:
Everything. All of it. I don't even know where to begin.

Typical response to something you can't refute.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:05 PM   #29
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
There's no room for rationality here.

I say give Bentley the start for the reasons you stated, and if he is stinking it up, or his knee is obviously bothering him, then replace him with Scar. Whether they bring in Scar early or late, or at all, should depend on Jake's play. Yes, there is a chance that could put us in a hole, but the decision could be made in the first quarter. Or, the other option would be to give Bentley the first series and if we don't move the ball then give Scar the second possession. Then they could assess and pick the one who is playing the best to finish the half. But I would start Bentley. I just don't see how you could not.

There is a chance? Have you seen Bentley play healthy? Now imagine that against a ranked team injured.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:18 PM   #30
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Typical response to something you can't refute.
I've been all over this board the last two days saying Jake should be the starter. I've also said that Jake needs to clean up some of his forced throws, and quite possibly, BMac needs to limit the amount of decision-making ability that Jake has. He still needs to have more than what Scarnecchia was given against Missouri, but maybe just a little bit less than what he currently has.

But here we go...

1. Jake has a much higher upside. WAY higher upside.
2. Missouri just isn't even that good defensively. Jake has played against way tougher defenses, including UGA, who he played really well against.
3. You're saying Scarnecchia is our better option based on a single game where he wasn't even asked to do that much.
4. Jake has been a three-year (two and a half) starter over Scarnecchia who has been here for 5 years. I don't think any of us have more first-hand knowledge of the two than Muschamp/McClendon/Werner.

There are four things right there just to kick off our conversation if you want to have one. Can't wait to hear about how Jake is only starting because his dad is on staff though.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:27 PM   #31
Master Bedroom
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 10500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
I've been all over this board the last two days saying Jake should be the starter. I've also said that Jake needs to clean up some of his forced throws, and quite possibly, BMac needs to limit the amount of decision-making ability that Jake has. He still needs to have more than what Scarnecchia was given against Missouri, but maybe just a little bit less than what he currently has.

But here we go...

1. Jake has a much higher upside. WAY higher upside.
2. Missouri just isn't even that good defensively. Jake has played against way tougher defenses, including UGA, who he played really well against.
3. You're saying Scarnecchia is our better option based on a single game where he wasn't even asked to do that much.
4. Jake has been a three-year (two and a half) starter over Scarnecchia who has been here for 5 years. I don't think any of us have more first-hand knowledge of the two than Muschamp/McClendon/Werner.

There are four things right there just to kick off our conversation if you want to have one. Can't wait to hear about how Jake is only starting because his dad is on staff though.
Why do people keep saying this? Halfway through his junior year...when do people expect all of this tremendous upside to come to revelation? I am not saying he is bad, at all. He will be remembered as a good QB who played awful against good competition. I feel like, at this point, we pretty much know what we are getting with Jake Bentley
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:29 PM   #32
WeDemBoyz
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 5500
WeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his comb

I don't think anyone is saying Bentley 100% may not be the better option, but to not try Scar out this week after last weekend is just dumb. Everyone keeps saying ohh Jake has all of the experience and Scar doesn't, well no sh** that's because Scar hasn't been given the chance. You have to give someone a try to give them experience. And so far Jake has proven with his "experience" that he can't do anything against a good defense. I think everyone will shut up and be fine if Scar is just given the opportunity and we can know FOR SURE we don't have any better option.
WeDemBoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:31 PM   #33
WeDemBoyz
4-Star

Male

WeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his comb

And I would never even mention giving Scar an opportunity had JB not been hurt last week, sometimes you just find out something different when an injury happens i.e. Jacob Eason and Jake Fromm at UGA.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:38 PM   #34
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeDemBoyz View Post
I don't think anyone is saying Bentley 100% may not be the better option, but to not try Scar out this week after last weekend is just dumb. Everyone keeps saying ohh Jake has all of the experience and Scar doesn't, well no sh** that's because Scar hasn't been given the chance. You have to give someone a try to give them experience. And so far Jake has proven with his "experience" that he can't do anything against a good defense. I think everyone will shut up and be fine if Scar is just given the opportunity and we can know FOR SURE we don't have any better option.
Experience is just one part of it. Did anybody see Scarnecchia make any throws that Jake wouldn't be able to make last weekend? Honestly. I did not. The guy racked up yards on pretty short passes where he wasn't really being asked to do anything.

Besides, this isn't a process of elimination type of scenario. We don't just toss guys into a game to see if they suck so we can cross them off the list. That is just a terrible way to manage the situation. Otherwise, why not start Urich or Joyner? They haven't gotten their shot yet. It's only a conference game. How do we know FOR SURE one of them isn't the best option?
Old 10-10-2018, 03:40 PM   #35
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeDemBoyz View Post
And I would never even mention giving Scar an opportunity had JB not been hurt last week, sometimes you just find out something different when an injury happens i.e. Jacob Eason and Jake Fromm at UGA.
Just so we're clear...this is nothing like going from Eason to Fromm.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:41 PM   #36
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bedroom View Post
Why do people keep saying this? Halfway through his junior year...when do people expect all of this tremendous upside to come to revelation? I am not saying he is bad, at all. He will be remembered as a good QB who played awful against good competition. I feel like, at this point, we pretty much know what we are getting with Jake Bentley
Jake has played pretty well in most games. We've all seen what he's capable of. Just don't expect Tua-type numbers.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:42 PM   #37
WeDemBoyz
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Experience is just one part of it. Did anybody see Scarnecchia make any throws that Jake wouldn't be able to make last weekend? Honestly. I did not. The guy racked up yards on pretty short passes where he wasn't really being asked to do anything.

Besides, this isn't a process of elimination type of scenario. We don't just toss guys into a game to see if they suck so we can cross them off the list. That is just a terrible way to manage the situation. Otherwise, why not start Urich or Joyner? They haven't gotten their shot yet. It's only a conference game. How do we know FOR SURE one of them isn't the best option?
Scar was consistently more accurate, in one game I will say, than Jake typically is. I've seen JB make the throw before then overthrow the open receiver the very next play, or make a pass that leaves a receiver high and dry i.e. leading to drops. I was never for what you are suggesting just throwing guys out there, Scar got his shot through an injury and proved himself in a game, so why not give him another? Or hell just a few series?
Old 10-10-2018, 03:43 PM   #38
Master Bedroom
Heisman Winner

Male

Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:

Yes a fade route. If he can throw a wheel route then that is 2. I also saw him use touch when he needed to and throw receivers open
Old 10-10-2018, 03:44 PM   #39
WeDemBoyz
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Just so we're clear...this is nothing like going from Eason to Fromm.
I agree both QBs probably have higher ceilings at UGA and there is more talent surrounding the QBs at UGA, but the injury situation is similar. If Eason never gets hurt he's still the guy, they probably win their Richt-esque 9-10 games and everyone says hey let's keep him in.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:46 PM   #40
Master Bedroom
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Jake has played pretty well in most games. We've all seen what he's capable of. Just don't expect Tua-type numbers.
Wtf? He has shown nothing to prove he can play against a good caliber opponent, not a knock but the reality. Sometimes by being the safer option the guy can also be the better option. I am not saying this is the case, but if Scarnecchia could go out against good teams, hit the high percentage throws and not turn the ball over then he should give SC a better chance in those games...in theory.